Another coach leaving?

Moderator: THE J0KER

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Another coach leaving? 

Post#1 » by NuggetsWY » Sat May 20, 2017 1:38 am

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/245992/Pelicans-Close-To-Hiring-Chris-Finch-As-Assistant-Coach
Last year we lost multiple coaches - looks like the first one to leave this year might be gone.
Time to ask again? Why are the Nuggets losing coaches? Isn't this 4 since Malone took over?
Surely it isn't because the Nuggets have such a great record or reputation (like San Antonio's constant parade of coaches).
SoCalNuggsFan
Senior
And1: 440

Re: Another coach leaving? 

Post#2 » by SoCalNuggsFan » Sat May 20, 2017 4:09 am

I think as the main offensive assistant coach, he had some clout around the league. It's like in the NFL, if you have the best offense in the league, some bad team is gonna try to hire your offensive coordinator out from under you in the hopes that he can turn around their offense. Can't blame a team with 2 elite bigs for going hard after an assistant who at least had part in an elite offense ran thru a big.

He'll probably be next in line if their coach gets fired midseason after a bad start. Gotta assume that Malone gets a full season, and if he's fired next season, they'll probably go after a bigger name that could be attracted to coaching Jokic.

From the outside, it seems like a career move for finch, but who knows what's going on behind the scenes.
U hova
Pro Prospect
And1: 481

Post#3 » by U hova » Sat May 20, 2017 9:19 am

Knowing absolutely nothing I'm going to throw out the idea that the Nugget's are simply getting outbid.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,253

Post#4 » by skywalker33 » Sun May 21, 2017 5:58 am

SoCalNuggsFan wrote:I think as the main offensive assistant coach, he had some clout around the league. It's like in the NFL, if you have the best offense in the league, some bad team is gonna try to hire your offensive coordinator out from under you in the hopes that he can turn around their offense. Can't blame a team with 2 elite bigs for going hard after an assistant who at least had part in an elite offense ran thru a big.

He'll probably be next in line if their coach gets fired midseason after a bad start. Gotta assume that Malone gets a full season, and if he's fired next season, they'll probably go after a bigger name that could be attracted to coaching Jokic.

From the outside, it seems like a career move for finch, but who knows what's going on behind the scenes.

Acknowledging that point, Alvin Gentry seems to be on the hotseat EVERY year, so Finch may have a very good opportunity to at least become an interim HC there...although he may have passed up the same chance here
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,253

Post#5 » by skywalker33 » Wed May 24, 2017 4:49 pm

Maybe Mike Miller takes a step up to the next level
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by NuggetsWY » Wed May 24, 2017 5:05 pm

U hova wrote:Knowing absolutely nothing I'm going to throw out the idea that the Nugget's are simply getting outbid.

Don't most coaches sign a multi-year contract? He was only here one year and if he had a multi-year contract, that means the Nuggets let him leave.

I can't figure out if coaches don't like Malone or the front office.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by NuggetsWY » Wed May 24, 2017 5:07 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
SoCalNuggsFan wrote:I think as the main offensive assistant coach, he had some clout around the league. It's like in the NFL, if you have the best offense in the league, some bad team is gonna try to hire your offensive coordinator out from under you in the hopes that he can turn around their offense. Can't blame a team with 2 elite bigs for going hard after an assistant who at least had part in an elite offense ran thru a big.

Acknowledging that point, Alvin Gentry seems to be on the hotseat EVERY year, so Finch may have a very good opportunity to at least become an interim HC there...although he may have passed up the same chance here

Yeah, it's just strange how many coaches have left. Going back to SoCalNuggsFan comment above, it seems like leaving Denver is always a "career move". :banghead:
Powder Blue
Analyst
And1: 642

Post#8 » by Powder Blue » Wed May 24, 2017 11:57 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:

Yeah, it's just strange how many coaches have left. Going back to SoCalNuggsFan comment above, it seems like leaving Denver is always a "career move". :banghead:

Worked out well for Iggy, JR, Birdman, Movgov, McGee...
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by NuggetsWY » Thu May 25, 2017 12:07 am

Powder Blue wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:

Worked out well for Iggy, JR, Birdman, Movgov, McGee...

Not so great for JR until he left NY and hooked up with LeBron.
Mosgov had one good year after leaving Denver.
McGee wasn't doing much until GSW.
BTW - none of them are coaches and that's what this was actually discussing.

Return to Denver Nuggets