ImageImage

Series Thread: Reds @ Brewers

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,051

Re: Series Thread: Reds @ Brewers 

Post#21 » by Thunder Muscle » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:41 pm

So Thames was tested again last night? Geesh. At what point is it a witch hunt? But as said, if he keeps passing the tests it only enhances what he is doing. At some point he'll cool off and sure alot of this will subside.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,834

Post#22 » by coolhandluke121 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:48 pm

I'm okay with people being extremely cynical about PED's, especially when it comes to a guy who spent 3 years overseas where they presumably don't test for PED's like they do here. But Thames has always been built like this, and for some guys it's genetic. He "came out of nowhere" because he learned some plate discipline, not because he got stronger. Do they have steroids for that? Also, he looks huge but not bloated, and his head and face are lean compared to noted steroid users. Roids make you retain water and your frame gets bigger, but Thames doesn't have that appearance. I'm cautiously optimistic that he's clean.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,155
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#23 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:51 pm

The thing that is interesting with Thames from just watching highlights of his HRs is that his swing is so short. I think that bodes well going forward? He's so jacked that he's getting the ball out of the park on these short swings that seem to be meant for gappers.

Just my amateur analysis, but it seems like power hitters come from way back and finish in their HR pose. Thames looks like he's just flipping the bat at the ball and is already on his way to 1st when he contacts it. Maybe the fact that Thames is so jacked is giving me an optical illusion there.

He seems like he's not getting any arm extension on half of these homers.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,743

Post#24 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:03 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:The thing that is interesting with Thames from just watching highlights of his HRs is that his swing is so short. I think that bodes well going forward? He's so jacked that he's getting the ball out of the park on these short swings that seem to be meant for gappers.

Just my amateur analysis, but it seems like power hitters come from way back and finish in their HR pose. Thames looks like he's just flipping the bat at the ball and is already on his way to 1st when he contacts it. Maybe the fact that Thames is so jacked is giving me an optical illusion there.

There's been some in depth writing over the last week about Thame's approach and re-worked swing. He's more closed off than he was, his front foot now stays planted, his hands are lower. To your point about his swing, he no longer swings down at the ball, instead starting lower and moving the bat on a level plane through the zone. If it looks like his swing is now shorter, it's because it is. Presumably a big reason for success is due to his enormous strength he doesn't need a big gather in order to hit the ball a long way. The fact that he's currently 2nd best in MLB in terms of laying off pitches outside of the zone certainly helps too.

I think what he's doing is sustainable. Not in the way that he's gonna hit 80 home runs on the year, but that he's gonna consistently make good contact.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#25 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:06 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:The thing that is interesting with Thames from just watching highlights of his HRs is that his swing is so short. I think that bodes well going forward? He's so jacked that he's getting the ball out of the park on these short swings that seem to be meant for gappers.

There's been some in depth writing over the last week about Thame's approach and re-worked swing. He's more closed off than he was, his front foot now stays planted, his hands are lower. To your point about his swing, he no longer swings down at the ball, instead starting lower and moving the bat on a level playing plane through the zone. If it looks like his swing is now shorter, it's because it is. Presumably a big reason for success is due to his enormous strength he doesn't need a big gather in order to hit the ball a long way. The fact that he's currently 2nd best in MLB in terms of laying off pitches outside of the zone certainly helps too.

I think what he's doing is sustainable. Not in the way that he's gonna hit 80 home runs on the year, but that he's gonna consistently make good contact.

Yeah, I also added that he's not getting the arm extension that you, I, and most MLB power hitters need to hit it out. He's playing in a good park for this. The wind was blowing in at Wrigley so that might have been tough, but it seems like about 5 of his dingers have been balls he's "fought off" the other way into the gap but he's snuck them over the shorter left-center fence at Wrigley, Great American, and Miller. If he was a Dodger or even Pirate player, he'd probably only have 6 or 7 dingers but still the great OBP.
VooDoo7
RealGM
And1: 20,789

Post#26 » by VooDoo7 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:18 pm

Thames getting testing so many times already has to be one of the best forms of flattery there is.

I love his response.

“If people keep thinking I’m on stuff, I’ll be here every day. I have a lot of blood and urine,” said Thames, still wearing the Band-Aid in the crook of his left arm from the blood draw.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#27 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:14 pm

One thing with Thames and the entire offense - I think it's really good...but there will be some course correction when we face the Reds staff a lot less. We've also spent a lot of time in hitter's parks.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,884

Post#28 » by humanrefutation » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:30 pm

I mean, I think the modern-day use of PEDs is different than it was 15-20 years ago. Take Braun, for example. He wasn't juicing to get all muscular and to increase his power. Indeed, the year after he was popped, he hit the most home runs he's ever hit. When he's healthy, he's consistently a 30-40 HR guy.

The PEDs he used were for recovery from nagging injuries that were plaguing him. He isn't a Mark McGwire or Barry Bonds or even, on a smaller scale, a guy like Brett Boone. The PEDs enabled him to keep playing and feel great.

So for people to accuse Thames of being a roided out freak because he's hitting 11 home runs in April is a fundamental misunderstanding of how PEDs are used these days.

That doesn't mean he isn't using them. He very well could be. The fact that he's passing drug tests isn't necessarily evident of the fact that he's clean, either, as a lot of the guys who were popped for PED use were able to test negative due to a variety of factors.

But that goes for anyone, really.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,319

Post#29 » by crkone » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:40 pm

Arcia yo

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,821

Post#30 » by Turk Nowitzki » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:52 pm

Can we just keep playing the Reds for the rest of the season?
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,821

Post#31 » by Turk Nowitzki » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:33 pm

Nice to see Arcia pick up a few hits, even if it's against **** pitching.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,319

Post#32 » by crkone » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:43 pm

Jeez someone just professed his love for Scooter that could clearly be heard on the radio.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
BigDee
RealGM
And1: 1,349

Post#33 » by BigDee » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:11 pm

Nice to see Arcia bring his bat today.
BigDee
RealGM
And1: 1,349

Post#34 » by BigDee » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:16 pm

Hope Thames ok.
wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Post#35 » by wichmae » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:13 am

Barnes is what people though Magnifico could be. Utter filth. Barnes will be a dominant closer in due time. Love the way we groom late inning guys. Watch out for Nate Greip coming through minors as the next in a long line of nasty back end guys.

Return to Milwaukee Brewers