Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,632

Re: DarealJuice Draft Series Part 1: Markelle Fultz 

Post#21 » by Saberestar » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:28 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Read on Twitter

This is a great read. I like his humble personality.

I think that Watson is gonna love him. Hopefully we get the first pick. :D
Damkac
Analyst
And1: 2,894

Post#22 » by Damkac » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:20 pm

I regret reading your analysis. Now I will be disappointed if Suns won't get 1st pick (and we know it won't happen).
Great scorer, unselfish, great physical tools, very young. And without psycho dad or car kicking.
akhan786
Starter
And1: 2,017

Post#23 » by akhan786 » Mon May 1, 2017 6:16 am

HotelVitale wrote:
Shamrock wrote:Excellent write up. Fultz is one of the best prospects we've seen in years, theres just not many question marks with him. All of his weaknesses are stuff that can be improved upon rather easily.

I have Fultz #1 too, but his main weakness is a general lack of explosion and athleticism. He's super smooth and has that nice pull-up game, but what happens when he consistently has bigger, faster, and stronger players on him night in and out? My worry is that he's just ahead of everyone else development-wise--plays more like a 22 year old than a 19 year old--and that he actually doesn't have that much more to improve on.

Contrast him with someone like Bledsoe, who came to the league with great strength and athleticism but had to figure out how to play in space, get good shots, etc. It took Bledsoe 4 years in the NBA to get to a Fultz-like skill/IQ level, and it's great that Fultz is already so far ahead; but you have to master a lot of that stuff to even be a decent starter in the NBA, and what if Fultz doesn't really have another couple levels of improvement in him? Not sold he's a big time scoring threat with just the moves/tools he has now, and I'm not completely clear on what he can do to make his current tools better and more effective.

I feel like Fultz is the closest thing to Kyrie we've seen since Kyrie. He moves his body similarly to Kyrie and no one would consider Kyrie lacking in explosion or athleticism.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,725

Post#24 » by HotelVitale » Mon May 1, 2017 3:01 pm

akhan786 wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:
Shamrock wrote:Excellent write up. Fultz is one of the best prospects we've seen in years, theres just not many question marks with him. All of his weaknesses are stuff that can be improved upon rather easily.

I have Fultz #1 too, but his main weakness is a general lack of explosion and athleticism. He's super smooth and has that nice pull-up game, but what happens when he consistently has bigger, faster, and stronger players on him night in and out? My worry is that he's just ahead of everyone else development-wise--plays more like a 22 year old than a 19 year old--and that he actually doesn't have that much more to improve on.
I feel like Fultz is the closest thing to Kyrie we've seen since Kyrie. He moves his body similarly to Kyrie and no one would consider Kyrie lacking in explosion or athleticism.

Fultz doesn't have Kyrie's handles and silky first step, and this season he simply didn't move nearly as quickly as Kyrie does. If you had never heard of Fultz before and didn't know his stats and you just looked at the tape from this season, you would never have compared him to Kyrie. He just doesn't have that sort of iso athleticism now; take another look at the tape and you'll see it clearly. Fultz does not move fast, and I see no reason to think he will at the next level.

Comps are usually misleading but if you need a comp to go by, I think is fairest is CJ McCollum with a less reliable shot but better passing potential. Both guys can make tough shots and handle the ball, neither has blow-by athleticism and relies mostly on change of speed and angles to score on drives, and both also have pretty slick pull-up games. They also have the same sort of patient, persistent approach to scoring, and just visually speaking Fultz' game and style now look much much more like McCollum's than Kyrie at the moment.
akhan786
Starter
And1: 2,017

Post#25 » by akhan786 » Wed May 3, 2017 7:01 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
akhan786 wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:I have Fultz #1 too, but his main weakness is a general lack of explosion and athleticism. He's super smooth and has that nice pull-up game, but what happens when he consistently has bigger, faster, and stronger players on him night in and out? My worry is that he's just ahead of everyone else development-wise--plays more like a 22 year old than a 19 year old--and that he actually doesn't have that much more to improve on.

Fultz just doesn't have Kyrie's handles and silky first step, and this season he simply didn't move nearly as quickly as Kyrie does. If you had never heard of Fultz before and didn't know his stats and you just looked at the tape from this season, you would never have compared him to Kyrie. He just doesn't have that sort of iso athleticism now; take another look at the tape and you'll see it clearly. Fultz just doesn't move fast.

Comps are usually misleading but if you need a comp to go by, I think is fairest is CJ McCollum with a less reliable shot but better passing potential. Both guys can make tough shots and handle the ball, neither has blow-by athleticism and relies mostly on change of speed and angles to score on drives, and both also have pretty slick pull-up games. They also have the same sort of patient, persistent approach to scoring, and just visually speaking Fultz' game and style now look much much more like McCollum's than Kyrie at the moment.

Great assessment. I've admittedly only watched a few highlight tapes here and there and not an actual Washington game (because why would I want to watch that lol).

With that understanding my expectations for this draft have solidified to likely no future top 10 players, but hopefully 4-5 guys in the same tier as McCollum.

Return to Phoenix Suns