ImageImageImageImageImage

2017 NFL DRAFT Thread

Moderators: MHSL82, CalamityX12

Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 225

Re: 2017 NFL DRAFT Thread 

Post#1481 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Mon May 1, 2017 8:59 pm

Jikkle wrote:http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/05/01/san-francisco-49ers-nfl-draft-room-bears-trade-reuben-foster-peter-king

Really interesting read on the going ons during the draft for the 9ers.

Beathard was the only QB Shanahan wanted and Williams wasn't even on the draft board but Shanahan wanted him and Lynch actually gave Williams a call before taking the chance on him.

That was a good read indeed.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#1483 » by NinerSickness » Tue May 2, 2017 5:05 am

This has been one of the hardest years to pick a bust in recent memory; maybe the hardest since I've been following the draft. But UCLA's been pretty consistent, so I gotta go with:

The 2017 NinerSickness 1st-round Bust Prediction is:

1998: Curtis Enis
1999: Akili Smith
2000: Rashard Anderson
2001: Damoine Lewis
2002: Lito Sheppard (oops)
2003: Rex Grossman
2004: ChrisPerry
2005: Braylon Edwards
2006: Vince Young
2007: Jamaal Anderson
2008: Matt Ryan (oops)
2009: Percy Harvin
2010: TIMMY!!! (easiest bust pick ever)
2011: Cam Newton
2012: Michael Brockers
2013: Kenny Vaccaro
2014: Jonny Manziel
2015: Jamies Winston
2016: Carson Wentz

And for 2017 I gotta go with UCLA product Takkarist McKinley. Like I said, this is a tough year to pick, but UCLA consistently disappoints.
ChrisPozz
RealGM
And1: 450

Post#1484 » by ChrisPozz » Tue May 2, 2017 9:55 pm

ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#1485 » by ChrisPozz » Wed May 3, 2017 2:07 am

Peter King: Draft proved that Paraag Marathe is 'pretty invaluable' to the 49ers

http://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/105880-peter-draft-proved-paraag-marathe-pretty-invaluable-49ers/
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#1486 » by ChrisPozz » Wed May 3, 2017 2:12 am

ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#1487 » by ChrisPozz » Wed May 3, 2017 2:23 am

Read on Twitter
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#1488 » by ChrisPozz » Wed May 3, 2017 3:55 pm

The Post-Draft Mailbag

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/05/03/san-francisco-49ers-nfl-draft-room-mailbag

Martin Mayhew, senior personnel executive, was one of those with a role you won’t hear much about. He’s sort of a shadow GM, after having the experience with Detroit, and Lynch sought his counsel quietly during the draft eight or 10 times that I saw. He was one of the four front-office guys who called other teams to inquire about trades, and who put trade possibilities out on the floor for the group to consider. Since the Niners made six trades, this quartet of people was important. Mayhew is important, too, because he’s the only guy in the room who’s been a GM, and he can tell Lynch where the trapdoors are—with no ego.

--------------------------------------------------

Peters had the staff of scouts organized for the undrafted free-agent portion of the weekend. Immediately after the Niners’ last pick of the draft, the 229th overall, Peters had the regional scouts calling players they hoped would go undrafted. There was one player midway through the last round who was top on their list: tight end Cole Hikutini from Louisville, a player who made sense for the 49ers because Shanahan wanted a “move” tight end, a player with enough speed to separate from linebackers in coverage. The 49ers drafted more of a blocking tight end, George Kittle, earlier, and now they want to pursue Hikutini if he didn’t get picked. Peters felt he was the best candidate to fill that role—as did Shanahan. What was keeping him down was a 4.8-second 40-yard-dash time, but Peters told the coaches that happened because he was hurt. When healthy, Peters said, Hikutini would be a separator. That’s what the head coach demanded.

As the round went on and Hikutini remained undrafted, the plan was solidified: tight end coach Jon Embree would pitch Hikutini on the merits of signing with the 49ers. Peters would debrief agent Camron Hahn and pitch Hahn on the Niners. As the draft ended and Hikutini was still free, the recruitment began seriously.

Over two hours, Peters estimated, Embree called Hikutini five times. Shanahan—competing with Sean Payton of the Saints at the end—called him twice. Lynch called him once. Peters sent several texts, and more to Hahn as the derby went on.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#1489 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Wed May 3, 2017 6:34 pm

NinerSickness wrote:This has been one of the hardest years to pick a bust in recent memory; maybe the hardest since I've been following the draft. But UCLA's been pretty consistent, so I gotta go with:

The 2017 NinerSickness 1st-round Bust Prediction is:

1998: Curtis Enis
1999: Akili Smith
2000: Rashard Anderson
2001: Damoine Lewis
2002: Lito Sheppard (oops)
2003: Rex Grossman
2004: ChrisPerry
2005: Braylon Edwards
2006: Vince Young
2007: Jamaal Anderson
2008: Matt Ryan (oops)
2009: Percy Harvin
2010: TIMMY!!! (easiest bust pick ever)
2011: Cam Newton
2012: Michael Brockers
2013: Kenny Vaccaro
2014: Jonny Manziel
2015: Jamies Winston
2016: Carson Wentz

And for 2017 I gotta go with UCLA product Takkarist McKinley. Like I said, this is a tough year to pick, but UCLA consistently disappoints.

I'm glad that you didn't pick T.J. Watt. That dude is going to be a beast. He has the same motor as Solomon Thomas. Anyway, my pick would have been Garrett Bolles. He's about to turn 25 in a couple days, so essentially he's in his prime now. A grown ass man playing with boys, man handling them. I think he might experience a rude awakening playing against men his age.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#1490 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Wed May 3, 2017 6:39 pm

Reuben Foster - LB - 49ers

Yahoo! Sports' Charles Robinson reports 49ers first-round ILB Reuben Foster was "medically rejected" by some teams due to concerns with his shoulder.

It falls in line with what The Ringer's Mike Lombardi and USA Today's Tom Pelissero have reported in the days since the draft. ESPN's Adam Schefter added to it Wednesday, saying some believe Foster's surgically-repaired shoulder may give out at any moment, while others don't even believe the first surgery fixed the issue. Foster reportedly has problems with his labrum and rotator cuff, possibly in both shoulders. The 49ers felt comfortable enough to trade up for him.
Source: Charles Robinson on Twitter

May 3 - 2:13 PM
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#1491 » by ChrisPozz » Wed May 3, 2017 7:22 pm

NFL bound: Wichita’s Zach Franklin achieves lifelong dream

http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/state-college-sports/article147932839.html

Have yet to find anything that suggests you shouldn't root for the guy.
I_am_1z
Starter
And1: 66

Post#1492 » by I_am_1z » Wed May 3, 2017 7:28 pm

ChrisPozz wrote:
Read on Twitter

Guy looks every bit as fast as his 4.39 40 time he posted at his pro day. This doesn't bode well for roster bubble Mike Davis!
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#1493 » by ChrisPozz » Wed May 3, 2017 7:42 pm

Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#1494 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Wed May 3, 2017 8:31 pm

ChrisPozz wrote:
Read on Twitter

I never heard of this dude until Clyde and Pozz mentioned him a couple days ago; so that led me to google and YouTube his a$$ and I came away very impressed of what I came away with. I'm not even going to pretend that I gathered enough information about him since, but it impressed me enough for me to think that this is indeed a steal for us.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#1495 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Wed May 3, 2017 8:53 pm

I_am_1z wrote:
ChrisPozz wrote:
Read on Twitter

Guy looks every bit as fast as his 4.39 40 time he posted at his pro day. This doesn't bode well for roster bubble Mike Davis!

If we end up placing him on our practice squad, we will lose him to some other team. Not even sure why we traded for Kapri Bibbs!?

Hyde, Williams, Hightower, and Breida is all we need.

1z, I only see his numbers for his vertical & broad jumps, and his bench. I don't see his forty time posted anywhere. I agree with you though, his game film shows a four-three guy.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 939

Post#1496 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed May 3, 2017 9:29 pm

I was out of town during the draft, so despite following it, didn't really get to add my two cents. I'll do so now. I'm going to run through each pick/round, and then give my overall thoughts. Caveat: I have watched very little college football the past couple years.

First Round/Second Round

Solomon Thomas: I went into the first round expecting to be disappointed. I just didn't like the value for our needs. I wanted to trade out, but it looks like that wasn't a realistic option. I still don't love the Thomas pick. I like the player, I just don't see how we get Armstead, Buckner, and Thomas on the field together on a regular basis. On obvious passing downs, if we truly play Armstead at Leo, it's not impossible to envision, but we'd be pretty susceptible to the run in that case. That said, we picked up a guy who should be a leader and a cornerstone of our rebuild, and also picked up three more valuable picks in the process. I will definitely take that, particularly as it creates some draft capital for next year when the QB class looks better.

Reuben Foster: I love this pick. The kid is a top-5 player in this draft, and should be a difference-maker fairly early in his career. As I've read a bit more about his shoulder, I'm getting a little nervous. I'm not so worried about the off-field attitude stuff, I think he'll be okay, and maybe even good with that chip on his shoulder. But I don't trust our medical/training staff (at all; though they have probably turned over a fair bit since the new FO came in), and the articles on an ongoing problem have me slightly skittish. Still, well worth the gamble at this point. If we walked away from this draft with nothing but these two picks and the additional picks, I would have probably felt this was a win.

Third Round

Ahkello Witherspoon: I was a fan of this one. The kid is raw, but there's an awful lot of upside there, and he seems like a good fit in our scheme - though he'll have to work on his physicality.

CJ Beathard: This one was a bit of a shock to me, as it was to many people. It felt like a tremendous reach. That said, the QB position is a different sort of animal, and particularly later in the draft, beauty can be in the eye of the beholder. It sounds like Shanahan really likes Beathard, and if he's your guy, you take him when you think his talent merits it, regardless of whether you think he might be around for another half round. And I have absolutely no problem dealing a seventh rounder to make the move. I'm a bit skeptical Beathard will pan out, but if he becomes a solid backup, then the pick was worth it.

Perhaps my biggest problem with this draft was trading away our second third-rounder. I understand getting a future second in a potentially QB-rich draft is huge, and the Saints could easily be the worst team in that division - though it wouldn't shock me if they won it, either. This was such a deep draft, part of me wonders if that second rounder will have the value of the third rounder this year. If we had taken Jordan Willis or Tim Williams, I would have felt very good about our defensive overhaul. Either of those guys would have presented great value there, and in the third, you don't really care if the guy is just a situational pass rusher versus an every down player.

Fourth Round

Joe Williams: This is another one where you defer to your coach to a degree. It's a risky pick, but he should be a good fit for our running game, particularly outside zone runs, which are a big part of the system. Shanahan obviously loved him, so I can see why Lynch made the move once he reconciled himself to the quitting business.

Fifth Round

George Kittle: This seems like another nice scheme fit. Kittle is extremely versatile, as he is a much better blocker than his size would indicate, but he also has elite speed for the position. Having both Kittle and Juszczyck really increases our versatility on offense. Not only are they both very good blockers, but both are also effective (and perhaps more) receivers. In today's NFL, that sort of versatility is huge, and should pay dividends. Again, I get the sense that Shanahan had a hand in this one.

Trent Taylor: Kind of lukewarm on this one, though I've gathered the kid has some potential. I tend to like players who are small, or not terribly fast, but still managed crazy production in college or the NFL. That said, there's a reason that's a surprise. Unfortunately, it's looking like we'll never be able to rely on Bruce Ellington, who I had high hopes for in the slot. Taylor seems like the sort of player who could carve out a role for himself, though I don't see him as an ideal return man.

Not sure just where to put it, but I don't love the Bibbs trade. I realize Bibbs wasn't valued terribly highly in the trade, but we got a 5th round comp pick in return for a 4th next year that could be pretty high. I haven't seen a whole lot of Bibbs, but to me it wasn't worth it. I'd rather have the 4th next year.

Sixth Round

DJ Jones: This is another pick I like a lot. He's got questions about his motor, but we would never have him in for more than 1/3 of snaps, anyway. And if he's fresh and right, he's a force in both the run and pass game. Seems like very nice value, though he's going to have to come in and work hard from day one.

Pita Taumoepenu: Not sure I'd ever even heard of this kid prior to the draft, and I'm skeptical that he really catches on. He's dramatically undersized to rush the passer in a 4-3, even if we are using some sort of hybrid scheme. Greg Cosell was actually really high on him, so we'll see, but I'm not expecting very much at this stage.

Seventh Round

Adrian Colbert: Another guy who is pretty unlikely to make the squad, but why not take a chance on an athletically gifted player who could surprise?

All told, I like what the team did. The big difference that I noted, particularly on offense, was collaboration between the GM and HC. The guys we picked were guys that we took with an eye toward our scheme and our goals. I got the sense that the FO staff and the coaches were on the same page about who they wanted, and for what role. That rarely seemed to be the case with Baalke. Baalke just seemed to pick guys regardless of how they fit (Joshua Garnett, anyone?). And in addition to the injury nightmares, he also had a tendency to take guys with the intention of having them completely transform their body in a short period of time. I can't think of many examples across the league of that sort of thing paying dividends (unless it's an OL or DL dramatically slimming down, for instance). I'm all for getting a guy to add some muscle mass, but the Tank and Eli massive bulk-ups just completely backfired, and we ended up losing the player we had drafted (figuratively).

We'll see how the players actually turn out, but I'm cautiously optimistic about this haul, and the start for the new FO.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 939

Post#1497 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed May 3, 2017 9:32 pm

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:
I_am_1z wrote:
ChrisPozz wrote:
Read on Twitter

If we end up placing him on our practice squad, we will lose him to some other team. Not even sure why we traded for Kapri Bibbs!?

Hyde, Williams, Hightower, and Breida is all we need.

1z, I only see his numbers for his vertical & broad jumps, and his bench. I don't see his forty time posted anywhere. I agree with you though, his game film shows a four-three guy.

Pro day numbers here. There as accurate as I can find anywhere.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=126718&draftyear=2017&genpos=RB
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#1498 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Wed May 3, 2017 10:46 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:
I_am_1z wrote:

Pro day numbers here. There as accurate as I can find anywhere.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=126718&draftyear=2017&genpos=RB

Thanks Crims!
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#1499 » by ChrisPozz » Thu May 4, 2017 2:28 am

Inside an NFL Draft war room: Ravens never expected to land Humphrey at No. 16

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/inside-an-nfl-draft-war-room-ravens-never-expected-to-land-humphrey-at-no-16/
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#1500 » by NinerSickness » Thu May 4, 2017 6:02 am

ChrisPozz wrote:Inside an NFL Draft war room: Ravens never expected to land Humphrey at No. 16

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/inside-an-nfl-draft-war-room-ravens-never-expected-to-land-humphrey-at-no-16/

They got a steal. He provides equal, if not higher, value to Solomon Thomas. He's going to be one of the better CBs in the league, IMO.

Return to San Francisco 49ers