Boycott the Orioles Until Angelos Sells

Moderator: Rafael122

jmrosenth
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 108

Boycott the Orioles Until Angelos Sells 

Post#1 » by jmrosenth » Thu Apr 5, 2007 5:35 pm

It's amazing that this guy hasn't received more mainstream attention for destroying a once proud franchise.

For me personally, I've had enough. I stopped supporting the O's a few years ago -- don't watch them on TV or pay for tickets. Btwn running good baseball minds and tv/radio guys out of town, bad free agent signings, meddling in every team affair, nixing trades/signings at the last minute, trying to keep the Nats out of DC and off TV, etc.

And it's not like this guy is Donald Sterling and just cheap. He's one of the richest owners in baseball. But he decided to sit on his fortune and just spend enough every year to look like the O's were trying to be competitive, when reality was very far from that.

This guy doesn't deserve the O's or our loyalty.

Free the Birds!!!
[quote:6312c12ed1="imperium1999"]
i had had two martinis at this point so i asked her if he every shouted DAGGER in the bedroom with her.

she looked at me kinda strangely and said she had no idea what DAGGER meant.
[/quote]
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#2 » by miller31time » Thu Apr 5, 2007 6:22 pm

My brother says the same thing. He is a huge O's fan, but refuses to go to games and rarely watches them on T.V. I think he even went to one of those marches fans had to piss off Angelos.

I don't go to many games anyway, but I can definitely understand why fans would turn on the owner.
Scabs304
General Manager
And1: 38

Post#3 » by Scabs304 » Thu Apr 5, 2007 9:57 pm

I'm down although I'll still follow the team although it's not like I was a huge supporter before just the occassional apparel purchase. Although if they come out with an all Orange New Era it will be hard not to buy.
I am Scabs.
timmay27
Senior
And1: 0

Post#4 » by timmay27 » Mon Apr 9, 2007 8:10 am

.... which leads me to a double standard I've noticed around here. Dan Snyder is pretty much as bad as Angelos (spending enough every year to look competetive, meddling, nasty to coworkers, etc) yet, many more people have abandoned the Orioles and than the Redskins. Why?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,025

Post#5 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:36 am

I've seen him run off quality minds like crazy since he's been here, and seen a once great franchise descend to the depths of mediocrity and crap-pity (yeah, it's enough of a drop it deserves a new word). The guy just doesn't have a baseball mind, and if I really had any financial impact on the Orioles, I would re-think it. However, it's not even possible for me to give any less money at all to Angelos.
Ed Wood
Sixth Man
And1: 262

Post#6 » by Ed Wood » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:16 am

Speaking of which without actually mentioning the issue at all we really aught to manufacture some kind of intense rivalry between the Nationals and Orioles boards, if for nothing else but for the attention we all secretly covet.

As for Angelos he is the arch-villain in my professional baseball pantheon. His nefarious schemes have for too long blanketed the Baltimore Washington metropolitan area with uninspired directionless tomfoolery to the point where what might might turn out to be the worst baseball team ever is a fountain of hope and joy by comparison.
[size=0]
If the Orioles had a mother she'd probably have started pretending that he was really the Blue Jays by now.[/size]
-Ed
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,761

Post#7 » by Rafael122 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:23 am

timmay27 wrote:.... which leads me to a double standard I've noticed around here. Dan Snyder is pretty much as bad as Angelos (spending enough every year to look competetive, meddling, nasty to coworkers, etc) yet, many more people have abandoned the Orioles and than the Redskins. Why?

Because as much **** Snyder gets, he does his damn best to put a competitive team on the field. There is no limit to his spending, and as a fan, I respect that from him. I'd rather have an owner who opens his pockets and tries to field a winning team than an owner who spends 3 weeks pondering a trade.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
timmay27
Senior

Post#8 » by timmay27 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:17 am

^^ that is the myth that goes around like wildfire, that Snyder spends whatever it takes to win - when in fact, every year the Redskins payroll has actually been around the league average. The big acquisition he makes every offseason just portrays him as a no-limit spender.

Angelos does the same damn thing. These two are much more alike than people want to admit.

My theory is that baseball is just too boring/frustrating for fans of losing teams due to the payroll disparity between small/big market teams, so it is easier to boycott or whatever. With football there is so much parity that the fans are much more willing to forgive the owner/FO because they think they always have a chance regardless of what happens in the offseason.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#9 » by miller31time » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:25 am

Ed Wood wrote:Speaking of which without actually mentioning the issue at all we really aught to manufacture some kind of intense rivalry between the Nationals and Orioles boards, if for nothing else but for the attention we all secretly covet.

If the Nationals were to have a mother, I'd most certainly call her fat.

Rebuttal?
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#10 » by Rafael122 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:24 pm

timmay27 wrote:^^ that is the myth that goes around like wildfire, that Snyder spends whatever it takes to win - when in fact, every year the Redskins payroll has actually been around the league average. The big acquisition he makes every offseason just portrays him as a no-limit spender.

Angelos does the same damn thing. These two are much more alike than people want to admit.

My theory is that baseball is just too boring/frustrating for fans of losing teams due to the payroll disparity between small/big market teams, so it is easier to boycott or whatever. With football there is so much parity that the fans are much more willing to forgive the owner/FO because they think they always have a chance regardless of what happens in the offseason.

You do have to remember though that NFL contracts are structured differently than baseball contracts. For one, the signing bonus is just guaranteed while MLB contracts are fully guaranteed. I think it says more about how good our cap guy is for the Redskins.
jmrosenth
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by jmrosenth » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:15 pm

timmay27 wrote:^^ that is the myth that goes around like wildfire, that Snyder spends whatever it takes to win - when in fact, every year the Redskins payroll has actually been around the league average. The big acquisition he makes every offseason just portrays him as a no-limit spender.

Honestly, you couldn't be more dead wrong. Just about every sentence you've written is incorrect.

The league payrolls for the NFL are much much much much MORE even than it is for baseball. The difference btwn the highest and lowest payroll in the NFL is ridiculously lower than that of the MLB. And of course that doesn't take into account front office spending on coaching. Snyder always goes out and spends a crapload on coaches while we've had series of retreads and nobodies here managing the O's. Are you seriously going to sit here and argue that Angelos is as dedicated to winning as Snyder? Seriously? NFL players actually want to play for the Redskins. It's gotten to the point that Angelos can't even compete in free agency because players don't want to play for the Orioles. Word is out on poorly run things are.

Plus, Angelos has so much more money than Snyder it's not even funny.

I'm still following the Nationals, so your "theory" is dead wrong.

i had had two martinis at this point so i asked her if he every shouted DAGGER in the bedroom with her.

[/quote]
timmay27
Senior

Post#12 » by timmay27 » Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:19 pm

I'm sure Snyder prefers to win, any owner does. The correlation lies in that, like Angelos, Snyder has other loftier intentions than winning. The AA signing really hammers this point home. I'm curious how many scouts were consulted by Snyder and his immediate circle of FO puppets before signing that guy. Hell, all he had to do was go to a Rams message board to know he was overrated. Obviously, AA's skill level, or usefulness within the defensive philosophy, wasn't Snyder's main focus. If you don't agree, I'd love to hear what exactly you believe Snyder was thinking.

If you argue that Snyder doesn't have direct influence on this and years of neglect of the draft by the FO, then there isn't much else to say here. His track record just tells it like it is - he loves media coverage, so much so that he's willing to take big gambles that make little sense in regards to any real plans of producing a winner. Money & appealing to season ticket white collar yuppies that don't know any better >>> winning > losing is Snyder's mindset.
jmrosenth
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by jmrosenth » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:43 pm

Funny, I thought this thread was about Angelos, not Snyder...but OK.

timmay27 wrote:I'm sure Snyder prefers to win, any owner does. The correlation lies in that, like Angelos, Snyder has other loftier intentions than winning. The AA signing really hammers this point home. I'm curious how many scouts were consulted by Snyder and his immediate circle of FO puppets before signing that guy. Hell, all he had to do was go to a Rams message board to know he was overrated. Obviously, AA's skill level, or usefulness within the defensive philosophy, wasn't Snyder's main focus. If you don't agree, I'd love to hear what exactly you believe Snyder was thinking.

AA was a guy that Gregg Williams and Joe Gibbs coveted from the start of the free agency. Snyder went along with it and made it happen. It was a coaches decision more than anything. Was it a good decision? No. But after resigning Gregg Williams to a big extension and making him "Associate head coach" or whatever, I have to think that Snyder trusted Williams judgment.

If you argue that Snyder doesn't have direct influence on this and years of neglect of the draft by the FO, then there isn't much else to say here. His track record just tells it like it is - he loves media coverage, so much so that he's willing to take big gambles that make little sense in regards to any real plans of producing a winner. Money & appealing to season ticket white collar yuppies that don't know any better >>> winning > losing is Snyder's mindset.

Snyder has a huge influence on front office decisions...there's no doubt about it. They definitely have a dysfunctional FO, no question. But do I think that he's more concerned about making a buck than building a winner? Hell no. Sure, he's a businessman, and he's going to improve his business and want to make cash. He paid $800 mill for the team for goodness sake. But you're on crack if you think making splashy signings and turning a profit is more important to him than winning. Yes, Snyder likes to make headlines, but so do a lot of owners that have Super Bowl rings: Jerry Jones and Al Davis come to mind. And most of them those headlines are made because he believes they will improve the team. Not to be the lead story on SportsCenter.

But getting back to Angelos, and please try to remain on topic here, he hasn't shown any inclination to truly care about winning here. Go back and see my laundry list from the first page. And think about them. And try not to instill Danny Snyder back into the conversation.

And while I'm here, it's good to see the team playing well. Markakis looks like he's going to be a stud. And I like what I've seen from Cabrera this season. Now if Angelos goes out and spends his money and brings in a frontline starter and another bat, and stops vetoing good trades at the last minute we might have something.

and btw....man, would it would be nice to have John Maine back. Not sure what the thinking was with that trade. Orioles love their mediocre pitchers I guess.

[/quote]
HDMAVS760CA
Senior
And1: 22

Re: Boycott the Orioles Until Angelos Sells 

Post#14 » by HDMAVS760CA » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:33 am

jmrosenth wrote:It's amazing that this guy hasn't received more mainstream attention for destroying a once proud franchise.

And it's not like this guy is Donald Sterling and just cheap. He's one of the richest owners in baseball. But he decided to sit on his fortune and just spend enough every year to look like the O's were trying to be competitive, when reality was very far from that.

I'm from SoCal & there is actually a owner here that is worse than Sterling. And its the Kings owner Phillip Anschutz. Fool's a billionaire but he be acting like he's broke as a joke when it comes to the Kings. When there was no cap, they coulda tooken advantage & get enuff players 2 win a cup, they used the NY Rangers as an excuse 4 not wanting 2 get the right free agents that woulda helped them win the cup. Won't spend money on the NHL team, but would spend a whole lot on multiple soccer teams, even spent a whole bunch on Beckham.

That's a good way 2 get even with the Orioles...stay home, do something else with your time & money and make a difference. Payback can cost nothing. Just don't jump on the Yankees bandwagon. There's enuff of them at Oriole games on highlights & people from B.more that wear their gear. Even on tv shows that is supposed to be based at B.more that wear their gear too.
jmrosenth
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by jmrosenth » Thu Apr 3, 2008 12:58 pm

Smallest crowd in Camden Yards history last night. I hope you're happy Peter Angelos...counting your millions while you've completely ruined the Orioles franchise.

[/quote]
MaxwellSmart
Head Coach
And1: 2,098

Post#16 » by MaxwellSmart » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:41 pm

I stopped caring a few years ago...and I was the most diehard O's fan..Since I was a kid in the late 60's...Angelos has RUINED this franchise, The Orioles were always contenders until he started his George Steinbrenner act ...It all started when he fired Davey Johnson....or should we blame Jeffrey Maier..?
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#17 » by Rafael122 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:36 pm

There's word McPhail isn't coming back. I think whoever is hired as GM...this is a move that will determine how the Orioles are run as a franchise for the next 5 years. None of their prospects have panned out, it seems like as soon as they make the jump from AAA to the big leagues, something happens, loss in velocity, etc etc. They need to go after a Brian Cashman type and see what he can do.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,298

Post#18 » by dobrojim » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:50 pm

I've long felt the worst move Angelos made was not renewing Jon Miller.
Even if the team was abysmal, you could always enjoy listening to a ballgame
if Miller was behind the mic. Firing him for not being enough of a homer was
stupid heaped upon stupid.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities

Return to Baltimore Orioles