What was the most enjoyable season for you as a fan of your team?

Moderator: bwgood77

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,333

What was the most enjoyable season for you as a fan of your team? 

Post#1 » by bwgood77 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:36 pm

Over the years, what were the best season(s) for you, or most enjoyable? I'm sure some of your most fun seasons throughout the season ended in heartbreak, but think of it as all the highs and lows and exhilaration of being a fan.

I'll have to give the Chargers some thought. There have not been too many great ones, and so many heartbreaking ones, just like being a Suns fan (though Suns had more great seasons) but there were some fun ones.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,422

Re: What was the most enjoyable season for you as a fan of your team? 

Post#2 » by Cactus Jack » Mon May 1, 2017 1:50 am

Hawks: 2005 SB run.

The 2012 & 2013 seasons were as good as it gets. The 2012 playoff loss to Atlanta was a crusher. But, coming back & winning SB 48 was beyond exhilarating. Greatest moment as a fan. :D
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,230

Post#3 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon May 1, 2017 3:36 am

There are so many I'll have to think about it for a few days !!
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#4 » by Cactus Jack » Mon May 1, 2017 3:54 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:There are so many I'll have to think about it for a few days !!

It's been along time for you, hasn't it!? Hard to remember. :lol:
bleu
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,146

Post#5 » by bleu » Mon May 1, 2017 5:01 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:There are so many I'll have to think about it for a few days !!

It's been along time for you, hasn't it!? Hard to remember. :lol:

To be fair, I don't remember much from the early 90's myself :lol:
bleu
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,146

Post#6 » by bleu » Mon May 1, 2017 5:06 am

For me, it's really a pretty easy choice. 2015. I loved the teams of the mid 2000's and there were a ton of special players, but those years were towards the beginning of my NFL fandom so I didn't enjoy them quite as much. 2015 was just an incredible year though. Going 15-1 in the regular season, seeing the progression of so many different players, Cam Newton winning and performing like the MVP, it was just a really fun team. Of course, we all know how it ended and I still haven't fully gotten over that. But I enjoyed (nearly) every second of that season.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#7 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon May 1, 2017 6:26 am

The thread is season, not game. So I would have to go with the 1977 season, my Sr. year in high school. Doomsday II was born just a couple years before and we had all the pieces for a Championship run, needing only one more piece. A running back with break away speed. Along came a guy name Tony Dorsett and the ride began !!!!
RavenMad31
Senior
And1: 252

Post#8 » by RavenMad31 » Mon May 1, 2017 8:44 pm

2000. 2012 was a more fun run during the playoff run, but 2000 was a year where you could start to see something special happening around midseason. We had that run where we didn't score an offensive TD for like five games, but still managed to win two of them. The defense was just nasty. Jamal Lewis was nasty. Shannon Sharpe would make some crucial plays for us. In '12 it didn't even become a realistic thought until we came back and won the playoff game at Denver. We were only 10-6 and if not for that crazy 4th down conversion vs. the Chargers, we probably wouldn't have been in the playoffs.
JaxMagic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 325

Post#9 » by JaxMagic » Mon May 1, 2017 9:39 pm

Jaguars would either be 1996 or 1999... :(
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,974

Post#10 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon May 1, 2017 9:58 pm

As much as the '71 season (16 years old) and the '77 (22 years old and in the Air Force where I wore out poor non-Cowboys fans) season meant to me as a young Cowboys fan, the 1992 season will always be my favorite. They had made the playoffs the year before after those horrid late 80's seasons in Hell. Going into the 1992 opener against the defending champion Redskins, you really didn't know how good the Cowboys were or could be. I was at that game. I had never heard old Texas Stadium that loud before except for a Pink Floyd concert. Forced the Redskins into a 3-and-out... Isaac Holt blocked the punt out of the end zone... Alvin Harper made a one handed catch that was epic... and the ride was on. There were some lows (in Philly where we got pounded; the game in RFK where Jimmy was furious on the plane ride home; the inexplicable loss to the Rams)... and a whole bunch of highs (E. Smith running roughshod against the Iggles in Dallas; the Raiders game where they were just dominant; and the best NFC Championship game ever)...

It was a glorious ride. And it led to more.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#11 » by Cactus Jack » Mon May 1, 2017 10:10 pm

JaxMagic wrote:Jaguars would either be 1996 or 1999... :(

Mark Brunell was a favorite of mine.
RaoulDuke79
RealGM
And1: 4,152

Post#12 » by RaoulDuke79 » Mon May 1, 2017 10:29 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:As much as the '71 season (16 years old) and the '77 (22 years old and in the Air Force where I wore out poor non-Cowboys fans) season meant to me as a young Cowboys fan, the 1992 season will always be my favorite. They had made the playoffs the year before after those horrid late 80's seasons in Hell. Going into the 1992 opener against the defending champion Redskins, you really didn't know how good the Cowboys were or could be. I was at that game. I had never heard old Texas Stadium that loud before except for a Pink Floyd concert. Forced the Redskins into a 3-and-out... Isaac Holt blocked the punt out of the end zone... Alvin Harper made a one handed catch that was epic... and the ride was on. There were some lows (in Philly where we got pounded; the game in RFK where Jimmy was furious on the plane ride home; the inexplicable loss to the Rams)... and a whole bunch of highs (E. Smith running roughshod against the Iggles in Dallas; the Raiders game where they were just dominant; and the best NFC Championship game ever)...

That's all really amazing, but I now hate you more than ever for having seen Pink Floyd live, something I was never able to do.

I have seen Roger Waters several times(including The Wall a few years ago which was INCREDIBLE), but never got to see Floyd in their prime, or even after Roger left.

So...screw you, sir.

:wink:
We watched the tragedy unfold. We did as we were told, we bought and sold. It was the greatest show on Earth...but then it was over.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon May 1, 2017 11:37 pm

RaoulDuke79 wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:As much as the '71 season (16 years old) and the '77 (22 years old and in the Air Force where I wore out poor non-Cowboys fans) season meant to me as a young Cowboys fan, the 1992 season will always be my favorite. They had made the playoffs the year before after those horrid late 80's seasons in Hell. Going into the 1992 opener against the defending champion Redskins, you really didn't know how good the Cowboys were or could be. I was at that game. I had never heard old Texas Stadium that loud before except for a Pink Floyd concert. Forced the Redskins into a 3-and-out... Isaac Holt blocked the punt out of the end zone... Alvin Harper made a one handed catch that was epic... and the ride was on. There were some lows (in Philly where we got pounded; the game in RFK where Jimmy was furious on the plane ride home; the inexplicable loss to the Rams)... and a whole bunch of highs (E. Smith running roughshod against the Iggles in Dallas; the Raiders game where they were just dominant; and the best NFC Championship game ever)...

That's all really amazing, but I now hate you more than ever for having seen Pink Floyd live, something I was never able to do.

I have seen Roger Waters several times(including The Wall a few years ago which was INCREDIBLE), but never got to see Floyd in their prime, or even after Roger left.

So...screw you, sir.

:wink:

Never got to see them WITH Waters... and I so regret it. Saw them twice at Texas Stadium but got to see them at Reunion Arena and that was an amazing show. Seen Waters twice - including the Wall at Frank Erwin Center in Austin which is easily in my Top 5 shows ever.

So yeah. Screw me.

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
RaoulDuke79
RealGM
And1: 4,152

Post#14 » by RaoulDuke79 » Mon May 1, 2017 11:52 pm

I was hoping to see them when they played in Rice Stadium on their Division Bell tour, but alas, it was not to be. Glad I got to catch Waters though, looking forward to his new album coming out.

Anyways, football and stuff.
We watched the tragedy unfold. We did as we were told, we bought and sold. It was the greatest show on Earth...but then it was over.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#15 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue May 2, 2017 3:48 am

Remember the 4th quarter in the 1973 divisional vs. the 49ers? After being hurt most of the year and Craig Morton throwing another one away, Landry finally inserted Staubach in the game. To me this game was one of the games that you knew Staubach was a legend. Oh, and Mel Renfro's on side kick recovery was sweet. another very special game was the last game in the 1979 season vs. the Redskins. Last game of the year with everything on the line in texas Stadium. Staubach was just magical in every sense despite all the weird crap that took place with injuries and Too tall taking the year off to box.
That game was really special to me. Would have been a hell of a lot more special if we all knew Staubach would decide to retire (way too soon imho) a few weeks later. :king:
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue May 2, 2017 12:12 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:

Remember the 4th quarter in the 19732 divisional vs. the 49ers? ...

Fixed... because one never forgets the dawn of greatness.
The Sparest
Bench Warmer
And1: 446

Post#17 » by The Sparest » Wed May 3, 2017 9:45 am

'92 was great and I enjoyed every second of it. But my favorite was '95. The 'Boys won their fifth Superbowl by beating the Eagles, Packers, and Steelers. It was like a gift from God.
AKA: Sparey Spareman
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed May 3, 2017 12:05 pm

The Sparest wrote:

'92 was great and I enjoyed every second of it. But my favorite was '95. The 'Boys won their fifth Superbowl by beating the Eagles, Packers, and Steelers. It was like a gift from God.

I have the Dallas Morning News sports page from the Packers game in a frame above my bookcase... with my tickets inside. Good times. My boss attended the Super Bowl two weeks later and brought me back all sorts of SB XXX swag. Who knew that we wouldn't sniff another one for 21 years... and counting.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,333

Post#19 » by bwgood77 » Wed May 3, 2017 5:07 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:Hawks: 2005 SB run.

The 2012 & 2013 seasons were as good as it gets. The 2012 playoff loss to Atlanta was a crusher. But, coming back & winning SB 48 was beyond exhilarating. Greatest moment as a fan. :D

So your most enjoyable is 2005 but 2012 and 2013 were as good as it gets? :-?
shawn_hemp
Starter
And1: 1,194

Post#20 » by shawn_hemp » Wed May 3, 2017 5:19 pm

youd think as an Eagles fan I would say 2004 but that is almost cliche at this point. it was a great season, dont get me wrong, but the second TO got injured from that horse collar tackle by Roy Williams, you knew it was a lost cause.

My favorite season was 2010, when Mike Vick replaced Kevin Kolb in the 1st game to become our starter

that offense with Vick, McCoy, DeSean Jackson, Jeremy Maclin, and a prime Jason Peters at LT was fun to watch.

our defense was kind of bad but Trent Cole was also in his prime as well, and Asante Samuel was still here. It was definitely a bend-dont-break defense.

not to mention two amazing games, the one game on Monday night against the Redskins where the Eagles blew them out 59-28 after LaRon Landry was talking trash to DJack all week was classic. First play of the game, DJack burns Landry for a huge TD. Awesome game

and of course the Giants comeback, where DJack returns the punt for the win as time expires, another classic game.

they lost to the Packers in the Wild Card round and had a chance to win at the end of the game but Tramon Williams intercepted a pass in the end zone and that was that.

Fun fact: I forget why, but the Packers would not have made the playoffs in 2010 if the Eagles had lost to the Giants in the DJack punt return game.

And the Packers went on to win the Super Bowl. So I like to think the Eagles were the 2nd best team in the league that year :D

*should probably add that this was the year before the "Dream Team" debacle that ultimately led to Andy Reid being let go after that didn't pan out

Return to The General NFL Board