CSKA Moscow Offers Milos Teodosic Equal of NBA 5 Year $62.5 Million Contract

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Benedict_Boozer
RealGM
And1: 5,696

Re: CSKA Moscow Offers Milos Teodosic Equal of NBA 5 Year $62.5 Million Contract 

Post#21 » by Benedict_Boozer » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:55 am

I remember this guy in the olympics. Dude can play, his passing instincts and court IQ were NBA level no doubt.
LakerLegend
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Re: CSKA Moscow Offers Milos Teodosic Equal of NBA 5 Year $62.5 Million Contract 

Post#22 » by LakerLegend » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:56 am

SportsGuy8 wrote:The main reason why European (club) basketball isn't what it used to be is that several of the most basketball-crazed countries have serious economic problems, like Greece and Italy. Italian league, for example, used to be the best national league in Europe, but Italy still hasn't recovered from 2008 recession/economic crisis, with sports teams being hit hard (same in soccer).

Then you have several other teams like Olimpija and Cibona, that used to be quite competitive, but they had unrealistically bloated budgets, basically being state-sponsored (sponsored by companies that were majorly state-owned, including banks who gave them loans they couldn't repay). That's a model that simply wasn't able to hold up, especially when companies started getting privatized ...

The level of top European club basketball is probably going to get even worse now, with NBA having so much money to spend now after the recent TV deal. If Teo didn't have such major question marks (mostly defense; also age), even this big CSKA offer couldn't compete with what NBA teams would be offering him.

But surely the global talent pool should have been able to grow regardless of those factors?
SportsGuy8
Starter
And1: 1,050

Post#23 » by SportsGuy8 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:06 am

Lakerfan17 wrote:
SportsGuy8 wrote:The main reason why European (club) basketball isn't what it used to be is that several of the most basketball-crazed countries have serious economic problems, like Greece and Italy. Italian league, for example, used to be the best national league in Europe, but Italy still hasn't recovered from 2008 recession/economic crisis, with sports teams being hit hard (same in soccer).

Then you have several other teams like Olimpija and Cibona, that used to be quite competitive, but they had unrealistically bloated budgets, basically being state-sponsored (sponsored by companies that were majorly state-owned, including banks who gave them loans they couldn't repay). That's a model that simply wasn't able to hold up, especially when companies started getting privatized ...

The level of top European club basketball is probably going to get even worse now, with NBA having so much money to spend now after the recent TV deal. If Teo didn't have such major question marks (mostly defense; also age), even this big CSKA offer couldn't compete with what NBA teams would be offering him.

But surely the global talent pool should have been able to grow regardless of those factors?

Global, yes, especially long-term. While basketball might be losing in popularity in some of the former basketball-crazed countries, it's getting more and more popular in several countries where it wasn't in the past, like Finland, for example. But when it comes to popularity, having a big local team helps tremendously. Without it, interest quickly transitions to other sports. Young kids mostly like the sports where the most euphoria is at that moment.

We also need to differentiate the overall talent pool with club basketball. With less big teams, it's going to be that much easier for talented players to either quickly jump to the NBA, and/or go to teams like Real Madrid or Barcelona at a very young age, where they don't really get that many opportunities (Doncic is a rare exception).
baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,369

Post#24 » by baldur » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:13 am

Wow this would be by far the highest amount of money paid for a player per year in the entire European basketball history. It's truly crazy. There is a good chance it's not true. He makes 3 million euros a year which one of the highest salaries in Europe.
SportsGuy8
Starter
And1: 1,050

Post#25 » by SportsGuy8 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:19 am

Benedict_Boozer wrote:I remember this guy in the olympics. Dude can play, his passing instincts and court IQ were NBA level no doubt.

I disagree that his passing instincts are NBA level ... They're above the NBA level! ;)

Personally I think he would kill it in a Steve Nash type of a role. I actually think that offensively, he would benefit tremendously by NBA rules and bigger court, so put him on any offense-oriented team and he's going to be great ... offensively.

But those very same rules are also going to expose him defensively. He's already a terrible defender in Europe, where defenders are actually allowed to defend properly. What is he going to do in the NBA, where offensive players have a massive advantage (no travel on first step, no hand checking, more space with bigger courts ...)?
tarantism
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,146

Post#26 » by tarantism » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:23 am

Teo can play. Dude can space the floor with a reliable shot and has excellent court vision. One of my favorite players. Good for him, I am glad he is getting paid. That guard combo of Teo and de Colo at CSKA is a lot to handle for anybody.
Melo and amare should thrive in this offense. If Jeremy Tyler and cole Aldridge looked that good in summer league then us knick fans have a lot to be excited about. Make room for all the bandwagoners when we take off
GM Wotsup
Junior
And1: 272

Post#27 » by GM Wotsup » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:22 am

Conley is top notch.
Johnny Firpo
RealGM
And1: 8,689

Post#28 » by Johnny Firpo » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:40 am

Prez wrote:This seems like a fitting time to point out that one of the best players in Europe, Spanoulis, was utter trash in the NBA.

He played in 31 games. What about that Ginobili kid? He did alright.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,784

Re: RE: Re: CSKA Moscow Offers Milos Teodosic Equal of NBA 5 Year $62.5 Million Contract 

Post#29 » by UcanUwill » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:44 am

Lakerfan17 wrote:
ISB wrote:
Lakerfan17 wrote:Has the Euroleague gotten a lot better competitively speaking compared to say, 10 years ago?

I'm not an expert on this, but I don't think so. The euroleague was quite good 10 years ago. In my opinion European basketball has plateued in general. Don't get me wrong, it is still a solid level of play, but I don't think that it is gaining ground on the NBA.

Sent from my Pixel XL using RealGM mobile app

Kind of surprising considering how there's almost limitless room for international talent growth.

We debated this in the past. Mirotic12 believes the level of competition is much better now. I personally dont think so. Euroleague 10-14 years ago already was pretty good, I dont think much changed. I Am talking specifically about Turkish airlines Euroleague. European club basketball in general tho got deeper and more competitive for sure. There are more teams now that can challenge Euroleague level in domestic competitions. Turkish league got much better, VTB league is great, Lithuanian league still has one powerhouse, but new competitive teams emerged. Heading to right direction I would say.

Speaking about Teodosic, I really want to see him in the NBA, and this is the year to get him. If he resigns with red army club, its over, he is never coming.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#30 » by UcanUwill » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:47 am

Benedict_Boozer wrote:I remember this guy in the olympics. Dude can play, his passing instincts and court IQ were NBA level no doubt.

Thats selling him short.
Sir Psycho Sexy
Senior
And1: 502

Post#31 » by Sir Psycho Sexy » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:45 am

Prez wrote:
miamiheat319 wrote:From what I've heard (I don't really follow European basketball), this guy is one of the best players in Europe right now, getting paid $12 million a year, and you have average players like Mike Conley here getting $30 million a year. That's crazy to me.

This seems like a fitting time to point out that one of the best players in Europe, Spanoulis, was utter trash in the NBA.

Spanoulis is only good when he is number one guy on the court and he played like 30 games with 6 minutes average in NBA. You can't even say that he was an utter trash when he didn't even get a chance to show what he can do

Guys that don't know him HAVE to watch this video. That behind the back pass against USA when Bogdanovic couldn't hit a 3 :( Pass at 1:55 is still one of the best I've seen in a professional game

ps I'm so glad that 2 of the best passers on this planet are from Serbia :lol: Too bad Teodosic can't play decent defense, he would've been a star in NBA. Right now I can see him as a decent starter (which isn't bad at all really)
Veyron
Senior
And1: 509

Post#32 » by Veyron » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:56 am

Well, Imlact wise Teodosic would be something like Satoransky in NBA.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#33 » by UcanUwill » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:59 am

Veyron wrote:Well, Imlact wise Teodosic would be something like Satoransky in NBA.

Give me a break...
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#34 » by UcanUwill » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:03 pm

Worth to mention that official offer is 6 million Euros a year, not 12. Mirotic12 claims to know all the net, not net calculations, but I question his math. If its closer to 7 M dollars a year, NBA teams would be foolish not to match that.
Veyron
Senior
And1: 509

Post#35 » by Veyron » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:10 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
Veyron wrote:Well, Imlact wise Teodosic would be something like Satoransky in NBA.

Give me a break...

Well he is very bad (lack) in 2 things crucial for NBA.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#36 » by UcanUwill » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:12 pm

Veyron wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:

Give me a break...

Well he is very bad (lack) in 2 things crucial for NBA.

He is very bad defender, but for a PG, thats not a game breaker weakness. He is also 6'5 so you can easily hide him on weaker wings. What is the second weakness of his you speak off?
LakerLegend
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#37 » by LakerLegend » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:19 pm

Sir Psycho Sexy wrote:
Prez wrote:
miamiheat319 wrote:From what I've heard (I don't really follow European basketball), this guy is one of the best players in Europe right now, getting paid $12 million a year, and you have average players like Mike Conley here getting $30 million a year. That's crazy to me.

This seems like a fitting time to point out that one of the best players in Europe, Spanoulis, was utter trash in the NBA.

Spanoulis is only good when he is number one guy on the court and he played like 30 games with 6 minutes average in NBA. You can't even say that he was an utter trash when he didn't even get a chance to show what he can do

Guys that don't know him HAVE to watch this video. That behind the back pass against USA when Bogdanovic couldn't hit a 3 :( Pass at 1:55 is still one of the best I've seen in a professional game

ps I'm so glad that 2 of the best passers on this planet are from Serbia :lol: Too bad Teodosic can't play decent defense, he would've been a star in NBA. Right now I can see him as a decent starter (which isn't bad at all really)

That pass starting at 15 seconds :o :o :o
spaceballer
Head Coach
And1: 2,707

Post#38 » by spaceballer » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:01 pm

WhateverBro wrote:

1. Conley is not average.
2. Conley would smoke Teodosic.

Also, Conley plays defense and became a key part of Grit 'n' Grind.

Teodosic is notorious for poor defense even in the much less athletic league in Europe. He would get exploited by the bigger, faster, and more athletic players in the NBA if he can't even defend in Europe.

Players have had good international play, like Bojan Bogdonavic's Olympic outing last summer, who then didn't see that performance entirely translate in the NBA season.

I would taken a proven NBA PG like Conley who actually plays defense over him and it isn't even close.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,383

Re: RE: Re: CSKA Moscow Offers Milos Teodosic Equal of NBA 5 Year $62.5 Million Contract 

Post#39 » by JonFromVA » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:15 pm

Lakerfan17 wrote:
ISB wrote:
Lakerfan17 wrote:Has the Euroleague gotten a lot better competitively speaking compared to say, 10 years ago?

I'm not an expert on this, but I don't think so. The euroleague was quite good 10 years ago. In my opinion European basketball has plateued in general. Don't get me wrong, it is still a solid level of play, but I don't think that it is gaining ground on the NBA.

Kind of surprising considering how there's almost limitless room for international talent growth.

How could it be otherwise as long as the NBA is able to come in and skim the cream of talent off the top of the league?

It's kind of like the NCAA, there's a ton of teams and a ton of players - which spreads out the talent; but even with the few "super schools" that get the top prospects they still wouldn't be able to compete in the NBA if they continued to constantly lose their top-players and especially their top-athletes.
mixerball
Veteran
And1: 2,276

Post#40 » by mixerball » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:29 pm

ISB wrote:

thats right. you are no expert. europe is as competitive as its ever been. europe will never gain ground phisically. but skillwise you could argue its ahead of nba.

Return to The General Board