ImageImageImageImageImage

Where to bat Jose since he continues to suck

Moderator: JaysRule15

dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,485

Where to bat Jose since he continues to suck 

Post#1 » by dagger » Mon May 8, 2017 12:45 am

Bautista was 0-13 in the Tampa series, and his average is down to .174. Yes, he gets walks, too, and is playing a little better this year in the field, but when Donaldson comes back do you really want Jose slotted between Josh and Morales? Pillar-Donaldson is a nice one-two, with a good chance to get base runners in place. But maybe Tulo is a better option for #3 when he returns (Martin is still finding himself, and he's a double play machine so I don't like him at 3.

But I'm not sure Jose's ego can take batting lower than say, fifth.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
C Court
RealGM
And1: 25,100

Re: Where to bat Jose since he continues to suck 

Post#2 » by C Court » Mon May 8, 2017 12:56 am

If Jose continues to struggle, I hope he looks at a drop in the order as a way to get his average up. He really doesn't deserve to be higher than 5 or 6.
NBA Champion Toronto Raptors
johanliebert
General Manager
And1: 5,665

Post#3 » by johanliebert » Mon May 8, 2017 5:27 pm

Why you worried about joses ego it's gonna be gibbons decision anyways. Pointless thread
BramptonYute
Head Coach
And1: 8,677

Post#4 » by BramptonYute » Mon May 8, 2017 6:27 pm

leadoff, so he can lead the tank
dballislife
RealGM
And1: 4,913

Post#5 » by dballislife » Mon May 8, 2017 7:27 pm

would still bat him 2nd once josh returns, for at least another month, he has potential to still get on base at a good rate
What is basketball.....basketball is life!
Sifu
Veteran
And1: 1,005

Post#6 » by Sifu » Mon May 8, 2017 11:20 pm

Where is the option to bat him 10th?
chargerxthirty
Sixth Man
And1: 794

Post#7 » by chargerxthirty » Wed May 10, 2017 5:50 am

Maybe bat him 6th or 7th? might serve as a notice. I know pillar is doing well up top, but if I was making my lineup.

1. Devon
2. Josh
3. Tulo
4. Kendrys
5. Russell
6. Smoak
7. Jose
8. Pearce
9. Superman

You'd have to think that batting below Smoak in the lineup might rattle him.

Maybe have the pitchers go out there wearing Darren O'Day masks.. get him angry :d
ldnk
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,522

Post#8 » by ldnk » Wed May 10, 2017 4:04 pm

chargerxthirty wrote:Maybe bat him 6th or 7th? might serve as a notice. I know pillar is doing well up top, but if I was making my lineup.

1. Devon
2. Josh
3. Tulo
4. Kendrys
5. Russell
6. Smoak
7. Jose
8. Pearce
9. Superman

Maybe have the pitchers go out there wearing Darren O'Day masks.. get him angry :d

In what world does it make more sense to play Travis with his .157 BA and .220 OBP leadoff?
North_of_Border
Pro Prospect
And1: 369

Post#9 » by North_of_Border » Thu May 11, 2017 1:33 am

Jose needs to step it up. Jays deal him to a contender for a charity return unless he atleast starts to hit by the deadline.

Jose to a winning team for a B prospect.... everyone is happy

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using RealGM mobile app
Raps_Swingman
Analyst
And1: 211

Post#10 » by Raps_Swingman » Thu May 11, 2017 2:04 pm

Jose appears to be waking up. He's still getting on base at a good clip and his Line Drive percentage is up. Obviously he's striking out way to much, but the signs appear to be there for a turnaround.
That's what she said.
North_of_Border
Pro Prospect
And1: 369

Re: RE: Re: Where to bat Jose since he continues to suck 

Post#11 » by North_of_Border » Thu May 11, 2017 10:40 pm

Raps_Swingman wrote:Jose appears to be waking up. He's still getting on base at a good clip and his Line Drive percentage is up. Obviously he's striking out way to much, but the signs appear to be there for a turnaround.

I just dropped him from my fantasy team. He was killing me all season.

I think it's reached a point where we can say Jose is done. From this point on he could improve a bit. Because he was pretty much garbage. No where to go but up now. Though it's over. He would be a bench hitter if it weren't for his salary and past.

Good thing he didn't accept that 4-5 year extension before the start of last season. Would a killed the Jays for years to come.
chargerxthirty
Sixth Man
And1: 794

Post#12 » by chargerxthirty » Thu May 11, 2017 11:47 pm

ldnk wrote:
chargerxthirty wrote:Maybe bat him 6th or 7th? might serve as a notice. I know pillar is doing well up top, but if I was making my lineup.

1. Devon
2. Josh
3. Tulo
4. Kendrys
5. Russell
6. Smoak
7. Jose
8. Pearce
9. Superman

In what world does it make more sense to play Travis with his .157 BA and .220 OBP leadoff?

None right now I suppose... but I completely expect both of their numbers to normalize.
BigLeagueChew
RealGM
And1: 4,088

Post#13 » by BigLeagueChew » Fri May 12, 2017 10:32 pm

If half the lineup wasn't injured I would consider dropping him down but for now keep him where he is.
EJaggit
Starter
And1: 2,328

Post#14 » by EJaggit » Mon May 15, 2017 7:23 pm

IMO think it should be

Pillar
Donaldson
Tulowitzki
Morales
Bautista
Smoak
Martin
Travis
Pearce
Black Watch
Bench Warmer
And1: 762

Post#15 » by Black Watch » Wed May 24, 2017 7:56 pm

ESPN Stats & Info‏, @ESPNStatsInfo, 2h2 hours ago

José Bautista This Season:

April: .178 BA, 1 HR, 7 RBI, .554 OPS
May: .308 BA, 7 HR, 16 RBI, 1.060 OPS

(includes 4th inning HR today)
Black Watch and Hamyltowne, my former usernames, are tartan patterns. Nothing to do with any race or any city.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,534

Post#16 » by Fairview4Life » Thu May 25, 2017 1:51 am

Black Watch wrote:
ESPN Stats & Info‏, @ESPNStatsInfo, 2h2 hours ago

José Bautista This Season:

April: .178 BA, 1 HR, 7 RBI, .554 OPS
May: .308 BA, 7 HR, 16 RBI, 1.060 OPS

(includes 4th inning HR today)

Someone had to pick up Edwin's torch. Just need to start throwing bats into the stands.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Rapcity_11
RealGM
And1: 9,534

Re: RE: Re: Where to bat Jose since he continues to suck 

Post#17 » by Rapcity_11 » Thu Jun 1, 2017 3:56 pm

North_of_Border wrote:
Raps_Swingman wrote:Jose appears to be waking up. He's still getting on base at a good clip and his Line Drive percentage is up. Obviously he's striking out way to much, but the signs appear to be there for a turnaround.

I just dropped him from my fantasy team. He was killing me all season.

I think it's reached a point where we can say Jose is done. From this point on he could improve a bit. Because he was pretty much garbage. No where to go but up now. Though it's over. He would be a bench hitter if it weren't for his salary and past.

Good thing he didn't accept that 4-5 year extension before the start of last season. Would a killed the Jays for years to come.

Well this looks pretty hilarious now, don't it?
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,209

Post#18 » by LLJ » Thu Jun 1, 2017 5:43 pm

The idea of him suddenly falling off a cliff forever just didn't make sense. Yes, he's getting older, and those season-by-season hitting numbers will likely continue to slide gradually and those awful slumps will last longer than when he was younger, but to think he wouldn't have some months where he was seeing everything and mashing was fairly unrealistic thinking. He's 36 not 45.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,087

Post#19 » by Schad » Fri Jun 2, 2017 1:18 am

LLJ wrote:The idea of him suddenly falling off a cliff forever just didn't make sense. Yes, he's getting older, and those season-by-season hitting numbers will likely continue to slide gradually and those awful slumps will last longer than when he was younger, but to think he wouldn't have some months where he was seeing everything and mashing was fairly unrealistic thinking. He's 36 not 45.

There are still a lot of warning signs, despite his hot streak. His strikeout rate is still way up. Swinging strike rate is still well above career norms. Walk rate, though still very high, is also down. The only thing that is up is his BABIP, which is more than 20 points above his career average. He'll keep having hot stretches, and cold stretches, as he always has, but he doesn't really need to fall of a cliff...he fell off it last year. To merit being paid what he is, he needs to rebound from that performance...on May's evidence, he might well, but with his streakiness increasing, it remains to be seen.

And 36 is very old by major league standards these days. There are only twelve players in baseball with 100+ PAs who are in their ages 36 season or above, and only seven of those are on pace to have decent-to-good seasons. None are in the top 70 in batter fWAR. 36 is the new 45.
**** your asterisk.
vaff87
RealGM
And1: 70,824

Post#20 » by vaff87 » Fri Jun 2, 2017 1:42 am

Schad wrote:
LLJ wrote:The idea of him suddenly falling off a cliff forever just didn't make sense. Yes, he's getting older, and those season-by-season hitting numbers will likely continue to slide gradually and those awful slumps will last longer than when he was younger, but to think he wouldn't have some months where he was seeing everything and mashing was fairly unrealistic thinking. He's 36 not 45.

There are still a lot of warning signs, despite his hot streak. His strikeout rate is still way up. Swinging strike rate is still well above career norms. Walk rate, though still very high, is also down. The only thing that is up is his BABIP, which is more than 20 points above his career average. He'll keep having hot stretches, and cold stretches, as he always has, but he doesn't really need to fall of a cliff...he fell off it last year. To merit being paid what he is, he needs to rebound from that performance...on May's evidence, he might well, but with his streakiness increasing, it remains to be seen.

And 36 is very old by major league standards these days. There are only twelve players in baseball with 100+ PAs who are in their ages 36 season or above, and only seven of those are on pace to have decent-to-good seasons. None are in the top 70 in batter fWAR. 36 is the new 45.

Before today's game, he had only struck out four times in his last 13 games. So he seems to have that blip on the radar fixed.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays