Official D'Angelo Russell Thread 

Post#1 » by Prokorov » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:13 am

Welcome the newest net - D'Angelo Russell

Claud
Sixth Man
And1: 872

Re: Official D'Angelo Russell Thread 

Post#2 » by Claud » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:17 am

This guy has star potential and is very talented. It will come down to how hard he's willing to work for it and how much he's willing to sacrifice to become great. I see similar skills to a young James Harden.
Ror1997
Analyst
And1: 911

Post#3 » by Ror1997 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:18 am

If I wake up in the morning, and this thread doesn't exist, and none of this happened I'm going to be pissed. I'm talking Laker fans after trading DLo for Lopez levels of pissed.
jbeachboy
Assistant Coach
And1: 359

Post#4 » by jbeachboy » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:21 am

SHALL we call him d lo? Im wondering if he will play the sg position with lin here or will they allow him to run point guard with lin at sg?
FlipFlopShot
Pro Prospect
And1: 330

Post#5 » by FlipFlopShot » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:24 am

jbeachboy wrote:SHALL we call him d lo? Im wondering if he will play the sg position with lin here or will they allow him to run point guard with lin at sg?

Danger Gelo
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#6 » by Prokorov » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:25 am

I've said this about Reddick when he was being discussed.... there are guys who hit threes (crabbe) and then there are guys who hit threes at high volume and off screens and off the dribble. the ladder is VERY rare and creates alot more space.

Russell only needs and inch of space and is deadly. he isnt just catch and shoot. off screens he gets an opening and its wet. off pick and rolls he gets an opening and its wet.

whats that all mean?

-On ball screens the big has to cheat out on the baseline. leads to alot of easy back door dunks for our bigmen.
-On high pick and rolls they cant trail they have to trap him. leads to 4 on 3 for us. you see this all the time with curry (not saying he is curry)

Russell just being on the floor changes a ton for us on offense. more room for lin. more easy buckets for RHJ.
jtsmith
Junior
And1: 87

Post#7 » by jtsmith » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:31 am

definitely many more offensive options. could potentially make it a fringe playoff team
Mosdefinition
Senior
And1: 116

Post#8 » by Mosdefinition » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:35 am

jtsmith wrote:definitely many more offensive options. could potentially make it a fringe playoff team

Wooh there slow down buddy
Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,053

Post#9 » by Netaman » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:37 am

The body type isn't a match but he's got a little bit of Paul Pierce in his game. Minimal elevation on the 3 ball, able to get by people without explosive acceleration, mid range pull ups and floaters. Will be fun to see how his game develops under Atkinson.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#10 » by Paradise » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:53 am

Keep in mind, our shooting coach is KD's former shooting coach from Oklahoma.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#11 » by NyCeEvO » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:10 am

I'm just going to paste the substantive part of what I said in the official trade thread to here as my thoughts are still the same:

NyCeEvO wrote:Heading into the draft Russell was rated as having the highest boom/bust potential and I could see it the moment that he steps on the court.

Pros: He's got moxie and isn't afraid of the big moment. He's got a lot of raw talent. He's already a decent, high volume 3pt shooter who doesn't need much time nor space to get his shot off. He has court vision, which he wasn't really able to display in LA.

Cons: He's turnover prone and more confident in his abilities than he should be at his level. He's got the personality of a star even though he's barely a starter. Obviously, he has character issues and has more low IQ moments than he should.

The unknown variable is his potential.

Russell isn't unathletic but he looks like he could be so much more fit than he currently is. He needs to come into Brooklyn with the desire to work. Many people would be surprised to see how much improving one's athleticism by just a bit can help one execute more moves, blow by more players, and become a more dynamic player.

Tons of players talk about playing with a chip on their shoulder but few seem to know how to not let it get to their head.

I want to see Russell hit the gym like Levert, Goodwin, Whitehead, and RHJ are doing. Less talk, more work.

If he works hard, Russell will make people forget about giving up a 27th pick.
If he doesn't, it will be something that will bother people.
jbeachboy
Assistant Coach
And1: 359

Post#12 » by jbeachboy » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:00 am

this is more exciting with this trade to see the new look nets, cant wait for the season to start again!
Dajadeed
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,643

Post#13 » by Dajadeed » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:23 am

I'm a highly agitated Lakers fan. You guys have someone with VERY high upside. If Russell puts it all together he is easily a star in this league.

Personally I wanted him as untouchable along with Ingram. He is that good.
john248
Starter
And1: 651

Post#14 » by john248 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:02 am

Lakers fan here. I was happy when Russell was drafted and overall satisfied thus far. The bad, he's immature and lacks leadership. A part of me feels it's not a big deal as he's a 22 year old kid. But he'll likely mature but I doubt he'll be the guy to lead a team. I don't see him as a player who will draw a ton of fouls either. Thus, it makes it much more important for him to be a very good 3 point shooter, to find scoring opportunities in transition, and off-ball. He's got good handles, but he's got it in him to further improve on his handles to break down defenders, take better angles, and vary his speed (already much improved). This last sentence, I have no doubt he will accomplish with more experience and practice. In 2 to 4 years, he'll be really fun to watch. By that 3rd or 4th year, possibly an all-star calibre player as he'll be entering his prime.
At the very least, we're talking about a starter level player who will be a better 3 point shooter than he is today, who can pass the ball, and find ways to score. That is a good player to have even if he doesn't hit that potential. But he'll probably meet expectations. By the time Russell hits his stride, Mosgov will be off the books. And scoring Russell now is a nice gain given Boston has your pick.
The Last Word
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 35,862

Post#15 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:09 am

very excited to have him here!!
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 35,862

Post#16 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:13 am

Netaman wrote:The body type isn't a match but he's got a little bit of Paul Pierce in his game. Minimal elevation on the 3 ball, able to get by people without explosive acceleration, mid range pull ups and floaters. Will be fun to see how his game develops under Atkinson.

BOOM.

This is exactly what I've thought about him even before we traded for him (but i have repeatedly said, if we do a salary dump deal with LA, he has to be included).

he is slow and methodical with long arms, like paul pierce. just shorter, with a mean pull up j. one of those hard jumpers that go in at a good clip but hammers the back end of the rim before going down

this kid can play.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Rafly
Starter
And1: 10,501

Post#17 » by Rafly » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:07 am

Great trade. Kid has star potential. He was Markell Fultz 2 years ago. Glad the Nets made this trade because they really needed to come out of this offseason with a high potential player hopefully more. But they are off to a great start.
PG13
Starter
And1: 845

Post#18 » by PG13 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:14 am

Talented kid, will add some colours to our boring "character-guys" roster for sure.

I don't think KA can tame him though.
enko
Junior
And1: 201

Post#19 » by enko » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:45 am

PG13 wrote:Talented kid, will add some colours to our boring "character-guys" roster for sure.

I don't think KA can tame him though.

I don't like a colorful guy that won't contribute to success. I rather have a boring guy that help win games. Nick Young is colorful guy in Lakers, but his impact for team success is minimal.
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,831

Post#20 » by Vae Victus » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:26 am

I think DLo just got a wakeup call on his place in the league. He was a hot shot #2 pick with people gushing how he had superstar potential under the bright lights of LA. Then he got shat by the media after his whole snitching incidnet with SwaggyP. Now his value was so low he was just the sweetener to get rid of Mozgov. If he comes in with a hot **** attitude the BRK organization is gonna give him a reality check.

Lin is gonna give him the business every day in practice, and if Dlo one day wants to be "the man" or at least a real leader, then he better walk the walk, cuz he sure as **** loves to talk. I totally see Kenny laying down the law on DLo and its gonna be a test of character to see how he'll respond.

If he mans up and put his nose to the grindstone and works hard without acting out he can go far with this team.

It'll do the kid good to have good role models around him rather than the circus that was the Lakers. The Showtime Mafia really did a number on the kid''s head.

Return to Brooklyn Nets