Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

guille_4
Sixth Man
And1: 845

Semi Ojeleye 

Post#1 » by guille_4 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:13 pm

What's your take on Semi Ojeleye?

After struggling to get minute sin Duke he redshirted the 2015-2016 season and has had a great season at SMU.

He has played as stretch 4 this season but DraftExpress classifies him as a SF/PF. Do you think he can play SF in the NBA? I'm not sure whether DE has done does because he's clearly undersized for a PF or because he can actually play SF.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Semi-Ojeleye-7164/ ©DraftExpress

Physical profile:
6'7 with a 6'10 wingspan
Chisseled 241 pound frame
35 no step vertical and 40'5 max vert

Scoring numbers:
19 points per game
52.9% 2PT%
42.4% 3PT% @4.9 attempts per game
78.5% FT% @6.3 attempts per game
Novocaine
Veteran
And1: 1,584

Re: Semi Ojeleye 

Post#2 » by Novocaine » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:08 pm

Undersized 4 only, IMO. Can do a very good job guarding wings on switches, certain matchups with big slower wings, but definitely not a full-time option. Slow getting off the floor, so expect subpar rebounding. Good screener. Only a 4th/5th option on offense. Good midrnage jumper. Not sure if he'll develop a good NBA 3 point shot - he has slow mechanics. No left hand, below the rim finisher that will struggle in the NBA. Tough guy who rarely makes mistakes, I woul be surprised if he doesn't have a long career as a modest starter or bench player. Reminds me of Udonis Haslem, Kurt Thomas, etc.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#3 » by Prokorov » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:30 pm

ive been begging the nets to draft him since the season ended. love the dude. dont care if he is a 3 or 4. he can ball
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 911

Post#4 » by retrobro90 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:47 pm

Novocaine wrote:Undersized 4 only, IMO. Can do a very good job guarding wings on switches, certain matchups with big slower wings, but definitely not a full-time option. Slow getting off the floor, so expect subpar rebounding. Good screener. Only a 4th/5th option on offense. Good midrnage jumper. Not sure if he'll develop a good NBA 3 point shot - he has slow mechanics. No left hand, below the rim finisher that will struggle in the NBA. Tough guy who rarely makes mistakes, I woul be surprised if he doesn't have a long career as a modest starter or bench player. Reminds me of Udonis Haslem, Kurt Thomas, etc.

Agree with most of this except I think he'll be pretty decent on the glass, especially the O boards. He's undersized but in space he's got a real nose for the ball. Also think his shot is compact and shouldn't be any slower of a release than the majority of stretch 4's. Most concerning thing for me is that he often plays with his head down and gets lost in traffic. He needs to learn how to make plays on the move or how to be effective overall when he's not looking to score.
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,407

Post#5 » by Blazinaway » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:52 pm

I like him and have for a while, if his shooting holds up he's a steal IMO in the late 20's
dukes_wild
RealGM
And1: 50,145

Post#6 » by dukes_wild » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:20 am

Really dislike him as a prospect, to me he doesn't have any NBA-level skills
Geddy wrote:You're probably scratching your balls and eating cheese puffs

Ice Trae wrote:Is it just me or does Derrick Rose look like Jean Claude Van Damme
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#7 » by The_Hater » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:19 am

The plus is he's athletic, he can pass and he can shoot a bit.

The negative is he has quite a bit of Derrick Williams in his game. Doesn't seem instinctive. Might be a tweener.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Novocaine
Veteran
And1: 1,584

Post#8 » by Novocaine » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:04 pm

retrobro90 wrote:
Novocaine wrote:Undersized 4 only, IMO. Can do a very good job guarding wings on switches, certain matchups with big slower wings, but definitely not a full-time option. Slow getting off the floor, so expect subpar rebounding. Good screener. Only a 4th/5th option on offense. Good midrnage jumper. Not sure if he'll develop a good NBA 3 point shot - he has slow mechanics. No left hand, below the rim finisher that will struggle in the NBA. Tough guy who rarely makes mistakes, I woul be surprised if he doesn't have a long career as a modest starter or bench player. Reminds me of Udonis Haslem, Kurt Thomas, etc.

Agree with most of this except I think he'll be pretty decent on the glass, especially the O boards. He's undersized but in space he's got a real nose for the ball. Also think his shot is compact and shouldn't be any slower of a release than the majority of stretch 4's. Most concerning thing for me is that he often plays with his head down and gets lost in traffic. He needs to learn how to make plays on the move or how to be effective overall when he's not looking to score.

As for rebounding, he seems to be more of a guy who rebounds his own area to me. He'll be better offensively, especially against teams bad at boxing out because of his motor and hustle. But he was often the last man leaving the floor in college and won't be different in the NBA. The 3pt shot - he's not a 7ft stretch4. He's short, doesnt' elevate much and doesn't have wing like quickness firing up. Look at his shots carefully and you'll see how he leans back and fades away when the shot is being contested. In the NBA, that will happen far more often, especially if he starts making them. So I'm confident he'll be a deadly jumpshooter from midrange and longrange 2s (teams don't bother to contest them tightly), but not sure about the 3. Yeah, he's a bit of a ball-stopper when facing up and just tries to bulldoze his way to the rim. But I don't think that's going to be part of his game in the NBA. He lacks dribble moves or any advanced movements, as I said he only has a right hand. He'll be a guy who attacks close otus and open spaces, but his coach will quickly tell him to cut that crap and just make simple passes in most of those occasions.

Return to NBA Draft