Donovan Mitchell - where's the hype?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Re: Donovan Mitchell - where's the hype? 

Post#61 » by GimmeDat » Sat May 20, 2017 2:56 am

I find it really hard to see him falling past Detroit at 12 right now.
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach
And1: 2,323

Post#62 » by ImHeisenberg » Sat May 20, 2017 9:40 pm

GimmeDat wrote:I find it really hard to see him falling past Detroit at 12 right now.

No clue where Detroit is leaning right now. I keep hearing Mitchell, Zach Collins and Kennard for the most part.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#63 » by GimmeDat » Sun May 21, 2017 12:45 am

ImHeisenberg wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:I find it really hard to see him falling past Detroit at 12 right now.

No clue where Detroit is leaning right now. I keep hearing Mitchell, Zach Collins and Kennard for the most part.

Z.Collins is probably BPA if available, I think he goes to Charlotte if he doesn't go earlier, though. Could go as early as Minny at 7 if Isaac's off the board, imo.

SG seems like a much bigger need, though. Kennard adds some elite shooting but I personally think Mitchell is the much better all-around prospect, if you guys are tossing up between the 2.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#64 » by doordoor123 » Sun May 21, 2017 12:57 am

ImHeisenberg wrote:

I think Detroit is going to make a big trade trade and ship off Drummond. If not that, I think they're a team that wants to shake it up. I also know Van Gundy doesn't like to make huge moves though. I'm just saying I think they'll go for the best player available. I think he's going to give Reggie Jackson another chance. He seemed hopeful when talking about Jackson after the season. Rumor is he doesn't want Drummond, but he's such a big player for them. They might also have to overpay Caldwell-Pope, but I think Van Gundy likes him so I could see them signing him if they ship off Drummond.
I also think Detroit doesn't want to go through any kind of rebuilding so I think whoever they pick will be someone who could help them right away.
I don't know how Van Gundy feels about Stanley Johnson and I think that's a big deal. Does he still think Johnson can be better with more minutes? Does he still believe in him?
They like Ish and Jackson, they have two young guys in Hilliard and Gbinije at SG and I don't know how Van Gundy likes either of those guys (plus KCP if he returns), at SF they have Morris and Johnson, PF that have Harris and Leuer, and at center they have Drummond (if he isn't traded) and Baynes (who Van Gundy loves). I'd say weakest position is SG and maybe SF, but do they want another wing that would take time developing? I don't think so.
If the Pistons make no moves, I think they should either trade back or trade the pick. If they want to compete they should be getting players that can play now because they can't afford to get another Henry Ellenson.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,218

Post#65 » by EvanZ » Wed May 24, 2017 4:46 am

Mitchell looks like a great pick for a team that "needs" a non-traditional point guard that can defend and shoot ala Pat Beverley. A team like Philly or MIL, for example.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#66 » by No-Man » Wed May 24, 2017 7:04 am

EvanZ wrote:Mitchell looks like a great pick for a team that "needs" a non-traditional point guard that can defend and shoot ala Pat Beverley. A team like Philly or MIL, for example.

Yeah, Milwaukee could try to trade up for him I guess
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,247

Post#67 » by Catchall » Fri May 26, 2017 8:23 pm

Mitchell is working out for the Jazz tomorrow. Mitchell's range should be 11-16, so the Jazz at 24 aren't really close to that. It leads me to believe the Jazz have a couple trade-up scenarios.

The Jazz have Boris Diaw's non-guaranteed deal that can help a team clear space, plus an extra pick or two to offer, not including another young player. The Jazz likewise interviewed Zach Collins at the Combine, who is in that same draft range.

If a team like Charlotte or Detroit works out players who should go in the 20s--e.g., Leaf, Rabb, Adebayo, Lydon, etc. it could be further evidence that a trade is on the table. The Jazz's pick at 24 could be in play.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
MalonesElbows
Starter
And1: 1,407

Post#68 » by MalonesElbows » Sun May 28, 2017 11:22 pm

The Jazz seem to really like Mitchell and he likes the organization. With the Jazz potentially losing some wings soon they could try and make a splash to move up and get him.
Ettorefm
Head Coach
And1: 5,260

Post#69 » by Ettorefm » Mon May 29, 2017 2:10 pm

MalonesElbows wrote:The Jazz seem to really like Mitchell and he likes the organization. With the Jazz potentially losing some wings soon they could try and make a splash to move up and get him.

Donovan Mitchell is 6'2/6'3 and a guard. How is losing some wings relevant to their decision?
bagsboy wrote:For two hundred years Democrats stole the productive output of slaves and now they seek to enrich themselves with the productive output from the 'rich'. First, Republicans needed to end slavery and next they need to fix taxation with a flat fair tax.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,001

Post#70 » by Mr B » Mon May 29, 2017 3:44 pm

I think there's an outside chance that if Ntilikina, DSJ, and Fox are all off the board by pick 9 Mitchell could be their pick. It just depends if Carlisle and Donnie Nelson think Mitchell could be a PG.
MalonesElbows
Starter
And1: 1,407

Post#71 » by MalonesElbows » Mon May 29, 2017 11:16 pm

Ettorefm wrote:
MalonesElbows wrote:The Jazz seem to really like Mitchell and he likes the organization. With the Jazz potentially losing some wings soon they could try and make a splash to move up and get him.

Donovan Mitchell is 6'2/6'3 and a guard. How is losing some wings relevant to their decision?

Wings = shooting guards.
Notanoob
Analyst
And1: 1,184

Post#72 » by Notanoob » Tue May 30, 2017 1:27 am

I'm not as high on Mitchell as everyone else here it seems. He really isn't an efficient scorer and while his passing is alright for a SG, he certainly doesn't look like PG material to me. I know that he has great length and is athletic and all that but shouldn't his offense be of a little more concern? He's a poor finisher, shot only 35% from 3 and doesn't draw fouls, leading to a pretty crappy 53TS%. That's with over half of his attempts already being from 3. He didn't pile up a lot of assists either, nothing unusual for a SG at least. Is everyone just assuming that he'll really improve some part of his offensive game? I know that isn't entirely unreasonable for a young prospect, but it should be notable that he has a significant amount of work to do.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,767

Post#73 » by HotelVitale » Tue May 30, 2017 1:54 am

Mr B wrote:I think there's an outside chance that if Ntilikina, DSJ, and Fox are all off the board by pick 9 Mitchell could be their pick. It just depends if Carlisle and Donnie Nelson think Mitchell could be a PG.

Would you all take him over Isaac, Monk, or Tatum? One of those would have to be left if DSJ, Fox, and Ntilikina are off the board.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,001

Post#74 » by Mr B » Tue May 30, 2017 2:28 am

HotelVitale wrote:
Mr B wrote:I think there's an outside chance that if Ntilikina, DSJ, and Fox are all off the board by pick 9 Mitchell could be their pick. It just depends if Carlisle and Donnie Nelson think Mitchell could be a PG.

Would you all take him over Isaac, Monk, or Tatum? One of those would have to be left if DSJ, Fox, and Ntilikina are off the board.

If Tatum and Isaac are still on the board they would be the pick I believe. Their talent level is higher than Mitchell and would be just too much to pass on I believe. Not so sure about Monk though. Just like Mitchell it would depend on if Carlisle and Nelson feel he could be a PG and if they like him more than Mitchell.
Ettorefm
Head Coach

Post#75 » by Ettorefm » Tue May 30, 2017 3:18 pm

MalonesElbows wrote:
Ettorefm wrote:

Wings = shooting guards.

Nope.
bagsboy wrote:For two hundred years Democrats stole the productive output of slaves and now they seek to enrich themselves with the productive output from the 'rich'. First, Republicans needed to end slavery and next they need to fix taxation with a flat fair tax.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,520

Post#76 » by zzaj » Tue May 30, 2017 4:29 pm

Ettorefm wrote:
MalonesElbows wrote:
Ettorefm wrote:

Wings = shooting guards.

Nope.

Yep.

SG's and SF's are the typical "wings" in that nomenclature.
Ettorefm
Head Coach

Post#77 » by Ettorefm » Tue May 30, 2017 5:12 pm

zzaj wrote:
Ettorefm wrote:
MalonesElbows wrote:
Wings = shooting guards.

Nope.

Yep.

SG's and SF's are the typical "wings" in that nomenclature.

Yes. Both, not just Shooting Guards.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,218

Post#78 » by EvanZ » Tue May 30, 2017 9:36 pm

Notanoob wrote:I'm not as high on Mitchell as everyone else here it seems. He really isn't an efficient scorer and while his passing is alright for a SG, he certainly doesn't look like PG material to me. I know that he has great length and is athletic and all that but shouldn't his offense be of a little more concern? He's a poor finisher, shot only 35% from 3 and doesn't draw fouls, leading to a pretty crappy 53TS%. That's with over half of his attempts already being from 3. He didn't pile up a lot of assists either, nothing unusual for a SG at least. Is everyone just assuming that he'll really improve some part of his offensive game? I know that isn't entirely unreasonable for a young prospect, but it should be notable that he has a significant amount of work to do.

80% FT shooter. I'm less concerned about his shot than Lonzo tbh.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#79 » by doordoor123 » Tue May 30, 2017 9:53 pm

EvanZ wrote:
Notanoob wrote:I'm not as high on Mitchell as everyone else here it seems. He really isn't an efficient scorer and while his passing is alright for a SG, he certainly doesn't look like PG material to me. I know that he has great length and is athletic and all that but shouldn't his offense be of a little more concern? He's a poor finisher, shot only 35% from 3 and doesn't draw fouls, leading to a pretty crappy 53TS%. That's with over half of his attempts already being from 3. He didn't pile up a lot of assists either, nothing unusual for a SG at least. Is everyone just assuming that he'll really improve some part of his offensive game? I know that isn't entirely unreasonable for a young prospect, but it should be notable that he has a significant amount of work to do.

80% FT shooter. I'm less concerned about his shot than Lonzo tbh.

I also think one of the most enticing qualities he has is that he shoots advanced threes. He has dribble pull-ups, step-backs, turnarounds, can shoot off of screens, has good fake-outs, etc. he has a very advanced wing game.
He also sees the floor very well in terms of his passing ability. Mitchell is another of those guys you can't look at stats for. He can do more than his stats say.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#80 » by Ruzious » Tue May 30, 2017 10:12 pm

Agreed that he's much more 2 than 1. But even though he's short, I think he'll be fine size-wise because he's very strongly built, he's got a 6'10 wingspan, he's a great leaper, and he's athletic. Joe Dumars was a short 2 and still an outstanding defender. My questions on him are more about his shooting than anything else - as his scoring efficiency was just ok. If he satisfies teams about that, he should be a lotto pick.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams

Return to NBA Draft