2017 MLB Draft Thread, June 12-14

Moderator: JaysRule15

Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,049

2017 MLB Draft Thread, June 12-14 

Post#1 » by Schad » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:11 am

Jays bonus pool: $8,231,000 (13th-largest)

Picks:

22nd overall.
28th overall (compensation for Encarnacion);
61st overall.
99th overall.

every thirty picks thereafter.

Some names that are good and might be available:

Heliot Ramos, OF, Puerto Rico HS.
CJ Van Eyk, RHP, FL HS.
Ricky Tyler Thomas, LHP, Fresno State. I'd go mudding and/or spree murdering with a guy named Ricky Tyler Thomas.

Pretty dull draft for names, but they're probably good at baseball or something. Take 'er away, Met.
**** your asterisk.
Wally West
Starter
And1: 329

Re: 2017 MLB Draft Thread, June 12-14 

Post#2 » by Wally West » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:05 am

Asa Lacy. Go get him.
Want: Trae Young, Michael Porter Jr., DeAndre Ayton, Jaren Jackson Jr, Marvin Bagley III, Mohamad Bamba, Shai Gilgeous- Alexander, Elie Okobo, Jevon Carter
Skin Blues
Veteran
And1: 871

Post#3 » by Skin Blues » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:37 pm

Schad wrote:Ricky Tyler Thomas, LHP, Fresno State. I'd go mudding and/or spree murdering with a guy named Ricky Tyler Thomas.

My first thought was a hillbilly version of Randy from Home Improvement.
Black Watch
Bench Warmer
And1: 762

Post#4 » by Black Watch » Mon May 1, 2017 11:22 pm

My butt still hurts from resigning Bautista and missing out on the comp pick...
Black Watch and Hamyltowne, my former usernames, are tartan patterns. Nothing to do with any race or any city.
North_of_Border
Pro Prospect
And1: 369

Re: RE: Re: 2017 MLB Draft Thread, June 12-14 

Post#5 » by North_of_Border » Tue May 2, 2017 2:55 am

Black Watch wrote:My butt still hurts from resigning Bautista and missing out on the comp pick...

No one was gonna give up a draft pick and sign Bautista at his demands. Nor was Bautista gonna take on a bargain deal, where a team agrees to give up their pick.

What would of happened is, Bautista starts the season as a FA. Then after the draft, he can sign with a team without draft pick compensation.... Jays get nothing.

Jays made the best decision by signing him. At least he can be dealt later in the season if he heats up. It's just a 1 year deal, so not much if risk for anyone who trades for him. Of course what the Jays get for him will depend on his play on the field..... anything from a B prospect now l, to a very good prospect if he starts to hit.
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,461
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#6 » by SharoneWright » Thu May 4, 2017 3:48 am

Skin Blues wrote:
Schad wrote:Ricky Tyler Thomas, LHP, Fresno State. I'd go mudding and/or spree murdering with a guy named Ricky Tyler Thomas.

My first thought was a hillbilly version of Randy from Home Improvement.

My first thought was plenty of names, and yet no surname.

Ricky Bobby, etc.…
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
Ong_dynasty
Head Coach
And1: 351

Post#7 » by Ong_dynasty » Thu May 4, 2017 4:53 am

Anybody know if this is a good draft? And secondly..it's sad I know but anybody have an idea if next years draft is suppose to be good?
-MetA4-
Head Coach
And1: 465

Post#8 » by -MetA4- » Thu May 4, 2017 4:14 pm

Black Watch
Bench Warmer
And1: 762

Re: RE: Re: 2017 MLB Draft Thread, June 12-14 

Post#9 » by Black Watch » Fri May 5, 2017 1:43 am

North_of_Border wrote:
Black Watch wrote:My butt still hurts from resigning Bautista and missing out on the comp pick...

No one was gonna give up a draft pick and sign Bautista at his demands. Nor was Bautista gonna take on a bargain deal, where a team agrees to give up their pick.

What would of happened is, Bautista starts the season as a FA. Then after the draft, he can sign with a team without draft pick compensation.... Jays get nothing.

Jays made the best decision by signing him. At least he can be dealt later in the season if he heats up. It's just a 1 year deal, so not much if risk for anyone who trades for him. Of course what the Jays get for him will depend on his play on the field..... anything from a B prospect now l, to a very good prospect if he starts to hit.

Four words to this popular conjecture: Would that it were.

Unfortunately for us, he had offers on the table:

mlbtraderumors.com wrote:The Indians made an offer to Jose Bautista that was for roughly the same $18.5MM guarantee he received with the Blue Jays, Heyman reports, and they weren’t entirely closed off to a multi-year deal. However, Bautista’s preference was to head back to Toronto.

mlbtraderumors.com wrote:Jose Bautista spurned a much bigger contract offer to return to the Blue Jays, according to Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports. The veteran outfielder could have scored a three-year deal with “well over $50MM in guaranteed money,” per the report, but chose to head back to Toronto for one year at a $18.5MM guarantee (combined with a mutual and then a vesting option). While it’s not clear from where it issued, the offer is said to have materialized in mid-January, which is particularly notable when considering the oft-discussed narrative that sluggers like Bautista weren’t able to generate much interest this winter. Bautista, 36, says he considered all relevant factors. Ultimately, he says, “this is here I’m happy and comfortable.”

mlbtraderumors.com wrote:Jose Bautista was choosing “between five or six places” this offseason before ultimately deciding to return to the Blue Jays, the slugger told Sportsnet’s Shi Davidi and other reporters. There wasn’t too much buzz surrounding Bautista’s market this winter, as he was ultimately able to land only one guaranteed year on an $18.5MM salary, though another two years and $36.5MM could be available in option years. While the list of suitors was “not as many as I was expecting,” Bautista said he is happy to be returning to his first choice team.
Black Watch and Hamyltowne, my former usernames, are tartan patterns. Nothing to do with any race or any city.
Moxie
Junior
And1: 23

Post#10 » by Moxie » Fri May 5, 2017 4:00 am

Just based on names, I want Bubba Thompson and Hagen Danner (!!!)
Moxie
Junior
And1: 23

Post#11 » by Moxie » Fri May 5, 2017 4:14 am

DL Hall is an amaaaazing name for a pitcher.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Schad » Fri May 5, 2017 5:20 am

Josh Johnson made it into the DL Hall in his first year of eligibility.
**** your asterisk.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Schad » Sat May 6, 2017 8:04 pm

We seem to be getting linked to Logan Warmoth in a number of places (in a "he's the Jays kind of player" way). He's a college shortstop who should be solid defensively at the position, though without the biggest of arms, and is considered to be a safe-ish pick, as he can hit, get on base, and run well. Also, the more I think about it, the more I appreciate Logan Warmoth as a name.

David Peterson seems to be another one to watch. Could be gone when we select (he's mocked all over the back half of the first round, and occasionally higher), he's a 6'6" college lefty with good stuff and a lot of movement, but some control issues. Struck out 20 in a game earlier this season.

Also seems like we're getting linked with college guys again. That doesn't always mean low-ceiling (Peterson could be fairly boom or bust), but we have had much more success refining high school kiddies into top prospects than we have in turning supposedly safe players into major leaguers.
**** your asterisk.
-MetA4-
Head Coach

Post#14 » by -MetA4- » Sat May 6, 2017 10:44 pm

Yeah, BA seems convinced that we're going into serious "mitigate risk" mode, which isn't very fun. The mid-first scrappy "do it all at average or slightly above average tools, may or may not stick college SS" profile is one of my most hated draft profiles, so I'm naturally weary of Warmoth. I'd prefer Jake Burger if you're talking college bats.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by Schad » Sat May 6, 2017 10:58 pm

-MetA4- wrote:Yeah, BA seems convinced that we're going into serious "mitigate risk" mode, which isn't very fun. The mid-first scrappy "do it all at average or slightly above average tools, may or may not stick college SS" profile is one of my most hated draft profiles, so I'm naturally weary of Warmoth. I'd prefer Jake Burger if you're talking college bats.

They seem to be framing it in terms of our focus on 'analytics', but that comes in all shapes and sizes. I mean, Cherington had some college-heavy drafts, but he also used his firsts in 2013 and 2014 on three high school kids in Trey Ball, Michael Kopech and Michael Chavis (with varying degrees of success there). Hoping we're going to be a little more adventurous...after all, our best pick last year looks like it was another high school kid.
**** your asterisk.
-MetA4-
Head Coach

Post#16 » by -MetA4- » Sat May 6, 2017 11:08 pm

Schad wrote:They seem to be framing it in terms of our focus on 'analytics', but that comes in all shapes and sizes. I mean, Cherington had some college-heavy drafts, but he also used his firsts in 2013 and 2014 on three high school kids in Trey Ball, Michael Kopech and Michael Chavis (with varying degrees of success there). Hoping we're going to be a little more adventurous...after all, our best pick last year looks like it was another high school kid.

Yeah, to be honest I'm not overly convinced in BA's current draft reporting with Callis gone and the site kind of declining on that end. I'm interested in seeing if the supposed "mitigate risk" draft strategy changes if the team completely tanks...ie: if you're all of a sudden in an obvious rebuild mode, then there isn't much point in not going with a straight BPA mindset. The newest player rankings have a lot more HS kids around our range (20's) than I thought would be there initially. The huge Oregon LHP is super interesting but I imagine he'll play himself out of our range by the time the draft comes if he's even remotely as dominant as he's been to date. No way a 6'6 stocky college LHP with plus stuff is still sitting there at 22. The LHP from Houston who is dropping because of off-field problems (Seth Romero) is interesting IMO if you want to take a risk on his makeup. He was Top 10-15 going into the season before two suspensions.
Wally West
Starter
And1: 329

Post#17 » by Wally West » Sun May 7, 2017 1:00 am

Wally West wrote:Asa Lacy. Go get him.

No one got the reference here. Ladies and gentlemen, Asa Lacy is a person.

Schad wrote:Josh Johnson made it into the DL Hall in his first year of eligibility.

:rofl:

Schad wrote:We seem to be getting linked to Logan Warmoth in a number of places (in a "he's the Jays kind of player" way). He's a college shortstop who should be solid defensively at the position, though without the biggest of arms, and is considered to be a safe-ish pick, as he can hit, get on base, and run well. Also, the more I think about it, the more I appreciate Logan Warmoth as a name.

Meh.. I feel like I've seen this scouting report before. Reminds me of Alex Blandino who from what I remember didn't have a strongest of arms and had to move to 2nd base. His development has since stagnated at Double A.

-MetA4- wrote:I'd prefer Jake Burger if you're talking college bats.

I can get on board with this but I'd be shocked if he was there at our first pick.
Want: Trae Young, Michael Porter Jr., DeAndre Ayton, Jaren Jackson Jr, Marvin Bagley III, Mohamad Bamba, Shai Gilgeous- Alexander, Elie Okobo, Jevon Carter
Wo1verine
2015 Beat the Commish Champion
And1: 11,761

Post#18 » by Wo1verine » Sun May 7, 2017 7:16 pm

Yeah, I'll always prefer the superstar type potential players that are more likely to bust over the ' safe picks'
BrunoSkull
-MetA4-
Head Coach

Post#19 » by -MetA4- » Mon May 15, 2017 1:59 am

Just did some Twitter digging. Blue Jays scouts were seen watching 6'6 175 pound HS RHP Caden Lemons two days ago. Lemons is ranked #74 on MLB.com and #96 on BA.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by Schad » Mon May 15, 2017 2:28 am

-MetA4- wrote:Just did some Twitter digging. Blue Jays scouts were seen watching 6'6 175 pound HS RHP Caden Lemons two days ago. Lemons is ranked #74 on MLB.com and #96 on BA.

Fking hell and I thought I was a stick figure.

Gains points because Lemons is the sort of last name that makes for an infinite number of bad puns and nicknames. Loses points becasue he's on the Caden/Braden/Jayden continuum.
**** your asterisk.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays