ImageImageImageImageImage

Prospects and trade discussion

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb

Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Great White Hope and Dodgers Prospects' Rankings in Top 100 

Post#581 » by Ranma » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:12 am

I've been high on Mitchell White since I've read up about him after the draft and have considered him among our top 10 best prospects in the system right now, so I'm glad to see that he's generating some buzz. Plus, kudos to newcomer Tom Kunis for finding him.

Also of interest is that Law observed former Dodger Jose Peraza at SS and noted how polished he look at the position, especially for a player who has played 2B for over the past 2 years.

Read on Twitter

Keith Law, ESPNinsider.com (3/15/17)
The Dodgers took right-handed starter Mitch White in the second round of the 2016 MLB draft out of Santa Clara University, where he was a redshirt sophomore and had just completed his first season as a starting pitcher. White went with the 65th overall pick in that draft, but if teams redrafted today, he might go in the top five overall.

First-year area scout Tom Kunis, who’d previously worked as an assistant coach at several Division I programs, including eight years on the coaching staff at Stanford, drafted White. The Dodgers brass gave Kunis credit for identifying White early last spring as someone who might see his velocity improve as the season went on, which it did. White finished his 2016 spring touching the mid-90s, but now he’s sitting there and showing a better breaking ball as well.

The Dodgers obviously took it easy on him even though he wasn’t worked hard as an amateur. If this two-inning look was any indication of what he really is now that he’s completely healthy and working with pro coaches, the Dodgers might have landed the best college pitcher in the draft.

Dodgers Prospect Mitch White Could Be the 2016 Draft's Top Pitcher

Dustin Nosler, DodgersDigest.com (3/15/17)

Looking at How Dodgers’ Prospects Rank, Globally
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM

Buzz on Buehler 

Post#582 » by Ranma » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:55 am

Ken Gurnick, MLB.com (3/18/17)
Whenever he throws, Dodgers brass is there. It could be a bullpen session or, like Friday against the Tijuana Toros, one inning of a Minor League game.

But he's already being mentioned in the same breath as Kershaw and Julio Urias, the two best starting pitchers the club has developed in the last decade.

"It's elite stuff," said big-league pitching coach Rick Honeycutt. "You take any of these young men and you see their stuff, and all you want to know is, when is the right time? And they tell you when is the right time. But the actual pitch-ability and actual stuff ranks up there pretty much with anybody."

As a college pitcher, Buehler is older than Kershaw or Urias were after two professional seasons, Honeycutt noted. This spring, Buehler has trimmed his pitch mix with the goal of throwing fewer types of pitches, better.

"It's great, I throw four pitches, but do I command one? Two? Four?" said Honeycutt. "Right now they want him to command the four-seam. I saw him working on a two-seamer for half his bullpen. He's throwing upper-90s with a four-seamer, why mess with that right now? Get the four-seamer and find which breaking ball works. For four innings, he can probably pitch with two pitches."

Prospect Buehler Receiving High Praise

Keith Law, ESPNinsider.com (3/18/17)
Some leftover notes from Dodgers camp: Right-hander Walker Buehler (ranked No. 40 in the top 100) threw a short live batting practice session and was throwing 95-98 mph, as well as a plus curveball thrown at 83-84 mph and a riding change at 89-91 mph. He was the team’s first-round pick in 2015 but had Tommy John surgery after signing, returning to pitch last summer in a relief role. His stuff is big-league ready, and he was always a strike-thrower, so I think his timetable is entirely about what his arm can handle.

Padres Rich in Prospects After Massive Latin Investments
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,638

Re: Prospects and trade discussion 

Post#583 » by Quake Griffin » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:04 am

“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Ranma
RealGM

5 Dodgers on FanGraphs Top 100 Prospects for 2017 

Post#584 » by Ranma » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:07 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2017-top-100-prospects/

Eric Longenhagen, FanGraphs.com (3/13/17)

2017 Top 100 Prospects
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#585 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:17 am

Would you guys be interested in dealing for Jose Quintana?

Great contract. Solid young arm. Makes it worth a win now move.

Kershaw
Hill
Quintana
Julio
Ryu/McCarthy/Maeda

Lucky Lefties.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#586 » by Neddy » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:14 am

Quake Griffin wrote:Would you guys be interested in dealing for Jose Quintana?

Great contract. Solid young arm. Makes it worth a win now move.

Kershaw
Hill
Quintana
Julio
Ryu/McCarthy/Maeda

Lucky Lefties.

naw.

we have plenty of pitching and god knows white sox are gonna be asking for the farm including Urias. and if Julio was to be excluded, it would take Alvarez and Bellinger.

we are fine as we are. Kershaw-Hill-Maeda-Ryu-McCarty is a very fine rotation while holding on to our prospects, as well as keeping our assets in AAA.
ehhhhh f it.
Ranma
RealGM

Not Keen on Quintana 

Post#587 » by Ranma » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:44 am

Neddy wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:Would you guys be interested in dealing for Jose Quintana?

naw.

we have plenty of pitching and god knows white sox are gonna be asking for the farm including Urias. and if Julio was to be excluded, it would take Alvarez and Bellinger.

we are fine as we are. Kershaw-Hill-Maeda-Ryu-McCarty is a very fine rotation while holding on to our prospects, as well as keeping our assets in AAA.

I'm not really keen on adding another left-hander to the starting rotation unless it was Chris Sale or David Price, but I was never onboard for paying the price in prospects for either of those two and I'm certainly not inclined to do the same for Quintana. Admittedly, I haven't followed Jose Quintana's career even though I know you've been high on him, but from what I've gathered, he lacks pure stuff while having good poise.

I'm actually fine with what we have despite the recent lost of De Leon since Urias is waiting in the wings to take over a spot in the rotation fairly soon and Alvarez and Buehler are both in line to vie for spots in the foreseeable future. Plus, I'm banking on actually going all out for Shohei Otani within the next year or two even with our obstacles in terms of the international signing restrictions through next offseason. Not to mention that the organization seems high on Brock Stewart and I'd be fine with him at the 5th spot in the rotation for now if McCarthy or Wood don't work out there or if Ryu is reinjured.
Ranma
RealGM

Andrew Toles as Hood's New 6th-Best Dodgers Prospect 

Post#588 » by Ranma » Sun Apr 2, 2017 5:40 am

With De Leon's departure from the organization, Alvarez (2nd), Buehler (3rd), Verdugo (4th), and Stewart (5th) all moved up one spot in David Hood's rankings.

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

2017 Prospect Best Tools Rankings 

Post#589 » by Ranma » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:50 am

Read on Twitter

Ranma
RealGM

Mitchell White Scouting Report and BA Notes 2 Dodger Prospects 

Post#590 » by Ranma » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:52 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Dustin Nosler, DodgersDigest.com (4/14/17)

Summary: If the draft were held again, White certainly wouldn’t have made it to the second round. He might not have made it out of the top half of the first round. He has done nothing but impress since he was selected, and he is on the fast track to the majors.

Future: White could be on the fast track. It wouldn’t be surprising to see him jump all the way from High-A to the majors this season, but I wouldn’t bet on it. But if he continues to perform, he’ll be a strong candidate for Los Angeles sometime in 2018 — likely as a reliever. His future is in the starting rotation, though. He has more than enough stuff, but he needs to build up his workload. He only threw 2-inning outings in his pro debut and has a 4- and 5-inning outing under his belt so far this season. For him to be a starting pitcher long-term, he’ll need to build up his stamina in the minors. But if the Dodgers need a talented arm in bullpen, White will be on the short list. If he makes it as a starter, it’d be shocking if he were anything less than a No. 3 starter. He has No. 2 starter upside. Look for him to place highly in my midseason Top 30 (July).

2017 Dodgers Prospects: RHP Mitchell White Scouting Report

Staff Report, Baseball America (4/14/17)

Prospect Hot Sheet (April 14)
Ranma
RealGM

Bellinger's Anticipated Call-Up with Respect to Previous Dodgers Prospects 

Post#591 » by Ranma » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:28 am

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Smith, Sheffield, and Bellinger Catches Eye of MLB Pipeline's Prospect Watch 

Post#592 » by Ranma » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:18 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Mike Rosenbaum, MLB.com (4/24/17)
C: Will Smith , Rancho Cucamonga Quakes (Class A Advanced)
(Dodgers' No. 14 prospect)
7 G, .440/.548/.920, 4 R, 3 2B, 3 HR, 6 RBIs, 5 BB, 5 K, 4 SB

Smith tallied a hit in all seven games last week for the Quakes, with six of his 11 hits going for extra bases. Three of those hits were home runs, largely thanks to his first career multihomer game on Sunday, and he also stole four bases in as many attempts. And though he started a majority of his games behind the plate, Smith started two games at second base, as well as one at the hot corner.

All-Brewers Outfield Headlines Prospect Team of the Week

Mike Rosenbaum, MLB.com (4/21/17)
2. Cody Bellinger, 1B/OF, Dodgers (Previous rank: 3)
With his elite raw power, mature approach and underrated feel for manipulating the barrel, Bellinger, 21, is the most impactful hitting prospect in the Minor Leagues. His impressive start to the season only confirms that notion, as the No. 10-overall prospect owns a .352/.426/.704 slash line with five homers, four doubles and 14 RBIs through 14 games at Triple-A Oklahoma City. Though he's an outstanding defender at first base, Bellinger stands to receive more outfield reps in deference to veteran Adrian Gonzalez.

Moncada Remains No. 1 Fantasy Prospect
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#593 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:39 pm

Ranma wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Mike Rosenbaum, MLB.com (4/24/17)
C: Will Smith , Rancho Cucamonga Quakes (Class A Advanced)
(Dodgers' No. 14 prospect)
7 G, .440/.548/.920, 4 R, 3 2B, 3 HR, 6 RBIs, 5 BB, 5 K, 4 SB

Smith tallied a hit in all seven games last week for the Quakes, with six of his 11 hits going for extra bases. Three of those hits were home runs, largely thanks to his first career multihomer game on Sunday, and he also stole four bases in as many attempts. And though he started a majority of his games behind the plate, Smith started two games at second base, as well as one at the hot corner.

All-Brewers Outfield Headlines Prospect Team of the Week

Mike Rosenbaum, MLB.com (4/21/17)
2. Cody Bellinger, 1B/OF, Dodgers (Previous rank: 3)
With his elite raw power, mature approach and underrated feel for manipulating the barrel, Bellinger, 21, is the most impactful hitting prospect in the Minor Leagues. His impressive start to the season only confirms that notion, as the No. 10-overall prospect owns a .352/.426/.704 slash line with five homers, four doubles and 14 RBIs through 14 games at Triple-A Oklahoma City. Though he's an outstanding defender at first base, Bellinger stands to receive more outfield reps in deference to veteran Adrian Gonzalez.

Moncada Remains No. 1 Fantasy Prospect

**** awesome to hear that Will Smith is flashing the bat with the pop that wasnt quite tapped into while in college. Also good to see he may be a better athlete than he looks/ was written to be pre-draft. 2nd Base? Hot corner? STEALS? Unbelievable!!!

What a great slash line by Cody as well.
I've been slightly skeptical of his ratings as a hitter as he'd post meh BAs, with awesome OBPs, great power and a lot of Ks. It is fantastic to see him dominating at the plate in every way possible.

*stares at A-Gon*

While I've been critical of the Rich Hill and Brett Anderson deals, the investment into the farm and development has me excited as hell and overall happy with our organization as acwhole.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Ranma
RealGM

In Celebration of Cody's Call-Up 

Post#594 » by Ranma » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:20 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Dodgers Digest's Scouting Report on Dennis Santana 

Post#595 » by Ranma » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:18 pm

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

6 Dodgers Prospects in MLB Pipeline's Top 100 

Post#596 » by Ranma » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:04 am

Not only are Bellinger, Alvarez, Verdugo, Calhoun, Buehler, and now Diaz in MLB Pipeline's top 100 prospects rankings,
but recent former Dodgers prospects De Leon, Holmes, and Montas are also on the list. That doesn't even include Mitchell White who is clearly better than Calhoun and Diaz in my opinion. To needle Billy Gasparino some more, if we had drafted Delvin Perez, that would be 10 current and former Dodgers prospects who would be considered top prospects right now, which again doesn't even include White.

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

D.J. Peters Making Some Noise 

Post#597 » by Ranma » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:59 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#598 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:46 pm

Glad to see Yusniel get some national billing. I would like to see him, Yadier, and Buehler get a taste of AA baseball at some point. Yusniel and Yadier are young. I hope more so that Buehler gets fast tracked but if the two Cuban signings are ready for the jump, why not?

Yusniel and Peters give us some RH bats in our organization btw. If you remember, I was scared that we had no RHBs anywhere in our org around 2015/2016. Delvin Perez coulda helped there. Lol.

Looks like the investment in scouts/crosscheckers and our coaching/development is paying off. We literally have talent at every level...on the cusp of getting to the next level.

It looks and feels like we are doing this part of the game at an A+ level and it doesn't look like we're doing it just to Dave Dumb Browski them away for a Chris Sale. This is why I can overlook certain signings I'm not a fan of. If I had ANY concern that Theo built a juggernaut that we couldn't beat, I think we've at least approached beating that juggernaut the right way long term with our own talented system.

Ranma
RealGM

Peters & Perez 

Post#599 » by Ranma » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:45 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:Yusniel and Peters give us some RH bats in our organization btw. If you remember, I was scared that we had no RHBs anywhere in our org around 2015/2016. Delvin Perez coulda helped there. Lol.

I actually had your concerns for the lack of right-handed-batting prospects in mind when we both drafted Peters and when Perez was available with the 20th overall pick last year. It especially stood out when D.J. Peters was taken in the 4th round since your concern primarily was with the need for more right-handed-power bats. Delvin Perez has some power potential but his already established tools for speed, glovework, and arm strength really sold me with his batting potential.

Gavin Lux has the potential to improve in his all-around ability but it's hard to see him surpassing or even matching Perez in overall tools right now outside of maybe batting (not power). This despite the fact that I prefer left-handed batters as possible leadoff batters or speedsters.

We both liked the Peters selection when it was made despite me looking at other prospects like Tristan Beck and Cooper Johnson,
but both were likely unsignable at that point.
Ranma
RealGM

Buehler Ablaze in Glory 

Post#600 » by Ranma » Tue May 2, 2017 5:25 am

Read on Twitter

Return to Los Angeles Dodgers