Do you consider LeBron James a good role model?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Is LeBron a good role model for kids to look up to

Yes
74%
No
26%

Total votes: 266

Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,623

Re: Do you consider LeBron James a good role model? 

Post#81 » by Andre Roberstan » Fri Jun 9, 2017 9:05 pm

Bron cares for his community (he had a really good, interesting talk about Gilbert's letter and the city of Cleveland in the barbershop video earlier today about that). He's articulate and forceful in his support of the causes he feels strongly about, and they're good ones. I'm not personally on his side of the political spectrum but I respect his values. He doesn't get up to shenanigans off the court (that we know of), and he seems like a decent dad and husband.

And yeah, he's had his missteps (particularly when he was younger...the Decision will go down in infamy). But where he's at in life now, he's someone that I honestly admire.

If you're looking at guys to be ambassadors for your sport, you can't do much better than Bron and Curry.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,679

Post#82 » by Dupp » Fri Jun 9, 2017 9:08 pm

Forgot about the blatt stuff. Yeah there were some bad looks there.
xBulletproof
Analyst
And1: 4,368

Post#83 » by xBulletproof » Fri Jun 9, 2017 9:25 pm

Prince187 wrote:You want your kids thinking that the Decision is something they should emulate?

Yes, I would love for kids to do something to generate 6 million dollars for charities.
Tai
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,240

Post#84 » by Tai » Fri Jun 9, 2017 9:32 pm

DubTheVanDamage wrote:
tocooks101 wrote:
DubTheVanDamage wrote:
He's not the only athlete to give back to the community nor is he the only one who hasn't had off court issues. It's nice that he donates 1% of his income (or whatever tiny number it is) but let's not pretend that he's a doctor who has chosen to work for MSF.

James also lives in 30k square foot house, which is ridiculously wasteful and disgusting, ostentatious consumption.

The world has countless people who are worse than LeBron James but plenty who are much better people as well.

No one is saying he is the only athlete to give back, please stop these ridiculous statements, its literally trash.

Guy can do what he wants with the money he earned, within reason. A big house for him and his family is pretty reasonable, not ridiculously or disgusting at all given the context of how much he makes.

Easy to sit back and judge a man's life when you have done nothing with yours.

I'm sorry, I thought the topic of the thread was: "Do you consider LeBron James a good role model?" not: "Hypocritical ad hominum attacks in defense of conspicuous consumption while misusing the word 'literal'." I'll see myself out. :lol:

1) Lebron has countless endorsements, including his lifetime deal with Nike, on top of his "ridiculously" high NBA salary.

https://www.forbes.com/athletes/list/

This list has Lebron at #2 of highest-paid athletes this year with 86.2M. You really think a 30K square foot house with the proper financing (keeping in mind the generous interest rate he probably gets on a mortgage) is that superfluous for him? Let's be real; he'll be fine, but I'm sure he appreciates your concern. :nod:

2) 1% of that income is $862,000, which I don't know about you, I'd be thrilled to make in a lifetime (as an aspiring accountant mind you), let alone donate in a ****ing year. But just to play along, I did a little google of "Lebron James charity donations" and found these on the first page:

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/lebron-james-college-scholarships-akron-university-cavaliers-i-promise-081315

The NBA star has partnered with the University of Akron to provide a guaranteed four-year scholarship to the school for students in James’ "I Promise" program who qualify. The scholarship will cover tuition and the university’s general service fee — currently $9,500 per year. James told ESPN he plans to provide this for 1,100 kids, which would cost his foundation a total of $41.8 million at the school’s current rates.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/cavaliers/2016/11/17/lebron-james-donating-muhammad-ali-smithsonian-exhibit/93965414/

The Cleveland Cavaliers star, his charitable foundation and James’ business partner Maverick Carter are donating a total of $2.5 million to the new exhibit, "Muhammad Ali: A Force for Change." They join the list of founding donors to the museum that includes two NBA Hall of Famers. Michael Jordan donated $5 million. Magic Johnson and his wife Cookie donated at least $1 million.

One donation's obviously much much bigger than the other, but I think the point's been made since both are bigger than $862,000. It's no crime if you think Lebron's not a role model, but it's obvious you shot from the hip with "whatever tiny number" you thought Lebron donated, not to mention the straw man on saying he's not the only athlete to donate.
smartyz456 wrote:oh i am a laker fan for life

i'm just gonna be a warrior fan until lebron leaves the lakers

true laker fans don't root for lebron

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1728641
miamiheat319
Veteran
And1: 6,961

Post#85 » by miamiheat319 » Fri Jun 9, 2017 9:32 pm

bmurph128 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
Apparently, you can't be a role model if you're not a perfect human being. Or if I hate you as a basketball player.

Oh Im not trying to say that you have to be a perfect human to be a great role model. Im just saying I dont think people in entertainment end up being the best role models. But as an athlete, I dont see anything about Lebron that would make people say he isnt a good role model.

People keep saying this - that people in entertainment aren't the best role models. I don't understand this...the reality is, because they are a celebrity, we're more aware of their lives.

Just as an example - parents make bad decisions about who the surround their kids with everyday. My biggest pet peeve is divorce - which is something that probably 40% of the country has gone through - that is setting a bad example for your kid. But I digress...whether it's a second spouse, a pastor at church, a teacher at school, a friend, a relative - all of these people can be bad people, and the ability to keep it a secret. Children are so perceptive that even if you don't see something, they might.

People were really bothered by Tiger Woods - because as a star athlete, he has a responsibility to society to be a role model. This is not something that your friend, relative, etc. has. Some people will disagree with that, but I think it rings true because being in the public eye, their lives are often laid bare - maybe not right away, but eventually.

That is what makes LeBron such an outstanding role model - and I would not qualify it. When a child looks up to a teacher, pastor, friend or relative, they often times are not seeing all sides of that person. With celebrities we're not either, but I would argue that it's harder for someone in the public eye to keep their secrets.

On top of keeping something secret, you're able to actually see LeBron's mistakes. So say you want your kid to look up to someone in the community that's doing amazing things - that person might appear perfect, and that is not a good role model. It's unrealistic - becoming a pro athlete is also unrealistic, but it's more common to become a pro athlete than it is to be perfect. LeBron's biggest mistake in his life might be how he handled the decision - how many non-celebrity role models had their biggest mistake witnessed by people that look up to them?

On top of that, LeBron uses his platform to discuss issues, which sets a great example. His background also gives him the ability to relate to people of all walks of life - rich or poor. All of this together leads to a perfectly imperfect role model.

If I could give this a million And'1s, I would. Very well put together and well thought out post.
NBA Jersey connoisseur
https://youtu.be/k-PaOWxvnz0
Kirito
Senior
And1: 223

Post#86 » by Kirito » Fri Jun 9, 2017 9:34 pm

bmurph128 wrote:
Kirito wrote:No he has to much baggage when he was younger.
disrespecting coach's thats not somethign you want to teach your kids. He has disrespected how many already everyone but Lou that he picked but even now he is taking subtle shots at him. When your the best player in the world you can do that when your me and you that gets us fired.

The dancing on the side lines when someone brings up being a good sport blah blah blah some will can always post those pictures.

All his activism again you try pulling that stuff in your work space that will get you fired also.

You want to see a good role model in sports see Tim D

Yikes.

First thing that I would look for in a role model is someone who has never been divorced, and didn't have children with multiple women. Broken families are WAY too normalized these days and it's the single biggest crisis that our country faces.

On the court, Duncan was a good role model - away from basketball LeBron blows him out of the water.

Off the court I have no issue's with him really, *outside of that 1 show*. Btw anything that ends up coming out about him like cheating and stuff i still wouldnt care because well i expect it. Yet if you want to talk broken family dosnt he come from a single mohter? If thats your #1 worry he would be the worst for you hey kids look even if your from a single monther you can still make it in life.
Z Cabarkapa
Sophomore
And1: 132

Post#87 » by Z Cabarkapa » Fri Jun 9, 2017 9:45 pm

Throwback24 wrote:Only stars I look up to are the ones in the sky. I suggest you do the same.

Good for you.
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,216

Post#88 » by LLJ » Fri Jun 9, 2017 9:56 pm

I don't "like" LeBron, but there's no denying he's been a good guy with a clean record off the court. Most of our problems with him as fans merely pertain to some "decisions" he made on the job. That and he has a pretty big ego and isn't afraid to show it. But if that's the worst we can come up with, then LeBron stands very well as a role model amongst some of the greatest athletes ever in sports.

Let's hope something doesn't come out later showing he's been on PEDs or something; that's the thing I'd be worried about most as far as his rep. But everything else he's been a marvelous citizen.
acidfrehley
Sophomore
And1: 176

Post#89 » by acidfrehley » Fri Jun 9, 2017 9:57 pm

He is like the John Cena of the NBA. Of course I do.
LivingLegend
Head Coach
And1: 7,745

Post#90 » by LivingLegend » Fri Jun 9, 2017 10:04 pm

DubTheVanDamage wrote:
InsanityKills wrote:Yes, he's THE greatest role model in the sports world tbh. He's sending kids to college out of his own pocket, he consistently donates to charities, and has never had any off the court issues.

He's not the only athlete to give back to the community nor is he the only one who hasn't had off court issues. It's nice that he donates 1% of his income (or whatever tiny number it is) but let's not pretend that he's a doctor who has chosen to work for MSF.

James also lives in 30k square foot house, which is ridiculously wasteful and disgusting, ostentatious consumption.

The world has countless people who are worse than LeBron James but plenty who are much better people as well.

LeBron literally started his own grade school for underprivileged childen to receive proper education and if they graduate, he sends them to college for free on his dime. He also has the same type of schooling program for adults who never had a chance to get their GEDs. He also personally calls the kids when he's notified they are doing bad in his school to give them a pep talk on the phone.

You can say all athletes donate- but having a charity is a far cry from what LeBron has done in his community.

MC3
RealGM
And1: 7,747

Post#91 » by MC3 » Fri Jun 9, 2017 10:07 pm

Do you mean I consider a guy who never attended college or has higher degree of education a good role model for kids? No.
Kirito
Senior
And1: 223

Post#92 » by Kirito » Fri Jun 9, 2017 10:08 pm

LivingLegend wrote:
DubTheVanDamage wrote:
InsanityKills wrote:Yes, he's THE greatest role model in the sports world tbh. He's sending kids to college out of his own pocket, he consistently donates to charities, and has never had any off the court issues.

LeBron literally started his own grade school for underprivileged childen to receive proper education and if they graduate, he sends them to college for free on his dime. He also has the same type of schooling program for adults who never had a chance to get their GEDs. He also personally calls the kids when he's notified they are doing bad in his school to give them a pep talk on the phone.

You can say all athletes donate- but having a charity is a far cry from what LeBron has done in his community.

Lol people who Knock Lebron for anything on his Free time need to STFU. Outside of the NBA he has been great. its the on the field things that keeps him from being a good role model. Like i tell people I look up to Hulk Hogan and one of the greatest people ever. While Terrence Gene Bollea is a peace of trash who i despise. 1 has nothing to do with the other.
DubTheVanDamage
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,182

Post#93 » by DubTheVanDamage » Fri Jun 9, 2017 10:15 pm

Tai wrote:
DubTheVanDamage wrote:
tocooks101 wrote:
No one is saying he is the only athlete to give back, please stop these ridiculous statements, its literally trash.

Guy can do what he wants with the money he earned, within reason. A big house for him and his family is pretty reasonable, not ridiculously or disgusting at all given the context of how much he makes.

Easy to sit back and judge a man's life when you have done nothing with yours.

I'm sorry, I thought the topic of the thread was: "Do you consider LeBron James a good role model?" not: "Hypocritical ad hominum attacks in defense of conspicuous consumption while misusing the word 'literal'." I'll see myself out. :lol:

1) Lebron has countless endorsements, including his lifetime deal with Nike, on top of his "ridiculously" high NBA salary.

https://www.forbes.com/athletes/list/

This list has Lebron at #2 of highest-paid athletes this year with 86.2M. You really think a 30K square foot house with the proper financing (keeping in mind the generous interest rate he probably gets on a mortgage) is that superfluous for him? Let's be real; he'll be fine, but I'm sure he appreciates your concern. :nod:

2) 1% of that income is $862,000, which I don't know about you, I'd be thrilled to make in a lifetime (as an aspiring accountant mind you), let alone donate in a ****ing year. But just to play along, I did a little google of "Lebron James charity donations" and found these on the first page:

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/lebron-james-college-scholarships-akron-university-cavaliers-i-promise-081315

The NBA star has partnered with the University of Akron to provide a guaranteed four-year scholarship to the school for students in James’ "I Promise" program who qualify. The scholarship will cover tuition and the university’s general service fee — currently $9,500 per year. James told ESPN he plans to provide this for 1,100 kids, which would cost his foundation a total of $41.8 million at the school’s current rates.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/cavaliers/2016/11/17/lebron-james-donating-muhammad-ali-smithsonian-exhibit/93965414/

The Cleveland Cavaliers star, his charitable foundation and James’ business partner Maverick Carter are donating a total of $2.5 million to the new exhibit, "Muhammad Ali: A Force for Change." They join the list of founding donors to the museum that includes two NBA Hall of Famers. Michael Jordan donated $5 million. Magic Johnson and his wife Cookie donated at least $1 million.

One donation's obviously much much bigger than the other, but I think the point's been made since both are bigger than $862,000. It's no crime if you think Lebron's not a role model, but it's obvious you shot from the hip with "whatever tiny number" you thought Lebron donated, not to mention the straw man on saying he's not the only athlete to donate.

First, a straw man is 'an intentionally misrepresented proposition that is set up because it is easier to defeat than an opponent's real argument'.

For example, if you said that LeBron was a very good role model and I said, "A society where sports stars are viewed as role models will result in students never learning to become doctors or teachers," would be a straw man. Saying that other athletes donate to charity is a 'mitigant' -- I'm assuaging the credit LeBron gets by pointing out that he's not unique in this regard.

Second, I never argued that the man couldn't afford a 30k square foot house because obviously he has. My point is that is vastly more space than a family needs and it's completely unnecessary -- it's a massive waste to build, maintain, heat and cool a palace like that. 'Don't use more than you need,' shouldn't be a difficult concept to understand.

Third, while I appreciate your Googling specifics of LeBron's charitable contributions (and I'm sincere -- I do appreciate you putting the effort to find out facts rather than resorting to unsubstantiated generalities), saying that LeBron's foundation plans to do something that will total $40m over it's lifetime doesn't prove that LeBron is spending more than 1% of his income on charity.

a) Maverick Carter has claimed that LeBron's contract with Nike is >$1b. James' lifetime NBA earnings could be >$300m. He'll earn hundreds of millions in other endorsements, business deals, investments, etc. Even after tax, LeBron will probably end up with lifetime earnings of well over one billion
b) Just because it's LeBron's foundation doesn't mean that he's the only contributor. Nike, for example, may donate. Friends may donate -- we don't know what % LeBron will contribute

Given that, did I undershoot with 1%? Almost certainly, so I'll retract that statement. Based on what you posted, my guess is he's closer to 5%. But given LeBron's public desire to own an NBA team, it's clear that he's intent on amassing a fortune, not donating one.

None of this is a bad thing -- this isn't meant as a criticism -- my only point was there are many more people who give back in larger ways, let's celebrate them more. It's funny that people are getting so upset that I said a MSF doctor was more admirable than LeBron James. Should I take I retract that statement, too?
“I pretty much played the last three games with a broken hand,” James said as he sat there with a softcast on the right hand.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,175

Post#94 » by og15 » Fri Jun 9, 2017 10:15 pm

I don't consider any athletes to be role models for kids, I personally discourage it, but it will happen, so out of athletes, he's fine
ISayshowmee
Veteran
And1: 1,696

Post#95 » by ISayshowmee » Fri Jun 9, 2017 10:16 pm

I am a long time Lakers' fan and likewise a Kobe fan.

I became a Lebron fan simply because he lives a clean life. No extra-marital affairs, no drugs, no alcohol related news. Lots of temptations are there for a high profile athlete like LeBron, yet he has managed to stay clean.

Secondly, he went back to Cleveland. He went back for the sole purpose of delivering a title to Cleveland. No matter how you cut it, this was a noble act. Could not be sny happier last year for the city of Cleveland !!

He is definitely a great role model.

Now.......let us get back to the question why Lebron will never be The Goat...
Throwback24
RealGM
And1: 41,651

Post#96 » by Throwback24 » Fri Jun 9, 2017 10:18 pm

Z Cabarkapa wrote:
Throwback24 wrote:Only stars I look up to are the ones in the sky. I suggest you do the same.

Good for you.

Who hurt you?
Remember when’ is the lowest form of conversation.
Z Cabarkapa
Sophomore
And1: 132

Post#97 » by Z Cabarkapa » Fri Jun 9, 2017 10:28 pm

Throwback24 wrote:
Z Cabarkapa wrote:

Good for you.

Who hurt you?

Snide responses inspire snide responses, inspire snide responses, inspire snide responses...
Starboy
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,192

Post#98 » by Starboy » Fri Jun 9, 2017 10:39 pm

bmurph128 wrote:
Starboy wrote:
King of Canada wrote:You guys remember this from two years ago? Seems relevant to this discussion.

http://www.teach4real.com/2015/05/14/dear-steph-curry-now-that-you-are-mvp-please-dont-come-visit-my-high-school/

I didn't know you had to be poor to have a role model AND that you had to have been poor to be a role model :roll:

Steph is an amazing role model. One of the few athletes who is completely devoted to his family, never had any sketchy incidents, is amazing with fans, respectful to opponents etc. How he got to be the person that he is currently is none of that teacher's concern. If you want a speaker who "made it" after growing up in a rough neighborhood, say that and move on. This is a bull article and its kind of sad that this is the person who's supposed to teach and inspire all these poor kids day to day.

I don't disagree that Steph is a good role model, but I'm curious about the bolded - what do you notice about him that he is respectful to his opponents? I'm not saying he isn't, just curious what makes you say that he is.

I'm guessing you are referring to his showboaty manner of play. I don't think thats disrespectful but I can see how it could be annoying if you aren't a warriors fan/player.

But I'm talking about being a fair competitor. He never gives excuses, always shakes hands and congratulates opponents (one of the few who stayed after game 7 last year to shake Cavs players hands), etc.
KidPistol
Sixth Man
And1: 1,510

Post#99 » by KidPistol » Fri Jun 9, 2017 10:43 pm

Why wouldn't anyone vote no. He's a good husband, father, never been in trouble, never been arrested, never cheated the game, treats everyone with respect, and has donated almost as much money as he's made. I'm no LeBron/Cavs fan but off the court, the guy is class personified.
The scariest question in NBA history.

"Can Stephen Curry get better?"
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,156

Post#100 » by Edrees » Fri Jun 9, 2017 10:44 pm

I'm honestly not a fan of what makes his game so good (dominance based on driving to the rim, not an elite shooter) but off the court he's exactly what i want in all nba players, definitely the ideal role model.

how can you vote no when he puts hundreds of kids to college.

Return to The General Board