ImageImageImage

Mavericks 2017 Draft #9

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Jinra
Starter
And1: 121

Re: Mavericks 2017 Draft 

Post#561 » by Jinra » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:18 pm

I like Chris Paul the player, my problem though is if he cannot win with the cast he has in LA, than what does he need??? And can any team provide a better cast than what the Clippers have now.

I would love to have CP3 on my team, but something about his NBA success (or lack thereof) bothers me.
Dallas Mavericks 2011 NBA World Champions!!!
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,274

Post#562 » by Clyde Frazier » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:39 pm

Mr B wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
And yet you'd trade all the youth/assets we have for Carmelo Anthony and Dwight Howard, two guys who are clearly past their primes with unquestionable selfish/character issues, on way overpaid contracts.

I dont know why i respond to you but im bored at work, yes i will trade noel, powell, and barea for 2 years of howard and melo to compete in dirks twilight, and if u dont think he'd have a much better team rolling out harris, matthews,barnes,melo,dwight, with dirk and seth coming off the bench, than that mess of a team we rolled out this year, u know less about basketball than i thought.

I think you're on an island when it comes to Melo and Dwight. You should ask Porzingis what he thinks about Melo. I want no part of either of those guys in this locker room. Honestly I seriously doubt Dirk does either. And I could guess that Carlisle DEFINITELY wants no part of Melo and Dwight being around his team.

I do think think that there is a chance that the Mavs could end up with Chris Paul though. If the Clippers lose in the 1st round, hell if they don't at very least get to the WC Finals there is a good chance they will blow that team up. Griffin isn't coming to Dallas but I have a feeling that Chris Paul could be talked into coming to Dallas. They may not even have to give up Noel (I wouldn't do it if it meant giving up Noel). If (Big if) he decided to play in Dallas it would be because of Dirk.

I wouldn't advocate for melo or dwight simply because the mavs should be trying to stay young and develop more within, but melo gets along great with porzingis and his other teammates. When your starting PG (rose) doesn't get others involved, everyone suffers. The drama and dysfunction surrounding the team is largely due to the nightmare front office in dolan and now phil.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,001

Post#563 » by Mr B » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:44 pm

Clyde Frazier wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:I dont know why i respond to you but im bored at work, yes i will trade noel, powell, and barea for 2 years of howard and melo to compete in dirks twilight, and if u dont think he'd have a much better team rolling out harris, matthews,barnes,melo,dwight, with dirk and seth coming off the bench, than that mess of a team we rolled out this year, u know less about basketball than i thought.

I think you're on an island when it comes to Melo and Dwight. You should ask Porzingis what he thinks about Melo. I want no part of either of those guys in this locker room. Honestly I seriously doubt Dirk does either. And I could guess that Carlisle DEFINITELY wants no part of Melo and Dwight being around his team.

I do think think that there is a chance that the Mavs could end up with Chris Paul though. If the Clippers lose in the 1st round, hell if they don't at very least get to the WC Finals there is a good chance they will blow that team up. Griffin isn't coming to Dallas but I have a feeling that Chris Paul could be talked into coming to Dallas. They may not even have to give up Noel (I wouldn't do it if it meant giving up Noel). If (Big if) he decided to play in Dallas it would be because of Dirk.

I wouldn't advocate for melo or dwight simply because the mavs should be trying to stay young and develop more within, but melo gets along great with porzingis and his other teammates. When your starting PG (rose) doesn't get others involved, everyone suffers. The drama and dysfunction surrounding the team is largely due to the nightmare front office in dolan and now phil.

If Phil (and Hornacek) isn't careful he's going to ruin Porzingis or force him to look for a new team.
agentofatlas
Sixth Man
And1: 983

Post#564 » by agentofatlas » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:10 am

You know i was looking at Boston's and the Knick's board to see their draft consensus and for some reason they have this impression that Dallas will take on anybody. Then i look in this thread and like wow they are right. I mean Dwight? Melo? Bledsoe? Jesus those are good players but in no way do they move the needle now.

The only players that I''ll trade for is Blake and maybe someone young whose value is down like Jabari but even then they also have their own set of problems.

The Mavs needs to keep this simple. Just draft whoever they want. That's it.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#565 » by Mr B » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:17 pm

agentofatlas wrote:You know i was looking at Boston's and the Knick's board to see their draft consensus and for some reason they have this impression that Dallas will take on anybody. Then i look in this thread and like wow they are right. I mean Dwight? Melo? Bledsoe? Jesus those are good players but in no way do they move the needle now.

The only players that I''ll trade for is Blake and maybe someone young whose value is down like Jabari but even then they also have their own set of problems.

Some Mavs fans would be willing to take on anyone but I doubt the actual team will. It's clear they are moving in a rebuilding direction. So I doubt the team views guys like Melo and Dwight an option. I even doubt they view Bledsoe as an option because of his injury history. Especially considering their experience with Chandler Parsons. Jabari would be interesting but he plays the same position as Barnes doesn't he? Also I'd say Barnes is better and also doesn't have the injury history that Jabari has.

I agree though that they should just keep it simple and draft the best player available when their pick comes up.
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#566 » by Pinkyring » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:28 pm

Mr B wrote:
agentofatlas wrote:You know i was looking at Boston's and the Knick's board to see their draft consensus and for some reason they have this impression that Dallas will take on anybody. Then i look in this thread and like wow they are right. I mean Dwight? Melo? Bledsoe? Jesus those are good players but in no way do they move the needle now.

Some Mavs fans would be willing to take on anyone but I doubt the actual team will. It's clear they are moving in a rebuilding direction. So I doubt the team views guys like Melo and Dwight an option. I even doubt they view Bledsoe as an option because of his injury history. Especially considering their experience with Chandler Parsons. Jabari would be interesting but he plays the same position as Barnes doesn't he? Also I'd say Barnes is better and also doesn't have the injury history that Jabari has.

I agree though that they should just keep it simple and draft the best player available when their pick comes up.

Taking on anyone is a stretch, melo and dwight are still really good players and again if we take them on in my scenario it'd help us compete short term and help the rebuild, in the deals i proposed we move barea, powell, cap space and noel, melo and dwight and matthews expire in 2 yrs we would still have barnes and hopefully a developing draft pick and a ton of cap room. I feel differently about noel than some people, youth doesnt excite me if the price tag is high and the production isnt, im not comfortable locking up noel on a 4/100 when he hasnt shown worth of that money and has major injury concerns.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#567 » by Mr B » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:51 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
Mr B wrote:

Taking on anyone is a stretch, melo and dwight are still really good players and again if we take them on in my scenario it'd help us compete short term and help the rebuild, in the deals i proposed we move barea, powell, cap space and noel, melo and dwight and matthews expire in 2 yrs we would still have barnes and hopefully a developing draft pick and a ton of cap room. I feel differently about noel than some people, youth doesnt excite me if the price tag is high and the production isnt, im not comfortable locking up noel on a 4/100 when he hasnt shown worth of that money and has major injury concerns.

On paper they would definitely be better however the 2011 team confirmed (for those who didn't already know) that team chemistry matters. Dwight and Melo are proven chemistry killers, especially Dwight. I honestly think the team you are proposing wouldn't even win 40 games much less compete for a title.
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#568 » by Pinkyring » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:07 pm

Mr B wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:
Mr B wrote:

On paper they would definitely be better however the 2011 team confirmed (for those who didn't already know) that team chemistry matters. Dwight and Melo are proven chemistry killers, especially Dwight. I honestly think the team you are proposing wouldn't even win 40 games much less compete for a title.

Thats your opinion and thats fine, its the coaches job to build chemistry, people talk about dwight but where was he a problem? He was fine in orlando until he wanted out and was lied to by management, he and kobe didnt get along, what else is new as nobody likes kobe, and he was fine in houston and is fine in Atlanta, on paper its a 50 plus win team and if carlisle can work some magic we could make it to the semi finals, id rather that for 2 years than 2 years of 35-40 win seasons and 12th picks which is where we are headed
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,032

Post#569 » by daoneandonly » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:27 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:Taking on anyone is a stretch, melo and dwight are still really good players and again if we take them on in my scenario it'd help us compete short term and help the rebuild, in the deals i proposed we move barea, powell, cap space and noel, melo and dwight and matthews expire in 2 yrs we would still have barnes and hopefully a developing draft pick and a ton of cap room. I feel differently about noel than some people, youth doesnt excite me if the price tag is high and the production isnt, im not comfortable locking up noel on a 4/100 when he hasnt shown worth of that money and has major injury concerns.

Thats your opinion and thats fine, its the coaches job to build chemistry, people talk about dwight but where was he a problem? He was fine in orlando until he wanted out and was lied to by management, he and kobe didnt get along, what else is new as nobody likes kobe, and he was fine in houston and is fine in Atlanta, on paper its a 50 plus win team and if carlisle can work some magic we could make it to the semi finals, id rather that for 2 years than 2 years of 35-40 win seasons and 12th picks which is where we are headed

No reason to keep justifying when you're the only one thinking this is a good idea, let that sink in before you throw out veiled insults like you don't watch or know anything about basketball. Howard had plenty of issues in Houston, and Pau had no problems with Kobe in LAL, so nobody likes Kobe includes who? Shaq and Dwight? Two guys who have circled the NBA globe because they don't get along with people either.
agentofatlas
Sixth Man

Post#570 » by agentofatlas » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:30 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:Taking on anyone is a stretch, melo and dwight are still really good players and again if we take them on in my scenario it'd help us compete short term and help the rebuild, in the deals i proposed we move barea, powell, cap space and noel, melo and dwight and matthews expire in 2 yrs we would still have barnes and hopefully a developing draft pick and a ton of cap room. I feel differently about noel than some people, youth doesnt excite me if the price tag is high and the production isnt, im not comfortable locking up noel on a 4/100 when he hasnt shown worth of that money and has major injury concerns.

Prime Dwight was great man. He truly was. He or Dirk should've won Rose's MVP. Unfortunately Prime Dwight is long gone. He can't score consistently in the post anymore, he refuses to do the pick and roll and his athleticism has dipped.

I agree that a Melo and Dwight team will be a good team but it'll be a good team without any upside. Like I said I rather have Blake (cause i really like his floor game and feel like he's a little underrated) or trade for Jabari (whose an explosive scorer this year before the injury).

But the best move really is to just draft someone. Cheaper too.
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#571 » by Pinkyring » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:53 pm

agentofatlas wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:
Mr B wrote:

Prime Dwight was great man. He truly was. He or Dirk should've won Rose's MVP. Unfortunately Prime Dwight is long gone. He can't score consistently in the post anymore, he refuses to do the pick and roll and his athleticism has dipped.

I agree that a Melo and Dwight team will be a good team but it'll be a good team without any upside. Like I said I rather have Blake (cause i really like his floor game and feel like he's a little underrated) or trade for Jabari (whose an explosive scorer this year before the injury).

Blake isnt going to happen, in my scenario we arent losing any picks so we still draft well, this is simply a 2 year plan that keeps us relevant while barnes and our picks develop, then in 2 years 70m comes off the books, all we are paying is barnes and a couple guys on rookie scales who hopefully can play. As for dwight, this season he was 14,13,1 on 63% shooting and per of 20.89 thats still damn good and better than anything we have upfront
agentofatlas
Sixth Man

Post#572 » by agentofatlas » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:08 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
agentofatlas wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:Thats your opinion and thats fine, its the coaches job to build chemistry, people talk about dwight but where was he a problem? He was fine in orlando until he wanted out and was lied to by management, he and kobe didnt get along, what else is new as nobody likes kobe, and he was fine in houston and is fine in Atlanta, on paper its a 50 plus win team and if carlisle can work some magic we could make it to the semi finals, id rather that for 2 years than 2 years of 35-40 win seasons and 12th picks which is where we are headed

Blake isnt going to happen, in my scenario we arent losing any picks so we still draft well, this is simply a 2 year plan that keeps us relevant while barnes and our picks develop, then in 2 years 70m comes off the books, all we are paying is barnes and a couple guys on rookie scales who hopefully can play. As for dwight, this season he was 14,13,1 on 63% shooting and per of 20.89 thats still damn good and better than anything we have upfront

I'll still have to pass man. You should probably go to the Atlanta board just to see what this version of Dwight brings defensively. Its not good. Plus,watching the playoffs, Gortat is pretty much outplaying him by a wide margin. I rather we just play our young guys, see what we have and let them grow into their roles.
Mr B
RealGM

Mavericks 2017 Draft 

Post#573 » by Mr B » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:14 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
agentofatlas wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:Thats your opinion and thats fine, its the coaches job to build chemistry, people talk about dwight but where was he a problem? He was fine in orlando until he wanted out and was lied to by management, he and kobe didnt get along, what else is new as nobody likes kobe, and he was fine in houston and is fine in Atlanta, on paper its a 50 plus win team and if carlisle can work some magic we could make it to the semi finals, id rather that for 2 years than 2 years of 35-40 win seasons and 12th picks which is where we are headed

The problem with having Melo on a young team is we won't be able to develop them because Melo likes to dominate the ball. Also he plays basically the same position as Barnes. So Barnes wouldn't get much development. Also I think adding both of them would mean the end for Carlisle in Dallas. I don't think any of us want that.

Like I said, I can understand where you're coming from because on paper it looks like a good team but chemistry wise it would kill our locker room. I disagree completely that it's the coaches job to develop the chemistry. That's totally on the players. If they don't like each other they are not going to play well together.
Torgeir Bryn
Pro Prospect
And1: 657

Post#574 » by Torgeir Bryn » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:41 am

Pinkyring wrote:
agentofatlas wrote:

Have you seen him in the playoffs this year? He is getting worked by Gortat.
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man
And1: 279

Post#575 » by SOUNDCHASER » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:04 am

We need to just take our pick and get the BPA no need to cut deals and trade guys we have holes to fill and if we draft a decent PG we got one less hole to fill. Then next season we get another decent player and continue to do that till we start making the playoffs again.

Build it right guys there is no quick fix taking on older vets like Melo unless they give him away for whatever we decide to cough up and that would not be a lot if you ask me. Why be generous they lost their ability to negotiate.

1. Draft Pick Yogi JJ
2. Curry Wes Liggins
3. Barnes DFS Brussino
4. Dirk Powell FA
5. Noel Mejri Hammons

That will get us developing a team for the future with sold potential stars developing at the 3 and 1 to compliment our own vets. If we traded for Melo who do you give up were it does not cause a problem. We are strong at the 3 which is were Melo plays.

Barnes our best player is a freaking 3 so that idea is just dumb as hell. We need him to be a 3 not a PF.

Draft Ntilikina and or any other PG rated higher. We need someone with size and who can defend and hit 3's that sounds like Frank to me. put him on the team and with Wes and Curry we are strong at the guards. SF is solid Dirk needs a better backup who can shoot the 3 and take over when he retires and it appears to me center is fairly solid as well as deep.

If we do this then somehow we would just need to snag us free agent that can back up Dirk and play maybe be flexible to play some center and rebound the question though is who.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 845

Post#576 » by Teffer10 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:23 pm

SOUNDCHASER wrote:We need to just take our pick and get the BPA no need to cut deals and trade guys we have holes to fill and if we draft a decent PG we got one less hole to fill. Then next season we get another decent player and continue to do that till we start making the playoffs again.

Build it right guys there is no quick fix taking on older vets like Melo unless they give him away for whatever we decide to cough up and that would not be a lot if you ask me. Why be generous they lost their ability to negotiate.

1. Draft Pick Yogi JJ
2. Curry Wes Liggins
3. Barnes DFS Brussino
4. Dirk Powell FA
5. Noel Mejri Hammons

That will get us developing a team for the future with sold potential stars developing at the 3 and 1 to compliment our own vets. If we traded for Melo who do you give up were it does not cause a problem. We are strong at the 3 which is were Melo plays.

Barnes our best player is a freaking 3 so that idea is just dumb as hell. We need him to be a 3 not a PF.

Draft Ntilikina and or any other PG rated higher. We need someone with size and who can defend and hit 3's that sounds like Frank to me. put him on the team and with Wes and Curry we are strong at the guards. SF is solid Dirk needs a better backup who can shoot the 3 and take over when he retires and it appears to me center is fairly solid as well as deep.

If we do this then somehow we would just need to snag us free agent that can back up Dirk and play maybe be flexible to play some center and rebound the question though is who.

I agree with this....can see us drafting Ntilikina, Collins or Markkanen.
Ntilikina would fill the PG you mention and Markkanen or Collins could answer your last question.
But either way we draft for one and fill the other void through FA.
Powell and Yogi should be backup plans if we are unable to fill either of those two voids and I'm not completely convinced they couldn't anyway.
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#577 » by Pinkyring » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:05 pm

I had a dream last night we're getting the second pick and taking lonzo ball. Lakers win the lottery and take fultz book it
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 845

Post#578 » by Teffer10 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:47 pm

Pinkyring wrote:I had a dream last night we're getting the second pick and taking lonzo ball. Lakers win the lottery and take fultz book it

Good heavens...... you're going to have to do something about those nightmares :)
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,814

Post#579 » by dirkforpres » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:23 pm

Pinkyring wrote:I had a dream last night we're getting the second pick and taking lonzo ball. Lakers win the lottery and take fultz book it

Pretty sure we would take Jackson, but nothing wrong with Lonzo.. he will be good in the NBA. You might have to deal with Lavar, but him and Mark Cuban can be loudmouth dumbasses together in harmony
FIRE JASON KIDD
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,032

Post#580 » by daoneandonly » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:51 pm

dirkforpres wrote:

Pretty sure we would take Jackson, but nothing wrong with Lonzo.. he will be good in the NBA. You might have to deal with Lavar, but him and Mark Cuban can be loudmouth dumbasses together in harmony

I've been thinking, could you imagine Lavar and Cubes together? The NBA world will explode

Return to Dallas Mavericks