ImageImageImageImageImage

Official 2018 Offseason & Training Camp

Moderators: MHSL82, CalamityX12

NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Official 2018 Offseason & Training Camp 

Post#1 » by NinerSickness » Mon May 1, 2017 8:55 am

So since this is a throw-away season whose only point is to wait for a 30-year-old Kirk Cousins to take over the team, I don't see why it's too early to discuss next offseason...

Early, early, early list of potential FAs who could solidify the team (other than Cousins, of course):

Justin Pugh. Interior OL don't typically get franchised.
Tyler Eifert. Always wanted that guy. Wanted him over Reid in 2013. Franchised? Maybe.
Demarcus Lawrence. Buy low. Can't have too many pass rushers, and he wouldn't be insanely expensive. Still need another one, though...

Big needs IMO (besides QB):

*#1 WR
*LEO
*Huge NT for 1st & 2nd downs
*TE (would be nice to have 2 good ones; and yes, Vance is good)
*Center
*Guard

Hardest problem to solve:

#1 WR. A real one. Don't see a ton of good options. Terrell Pryor, maybe?

One or 2 of those problems might solve themselves with the emergence of a great player who wasn't great before (Aaron Lynch? Marcus Martin? Tank? Kittle? ). But I think CB will be fine.

Hope the team gets a franchise QB in the draft instead of signing Cousins & then breaks the bank on FA. Also, could the team throw a huge curve ball & sign Aldon Smith back, now that He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named is no longer on the team?
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Re: tOfficial 2018 Offseason Thread (not too early) 

Post#2 » by CalamityX12 » Mon May 1, 2017 1:57 pm

Tag perhaps in his future but WR Allen Robinson will be a FA.... WOULD LOVE to bring him here!
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 259

Post#3 » by Jikkle » Mon May 1, 2017 3:02 pm

A true #1 WR you're going to have to find in the draft. They just never hit free agency unless they have serious baggage (ala TO) and my guess is that's going to be the the #1 priority in next years draft assuming Cousins is signed.

Marcus Martin was cut and Aaron Lynch while I think he could have the talent to do it is reportedly out of shape again. Tank at least is supposed to be in great shape so not holding my breath but maybe he has a breakout year this year.

If he gets reinstated I would roll the dice on Aldon Smith again but that ship has long sailed. The organization isn't going to want the headache of PR that bringing him back would bring.

They have a 1st, 2 2nds, and 2 3rds so they can really address a lot of holes in next year's draft so I don't think they'll need to dip too heavily into free agency.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#4 » by NinerSickness » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:54 am

Looking more and more likely the Niners are going to screw their chances of winning a SB in the next 5 years by signing frignn' Cousins. :noway:

I_am_1z
Starter
And1: 66

Post#5 » by I_am_1z » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:04 am

CalamityX12 wrote:Tag perhaps in his future but WR Allen Robinson will be a FA.... WOULD LOVE to bring him here!

Allen Robinson has been working out with the Redskin WRs during the offseason. Seems like he'd go there especially if Kirk Cousin stays in Washington, but I do wonder if he'll follow Captain Kirk wherever he may go :wink: (49ers)
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#6 » by Jikkle » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:26 pm

NinerSickness wrote:Looking more and more likely the Niners are going to screw their chances of winning a SB in the next 5 years by signing frignn' Cousins. :noway:

Washington would be one team crazy enough to tag him again so you never know. I mean they've kept passing on doing the sensible thing in either locking him long term before the first tag when it would've been cheaper or trading him this past offseason and getting what they could get for him.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 265

Post#7 » by Ray_Dogg » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:14 pm

Yep. Washington has the cap space to franchise tag him again and shell out $34M. I'm not banking on Kyle getting his guy just yet.
RedneckNiner
Veteran
And1: 104

Post#8 » by RedneckNiner » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:42 pm

At least I am not alone in hoping tghge Niners dont break the basnk for Cousins. Its early yet but i can reasonably see the potential for 4 good options for Qb in next years Draft.

Next year Qb and Wide receiver will be the biggest needs. Call me Crazy but I see Kittle excelling and Vance earning his contract and becoming very solid.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by NinerSickness » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:37 pm

Andrew Luck: we need you back. Get a win or 2 for the Colts.

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,136

Post#10 » by wco81 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:26 am

Unless Luck is never able to play again, Colts will probably trade their pick to whoever wants one of the QBs desperately enough.

Probably look for a RG3 type of trade.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#11 » by CalamityX12 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:24 pm

Nothing to worry IMO.

This draft class will have 3-4 franchise QBs deep IMO... we finish anywhere between top 7 or 10 and we'll be fine.
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by NinerSickness » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:09 am

CalamityX12 wrote:Nothing to worry IMO.

This draft class will have 3-4 franchise QBs deep IMO... we finish anywhere between top 7 or 10 and we'll be fine.

!!!
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by NinerSickness » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:56 am

NinerSickness wrote:Demarcus Lawrence. Buy low. Can't have too many pass rushers, and he wouldn't be insanely expensive. Still need another one, though...

I take it back. This guy's ballin' right now. He'll get paid. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Contract years. :nonono:
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by NinerSickness » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:01 am

NinerSickness wrote:Justin Pugh. Interior OL don't typically get franchised.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2017/07/will_justin_pugh_cash_in_where_giants_2018_free_ag.html

Want.

Still pissed the Niners took Witherspoon over Pat Elflein...

Staley, Pugh, the best FA center they can get, Garrett & Brown blocking for Josh Rosen next year would bring me out of football depression.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 206

Post#15 » by Pattersonca65 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:55 pm

NinerSickness wrote:
NinerSickness wrote:Justin Pugh. Interior OL don't typically get franchised.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2017/07/will_justin_pugh_cash_in_where_giants_2018_free_ag.html

Want.

Still pissed the Niners took Witherspoon over Pat Elflein...

Staley, Pugh, the best FA center they can get, Garrett & Brown blocking for Josh Rosen next year would bring me out of football depression.

From what I've read Rosen has attributes that will translate into the NFL. He also sounds like the type of QB that Shanahan typically looks for. But he will also probably go early in the draft.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by NinerSickness » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:10 am

NinerSickness wrote:
NinerSickness wrote:Demarcus Lawrence. Buy low. Can't have too many pass rushers, and he wouldn't be insanely expensive. Still need another one, though...

I take it back. This guy's ballin' right now. He'll get paid. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Contract years. :nonono:

Wow. He's gonna get the kind of contract guys tear ACLs just signing.
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#17 » by Jikkle » Mon Oct 2, 2017 12:06 am

Browns, Giants, and 9ers are currently sitting at 0-4.

The issue is that all 3 could be in play to draft a QB if their draft position is that high. The second issue is that even if they don't go QB they could get a king's ransom for the pick from a team that wants to leap ahead to get a QB.

If there is ever a year you want to lose and lose a lot this might be the year because if you do get the #1 or #2 you can draft your QB or if the 9ers go for Cousins they could be the ones that could get the king's ransom for the pick.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,136

Post#18 » by wco81 » Mon Oct 2, 2017 1:01 am

I don't know that there will be a QB in the draft giving up a king's ransom for. And even if one of them gets rated like Luck was a few years ago, teams may not do that any more.

Don't forget the Chargers, who are also winless and Rivers is not getting any younger.
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#19 » by Jikkle » Tue Oct 3, 2017 8:04 pm

wco81 wrote:I don't know that there will be a QB in the draft giving up a king's ransom for. And even if one of them gets rated like Luck was a few years ago, teams may not do that any more.

Don't forget the Chargers, who are also winless and Rivers is not getting any younger.

Forgot about the Chargers but I expect them and teams like the Giants and Colts to pick up enough wins to push them out of picking in the top 2.

I still see it being between the Jets, Bears, 9ers and Browns for the top 2 picks but it's hard to really say at this point to be honest since the Jets surprisingly have two wins and the Bears, 9ers, and Browns have in general been competitive.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 225

Post#20 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Tue Oct 3, 2017 9:16 pm

I know it's way too early to be taking any rumors seriously, but the word is that Darnold is looking to stay in school another year.

On the other hand, I'm starting to have a change of heart with regard to my philosophy with QBs. I am one who refuses to take any "dual threat" / scrambling QBs seriously, as an viable option for us. However, Dashaun Watson is proof that it could be possible that a player like Lamar Jackson can be legitimate starter in the league.

Side note: I'm not shocked that Watson is starting to play much better. I've always said that he was a better QB than Dak Prescott. If Watson or Goff had Dallas' oline they would look like Tom Brady out there.

Return to San Francisco 49ers