Justin Jackson

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

jsa
Junior
And1: 70

Justin Jackson 

Post#1 » by jsa » Tue May 2, 2017 10:38 pm

Not so popular with draftniks, but I see Tayshaun Prince if his shot gets a bit better. That is good.
RipCity71252
Pro Prospect
And1: 194

Re: Justin Jackson 

Post#2 » by RipCity71252 » Tue May 2, 2017 11:42 pm

I like Justin Jackson, but the the dearth of quality wings after the top 6-7 plus UNC's tournament run probably gets him over-drafted.

He's a high IQ player on both ends w/o great tools but if he continues to progress as a high volume / good % 3pt shooter--shot selection and mechanics are still a WIP--I feel pretty comfortable projecting him in the 18-25 range in a re-draft 3-5 years from now.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#3 » by doordoor123 » Wed May 3, 2017 2:08 am

Which Justin Jackson are we talking about? I like both.

I'm higher on North Carlina's Justin Jackson than most. He has great lateral movement, great length and he could really get up jumping. I could see him defending 2-4. He can also shoot off of screens, shoot off the dribble and he has an insane mid-range game (which usually translates to success). Oh yeah, he's also really quick for his size and should get a lot of transition buckets. His translation will depend on his confidence IMO. If he's confident and has a good point guard, I think he's going to do really well.

The other Justin Jackson is more of a 3-4 than a 2. He likes to post up at times and his foot speed isn't enough to catch guards. He's an efficient player and he's strong for someone so young. I don't think is upside is too high though.
jonjames
Veteran
And1: 1,757

Post#4 » by jonjames » Wed May 3, 2017 2:21 am

Markelle fultz 1-3
Josh Jackson 1-4
Terrance Ferguson late lottery to early 20s
Justin Jackson mid to late 1st
Luke Kennard mid 1st to mid 2nd
Hamidou Diallo mid 1st to early 2nd
Josh Hart late1st to mid 2nd
Wesley Iwundu early 2nd to mid 2nd
Sindarius Thornwell early 2nd to undrafted
Grayson Allen early 2nd to undrafted
Dillon Brooks mid 2nd to undrafted
Dwayne Bacon mid 2nd to undrafted
Tyler Dorsey mid 2nd to undrafted
Trevon Blueitt most likely undrafted

Theo Pinson returning??
Not bad group
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by doordoor123 » Wed May 3, 2017 2:25 am

jonjames wrote:Markelle fultz
Josh Jackson
Terrance Ferguson
Justin Jackson
Luke kennard
Hamidou diallo
Josh Hart
Sindarius Thornwell
Grayson Allen
Dillon Brooks
Dwayne Bacon
Tyler Dorsey
Trevon Blueitt

Theo Pinson returning??
Not bad group

Hamidou Diallo and Justin Jackson are forwards IMO
jonjames
Veteran
And1: 1,757

Post#6 » by jonjames » Wed May 3, 2017 3:11 am

doordoor123 wrote:
jonjames wrote:Markelle fultz
Josh Jackson
Terrance Ferguson
Justin Jackson
Luke kennard
Hamidou diallo
Josh Hart
Sindarius Thornwell
Grayson Allen
Dillon Brooks
Dwayne Bacon
Tyler Dorsey
Trevon Blueitt

Theo Pinson returning??
Not bad group

Hamidou Diallo and Justin Jackson are forwards IMO

I included 2s and 3s as wings.
916fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Post#7 » by 916fan » Sat May 6, 2017 4:28 pm

I see Jackson as a late 1st rounder. He plays way too soft. It looks like he finally added more weight, but not all that much. Maybe 210 max. He plays like a guard, and I think that's why his ceiling is a role player. I could see him fitting the Spurs system perfectly. High IQ, good passer, 3pt shooting, etc. Not completely sold on his shot, but it's promising this year.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by doordoor123 » Sat May 6, 2017 8:40 pm

916fan wrote:I see Jackson as a late 1st rounder. He plays way too soft. It looks like he finally added more weight, but not all that much. Maybe 210 max. He plays like a guard, and I think that's why his ceiling is a role player. I could see him fitting the Spurs system perfectly. High IQ, good passer, 3pt shooting, etc. Not completely sold on his shot, but it's promising this year.

I could see him playing guard in the NBA. He has the lateral movement and jump shot to do it. It's hard for me not to be sold on his shot since his midrange is really accurate and it's his first year extending out to the 3.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#9 » by vincecarter4pres » Tue May 9, 2017 12:38 am

Just don't believe in him in the NBA if you're expecting some kind of star, or even a 5+ year starter. I've seen some Danny Green comments here and elsewhere and how he has to be better than him and I don't see it, not even sure if I see as good. He's too skinny and he's not super quick, his shot is funky and low and he isn't particularly explosive in any sense of the word and if he puts weight on to me it will only exasperate things.

I'd be pretty surprised if he couldn't be a Matt Barnes type without all the off court issues and that's a great pick later in the 1st and there's nothing wrong with that as a player, but I feel like people think he's a lock to be a 15/6/2 guy with great D and has Danny Granger upside and although I wouldn't go as far as to call that ridiculous, I do feel it's highly unlikely.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by doordoor123 » Tue May 9, 2017 12:50 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:Just don't believe in him in the NBA if you're expecting some kind of star, or even a 5+ year starter. I've seen some Danny Green comments here and elsewhere and how he has to be better than him and I don't see it, not even sure if I see as good. He's too skinny and he's not super quick, his shot is funky and low and he isn't particularly explosive in any sense of the word and if he puts weight on to me it will only exasperate things.

I'd be pretty surprised if he couldn't be a Matt Barnes type without all the off court issues and that's a great pick later in the 1st and there's nothing wrong with that as a player, but I feel like people think he's a lock to be a 15/6/2 guy with great D and has Danny Granger upside and although I wouldn't go as far as to call that ridiculous, I do feel it's highly unlikely.

Which Justin Jackson are you talking about? If you're talking about North Carolina's JJ, how is too skinny an issue for a wing? He's also actually really quick for someone his size. He looks a little stiff in his movements, but so think he just has a weird frame with high shoulders. He beats guys down the court in transition all the time. He's also sneakily athletic. Before his sophomore season he was predicted to be a top 10 pick by many. His mid-range shot is top-notch and this past year was his first year shooting many 3s. I don't think he will instantly have 15 points per game, but he will be productive right away since he's a long wing defender who can really slide on defense. He's a safe pick who can possibly be really good, just not too good. He hasn't shown the ability to be a threat creating baskets for himself, but he has so much already there I wouldn't put it past him to develop that. In one year he already became a much better 3 point shooter, so i think he's a worker and I think he loves the game. Everything he has is a recipe for success.

Return to NBA Draft