ImageImageImageImageImage

How do we...

Moderators: codydaze, KF10, City of Trees

sacking123
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,348

How do we... 

Post#1 » by sacking123 » Sat May 20, 2017 2:42 am

Get to the salary floor for the 2017-18 season? I have bought this up over the last couple of weeks, but thought we could have a discussion about this specifically. As in, do we wait until we absolutely have to hit the floor? Sign someone? mixture?
And please correct anything that is wrong. I don't know when the cut off point is to hit the floor either.
Currently it is $90,900,000 for next season.
For this exercise we have drafted Fox @ 5, Anunoby @ 10 and Swanigan @ 34. Their salaries are only guestimates. Bogdanovic has decided to stay overseas, we haven't matched any offer for McLemore and Afflalo has been let go.

This is the salary after the draft and heading into the off season.
Kosta Koufas.....................8,393,000
Garrett Temple.................8,000,000
Anthony Tolliver................8,000,000
Langston Galloway.............5,434,000
Pick 5 (Fox).....................4,000,000
Willie Cauley-Stein............3,704,160
Buddy Hield....................3,675,480
Pick 10 (Anunoby).............2,500,00
Georgios Papagiannis.........2,301,360
Matt Barnes (Waived).........2,133,542
Malachi Richardson............1,504,560
Aron Afflalo (Waived)........1,500,000
Skal Labissiere.................1,312,611
Pick 35 (Swanigan)............1,000,000
Caron Butler.....................517,220
Total............................53,975,933

So how do we get that extra $36,924,067 specifically?
This can also be a fluid plan where we can all update things (particularly if I have missed something).
Centre (3 players), Power Forward (3 players) and Shooting Guard (3 players) as we all know are positions that are quite full where as SF (1 player) needs attention and Point Guard (2 players) may just need depth (depending on your point of view).
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
209Kings
Freshman
And1: 10

Re: How do we... 

Post#2 » by 209Kings » Sat May 20, 2017 4:16 am

Use our cap space as trade value.
sacking123
Assistant Coach

Post#3 » by sacking123 » Sat May 20, 2017 4:28 am

209Kings wrote:Use our cap space as trade value.

Well yeah. Who, when and what value?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
Bosnian Diehard
Junior
And1: 640

Post#4 » by Bosnian Diehard » Sat May 20, 2017 6:21 am

Pelicans are desparate to free up some cap space. Take some of their bad contracts for a first rounder.
fluffhead
Junior
And1: 33

Post#5 » by fluffhead » Sat May 20, 2017 2:52 pm

Lakers are desperate to get rid of deng. Maybe deng and randle or russel for a future 2nd

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
bleeds_purple
Analyst
And1: 1,809

Post#6 » by bleeds_purple » Sat May 20, 2017 8:29 pm

simonbampfield wrote:
209Kings wrote:Use our cap space as trade value.

Well yeah. Who, when and what value?

He means the Heineke type trades. Absorb bad contracts in exchange for picks. As for when, the team has the whole season to meet the floor AFAIK, so whenever other teams start needing to make these trades.
PetrieUnderstudy
Rookie
And1: 71

Post#7 » by PetrieUnderstudy » Sun May 21, 2017 5:18 pm

Keep Tolliver and waive Afflalo. Sign Bogdanovic, Teodosic, JaMychal Green & throw max at Otto Porter and if Wiz match sign Joe Ingles. Add in rookie contracts and should be good. I think Sixers and TWolves have done it wrong. They have nice young talent but don't know how to win. I want our young guys competitive. I think we can win more next season than this season. I don't think the Kings need the first pick next year. Anywhere in lottery they should get someone good. It would be nice to get Porter or Doncic but I'd also take Bridges. I'll use your draft picks to fill in roster and add 1 undrafted rookie Marcus Keene since we can have 17 signed players.

Teodosic/Fox/Galloway/Keene
Hield/Bogdanovic/Richardson
Porter or Ingles/Temple/Anunoby
Green/Labissiere/Tolliver/Swanigan
Cauley-Stein/Koufos/Papagiannis
Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,623

Post#8 » by Andre Roberstan » Tue May 30, 2017 5:20 pm

Kings don't have to worry about any of their guys hitting RFA till 2019. With that in mind, with the boatload of cap space they have they could absorb at least 1 big overpaid contract and still have space to play spoiler in the RFA market for the next 2 years, and wouldn't have to worry about salary till 2019 at the earliest.

So for big-salary guys that are neutral to negative value on their contracts that expire in 2019 and could be moved:

Demarre Carroll
Al Jefferson
Jamal Crawford
Monta Ellis
Enes Kanter
Kenneth Faried

If you want to go for 2020 and think you'll have cap enough to be fine with WCS in RFA:

Dwight Powell
John Henson
Luol Deng
Brandon Knight
Ryan Anderson
Kent Bazemore
Meyers Leonard
Solomon Hill
Jordan Clarkson
Timofey Mozgov
Joakim Noah
Evan Turner
Chandler Parsons
Miles Plumlee
Bismack Biyombo

(holy crap those are some bad contracts)
TheGermanMoses
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#9 » by TheGermanMoses » Tue May 30, 2017 7:00 pm

Mavs fan, Wes Matthews isn't a bum and would get you there. I'm not dumb enough to come here to suggest you give up 5 or 10 for him but maybe a guy like Bogdonavic/afflalo or afflalo and the right to swap 1sts in the future or a 1st way down the line or something and we could throw in a 2nd. I'm assuming you intend on waiving afflalo anyway (I assume we would too) just need someone to make the salary work. Powell is meh but not horrible he just doesn't fit our roster well because we need rebounding and he's pretty bad at that. We'd maybe trade him for afflalo straight-up for the cap relief, so thats another option. And if yall would be willing to do a wes and our unprotected 1st next year for #10 deal I think we'd be down but I'm guessing you wouldn't have a ton of interest but maybe I'm wrong.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#10 » by SacKingZZZ » Tue May 30, 2017 9:03 pm

Demarre Carroll is an interesting possibility. I think if the Kings don't find a SF in the draft, or they don't find anything that they feel can come in right away and produce then he'd be a great option as a contract swallow with some potential long term gamble value.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#11 » by SacKingZZZ » Tue May 30, 2017 9:06 pm

TheGermanMoses wrote:Mavs fan, Wes Matthews isn't a bum and would get you there. I'm not dumb enough to come here to suggest you give up 5 or 10 for him but maybe a guy like Bogdonavic/afflalo or afflalo and the right to swap 1sts in the future or a 1st way down the line or something and we could throw in a 2nd. I'm assuming you intend on waiving afflalo anyway (I assume we would too) just need someone to make the salary work. Powell is meh but not horrible he just doesn't fit our roster well because we need rebounding and he's pretty bad at that. We'd maybe trade him for afflalo straight-up for the cap relief, so thats another option. And if yall would be willing to do a wes and our unprotected 1st next year for #10 deal I think we'd be down but I'm guessing you wouldn't have a ton of interest but maybe I'm wrong.

I'd say there is a good chance that one of the last players Vlade would trade right now is Bogdanovic. If he shuns the Kings this summer that might change but it looks like Vlade is doing what he can to bring him over now. Also, the value of that trade just isn't there. Pick swaps for the next few years will have little interest to the Kings I would assume and giving up the 10 for a pure gamble and nothing guaranteed coming back now is very unlikely.
TheGermanMoses
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#12 » by TheGermanMoses » Tue May 30, 2017 10:21 pm

SacKingZZZ wrote:
TheGermanMoses wrote:Mavs fan, Wes Matthews isn't a bum and would get you there. I'm not dumb enough to come here to suggest you give up 5 or 10 for him but maybe a guy like Bogdonavic/afflalo or afflalo and the right to swap 1sts in the future or a 1st way down the line or something and we could throw in a 2nd. I'm assuming you intend on waiving afflalo anyway (I assume we would too) just need someone to make the salary work. Powell is meh but not horrible he just doesn't fit our roster well because we need rebounding and he's pretty bad at that. We'd maybe trade him for afflalo straight-up for the cap relief, so thats another option. And if yall would be willing to do a wes and our unprotected 1st next year for #10 deal I think we'd be down but I'm guessing you wouldn't have a ton of interest but maybe I'm wrong.

I'd say there is a good chance that one of the last players Vlade would trade right now is Bogdanovic. If he shuns the Kings this summer that might change but it looks like Vlade is doing what he can to bring him over now. Also, the value of that trade just isn't there. Pick swaps for the next few years will have little interest to the Kings I would assume and giving up the 10 for a pure gamble and nothing guaranteed coming back now is very unlikely.

Makes sense. Maybe Wes for Afflalo and a couple future 2nds would work best. Maybe even just 1 2nd is all you'd be willing to give idk.
jazanetti
Junior
And1: 45

Post#13 » by jazanetti » Wed May 31, 2017 5:49 am

TheGermanMoses wrote:Makes sense. Maybe Wes for Afflalo and a couple future 2nds would work best. Maybe even just 1 2nd is all you'd be willing to give idk.

Having Hield, Richardson, Temple and potentially Bogdan I think Kings have absolutely no interest to give something for Wes.
Sactowndog
Kings Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 1,706

Post#14 » by Sactowndog » Thu Jun 1, 2017 2:53 am

Andre Roberstan wrote:Kings don't have to worry about any of their guys hitting RFA till 2019. With that in mind, with the boatload of cap space they have they could absorb at least 1 big overpaid contract and still have space to play spoiler in the RFA market for the next 2 years, and wouldn't have to worry about salary till 2019 at the earliest.

So for big-salary guys that are neutral to negative value on their contracts that expire in 2019 and could be moved:

Demarre Carroll
Al Jefferson
Jamal Crawford
Monta Ellis
Enes Kanter
Kenneth Faried

If you want to go for 2020 and think you'll have cap enough to be fine with WCS in RFA:

Dwight Powell
John Henson
Luol Deng
Brandon Knight
Ryan Anderson
Kent Bazemore
Meyers Leonard
Solomon Hill
Jordan Clarkson
Timofey Mozgov
Joakim Noah
Evan Turner
Chandler Parsons
Miles Plumlee
Bismack Biyombo

Does anyone know if you can accelerate a cap hit. I know you can defer it.
Sactowndog

Post#15 » by Sactowndog » Thu Jun 1, 2017 2:55 am

SacKingZZZ wrote:

Bogdan is coming for sure.
Sacramento_King
Rookie
And1: 76

Post#16 » by Sacramento_King » Fri Jun 2, 2017 8:23 am

Cutting Tolliver makes me think something is being worked, possibly Evan Turner and pick(s) for our space.
sacking123
Assistant Coach

Post#17 » by sacking123 » Fri Jun 2, 2017 8:28 am

Sacramento_King wrote:Cutting Tolliver makes me think something is being worked, possibly Evan Turner and pick(s) for our space.

Let's hope it's something very useful/beneficial like this.
I don't know what price you put on a guy like Tolliver but I think it's quite high. Not his basketball, his leadership, professionalism. Everything.
That is an absolute steal at 8 million IMO.
It does give us a little more wiggle room as far as roster spots.
Let's see what the FO has planned.

Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
benchmobbin02
Veteran
And1: 364

Post#18 » by benchmobbin02 » Fri Jun 2, 2017 9:00 am

Sactowndog wrote:
Andre Roberstan wrote:Kings don't have to worry about any of their guys hitting RFA till 2019. With that in mind, with the boatload of cap space they have they could absorb at least 1 big overpaid contract and still have space to play spoiler in the RFA market for the next 2 years, and wouldn't have to worry about salary till 2019 at the earliest.

Demarre Carroll
Al Jefferson
Jamal Crawford
Monta Ellis
Enes Kanter
Kenneth Faried

Dwight Powell
John Henson
Luol Deng
Brandon Knight
Ryan Anderson
Kent Bazemore
Meyers Leonard
Solomon Hill
Jordan Clarkson
Timofey Mozgov
Joakim Noah
Evan Turner
Chandler Parsons
Miles Plumlee
Bismack Biyombo

Does anyone know if you can accelerate a cap hit. I know you can defer it.

You can negotiate a buyout where the team agrees to play a certain amount. But from all I have read the contract is the contract. You can't change when money hits unless some kind of agreement is changed between the team and player and even then most of the time its deferred like you said.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
Sacramento_King
Rookie
And1: 76

Post#19 » by Sacramento_King » Fri Jun 2, 2017 8:24 pm

simonbampfield wrote:
Sacramento_King wrote:Cutting Tolliver makes me think something is being worked, possibly Evan Turner and pick(s) for our space.

I don't know what price you put on a guy like Tolliver but I think it's quite high. Not his basketball, his leadership, professionalism. Everything.

I agree on Tolliver having the intangibles that you want in a bench guy. Totally professional that out young guys can emulate from a personal standpoint. It does look like Vlade has put together a pretty cohesive group without the attitude and temperamental nature of past players so maybe he's a little more open to losing a vet like AT.
Sactowndog

Post#20 » by Sactowndog » Fri Jun 2, 2017 11:30 pm

simonbampfield wrote:

With the Paul / Spurs news I could see a Tony Parker salary dump trade with the Spurs. But what do we require to take the contract?

Return to Sacramento Kings