Nate Wolters

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Chuck Newhouse
Banned User
And1: 980

Nate Wolters 

Post#1 » by Chuck Newhouse » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:34 pm

He has shot up from the mid 40's to the mid 20's in the last month and yet I have not really heard much talk about him at all. I love watching him play and I am wondering if anyone else has noticed him.
Mlockhart
Freshman
And1: 1

Re: Nate Wolters 

Post#2 » by Mlockhart » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:10 pm

I watched him a few times and always came away impressed. Can score but gets others involved. I don't think he participated athletic testing at the combine so who knows there. Looks like a few folks have been high on him for awhile. http://usportshub.com/content/2013-nba-draft-nate-wolters-player-profile

I don't know if he will go in the 20's but he's another hidden gem.
TheToothFairy
Banned User
And1: 297

Post#3 » by TheToothFairy » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:21 pm

Some Knick Fans are high om him
Chuck Newhouse
Banned User

Post#4 » by Chuck Newhouse » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:40 pm

He rebounds really well too and he reminds me of Jim Breuer.
Chuck Newhouse
Banned User

Post#5 » by Chuck Newhouse » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:49 pm

His only real weakness seems to be his defensive speed. So I think of it this way...he can't be worse the Jose Calderon on defense and will likely be much better considering his height and build, plus he is just as good a passer, a better scorer, can get to the hole better and a way better rebounder than Calderon.

This guy is a sure fire NBA starter in my eyes with almost zero chance of being a bust.
Winglish
Analyst
And1: 1,302

Post#6 » by Winglish » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:06 pm

@chuck,

I also like Wolters, but speed is not his only weakness. Wolters has another pretty glaring weakness in his strength. He needs to hit the weights hard for a couple of years at least. Also, his shooting release is a forward release and not a high release. Combine that with already short arms and he's going to have a more difficult time getting his shot off in the NBA than he did in college. Wolters is Luke Ridnour, which in this draft is a great pick.
Chuck Newhouse
Banned User

Post#7 » by Chuck Newhouse » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:44 pm

Winglish wrote:@chuck,

I also like Wolters, but speed is not his only weakness. Wolters has another pretty glaring weakness in his strength. He needs to hit the weights hard for a couple of years at least. Also, his shooting release is a forward release and not a high release. Combine that with already short arms and he's going to have a more difficult time getting his shot off in the NBA than he did in college. Wolters is Luke Ridnour, which in this draft is a great pick.

I noticed his forward release too but he is tall and has one of the best step back moves I've ever seen, so that will make up for it a little. I don't see strength being an issue at all because of his position and the fact he looks pretty big too me.

Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,463

Post#8 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:57 pm

1. his strength is not a huge issue. he already weighs more than most PGs in this draft (with 5% body fat). he's got a good frame so he'll be able to add muscle mass, and he's a gym rat with great work ethic.

2. his low release point on his shot is being addressed already, and the reports are that in his private workouts there was already a noticeable difference and improvement in his shooting form, which was always consistent which is the most important thing. lillard also has a low release point and a flat shot.

3. his arms aren't that short. he still has an 8'2 reach, and even though you'd like to see a wingspan which is bigger than his height - it is still much better than some other prospects, like larkin and jackson among others.

4. his size and advanced handles will help him overcome some of the speed issues. just set the guy a pick and he'll be fine.

5. he's a better play-maker and facilitator than ridnour. he's a better rebounder and has better handles. even if he's a ridnour, he's a 6'5 ridnour. that's way better than the original ridnour. therefore, he's worth a 1st round pick.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Winglish
Analyst
And1: 1,302

Post#9 » by Winglish » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:03 pm

I worry about his core and lower body strength. Wolters has girly hips. I think the fact he sat out at the combine with a hip flexor is evidence of what I am saying. He got the bench press up 8 times, which is as good as Trey Burke, but not exactly world beating.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#10 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu May 18, 2017 6:32 am

Was thrilled with the Wizards when they drafted Ridnour....Errr, I mean Wolters. :)

Sent from my Moto G (4) using RealGM mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#11 » by doordoor123 » Thu May 18, 2017 1:26 pm

Nate Wolters is actually still pretty good. He's getting paid well. If he were to come back to the NBA he'd be a solid back up.

Return to NBA Draft