ImageImageImageImageImage

Kevin Pillar suspended 2 days

Moderator: JaysRule15

North_of_Border
Pro Prospect
And1: 369

Kevin Pillar suspended 2 days 

Post#1 » by North_of_Border » Thu May 18, 2017 11:20 pm

He made a homophobic slur at the Atlanta pitcher. You can guess what he said. Obviously a stupid move. And he apologized today. I truly don't think he is a bad guy. Just a heated moment that went too far. This is nothing like the Yunel Escobar thing.

Anyway. Jays suspended him for 2 days. Kinda smart of the Jays, because if no action was taken, then the MLB would suspended him, likely longer.

Pillar's trade value just took a hit. Might cost the team. Also sucks for him, as he was endorsing a lot of companies. Might cost him there.

Opinions?
Natural11
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,760

Re: Kevin Pillar suspended 2 days 

Post#2 » by Natural11 » Fri May 19, 2017 12:12 am

It will blow over. Just a stupid decision that he will pay for in the short term. In the grand scheme of things, many people do far dumber things every day.

All of us have said some **** we later regretted. Pillar did it while at work, so he had to pay for it.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,498

Post#3 » by dagger » Fri May 19, 2017 2:17 pm

It's appropriate, and he should make contact with his fans in the LBTG community - apparently, he has a lot of followers there. But it offends me that everyone is offended by this slur but ignores the fact it happened in a stadium which ridicules native Americans - chief Nokahoma (seriously?) and where fans wave their arms in the "tomahawk chop" (seriously?). And don't get me started on the Indians' racist logo or even the team name.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,797

Post#4 » by Duffman100 » Fri May 19, 2017 3:11 pm

Yup, had to be suspended.

Sorry, you just can't say that word. Just because you aren't homophobic doesn't mean the word itself is irrelevant. It means a lot to a certain community.
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,212

Post#5 » by LLJ » Fri May 19, 2017 4:28 pm

He said a dumb thing in public and is being punished appropriately by it.There have been a couple of articles in the press wanting more blood or for him to fall on his sword further, or how Pillar was a hero to some writer's kids and now he's been ruined, etc, but I don't think this hurts his trade value much in the U.S. Or at least, I hope the Jays aren't thinking he's been devalued if they want to trade him later. I expect they should be looking for the same value as they did prior to this event.
So_Fresh
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,450

Post#6 » by So_Fresh » Fri May 19, 2017 4:36 pm

Let this be a lesson.

Wonder if this will have any implications on whether he gets voted into the All Star game.
Raps_Swingman
Analyst
And1: 211

Post#7 » by Raps_Swingman » Fri May 19, 2017 4:54 pm

LLJ wrote:He said a dumb thing in public and is being punished appropriately by it.There have been a couple of articles in the press wanting more blood or for him to fall on his sword further, or how Pillar was a hero to some writer's kids and now he's been ruined, etc, but I don't think this hurts his trade value much in the U.S. Or at least, I hope the Jays aren't thinking he's been devalued if they want to trade him later. I expect they should be looking for the same value as they did prior to this event.

The hero to zero thing is pure fake outrage and it drives me nuts. He made an inappropriate comment while he was pissed off, owned up to it and was punished for it, as he should have been. Pillar was raised Jewish so I'm sure he's suffered his fair share of derogatory comments in his day and understands the need to remove this type of behaviour from the game.

Last time I checked no one, not even writers, are perfect, but they'll posture this way to get Retweets and Favourites on Twitter, heck maybe even a few more followers. See Bruce Arthur...

What should be celebrated here is how the Blue Jays handled this situation, I'm not so sure all teams would've done the same....
That's what she said.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,611

Post#8 » by Fairview4Life » Fri May 19, 2017 5:20 pm

There has actually been very little outrage about this, probably due to Pillar's good response.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
johanliebert
General Manager
And1: 5,665

Post#9 » by johanliebert » Sat May 20, 2017 8:15 am

What a joke dude was public ally lynched over something most would say in that type of moment.

There are too many insecure miscreants out there. Why did he need a pr team to type a fake apology on behalf him and the jays?

People are too phony.
Fairview4Life
RealGM

Post#10 » by Fairview4Life » Sat May 20, 2017 10:36 am

johanliebert wrote:What a joke dude was public ally lynched over something most would say in that type of moment.

There are too many insecure miscreants out there. Why did he need a pr team to type a fake apology on behalf him and the jays?

People are too phony.

The **** are you talking about?
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,797

Post#11 » by Duffman100 » Sat May 20, 2017 1:36 pm

johanliebert wrote:There are too many insecure miscreants out there.

Are you referring to the insecure miscreants who have been persecuted for 1000s of years? The people who find the word f***** to be symbol and reminder of that persecution? Those insecure people?
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Post#12 » by Schad » Sat May 20, 2017 6:34 pm

Also, please familiarize yourself with the definition of miscreant. It's a solid word, but it does not mean what you think it means, because this isn't the first time you've used it in a very unusual context.
**** your asterisk.
Wo1verine
2015 Beat the Commish Champion
And1: 11,761

Post#13 » by Wo1verine » Wed May 24, 2017 3:59 pm

NHL/Team got it right with Getzlaf - Words aren't worth suspensions! It's refreshing that they didn't give into the public pressure!
BrunoSkull
Fairview4Life
RealGM

Post#14 » by Fairview4Life » Wed May 24, 2017 4:57 pm

Wo1verine wrote:NHL/Team got it right with Getzlaf - Words aren't worth suspensions! It's refreshing that they didn't give into the public pressure!

Yeah, turns out there is a difference between game 40 of 162 and the conference finals.

Also, the idea there was any real or sustained public pressure over either of these instances is tilting at windmills.
Wo1verine
2015 Beat the Commish Champion
And1: 11,761

Post#15 » by Wo1verine » Wed May 24, 2017 8:23 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:
Wo1verine wrote:NHL/Team got it right with Getzlaf - Words aren't worth suspensions! It's refreshing that they didn't give into the public pressure!

Yeah, turns out there is a difference between game 40 of 162 and the conference finals.

Also, the idea there was any real or pressure over either of these instances is tilting at windmills.

Don't kid yourself, Rogers would have suspended Pillar regardless playoffs or not.. They have a brand to protect.

Getzlaf wasn't as much (turns out not too many watch the ducks enough to care), but Pillar news was allover for a day or 2, which was the reason the Jays acted the way they did with the new conference to talk about something so little - It was to settle down the people who don't have thicker skin.
BrunoSkull
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Post#16 » by Schad » Wed May 24, 2017 8:40 pm

You're a useless twat with terrible opinions.
**** your asterisk.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays