ImageImageImageImageImage

2019 Draft Prospect Watch Thread

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

shakendfries
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,063

2019 Draft Prospect Watch Thread 

Post#1 » by shakendfries » Sun May 21, 2017 3:41 pm

Lebron's dominance of the Eastern Conference has convinced quite a few members of this board that being a "competitive" team is relatively pointless. The strongest teams in the conference have been annihilated and the EC was essentially an 82-game extended warm-up for Bron's next trip to the NBA finals.

For a team like the Nets, watching the No1 pick go to Boston was painful, and while every draft is 'hyped' there doesn't immediately appear to be any immediate generational superstar the way Bron, Duncan, Shaq, & Anthony Davis were when they were drafted. As a Nets fan, it's painful knowing that the team doesn't control the fate of their draft pick until 2019, but I was recently put on to one prospect in that class that truly appears to have "generational talent" potential

Zion Williamson is a 6'8", 16 year old small forward from Spartanburg, South Carolina. At this point, you've likely been paying attention to the fact that we have posted raw highlights from almost all of Zion's high school games this season. You might ask yourself, why? Zion Williamson averaged 36.8 ppg & 13 rpg to go along with 3.2 apg, 3 spg and 2.5 blocks... ridiculous. His team faced the likes of Jalek Felton (UNC), Juwan Gary (Top 30 in 2019), Bryce Schneider (Richmond) and led his team to a 26-9 record which included a SCISA 2A State Championship. He broke the Chick-Fil-A Classic single game scoring record by dropping 53 points while only missing THREE SHOTS! Oh, by the way, he also scored 51 in the state championship game. He is currently ranked the number 2 player in the class of 2018 (current 11th graders) and will be looking to push for that number 1 spot this summer on the adidas circuit. Zion was featured as the number 1 play on ESPN's Sportscenter three times this season and played in front of sell out crowds on a nightly basis.

ImageImage

"Kevin Durant is not coming to the Nets. If I'm wrong, I will change my avatar to anything you request no matter how humiliating it is." - MrDollarBills, 10/22/18
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Re: [2019 Draft Prospect] Zion Williamson 

Post#2 » by Prokorov » Mon May 22, 2017 12:31 pm

i dont want to tank to get williamson. for one, tanking for a guy is nearly impossible since there are always 4-5 other guys trying to tank, and if you finish withthe worst record there is still a 75% chance you DONT pick number one... then there is a chance they guy wont stay in the draft.

Also, are we throwing away 2 seasons of development and growing a culture of hard work and competitiveness.... only to tell guys we need to tank?
shakendfries
Assistant Coach

Post#3 » by shakendfries » Mon May 22, 2017 12:49 pm

Prokorov wrote:i dont want to tank to get williamson. for one, tanking for a guy is nearly impossible since there are always 4-5 other guys trying to tank, and if you finish withthe worst record there is still a 75% chance you DONT pick number one... then there is a chance they guy wont stay in the draft.

Also, are we throwing away 2 seasons of development and growing a culture of hard work and competitiveness.... only to tell guys we need to tank?

I'm not suggesting the Nets should punt 2 seasons to 'maybe' get this kid. But let's say all the development and positivity in the world gets the Nets only 35 wins next season. Are you telling me Marks shouldn't consider trading their aged assets in the 18'-19' for a chance to land a potential generational talent?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
ImageImage

"Kevin Durant is not coming to the Nets. If I'm wrong, I will change my avatar to anything you request no matter how humiliating it is." - MrDollarBills, 10/22/18
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 35,826

Post#4 » by MrDollarBills » Mon May 22, 2017 12:54 pm

I think it's a fool's gambit to plan things around trying to land someone in the lottery 2 years from now.

if the Nets somehow tank in 2019, what are the odds they end up with the 1st pick? NEXT to NONE.

We know how this works. Last time we had control of our pick in that position John Wall went to the Wizards.

Honestly, I need to see this kid play on the NCAA level before I lose my mind over him. He's basically overpowering kids in high school, that doesn't impress me.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#5 » by MrDollarBills » Mon May 22, 2017 12:59 pm

shakendfries wrote:
Prokorov wrote:i dont want to tank to get williamson. for one, tanking for a guy is nearly impossible since there are always 4-5 other guys trying to tank, and if you finish withthe worst record there is still a 75% chance you DONT pick number one... then there is a chance they guy wont stay in the draft.

I'm not suggesting the Nets should punt 2 seasons to 'maybe' get this kid. But let's say all the development and positivity in the world gets the Nets only 35 wins next season. Are you telling me Marks shouldn't consider trading their aged assets in the 18'-19' for a chance to land a potential generational talent?

If the Nets win 35 games next season that's a serious improvement, and better reason for them to stay the course because it would mean that the young guys all improved and at least one of the picks we had this year hit paydirt.

You only want to have one season like this during a rebuild. We can't play this game where we win 20 games, 34 games, and then make backtracking moves to try to win 20 games again to draft some kid.

The Nets front office will lose the faith of every player immediately if they pull that stunt. And if it doesn't work, now you've got maybe the 3rd best prospect on the board (like what happened to us a few years ago) and you're right back to square one with a roster full of guys that have lost faith in the process.

not worth it.

shakendfries
Assistant Coach

Post#6 » by shakendfries » Mon May 22, 2017 12:59 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:I think it's a fool's gambit to plan things around trying to land someone in the lottery 2 years from now.

if the Nets somehow tank in 2019, what are the odds they end up with the 1st pick? NEXT to NONE.

We know how this works. Last time we had control of our pick in that position John Wall went to the Wizards.

Honestly, I need to see this kid play on the NCAA level before I lose my mind over him. He's basically overpowering kids in high school, that doesn't impress me.

Scouting Report

ImageImage

Prokorov
RealGM

Post#7 » by Prokorov » Mon May 22, 2017 1:17 pm

shakendfries wrote:

i guess i was confused on what you were saying... i thought you mean we shoudl tank in 18-19 in order to try and draft zion in 2019.

are you saying trade the farm/assets for a chance to draft him? if so id be ok with that... issue is our assets combined probably dont get us a top 3 pick, and i cant imagine they get us #1 when that team would want zion for themselves right?
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#8 » by MrDollarBills » Mon May 22, 2017 1:17 pm

I think he's a specimen for sure. but it's really not that impressive to me because it seems like he's just overpowering everyone (which he should since he's got an NBA frame versus guys who are still physically kids). if he's kicking the crap out of D1 dudes like this next year then sure.

shakendfries
Assistant Coach

Post#9 » by shakendfries » Mon May 22, 2017 1:33 pm

Prokorov wrote:
shakendfries wrote:

i guess i was confused on what you were saying... i thought you mean we shoudl tank in 18-19 in order to try and draft zion in 2019.

are you saying trade the farm/assets for a chance to draft him? if so id be ok with that... issue is our assets combined probably dont get us a top 3 pick, and i cant imagine they get us #1 when that team would want zion for themselves right?

Keep the farm (Whitehead & LeVert) but trade the aged & valuable assets to a team trying to win now (whether it's trading Lin or Lopez for picks, perhaps even packaging Goodwin to move up).

Whatever moves can help the FO stack the deck with picks to package & move up, or even to get the most out of their own draft pick.

ImageImage

Prokorov
RealGM

Post#10 » by Prokorov » Mon May 22, 2017 1:42 pm

shakendfries wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
shakendfries wrote:

Keep the farm (Whitehead & LeVert) but trade the aged & valuable assets to a team trying to win now (whether it's trading Lin or Lopez for picks, perhaps even packaging Goodwin to move up).

Whatever moves can help the FO stack the deck with picks to package & move up, or even to get the most out of their own draft pick.

Lopez isnt getting you the number one pick.... even in the best case scenario your seeing top 5 protection on a pick for lopez. Lin gets you less then that. there is no package that is getting us an unprotected first from a bad team. And if we just stock up on assets and wait until 2019, no one is dealing the #1 pick that year, they are taking zion for themselves.

Now, i dont necessarily disagree with trading lopez and or lin. id prefer to keep lin since i dont think we would get much and he provides leadership and is part of the cutlure. but if lopez can get us a first and maybe a young player, id do that along with using our cap space to aquire more picks

what kinds of trades to get the 2019 #1 pick did you have in mind?

to be honest, we would really have to luck into it. like trade lopez for a top 7 protected 2019 pick... have that team finsih in the 9 slot, then beat the odds and win the lottery picking 1 instead of 9

as a nets fan for life, i can tell you we wont be that lucky :D
shakendfries
Assistant Coach

Post#11 » by shakendfries » Mon May 22, 2017 1:53 pm

Prokorov wrote:
shakendfries wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

Lopez isnt getting you the number one pick.... even in the best case scenario your seeing top 5 protection on a pick for lopez. Lin gets you less then that. there is no package that is getting us an unprotected first from a bad team. And if we just stock up on assets and wait until 2019, no one is dealing the #1 pick that year, they are taking zion for themselves.

Now, i dont necessarily disagree with trading lopez and or lin. id prefer to keep lin since i dont think we would get much and he provides leadership and is part of the cutlure. but if lopez can get us a first and maybe a young player, id do that.

Trading Lopez & Lin in 18-19 to a win now team would purely be for tanking purposes (worse in the short term for a better pick). Goodwin (if he develops nicely) could potentially be packaged to move up.

I'm weighing the merits of taking a 1/3 shot at landing a generational talent as opposed to a 35 win, or 1st round sweep alternative.

Maybe the alternative puts the Nets in a position to trade for an undervalued superstar and could add value to a Lin & Lopez core?

ImageImage

Prokorov
RealGM

Post#12 » by Prokorov » Mon May 22, 2017 2:07 pm

shakendfries wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
shakendfries wrote:

Now, i dont necessarily disagree with trading lopez and or lin. id prefer to keep lin since i dont think we would get much and he provides leadership and is part of the cutlure. but if lopez can get us a first and maybe a young player, id do that.

Trading Lopez & Lin in 18-19 to a win now team would purely be for tanking purposes (worse in the short term for a better pick). Goodwin (if he develops nicely) could potentially be packaged to move up.

I'm weighing the merits of taking a 1/3 shot at landing a generational talent as opposed to a 35 win, or 1st round sweep alternative.

Maybe the alternative puts the Nets in a position to trade for an undervalued superstar and could add value to a Lin & Lopez core?

yeah... so this goes back to my first response. im 100000% against tanking. first the offs of getting the #1 pick using your plan are much lower then 1/3. if you finish with the worst record its just a 24.8% chance you get the first pick... then you have to factor you out tank all the other teams which reduces those odds even further.

i dont need to win 35 games, and honestly im not sure we win more then 30 if we keep lin/lopez.... but with more development from levert/rhj and this years rookies im not sure we have the worst record in 17-18 anyhow... i think you would activll need to try and lose games. we would be an insanely athletic teamt that plays hard and defends well if you move lopez. that alone is worth 25ish wins and maybe a 3rd-4th worst record.

i think it was be easier to do if zion was inthe 2018 draft... cause i can see us trading lopez/;in this year and being bad enough next year. but not 18-19.

you have to keep in mind, EVERY bad team is going super tank in 18-19 for a shot at zion. we wont out tank them unless we actively try and lose, which would undermine the culture and still almost a gaurantee you dont get him.

that all assumes he pans out as a star as well
spaceballer
Head Coach
And1: 2,707

Post#13 » by spaceballer » Tue May 23, 2017 2:47 am

Prokorov wrote:
shakendfries wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

Now, i dont necessarily disagree with trading lopez and or lin. id prefer to keep lin since i dont think we would get much and he provides leadership and is part of the cutlure. but if lopez can get us a first and maybe a young player, id do that along with using our cap space to aquire more picks

what kinds of trades to get the 2019 #1 pick did you have in mind?

to be honest, we would really have to luck into it. like trade lopez for a top 7 protected 2019 pick... have that team finsih in the 9 slot, then beat the odds and win the lottery picking 1 instead of 9

as a nets fan for life, i can tell you we wont be that lucky :D

Can't get the #1 pick that way, no matter how lucky. Picks convey after the lottery. So if the pick is top 7 protected, ends up 9th pre-lottery, and wins the lottery at #1, then the pick does not convey, since it was top 7 protected and #1 is in the 1-7 protected range.
jbeachboy
Assistant Coach
And1: 359

Post#14 » by jbeachboy » Tue May 23, 2017 5:37 pm

were the nets, we dont get number one picks anymore when were supposed to.
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#15 » by kamaze » Tue May 23, 2017 6:44 pm

The one year the Nets pick is #1 it goes to Boston :lol: I'm glad we have a good front office in place.
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
shakendfries
Assistant Coach

[2019 Draft Prospect] Zion Williamson 

Post#16 » by shakendfries » Wed May 24, 2017 1:36 pm

“The goal is not be mediocre in 2017-18, the goal is to be the goal is to build a team that they believe can really compete in 2019-20. And that means being shrewd and coming up with a roster that they have a belief in. Young athletic versatile roster.

“So what you just mentioned, Otto Porter, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, and Geoge Hill, who will be available for big money, you might be able to outbid teams even their own.

“I don’t know if Ernie Grunfeld right now would match a max deal for Otto Porter. I don’t know if Stan Van Gundy would match a max deal for Kentavious Caldwell-Pope. But you cant offer those just to give you credibility, you have to believe that these guys re part of the core moving forward not just in 2017-18, but in 2019-20, 2020-21, 2021-22 when this team believes it is finally going to clear the smoke and have a team they can really say that they built, they created.”

Short term, things are still a work-in-progress, but he remains unsure just how good the Nets would have been with a healthy Jeremy Lin.

“Look, there's no doubt if Jeremy Lin was healthy, there's no doubt this team would have had more wins. How many more wins, I don't know. It wouldn't have been the 20 wins they finished up with.”

Ian Eagle

the goal is to be the goal is to build a team that they believe can really compete in 2019-20

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
ImageImage

Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

[2019 Draft Prospect] Zion Williamson 

Post#17 » by Paradise » Wed May 24, 2017 2:41 pm

Imagine a core of LeVert / Diallo/ Zion. Lob City Brooklyn in 2019.

shakendfries
Assistant Coach

Re: 2019 Draft Prospect Watch Thread 

Post#18 » by shakendfries » Thu Jun 8, 2017 4:56 pm

Paradise wrote:
twosevenstreet wrote:
Process wrote:What's everyone's thoughts on 2018 draft? Personally I don't mind if we don't have a first round pick, if we're trading for future picks I'd rather 2019.

For one, an 18 pick wouldn't help us next year, chances are we probably improve next season as well

From there, if we don't improve again, we have our own pick plus any we've traded for in the 19 draft and can have a real go at rebuilding through the draft if the guys we have now/this draft don't develop by then

The reason I want a pick in next year's draft:
http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/adam-silver-changes-stance-on-age-limit-rule-and-thats-bad-news-for-college-hoops/

Marvin Bagley III and Zion Williamson could very well be in next year's draft, pushing down some players into the mid teens range (i expect POR's pick to be in that range if we complete the trade I proposed above) perhaps netting us someone like MSU's Bridges.

Those two are headlining the 2019 draft. The league won't change the age rule that quickly until the G-League shows to be an improved concept.

MrDollarBills wrote:Ah that's his name, Marvin Bagley. I was trying to remember the kid with the mini fro.

Now THAT kid? I think he's a better prospect than Williamson. Super super skilled from the tape I've seen. Williamson seemed to be just overpowering dudes, Bagley III was taking a dump on those kids with legit guard skill abilities.

ImageImage

twosevenstreet
Senior
And1: 168

Post#19 » by twosevenstreet » Thu Jun 8, 2017 5:54 pm

Bagley looks like a mix between a poor man's KD and chris Bosh
Spread Em and Dead em.
-Sad DLO is gone
-Allen will become LobCity DJ
-Kyrie will be top 3 for MVP if we get to 50+ wins, he will average 27ppg, 7apg, shooting 50-40-90
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#20 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Jun 8, 2017 7:10 pm

I just don't see the point of getting gassed about high schoolers.

I stand by what I said about Bagley III but even still, I need to see him play versus 19, 20, 21 year olds before I can lose my mind over the idea of the Nets tanking to land someone based on what amounts to pick up game highlight tapes versus dudes whose voices just changed a week ago.

I think we need to stay the course, let the chips fall where they may.

Return to Brooklyn Nets