ImageImageImage

OT: Anything Outside Basketball (games, tv series, books and etc.)

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,343

OT: Anything Outside Basketball (games, tv series, books and etc.) 

Post#1 » by 76ciology » Mon May 15, 2017 4:29 am

Any TV series you guys can recommend aside from the usual GOT, walking dead, the americans, house of cards and etc.?

Just finished Ray Donovan and I think it is awesome. It's like a mix of madmen, shameless and 24?
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Unbreakable99
General Manager
And1: 3,993

Re: OT: TV Series 

Post#2 » by Unbreakable99 » Mon May 15, 2017 5:02 am

Netflix
Master of None
Narcos
Orange is the new black
Love
Luke Cage
Jessica Jones
Dare Devil

Amazon
Bosch
Goliath
Sneaky Pete
LongLiveHinkie
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#3 » by LongLiveHinkie » Mon May 15, 2017 6:03 am

Black Mirror
The Fall
Fargo
Sherlock(British version)
American Crime Story: The People vs OJ Simpson
True Detective season 1
Doctor Foster
Stranger Things
Bloodline
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,938

Post#4 » by Foshan » Mon May 15, 2017 6:09 am

I'm a big fan of the netflix super hero shows: Cage / DD / Iron fist / JJ (not as much this one)

I've enjoyed "Designated Survivor" recently, reminds me of some of the first seasons of 24, which i enjoyed.

I watched Poldark with my wife... and actually didn't hate it. Not sure I should admit that on the internetz.

Like GoT... don't like walking dead.
Cheatergriffin
Pro Prospect
And1: 356

Post#5 » by Cheatergriffin » Mon May 15, 2017 7:24 am

Just finished fargo season 1. Just started season 2 im hooked.

If u like GOT vikings is good, another show that fits the genre is The Last Kingdom. Was hooked on that shows first season, for never seeing any advertisements def worth a look.
AdotSmoove
Sophomore
And1: 58

Post#6 » by AdotSmoove » Mon May 15, 2017 10:34 am

Peaky Blinders on Netflix. The Wire if you haven't watched it.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,343

Post#7 » by 76ciology » Mon May 15, 2017 4:33 pm

AdotSmoove wrote:Peaky Blinders on Netflix. The Wire if you haven't watched it.

I slept through that Peaky Blinders series. I didn't enjoy it until the final action scene when he takes revenge for I think his murdered wife.

The wire is a legend but havent watched it yet
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
eagereyez
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,462

Post#8 » by eagereyez » Mon May 15, 2017 5:15 pm

The season 1 ending to Peaky Blinders made me quit the show. My current shows are:

Better Call Saul
Silicon Valley
Mr Robot (this one is on thin ice)
Black Mirror
Narcos
Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Game of Thrones

Some good one offs include:

Sense8 (just the 1st season)
True Detective (just the 1st season)
Stranger Things
The Night Of
Freaks and Geeks (GOAT one off)

I don't like any of the superhero shows, just too cheesy with a tv budget. A lot of shows should have ended after 1-2 seasons. The quality just takes a nosedive because the writers run out of ideas.

The Wire and Breaking Bad are must sees if you haven't already.
Unbreakable99
General Manager

Post#9 » by Unbreakable99 » Mon May 15, 2017 5:53 pm

76ciology wrote:

I slept through that Peaky Blinders series. I didn't enjoy it until the final action scene when he takes revenge for I think his murdered wife.

If you haven't watched the wire then put everything on hold and watch that. It's must see. Greatest show ever. "Where's Wallace?!" You will understand that quote when you watch it.
eagereyez
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by eagereyez » Mon May 15, 2017 5:57 pm

The knock on The Wire is that season 2 is basically filler. It has very little relevance to the rest of the story. That is what prevents it from being the GOAT.
Unbreakable99
General Manager

Post#11 » by Unbreakable99 » Mon May 15, 2017 5:59 pm

eagereyez wrote:The knock on The Wire is that season 2 is basically filler. It has very little relevance to the rest of the story. That is what prevents it from being the GOAT.

Nah. Season 2 is the most important season. It is very relevant to the story. The Wire is the goat. Season 2 shows how the drugs gets into Baltimore. Do you think drugs just show up on their own in Baltimore? Someone has to bring them in.
eagereyez
Lead Assistant

Re: RE: Re: OT: TV Series 

Post#12 » by eagereyez » Mon May 15, 2017 6:28 pm

Unbreakable99 wrote:
eagereyez wrote:The knock on The Wire is that season 2 is basically filler. It has very little relevance to the rest of the story. That is what prevents it from being the GOAT.

Nah. Season 2 is the most important season. It is very relevant to the story. The Wire is the goat. Season 2 shows how the drugs gets into Baltimore. Do you think drugs just show up on their own in Baltimore? Someone has to bring them in.

The Wire is about drug dealers, not drug traffickers. They also don't show us how the drugs are made, and I'm glad they didn't waste a season on some heroin lab. Season 2 is missing many of the best characters in the show: Stringer, Omar, Brody, Avon. McNulty is the only one that made season 2 bearable for me.

I think The Wire benefits from rose tinted glasses, because it probably was the GOAT when it came out, but its been surpassed by Breaking Bad imo.
XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,760

Post#13 » by XtremeDunkz » Mon May 15, 2017 7:30 pm

eagereyez wrote:
Unbreakable99 wrote:

The Wire is about drug dealers, not drug traffickers. They also don't show us how the drugs are made, and I'm glad they didn't waste a season on some heroin lab. Season 2 is missing many of the best characters in the show: Stringer, Omar, Brody, Avon. McNulty is the only one that made season 2 bearable for me.

I think The Wire benefits from rose tinted glasses, because it probably was the GOAT when it came out, but its been surpassed by Breaking Bad imo.

Breaking Bad is definitely GOAT and Better Call Saul is well on its way to becoming one of the best spin offs of all time.
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
shawn_hemp
Starter
And1: 1,194

Post#14 » by shawn_hemp » Mon May 15, 2017 7:53 pm

The Comedians on FX

Billy Crystal and Josh Gad co-star

funny show
TTP
Head Coach
And1: 4,398

Post#15 » by TTP » Mon May 15, 2017 8:00 pm

76ciology wrote:

The only answer is The Wire. By far the best TV series I've ever watched and have watched it all the way through ~5 times.
jonjames is a signature bet welcher.

Appostis wrote:You're friend ..is a idiot.
TTP
Head Coach

Post#16 » by TTP » Mon May 15, 2017 8:01 pm

This is such a bad take. I agree that Season 2 is difficult to appreciate when watching the first time through, but it's excellent on rewatch and probably the third or fourth best season (Season 5 is pretty clearly the worst season).

Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,063

Post#17 » by Kobblehead » Mon May 15, 2017 8:05 pm

Downton Abbey
Firefly (short-lived, but excellent)
Orphan Black
Unbreakable99
General Manager

Post#18 » by Unbreakable99 » Mon May 15, 2017 8:06 pm

eagereyez wrote:
Unbreakable99 wrote:

The Wire is about the city of Baltimore, not just drugs. They show politicians and police and drug dealers and kids in school and how they are all intertwined. Breaking Bad can't touch the Wire.
TTP
Head Coach

Post#19 » by TTP » Mon May 15, 2017 8:06 pm

eagereyez wrote:
Unbreakable99 wrote:

The Wire is not about drug dealers or drug traffickers. It's a show that examines society and the flaws that plague various institutions and the effects they have on different people. The drug trade (and the street) is merely one of the areas examined.

Unbreakable99
General Manager

Post#20 » by Unbreakable99 » Mon May 15, 2017 8:07 pm

XtremeDunkz wrote:
eagereyez wrote:
Unbreakable99 wrote:

Breaking Bad is definitely GOAT and Better Call Saul is well on its way to becoming one of the best spin offs of all time.

Breaking Bad isn't better than the Wire. Come on. The last season of Breaking Bad became more fake. Letting Jessie live was dumb. That was so fake. It was a very good show but not GOAT level like the Wire.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers