Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Re: NBA 2017 Draft Prospects Thread 

Post#981 » by KqWIN » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:03 pm

pickIBL wrote:
KqWIN wrote:
pickIBL wrote:Jazz draft at the bottom of the 1st and in the 2nd. Favors on the block. And no talk of swanigan?

If you're drafting at the bottom of the 1st and in the 2nd the people being replaced are the ones at the end of the bench.

Maybe the first year says gobert, dray, marc gasol, rodman etc

Maybe every year says 90% of the guys drafted there. The reason those guys are special is because it rarely happens. The Jazz will have done a good job this draft if they get one player who makes it past their rookie deal.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#982 » by KqWIN » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:10 pm

stitches wrote:
KqWIN wrote:
I don't think Lauri and Monk have very many moves. Better physical attributes, but nowhere near the craft/skill as Kennard.

Lauri has 1.25ppp in the halfcourt. He scores in variety of ways. He shoots it off the dribble, on the catch, off screens off handoffs... anyway you can think of. This is extremely translatable. He can be a 7 footer running through screens and shooting off screens. He also has some post-moves, but didn't have the strength to dominate there and establish great position, although his technique for sealing defenders was actually pretty good IMO. He shoots it turning over both shoulders on a turnaround jumper too. He has some spin moves that are nice. I think he has better moves than Porzingis coming into the draft. Defensively he's nowhere near the player POrzingis is, but I can see him having similar offensive impact to Porzingis(with better shooting). Weirdly enough Lauri is probably better defending on the perimeter than in the low post where he lacks physicality and length to contest shots.

Don't get me wrong, Lauri is very good at what he does. It is translatable, but I don't think he can create shots. Kennard's moves might not work in the NBA, but if they do, he can be a special scorer. I don't see Lauri becoming that player.
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Post#983 » by pickIBL » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:14 pm

Reckless wrote:
pickIBL wrote:Jazz draft at the bottom of the 1st and in the 2nd. Favors on the block. And no talk of swanigan?

I like Swanigan's NBA readiness, I think he's a guy that can contribute right away. Certainly a more interesting prospect than some other guys being mentioned

Both swanigan and burton are too heavy which just adds to the intrigue and potential.
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#984 » by KqWIN » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:28 pm

For me, shooting off the dribble has become the most valuable skill in the NBA. Kennard is better at that than anyone in the draft, so despite his glaring weakness and question marks I feel good about him and his potential.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,424

Post#985 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:22 am

stitches wrote:
GobertReport wrote:Can he play the 4? Seems like the player we hoped Favors would be, his shot looks very promising but I imagine Lyles shot looked promising as well in draft workouts.

He says he wants to play 4, but I don't know...

He's 6'10 and weighs 250lbs. Seems like a prototypical NBA 4. Don't know much about him, though--why wouldn't he be able to play PF?
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,194

Post#986 » by Catchall » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:06 am

I think Bam can replace what Favors has been giving us by the end of his rookie year. Watch him defend the pick and roll next to Rudy and you'll smile. Plus, he'll hit 18-footers.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,194

Post#987 » by Catchall » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:07 am

The thing that's unique about Bam is his quick feet for a guy that size.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#988 » by KqWIN » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:08 am

Am I the only one who wants Bam to set good screens and dunk the ball? Him wanting to be a stretch big is what gives me drawbacks. I don't think he has much value playing alongside another C.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#989 » by stitches » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:59 am

Inigo Montoya wrote:
stitches wrote:
GobertReport wrote:Can he play the 4? Seems like the player we hoped Favors would be, his shot looks very promising but I imagine Lyles shot looked promising as well in draft workouts.

He says he wants to play 4, but I don't know...

He's 6'10 and weighs 250lbs. Seems like a prototypical NBA 4. Don't know much about him, though--why wouldn't he be able to play PF?

KqWIN wrote:Am I the only one who wants Bam to set good screens and dunk the ball? Him wanting to be a stretch big is what gives me drawbacks. I don't think he has much value playing alongside another C.

^this is how i felt initially and that's why I didn't think he is best utilized as a 4, but watching his workout - it's possible just like with pretty much every big Cal might have hidden big part of his game and he might be more comfortable shooting and stretching the floor than I initially thought.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#990 » by KqWIN » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:06 am

stitches wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:
stitches wrote:He says he wants to play 4, but I don't know...

KqWIN wrote:Am I the only one who wants Bam to set good screens and dunk the ball? Him wanting to be a stretch big is what gives me drawbacks. I don't think he has much value playing alongside another C.

^this is how i felt initially and that's why I didn't think he is best utilized as a 4, but watching his workout - it's possible just like with pretty much every big Cal might have hidden big part of his game and he might be more comfortable shooting and stretching the floor than I initially thought.

I wouldn't want him to play 4 regardless of his shooting ability. If he can shoot, it's still better that he's a 5.
stitches
RealGM

Post#991 » by stitches » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:54 am

KqWIN wrote:I wouldn't want him to play 4 regardless of his shooting ability. If he can shoot, it's still better that he's a 5.

Well in a random situation - yes he would have more use as a 5, but we have the best 5 in the league. The question is - if we have him on our roster where he would play... I guess if we lose Favors, Bam would take the backup 5 minutes + some minutes at the 4.
stitches
RealGM

Post#992 » by stitches » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:56 am

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=44697204&nid=304&title=video-walt-perrin-discusses-the-jazz-and-the-2017-nba-draft&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

Walt Perrin on TV talking about the draft.

He had high praise for Kuzma. Shot lights out in our workout it seems. High praise for Jawun Evans - compared him to CP3 stylistically.
Winglish
Analyst
And1: 1,302

Post#993 » by Winglish » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:45 pm

stitches wrote:http://www.ksl.com/?sid=44697204&nid=304&title=video-walt-perrin-discusses-the-jazz-and-the-2017-nba-draft&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

He had high praise for Kuzma. Shot lights out in our workout it seems. High praise for Jawun Evans - compared him to CP3 stylistically.

I actually agree that Jawun Evans is stylistically a lot like Chris Paul with the ball in his hands on the offensive end. They have similar body movements and a knack for the pass. That is where the comparison ends. Chris Paul is a superb defender- smart, active, aggressive...Jawun Evans is not like Chris Paul on the defensive end of the court.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#994 » by sipclip » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:45 pm

The thing I really like about Evans is that he is always pushing the ball. He doesn't walk it up the court constantly like we have seen from pretty much every other pg we have had in the last 5 years. In this sense stylistically he reminds me of Ty Lawson. I don't think he is as quick as Ty Lawson was though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using RealGM mobile app
UTJazzFan_Echo1
Lead Assistant
And1: 279

Post#995 » by UTJazzFan_Echo1 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:08 pm

Winglish wrote:
stitches wrote:http://www.ksl.com/?sid=44697204&nid=304&title=video-walt-perrin-discusses-the-jazz-and-the-2017-nba-draft&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

I actually agree that Jawun Evans is stylistically a lot like Chris Paul with the ball in his hands on the offensive end. They have similar body movements and a knack for the pass. That is where the comparison ends. Chris Paul is a superb defender- smart, active, aggressive...Jawun Evans is not like Chris Paul on the defensive end of the court.

I'd disagree about the defense.

CP3 is a gambler on defense that goes for steals. That's pretty much what Evans does too.
Jerry Sloan >>>>>>>> Everything else.
Winglish
Analyst
And1: 1,302

Post#996 » by Winglish » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:47 pm

UTJazzFan_Echo1 wrote:
Winglish wrote:

CP3 is a gambler on defense that goes for steals. That's pretty much what Evans does too.

Chris Paul is MUCH more physical! He bodies guys up and is grabbing somebody the entire defensive possession. CP3 should foul out of every game within the first few minutes but the refs don't actually ref to the rules.
UTJazzFan_Echo1
Lead Assistant
And1: 279

Post#997 » by UTJazzFan_Echo1 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:08 pm

Winglish wrote:
UTJazzFan_Echo1 wrote:
Winglish wrote:

Chris Paul is MUCH more physical! He bodies guys up and is grabbing somebody the entire defensive possession. CP3 should foul out of every game within the first few minutes but the refs don't actually ref to the rules.

Right now? Sure. But not when he was coming out of college.
Jerry Sloan >>>>>>>> Everything else.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#998 » by KqWIN » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:20 pm

Chris Paul was handchecking out of the womb. He always knew how to play dirty.
stitches
RealGM

Post#999 » by stitches » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:48 am

New DX mock: Jazz get Lydon, Bradley, Motley, Morris... I threw up in my mouth.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,015

Post#1000 » by SoCalJazzFan » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:11 pm

stitches wrote:New DX mock: Jazz get Lydon, Bradley, Motley, Morris... I threw up in my mouth.

I threw up in my mouth when I read your message.

However, the Jazz had nice things to say about Bradley when he worked out, and he could possibly be a Favors replacement/backup center. They do need shooting, and Lydon probably fits that bill. So it is feasible that the Jazz draft these guys, but I would certainly prefer others.

Return to Utah Jazz