ImageImageImage

Something must be done: Is it time to make a move?

Moderator: HMFFL

Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Something must be done: Is it time to make a move? 

Post#1 » by Nemesis21 » Thu May 11, 2017 1:47 pm

I'm on board with ESPN's Dave Schoenfield, in early March he wrote an ESPN blog saying if the Braves want to win now, they must trade for Evan Longoria.

http://www.espn.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/77904/if-braves-want-to-win-they-must-trade-for-evan-longoria-right-now

The Braves are 11-20 currently and have lost 8 of their last 9 games. Their offense is pretty much Freeman and a little help from Kemp, Phillips and Markakis.

In another thread on here, some of you feel that Freeman's prime is currently being wasted. A trade like this, helps not waste it. Longoria provides Freeman protection(Kemp does too, but Kemp is hot then cold hot then cold) in the lineup and he give us another good hitter, who also brings power, also provides better defense at 3b than Garcia.

Here would be my offer,

P Sean Newcomb(Braves ranked 5), SS Ozzie Albies(Braves ranked 1) P Touki Toussaint(Braves ranked 11), their pick of P Wisler/Blair, 3b Rio Ruiz(Braves ranked 22) and OF Anfernee Seymour(Braves ranked 29) for 3b Evan Longoria, relief pitcher Erasmo Ramirez, prospect C Nick Ciuffo(Rays ranked 21) and prospect P Ryan Yarbrough(Rays ranked 24).

They have SS prospect Willy Adames(#18 in top 100 MLB list), so the don't necessarily need to command one of Swanson/Albies.

CF Inciarte
2b Phillips
1b Freeman
3b Longoria
LF Kemp
RF Markakis
SS Swanson
C Flowers/Suzuki

Bench

Garcia
Peterson
Bonifacio
Santana
Flowers/Suzuki

Teheran
Dickey
Garcia
Folty
Colon

E Ramirez, R Yarbrough and M Cabrera(just came of DL, getting some time in AAA) replace EOF, Krol and Collmenter in the pen.

Viz
E Ramirez
Yarbrough
J Ramirez
M Cabrera
Motte
Johnson

Would you trade for Evan Longoria?

EDITED
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Re: Something must be done: Is it time to make a move? 

Post#2 » by ATL Boy » Fri May 12, 2017 12:11 am

Longoria is signed long term and is a proven commodity. I don't think we'd be able to get him for anything short of Albies.

This season seems like it'll be a lost cause with how we've started, and the fact that no team will probably pull the trigger on a big trade until June or July anyway. We need to hope that Swanson figures his ish out, that the young guys deliver quickly and that we can hit some homeruns in free agency.

Firing Mcdowell was also a terrible move and we're paying for it right now.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#3 » by Nemesis21 » Fri May 12, 2017 12:40 am

ATL Boy wrote:Longoria is signed long term and is a proven commodity. I don't think we'd be able to get him for anything short of Albies.

This season seems like it'll be a lost cause with how we've started, and the fact that no team will probably pull the trigger on a big trade until June or July anyway. We need to hope that Swanson figures his ish out, that the young guys deliver quickly and that we can hit some homeruns in free agency.

Firing Mcdowell was also a terrible move and we're paying for it right now.

I would still do it, substitute Albies for one of Gohara/Toussaint.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#4 » by Ruzious » Fri May 12, 2017 8:47 pm

That's an interesting trade idea. I'm on board with including Newcomb (control issues bother me), but I'd really like to keep Albies. If they take Toussaint instead - do it. I like Wisler and Blair - and Seymour's lookiing good, but that's the price ya pay. Let's do it if we don't have to include Albies. Gohara's looking like a stud, but if we have to include him, let's do it.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#5 » by Nemesis21 » Fri May 12, 2017 9:21 pm

I would love to keep Albies too, but if that's what it takes to get done, then I'm on board. We still have Travis Demeritte to pair with Swanson if we lose Albies. He's our #9 ranked, .265/.341/.430/.770 3 HRs 16 RBI 14 BB 33 Ks in 121 AB in AA this season. Power numbers down from last year some, low strikeout numbers.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Ruzious » Sat May 13, 2017 2:13 pm

Demeriite is a tantalizing prospect - love middle infielders with power. He's got his SO rate down to an acceptible level - even though it's still high. That'll basically be what it comes down to.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#7 » by Nemesis21 » Sat May 13, 2017 2:35 pm

Hell I'm calling Tampa now then!
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Ruzious » Thu May 18, 2017 3:04 am

I'm guessing Donaldson's also going to be shopped for prospects - after the Braves crushed Toronto. Jays are in an awfully tough division and are already showing signs that they're not going to compete. Donaldson will be a free agent in 2019, so he should cost less than Longoria.

Braves are in 2nd place in the NL East.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#9 » by Nemesis21 » Thu May 18, 2017 3:16 pm

Oh, that's another option. I'd be good with either. My thinking on Longoria though is he would be here a little longer(both players would be an upgrade) and can be our 3b until Maitan is ready and also be a good mentor to Maitan. Longoria is signed thru 2023, Maitan projected to be ready by 2020-2021. Donaldson has been injured most of this early season, has 29 AB as opposed to Longoria's 164 AB. Longoria provides more solid defense, while Donaldson provides more speed on the bases. Longoria last 3 seasons 13, 9, 9 errors, Donaldson last 3 seasons 23, 18, 14 errors.
Both Longoria and Donaldson will be 32 after this season, having to pony up less for one of them is intriguing though.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Ruzious » Thu May 18, 2017 11:06 pm

Agreed - I'd rather have Longoria - that contract would fit well. Btw, don't rule out Austin Riley at 3B in 2 years - if he can cut down on the strikeouts. He's got a lot of power potential.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,356

Post#11 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:46 pm

So, fellas, are we buyers or sellers at the trade deadline this year?

We've flirted with .500 for a few weeks. But still have a ways to get to playoff contention. Is it worth selling off some youth for a win now vet in the rotation?

Or should we move a vet for yet another young piece?

Read on Twitter
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#12 » by Nemesis21 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:10 pm

Both buyers and sellers. The Braves are looking for a contract controlled starting pitcher, IE Archer/Gray.

Looks like Tampa will hold on to Archer(for now). I'd trade for Gray. Then trade Garcia and Teheran for prospects. I believe Dickey and Phillips will stay around, but both could be traded. Matt Adams is a toss up, capitalize on his high value, or keep the offense together? Kemp, Markakis and Jim Johnson could also be traded.

Return to Atlanta Braves