ImageImage

Series Thread: Mets @ Braunless Brewers

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,663

Re: RE: Re: Series Thread: Mets @ Braunless Brewers 

Post#61 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sun May 14, 2017 9:47 pm

Turk Nowitzki wrote:I'm going to enjoy this while I can because the rotation is a ticking timebomb. You can only last so long when none of your starters can even last 5 innings.

That Pina homer was an insane moment though.

Who knows maybe guerra comes back strong and at some point later this summer guys like lopez, woodfuf, and hader will get a shot.

Now don't get me wrong I don't really expect the brewers to be in the race all yr. Can't imagine this hitting is sustainable. But its fun right now.

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
bizarro
RealGM
And1: 7,290

Re: Series Thread: Mets @ Braunless Brewers 

Post#62 » by bizarro » Sun May 14, 2017 9:53 pm

I believe it is time:

WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#63 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sun May 14, 2017 9:54 pm

Under the radar aspect of the season is the insane production the brewers have got out of the catcher position. Looked like a weakness coming into the year but bandy and pina have been out of their minds.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Ripster72
Junior
And1: 458

Post#64 » by Ripster72 » Sun May 14, 2017 9:56 pm

The bottom will probably fall out soon, but man it is hard not to be excited thinking about the future. I think Stearns' eye for talent is legit (at least with position players, pitching is still up in the air), and Counsell seems to be growing into his job pretty well. Nice to have some hope again for the team.
sdn40
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,418

Post#65 » by sdn40 » Sun May 14, 2017 9:57 pm

And this despite Villar hitting .222, Braun being limited, and Arcia still in the low .200's.
Dare I say we could be buyers ?
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,013

Post#66 » by ReasonablySober » Sun May 14, 2017 10:01 pm

Crap. I had to bring work home and once the Brewers fell into a hole early I used it as an excuse to turn the TV off. Good for the Brewers for sticking to it. Fun ass team.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,878

Post#67 » by Turk Nowitzki » Sun May 14, 2017 10:03 pm

sdn40 wrote:And this despite Villar hitting .222, Braun being limited, and Arcia still in the low .200's.

If Melvin were still the GM I would be terrified about what he might do if we keep this up. No chance in hell we should be serious buyers.
sdn40
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,418

Post#68 » by sdn40 » Sun May 14, 2017 10:08 pm

Turk Nowitzki wrote:
sdn40 wrote:And this despite Villar hitting .222, Braun being limited, and Arcia still in the low .200's.

If Melvin were still the GM I would be terrified about what he might do if we keep this up. No chance in hell we should be serious buyers.

Here's the thing. If we can sustain this to the trade deadline, Guerra comes back strong, I go after some middle relief. I'm not saying we break the bank on some high priced starters, but we could make some moves on a budget and see what happens. Our payroll is nothing, reward the guys if they can keep this going and get some pitching help and roll the dice. Maybe even get some pitching via a Braun trade since hitting isn't our problem.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#69 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sun May 14, 2017 10:28 pm

Its a long ways off before they need to worry about making the buy/sell decision. Id be more inclined to try and find reinforcements internally.

The only deal I'd be in favor of would be landing a starting pitcher with mid or top of the rotation stuff and many years of team control. For that I'd be willing to use some suplus of OF prospects. But it's not like many teams are looking to trade guys like that so I'm not holding my breath.

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,013

Post#70 » by ReasonablySober » Sun May 14, 2017 10:39 pm

I feel pretty confident that Stearns wouldn't seriously look to add at the deadline if it comes at the expense of prospects or team-controlled big level talent.
IrishRainbow
Veteran
And1: 900

Post#71 » by IrishRainbow » Mon May 15, 2017 12:33 am

Took the 2yr and 3yr to their first MLB game. We made it to the 6th before it was clearly nap time. Figures. They and mom had.a great time...the W is just icing. What a group of guys playing their asses off. Most of this team to outsiders is made up of 'who?'s but I'll be damned you just can't count the offense out. The pitching needs to get sorted and I certainly wouldn't entertain a 'buyers' mentality, but there been fun. The cupboard is fairly stocked, so I won't root for losses as that would make trudging a 162g season unwatchable. Better than expected. Kinda surprised the crowd was so sparse.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#72 » by Bernman » Mon May 15, 2017 1:29 am

I think the hitting is legit. Even if some drop off, others can step up. There's plenty of talent there, even if it wasn't all ballyhooed coming into the year.

It's too bad the pitching is so unreliable. They are way ahead of schedule on the position player front, but are where they are expected or even below in pitching. I think it's time to give up on Peralta. That isn't the case with Davies, but his stuff is underwhelming. Guerra returning, and healthy, would be a little boost. Not enough by itself. Wouldn't want them to look for reinforcements in the trade market before they are ready to win a World Series. So they'll have to rely on their farm. Hader, Wang, and Woodruff are the most viable to upgrade their staff. Hader and Woodruff are down the line options because of service time concerns. Not really bothered if they burn a year with Wang. Might be worth a flyer to see if he can bolster their staff. I really don't think it would take a lot to remain a playoff contender. 5 serviceable starters might do it, or a couple pitching like front of the rotation guys, and a few more merely adequate to allow their potent offense to put them in position to win a high majority of the time.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#73 » by El Duderino » Mon May 15, 2017 6:56 am

ReasonablySober wrote:Crap. I had to bring work home and once the Brewers fell into a hole early I used it as an excuse to turn the TV off. Good for the Brewers for sticking to it. Fun ass team.

I was out to eat this afternoon for Mother's Day, but i had the game on my DVR. The place we ate at had the game on a TV, but no sound so i made a point to sit with my back to the TV, so glad i did.

Came home and watched the game, what a blast that was to see. When Pina hit that home run, that was the most excited i got for a Brewers game in awhile and was so relieved that i didn't have to sit through a Feliz torture fest 9th inning.

Man this team is fun to watch the way they can rake.
IrishRainbow
Veteran
And1: 900

Post#74 » by IrishRainbow » Mon May 15, 2017 12:24 pm

Brewers pitching dead last with an opponent BA .274. I mean, that's about as sustainable as the Brewers offense...right? That's gotta come down. If it doesn't, and the O dries up for a spell that could mean a heavy skid.
jute2003
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,325

Post#75 » by jute2003 » Mon May 15, 2017 1:50 pm

The offense is pretty crazy. They're doing it with some expected key contributors unavailable or slumping as well. That makes me believe that even if a couple of the hot hitters cool, the team offense will remain pretty potent.

It's to bad Feliz has shat himself thus far. Was worth the risk but disappointing nonetheless.

Hopefully, a couple guys get healthy and a couple others pull their heads out of their asses.

I don't expect them to compete but at least they're entertaining

Sent from my SM-G955U using RealGM mobile app
only a fan, only an opinion
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,949

Post#76 » by BUCKnation » Mon May 15, 2017 5:44 pm

Wow didn't even know we won until this morning. Didn't check Brewers related stuff b/c I thought we lost, b/c everytime I turned the game on they were horrible (huge Mets inning, then leaving guys on 2nd and 3rd in the 7th).

Return to Milwaukee Brewers