ImageImageImage

Bucs Rookie mini camp, OTAs, Training camp, PreSeason thread....

Moderator: craig01

Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Bucs Rookie mini camp, OTAs, Training camp, PreSeason thread.... 

Post#1 » by Nemesis21 » Fri May 5, 2017 10:38 pm

A thread for all things from Rookie Mini camp to the Preseason.

The Bucs signed 14 undrafted FA's, we began speaking about some in the Draft thread.

http://www.buccaneers.com/news/article-smith/Bucs-Rookie-Free-Agents-Flesh-Out-Roster/0bbae856-9641-489b-bc56-2349782ddfb7

The Bucs also brought in veteran WR Riley Cooper for a tryout and chance to make the team,

https://www.pewterreport.com/former-eagles-wr-cooper-looking-for-redemption-and-opportunity-with-bucs/

2017 Bucs 3rd round pick WR Chris Godwin worked out with Calvin Johnson between the combine/Pro days and the draft.

http://www.buccaneers.com/news/article-1/Chris-Godwin-Groomed-by-Calvin-Johnson/38734744-55ea-4239-a779-245124f503f0
Nemesis21
RealGM

Re: Bucs Rookie mini camp, OTAs, Training camp, PreSeason thread.... 

Post#2 » by Nemesis21 » Fri May 5, 2017 10:44 pm

I'd like to see Cooper make the team, the Bucs had 6 WRs on the 53 man roster last season.

Evans
D Jax
Humphries
Godwin
Cooper
Wilson

Those would be my 6.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#3 » by Nemesis21 » Tue May 9, 2017 2:32 pm

The Bucs released Riley Cooper. Which I think is dumb, you have to give a guy more than 3 practices, when he hasn't played in a year. They'll take 11 WRs in to OTA's, mini camp. Jackson, Godwin, Mike Evans, Adam Humphries, Donteea Dye, Freddie Martino, Josh Huff, Bernard Reedy, Thomas Sperbeck, Derel Walker and Jesus "Bobo" Wilson.

If they had let him go thru OTA's and mini camp, into training camp, I'd easily, easily take him over any of the WRs above that I put in bold. If Evans or DJax goes down, the WR core is extremely thin and you are banking on not much expierence outside of Dye, Martino and Huff, who all saw action for the Bucs last season. It's pretty damn dumb to me to release a proven NFL vet after just 3 practices where Jameis Winston wasn't throwing the ball to the WRs, Sefo and Renfree were.
denterprise
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,021

Post#4 » by denterprise » Fri May 12, 2017 11:26 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:The Bucs released Riley Cooper. Which I think is dumb, you have to give a guy more than 3 practices, when he hasn't played in a year. They'll take 11 WRs in to OTA's, mini camp. Jackson, Godwin, Mike Evans, Adam Humphries, Donteea Dye, Freddie Martino, Josh Huff, Bernard Reedy, Thomas Sperbeck, Derel Walker and Jesus "Bobo" Wilson.

If they had let him go thru OTA's and mini camp, into training camp, I'd easily, easily take him over any of the WRs above that I put in bold. If Evans or DJax goes down, the WR core is extremely thin and you are banking on not much expierence outside of Dye, Martino and Huff, who all saw action for the Bucs last season. It's pretty damn dumb to me to release a proven NFL vet after just 3 practices where Jameis Winston wasn't throwing the ball to the WRs, Sefo and Renfree were.

Maybe they felt he was gong to be a distraction to the team. There could have been players that felt because of his racist rants they did not want him on the team. Time to move on and give victor cruz a call.
MMFla
Pro Prospect
And1: 90

Post#5 » by MMFla » Sat May 13, 2017 2:53 am

I'm really liking Godwin after all I read up on OJ and him being a steal at 19, I think this guy could be another steal for us.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#6 » by Nemesis21 » Sat May 13, 2017 4:09 am

denterprise wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:The Bucs released Riley Cooper. Which I think is dumb, you have to give a guy more than 3 practices, when he hasn't played in a year. They'll take 11 WRs in to OTA's, mini camp. Jackson, Godwin, Mike Evans, Adam Humphries, Donteea Dye, Freddie Martino, Josh Huff, Bernard Reedy, Thomas Sperbeck, Derel Walker and Jesus "Bobo" Wilson.

Maybe they felt he was gong to be a distraction to the team. There could have been players that felt because of his racist rants they did not want him on the team. Time to move on and give victor cruz a call.

Cruz is about to sign with the Bears.
denterprise
Assistant Coach

Post#7 » by denterprise » Sun May 14, 2017 11:18 am

MMFla wrote:I'm really liking Godwin after all I read up on OJ and him being a steal at 19, I think this guy could be another steal for us.

I hope he does turn out to be a steal. The key for all our offensive weapons reaching their full potential will be the offensive line.
denterprise
Assistant Coach

Post#8 » by denterprise » Sun May 14, 2017 11:30 am

Nemesis21 wrote:
denterprise wrote:

He will meet with them and also the Jags. He met with the Baltimore and other teams are now showing interest. At this point he may cost more than the Bucs are willing to spend on a WR where they are deep.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#9 » by Nemesis21 » Sun May 14, 2017 3:44 pm

denterprise wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:
denterprise wrote:

He will meet with them and also the Jags. He met with the Baltimore and other teams are now showing interest. At this point he may cost more than the Bucs are willing to spend on a WR where they are deep.

Ok, I had read that he and the Bears were close to a deal.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#10 » by Nemesis21 » Fri May 19, 2017 2:38 pm

Finally the Bucs bring in a FA back up QB, the Bucs have signed Ryan Fitzpatrick to a one year deal.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19417311/tampa-bay-buccaneers-qb-ryan-fitzpatrick-agree-terms

We can all worry a little less if Winston goes down.

The Bucs released QB Sean Renfree, to make room on 90 man roster for Fitzpatrick. Ryan Griffin and Sefo Liufau will compete for 3rd string/practice squad.
denterprise
Assistant Coach

Post#11 » by denterprise » Fri May 19, 2017 8:16 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:Finally the Bucs bring in a FA back up QB, the Bucs have signed Ryan Fitzpatrick to a one year deal.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19417311/tampa-bay-buccaneers-qb-ryan-fitzpatrick-agree-terms

The Bucs released QB Sean Renfree, to make room on 90 man roster for Fitzpatrick. Ryan Griffin and Sefo Liufau will compete for 3rd string/practice squad.

If Ryan is taking snaps we better worry:
Fitzpatrick started 11 games and was mostly terrible, at one point throwing nine interceptions over a two-game stretch. He was benched twice. For comparison’s sake, free agent Colin Kaepernick has thrown nine interceptions over the last two seasons combined.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/05/19/bucs-sign-ryan-fitzpatrick-as-nfl-teams-continue-to-avoid-colin-kaepernick/?utm_term=.f2fd80ca1d7b

We should have went for Kaepernick who is a much better QB.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#12 » by Nemesis21 » Fri May 19, 2017 8:40 pm

denterprise wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:Finally the Bucs bring in a FA back up QB, the Bucs have signed Ryan Fitzpatrick to a one year deal.

Fitzpatrick started 11 games and was mostly terrible, at one point throwing nine interceptions over a two-game stretch. He was benched twice. For comparison’s sake, free agent Colin Kaepernick has thrown nine interceptions over the last two seasons combined.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/05/19/bucs-sign-ryan-fitzpatrick-as-nfl-teams-continue-to-avoid-colin-kaepernick/?utm_term=.f2fd80ca1d7b

Wow man, he's not starting. But still very nice insurance should Winston go down. If that did happen, Fitz won't have to try and carry the team like he had to with the Jets. Here he can manage the game, hand it off to one of three running backs, and there are like a million more weapons on this offense than the Jets the last two seasons. And with the improvement of our defense and our run first offense, he doesn't need to put everything on himself.
The Bucs get an A for this move, 1 yr $3 mill. They will continue to groom Griffin and Sefo to be the long term back up.
denterprise
Assistant Coach

Post#13 » by denterprise » Sat May 20, 2017 5:59 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:
denterprise wrote:

Wow man, he's not starting. But still very nice insurance should Winston go down. If that did happen, Fitz won't have to try and carry the team like he had to with the Jets. Here he can manage the game, hand it off to one of three running backs, and there are like a million more weapons on this offense than the Jets the last two seasons. And with the improvement of our defense and our run first offense, he doesn't need to put everything on himself.
The Bucs get an A for this move, 1 yr $3 mill. They will continue to groom Griffin and Sefo to be the long term back up.

All backup QB's are one snap away from being your starter. If Winston goes down for a play or two your theory of him not hurting the team is reasonable. If Winston goes down for an extended period of time you need someone capable of being your starter and performing, not just playing to keep from hurting you. There were better options out there if they wanted to explore it. If they rejected the Bucs and Ryan is all they could get, then so be it, but Ryan Fitzpatrick and rest easier should never be in the same sentence. You don't give a team an "A" for picking up a scrub. If they were unable to do better I would just say they did ok, and pray we don't have to see him take a snap this season.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#14 » by Nemesis21 » Sat May 20, 2017 6:20 pm

denterprise wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:
denterprise wrote:

All backup QB's are one snap away from being your starter. If Winston goes down for a play or two your theory of him not hurting the team is reasonable. If Winston goes down for an extended period of time you need someone capable of being your starter and performing, not just playing to keep from hurting you. There were better options out there if they wanted to explore it. If they rejected the Bucs and Ryan is all they could get, then so be it, but Ryan Fitzpatrick and rest easier should never be in the same sentence. You don't give a team an "A" for picking up a scrub. If they were unable to do better I would just say they did ok, and pray we don't have to see him take a snap this season.

Well sounds like you are solely judging Fitz on last year.
denterprise
Assistant Coach

Post#15 » by denterprise » Thu Jun 1, 2017 11:23 pm

Marpet is making that move to center. Hopefully this will solidify the offensive line. The "O" line and the secondary hold the keys on how far this team goes next season.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#16 » by Nemesis21 » Sat Aug 5, 2017 4:18 pm

As you may or not know, the Bucs were selected for HBO's Hard Knocks series. We can start viewing on the 8th.
Minato
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#17 » by Minato » Fri Sep 1, 2017 1:40 pm

Bummer this forum isn't more active. How are we feelin about Winston & the boys this year? I'm pretty excited.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#18 » by Nemesis21 » Sat Sep 2, 2017 1:45 am

Minato wrote:Bummer this forum isn't more active. How are we feelin about Winston & the boys this year? I'm pretty excited.

Welcome! I've tried to get this forum more active, even requesting to be co MOD, since the 1 MOD of this board has been absent for nearly 2 years.

I'm pretty excited too. Definitely see playoffs this year.

Return to Tampa Bay Buccaneers