Cedi Osman

Moderator: THE J0KER

daisytank
Ballboy
And1: 4

Cedi Osman 

Post#1 » by daisytank » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:11 am

How good is this kid? Does he have the talent to be a rotation player for the Cavs in the next few years? From the little I know about him he is a 3nD type SF prospect right? Any info from the people who have seen him play would be greatly appreciated.
mojo13
Veteran
And1: 1,882

Re: Cedi Osman 

Post#2 » by mojo13 » Wed May 3, 2017 8:37 pm

daisytank wrote:How good is this kid? Does he have the talent to be a rotation player for the Cavs in the next few years? From the little I know about him he is a 3nD type SF prospect right? Any info from the people who have seen him play would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a little on him and his NBA potential:
http://defpen.com/aaron-jackson-cedi-osman-nba/
daisytank
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#3 » by daisytank » Thu May 4, 2017 4:34 am

Thanks for that!
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,482

Post#4 » by Mirotic12 » Thu May 4, 2017 9:10 pm

daisytank wrote:How good is this kid? Does he have the talent to be a rotation player for the Cavs in the next few years? From the little I know about him he is a 3nD type SF prospect right? Any info from the people who have seen him play would be greatly appreciated.

He is 100% for sure not a 3 and D prospect. He's athletic, he has good size, he has a good motor, and he's good for giving hustle and energy on the court. No way is he a 3 point shooter.

He's definitely capable of being a rotation player, but don't expect anything in the way of any basketball skills, including outside shooting. He's going to be a hustle and energy defender that runs the floor. That type of player.
mojo13
Veteran
And1: 1,882

Post#5 » by mojo13 » Thu May 4, 2017 9:36 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:

He is 100% for sure not a 3 and D prospect. He's athletic, he has good size, he has a good motor, and he's good for giving hustle and energy on the court. No way is he a 3 point shooter.

He's definitely capable of being a rotation player, but don't expect anything in the way of any basketball skills, including outside shooting. He's going to be a hustle and energy defender that runs the floor. That type of player.

Dude....He is the leading Efes in 3s for the season and shooting them at 38%. His TS% on the season is 60%.

No one is expecting a superstar here, the question is if he can become a contributor in the NBA. You seem to admit he can be an NBA role player.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by Mirotic12 » Thu May 4, 2017 10:25 pm

mojo13 wrote:Dude....He is the leading Efes in 3s for the season and shooting them at 38%. His TS% on the season is 60%.

No one is expecting a superstar here, the question is if he can become a contributor in the NBA. You seem to admit he can be an NBA role player.

I explain this over and over...stats are meaningless if you provide no context. He's left open all the time because he can't shoot. He's the 2nd worst shooter out of any perimeter player they have, with only Balbay being worse, and he may be the worst shooter of any guard in Europe.

In any objective analysis, anyone that has seen Osman play knows he's a bad shooter. He will hit the back board, or air ball with just the slightest defensive pressure on him.

Just looking at raw stats is never the way to judge what kind of a shooter a player is. You have to watch them play. I would seriously doubt if anyone that follows EuroLeague would say Osman is a good shooter - I am very confident they would not.

Can he be a role player in NBA? Yes. Is he a "3 and D player"? No, because he isn't a 3 point shooter. Not unless teams are going to simply leave him open and not guard him. If anything, his lack of outside shooting ability is a huge weakness and liability for Efes.
Cenkbakir
Ballboy
And1: 13

Post#7 » by Cenkbakir » Fri May 5, 2017 12:03 am

Mirotic12 wrote:
mojo13 wrote:Dude....He is the leading Efes in 3s for the season and shooting them at 38%. His TS% on the season is 60%.

I explain this over and over...stats are meaningless if you provide no context. He's left open all the time because he can't shoot. He's the 2nd worst shooter out of any perimeter player they have, with only Balbay being worse, and he may be the worst shooter of any guard in Europe.

In any objective analysis, anyone that has seen Osman play knows he's a bad shooter. He will hit the back board, or air ball with just the slightest defensive pressure on him.

Just looking at raw stats is never the way to judge what kind of a shooter a player is. You have to watch them play. I would seriously doubt if anyone that follows EuroLeague would say Osman is a good shooter - I am very confident they would not.

Can he be a role player in NBA? Yes. Is he a "3 and D player"? No, because he isn't a 3 point shooter. Not unless teams are going to simply leave him open and not guard him. If anything, his lack of outside shooting ability is a huge weakness and liability for Efes.

There is too much false information in this article.First of all, how can is he left open all the time while shooting almost 5 threes per game with %42 ? Is this logical ?

I am a Turkish guy who follows Euroleague and Turkish League closely.So, i have little more knowledge than you about Osman.He can not be mentioned as a bad shooter.He is just inconsistent but his shooting can develop because his shot mechanic looks fine.He is shooting with %38 in euroleague (almost 3 attempts per game) and with % 42 in Turkish League ( almost 5 attempts per game).You can not leave open a guy with these percentages in Europe.You know this fact very well.

Your second statement is also false.Tyler Honeycutt and Jayson Granger are worse shooter than Cedi.

I can not claim Cedi is a good shooter but he is not a bad one either.He just need consistency.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by Mirotic12 » Fri May 5, 2017 2:53 am

Neutral based views of people that follow EuroLeague right here...........

http://www.interbasket.net/forums/showthread.php?30408-Anadolu-Efes-2016-17/page4

I definitely don't see anyone saying he's a good shooter......

Actually, they are much less optimistic about him than I am. I think he definitely can be a role player in NBA, while almost all of them say no.
Cenkbakir
Ballboy

Post#9 » by Cenkbakir » Fri May 5, 2017 11:44 am

Mirotic12 wrote:Neutral based views of people that follow EuroLeague right here...........

http://www.interbasket.net/forums/showthread.php?30408-Anadolu-Efes-2016-17/page4

I definitely don't see anyone saying he's a good shooter......

Actually, they are much less optimistic about him than I am. I think he definitely can be a role player in NBA, while almost all of them say no.

He is not a good shooter definitely but not bad also as you claim.He has a tools to be a role player in NBA; good size, athleticism, motor.The real question is ' is he open to develop ? '

He needs to put some muscles, his ball-handling should improve and he needs make open shots consistently. I think after 1-2 years in NBA, he will be fine with those.

His game is more suitable for NBA than Europe.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by Mirotic12 » Fri May 5, 2017 9:38 pm

Cenkbakir wrote:He is not a good shooter definitely but not bad also as you claim.He has a tools to be a role player in NBA; good size, athleticism, motor.The real question is ' is he open to develop ? '

He needs to put some muscles, his ball-handling should improve and he needs make open shots consistently. I think after 1-2 years in NBA, he will be fine with those.

His game is more suitable for NBA than Europe.

Not really. He is a hustle and energy role player in either league. His game is basically equally suited to both leagues.
Cenkbakir
Ballboy

Post#11 » by Cenkbakir » Fri May 5, 2017 11:31 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:
Not really. He is a hustle and energy role player in either league. His game is basically equally suited to both leagues.

Yeah this is what i am talking about.NBA basketball is much faster than Europe basketball.So, he can find more field to show his those features in NBA.

Cedi's game is getting high with faster tempo.That's why he looked like crap in Olympiacos games.

I agree with you he can not hold in NBA with his current game.But, if he can come as soon as possible.He will have the time for necessary improvements.1-2 years later, it would be too late.
baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,369

Post#12 » by baldur » Tue May 9, 2017 2:02 pm

He hasnt lived up to expectations so far. He is nothing great at any particular aspect of the game. In best case scenario, he can be a garbage time player for a few seasons in the nba. That's pretty much it.
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,027

Post#13 » by mg » Sat May 13, 2017 3:24 pm

Cavs would probably just use him in the Derrick Williams role to provide hustle and energy off the bench for 10 minutes a night.. Dellavedova wasn't much of a PG but they did miss his energy off the bench this season. They would probably be happy to have a young hustle player with good size signed to a cheap contract the next few years.
blazeyo
Sixth Man
And1: 1,864

Post#14 » by blazeyo » Fri May 19, 2017 8:53 am

Cavs should trade him. He is not going to get any playing time..

Return to International Basketball