ImageImageImageImageImage

What does a Jays firesale look like?

Moderator: JaysRule15

Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Re: What does a Jays firesale look like? 

Post#81 » by Schad » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:17 pm

We're also seeing a good example of why an Osuna trade, assuming he finds form/health again, isn't a bad idea. Relievers break. Pitchers in general break, but the margins between "good closer" and "solid reliever we found on waivers/converted from starting" are somewhat fine, and if a reliever breaks even a little, they're not all that valuable anymore. So if someone wants to give you a big thing for a soon-to-be-expensive reliever, it's worth listening.
**** your asterisk.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,500

Post#82 » by dagger » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:41 pm

If the Jays want to do a strategic retooling, they can bring in a couple of placeholder rookies until the top tier prospects work their way up. Dwight Smith Jr, for example, was 3-4 today with a pair of doubles, and if we continue to suck, I don't see why we have to suck with old guys. Why not bring in a former comp pick with a MLB bloodline - Schad's first brick in the wall of an all progeny team. He's hitting .349, Ultimately, better will come along, but he might stick as a fourth outfielder, but if not, he's not going to cost much during the rebuild period.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
Natural11
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,760

Post#83 » by Natural11 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:17 pm

dagger wrote:If the Jays want to do a strategic retooling, they can bring in a couple of placeholder rookies until the top tier prospects work their way up. Dwight Smith Jr, for example, was 3-4 today with a pair of doubles, and if we continue to suck, I don't see why we have to suck with old guys. Why not bring in a former comp pick with a MLB bloodline - Schad's first brick in the wall of an all progeny team. He's hitting .349, Ultimately, better will come along, but he might stick as a fourth outfielder, but if not, he's not going to cost much during the rebuild period.

Yeah seems pretty crazy to have Pearce out there in LF right now doing literally nothing. Just as well to find a young guy to get in there. At least Pompey on the roster gives you some speed to work with.
North_of_Border
Pro Prospect
And1: 369

Re: RE: Re: What does a Jays firesale look like? 

Post#84 » by North_of_Border » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:11 am

Natural11 wrote:
dagger wrote:If the Jays want to do a strategic retooling, they can bring in a couple of placeholder rookies until the top tier prospects work their way up. Dwight Smith Jr, for example, was 3-4 today with a pair of doubles, and if we continue to suck, I don't see why we have to suck with old guys. Why not bring in a former comp pick with a MLB bloodline - Schad's first brick in the wall of an all progeny team. He's hitting .349, Ultimately, better will come along, but he might stick as a fourth outfielder, but if not, he's not going to cost much during the rebuild period.

Yeah seems pretty crazy to have Pearce out there in LF right now doing literally nothing. Just as well to find a young guy to get in there. At least Pompey on the roster gives you some speed to work with.

The Season is lost. If the Jays want to have a fire sale they need their veterans to build value. Pearce had a lot of value. But now he is almost a negative on the market. Might as well let him "try" to build trade value, rather than benching him and promoting a rookie at this point.

Jays should let em build value. Then trade em. Then by the later part of the year, promote all ur young guys for experience.
Mak
RealGM
And1: 4,575

Post#85 » by Mak » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:50 am

Morales can get us something? his contract is relatively low, maybe some AL team that needs a DH.
TR50
General Manager
And1: 1,211

Post#86 » by TR50 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:02 pm

So...how good is/can Bregman be, from the Astros?

A Donaldson for Bregman + deal may be something to look into?
pantalones
Junior
And1: 220

Post#87 » by pantalones » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:53 pm

Who would have thought that as of right now Pillar would possibly bring the best return?
-MetA4-
Head Coach
And1: 465

Post#88 » by -MetA4- » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:38 am

TR50 wrote:So...how good is/can Bregman be, from the Astros?

A Donaldson for Bregman + deal may be something to look into?

Bregman has All-Star upside. The Astros are most definitely a great potential trade partner. They've got Forrest Whitley (last year's 1st round pick) lighting it up in A-ball as well.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#89 » by Schad » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:33 am

Astros have a bunch of worthwhile arms, for that matter. Franklin Perez is a 19 year old RHSP who stands 6'3" and has a refined mix and command...he isn't a soft-tosser as it stands, but if he picks up a couple ticks he has #1/#2 upside. Francis Martes is pretty close at 21, throws in the mid/high 90s, and has enough control and secondary stuff to hack it as a starter. I'd love for them to be knocking on our door come June/July.
**** your asterisk.
TR50
General Manager

Post#90 » by TR50 » Mon May 1, 2017 1:31 am

So what about a Donaldson + Estrada/Happ deal for Bregman + Whitley + a few of those pitching prospects?
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#91 » by Schad » Mon May 1, 2017 1:33 am

TR50 wrote:So what about a Donaldson + Estrada/Happ deal for Bregman + Whitley + a few of those pitching prospects?

Per the guidelines from the commercials, I'm about 30 minutes from having to contact my physician.

On the subject: if Houston stays in the race, and we continue to suck, they're actually a better destination for our starters than Donaldson (though he'd be an improvement, as well). They have a ruthless offense, a solid bullpen, and a questionable starting staff. Thankfully we have the answer to their problems, for the low low price of a couple of their high-end arms.
**** your asterisk.
TR50
General Manager

Re: RE: Re: What does a Jays firesale look like? 

Post#92 » by TR50 » Mon May 1, 2017 1:34 am

Schad wrote:
TR50 wrote:So what about a Donaldson + Estrada/Happ deal for Bregman + Whitley + a few of those pitching prospects?

Per the guidelines from the commercials, I'm about 30 minutes from having to contact my physician.

For good reasons or bad

Sent from my LG-D852 using RealGM mobile app
phillipmike
Rookie
And1: 1,229

Post#93 » by phillipmike » Mon May 1, 2017 1:25 pm

Jim Bowden did post this which has since been deleted;

Jim Bowden @JimBowdenMLB. What would it take for the #Astros to get Josh Donaldson and Marco Estrada from #BlueJays ? Bregman, Kyle Tucker, Martes, Whitley, Musgrove?

Regardless of where we are i take that trade today if it is offer to you;

C: Martin
1B:
2B: Travis
SS: Tulo
3B: Bregman
RF:
CF: Pillar
LF:
DH: Morales

Sanchez
Stroman
Musgrove

Osuna
Biagini

Still have Happ, Liriano, Bautista, your pen and others to trade. If Happ returns to form then we could get an MLB ready prospect who can make an impact. same can be said for Bautista and Liriano (weak trade market). If someone is willing to take Morales, Tulo and/or Martin then you consider it too. But if not then can try to re-sign Liriano and/or Estrada in the off-season. Maybe Pompey or Alford is ready to LF. Maybe you can spend the rest of your resources on RF and 1B and you can be a contender again next season.

Plus you have a top 10 farm maybe 5 if you are adding Martes (top 20 prospect in AAA), Tucker (top 40 prospect in A+) and Whitley (top 100 prospect in A) to go with other top prospects in Vladdy, Tellez, Urena, Reid-Foley, Alford and Gourriel. Martes, Tellez, Alford and Gourriel all could be ready to make an impact in 2018.
North_of_Border
Pro Prospect

Post#94 » by North_of_Border » Tue May 2, 2017 3:08 am

Maybe offer Donaldson to Boston.... but demand a premium for dealing him in division.

Dombrowski just might do it.
They have a loaded farm system and Charrington knows their guys.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using RealGM mobile app
phillipmike
Rookie
And1: 1,229

Post#95 » by phillipmike » Tue May 2, 2017 1:07 pm

Between the two i would rather deal JD to Houston. Better MLB ready prospects and young players to be had. Plus i am sure Boston wont be spending more on bats, they likely would use their prospect capital on more pitching.
North_of_Border
Pro Prospect

Post#96 » by North_of_Border » Tue May 2, 2017 11:14 pm

Jose is heating up. Jays should capitalize on this opportunity. If he keeps this pace, someone might bite.

BramptonYute
Head Coach
And1: 8,677

Post#97 » by BramptonYute » Tue May 2, 2017 11:59 pm

Important that Happ's issues arent serious, but since he's not close to game action, its not looking too good. Big red flag since its with his elbow.

Pillar would bring back some serious value too, I imagine.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#98 » by Schad » Wed May 3, 2017 2:39 am

North_of_Border wrote:Jose is heating up. Jays should capitalize on this opportunity. If he keeps this pace, someone might bite.

No one is going anywhere for quite some time, particularly Bautista. He's an old slugger with a full no-trade clause and an expiring contract; won't be until July, if he's hitting, that someone will be willing to part with assets to get him.
**** your asterisk.
Raider917
Veteran
And1: 767

Post#99 » by Raider917 » Fri May 5, 2017 11:52 pm

should the jays be willing to trade Donaldson to Boston? what could the Jays get from them?
JaysRule15
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 120,004

Post#100 » by JaysRule15 » Sat May 6, 2017 10:24 am

Raider917 wrote:should the jays be willing to trade Donaldson to Boston? what could the Jays get from them?

I'd do it. Donaldson is a FA at the end of next season anyway. So it's not like we're giving Boston a young, controllable player who would hurt us for years to come in our division.

I'd for sure ask for Rafael Defers in any package from them.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays