Frank Jackson

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,854

Re: Frank Jackson 

Post#81 » by MotownMadness » Fri May 26, 2017 3:23 pm

Seriously though look at his crossover and first step throughout this highlight video. I feel like he's going to be a good NBA player. He can get into the lane in a split second. (Watch 1:50-2:10 at least)

doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#82 » by doordoor123 » Fri May 26, 2017 10:54 pm

MotownMadness wrote:Seriously though look at his crossover and first step throughout this highlight video. I feel like he's going to be a good NBA player. He can get into the lane in a split second. (Watch 1:50-2:10 at least)

I think so too. I also think everyone's argument against him stems from the fact that he was a freshman and most of the time Kennard or Allen was handling the ball. I honestly think he could play pick and roll and be a better distributor than shown. He has well timed passes, I just think he's a scorer because he has been constantly trying to prove himself, which is why he didn't even second-guess himself going into the draft. He was probably trying to prove all year he wanted to get drafted.
baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,286

Post#83 » by baldur » Fri May 26, 2017 11:16 pm

what prevents him from being a top 15-20 pick? highlights are very impressive. I feel like he might be the steal of the draft.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,854

Post#84 » by MotownMadness » Fri May 26, 2017 11:25 pm

baldur wrote:what prevents him from being a top 15-20 pick? highlights are very impressive. I feel like he might be the steal of the draft.

I think basically what doordoor123 was just saying.
goober
GOTB's Cancun
And1: 5,957

Post#85 » by goober » Fri May 26, 2017 11:27 pm

baldur wrote:what prevents him from being a top 15-20 pick? highlights are very impressive. I feel like he might be the steal of the draft.

I think it's just his limited minutes at Duke if I'm being honest, even then he performed well when he played. Another thing is the "uncertainty" on exactly what position he needs to play in the NBA (Thats why i seen him being great fits with the Jazz and Bucks). I do see him ending up getting drafted in the top 20 (maybe even as high as 11!) His measurables have helped propel him.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#86 » by doordoor123 » Fri May 26, 2017 11:36 pm

Goober wrote:

I think it's just his limited minutes at Duke if I'm being honest, even then he performed well when he played. Another thing is the "uncertainty" on exactly what position he needs to play in the NBA (Thats why i seen him being great fits with the Jazz and Bucks). I do see him ending up getting drafted in the top 20 (maybe even as high as 11!) His measurables have helped propel him.

Yeah, that's the thing. He had a role and his role might not have been great for his image in terms of translating to the NBA. I think whoever takes him gets a steal. He also just seems like a smart kid who takes this seriously. I could see him in the G-League his first year just so he could get acclimated, but in the long run I think picking him would be worth it. After his surgery he didn't have a chance to work out with teams so I think his stock could take a hit just for not being available and I think teams want answers on if he can do other stuff, like defend. For that reason I think he's more late first/early second.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Post#87 » by Skin » Mon May 29, 2017 9:45 pm

He doesn't have pg skills. But maybe he will develop some?
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
goober
GOTB's Cancun

Post#88 » by goober » Tue May 30, 2017 1:10 am

Skin wrote:

He doesn't have pg skills. But maybe he will develop some?

I feel like he just hasn't had the opportunity to showcase them yet (but i am biased)

When he was the primary ball handler at Lone Peak he just really didn't have a team surrounding him that could contribute as much as he could, at Duke, from my understanding Coach K never really used Frank as a primary ball handler and primarily used him as an off ball scorer? Maybe a Duke fan can clarify for me.

I think Frank has a lot more in the toolshed that he hasn't been able to showcase yet based on the circumstances he's been in. I feel like his court vision and ball handling will end up fine in the NBA!

I do agree he can get tunnel vision which is something that needs to be worked on
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#89 » by GimmeDat » Tue May 30, 2017 1:21 am

I think he has PG skills. Not a true distributor, but how many in the league are right now?

Reminds me of George Hill. Just a solid all-around performer for the position.
Osirus89
Starter
And1: 2,016

Post#90 » by Osirus89 » Tue May 30, 2017 2:16 am

GimmeDat wrote:I think he has PG skills. Not a true distributor, but how many in the league are right now?

Reminds me of George Hill. Just a solid all-around performer for the position.

Agree 100%. Since Nash retired, there is really only Chris Paul left as a traditional point guard. Maybe mike Conley? Every other team has a SG masquerading as a PG. Harden moved down a position for crying out loud.

You can't fault teams for doing it though, because it works. Not a single one of the playoff teams this season besides LAC had a true "point guard".

Oops I forgot rondo. That makes 2 of 16 :)
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,354

Post#91 » by M-C-G » Tue May 30, 2017 9:19 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Prez wrote:Why is this guy mocked so low (39 on DX currently). He has great physical tools and his skill-set as a score first guy with good range but also good defensive upside would fit in really well with Milwaukee. Even his lack of true point guard playmaking isn't a big deal with guys like Giannis, Middleton, Brogdon on the roster. I just don't see why this guy isn't higher on some boards.

Ive been saying since before the season that I think Milwaukee can be a perfect fit for him. Wouldnt have to be the primary facilitator right away because of Giannis but he can be a really good scorer from all 3 levels and can defend. I think hes the perfect PG to compliment Giannis.

It also all depends on who youre listening to when it comes to his position, DX has him mid 2nd while guys like Fran Frachilla has been saying since the start of the combine that hes hearing he can go as early as in the lottery. Im sure teams are going to fall in love with him during the interviews and his workouts. Great athleticism and shooting and scoring tends to translate pretty well in workouts.

I could see him playing the "Bayless role" really effectively with the Bucks. As in shooting open 3s, take it to the paint when it is there and occasionally making something happen late in the clock. It'd be a damn near perfect fit and then you still have all the upside as he has time to grow his game.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,314

Post#92 » by Duke4life831 » Tue May 30, 2017 9:31 pm

M-C-G wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Prez wrote:Why is this guy mocked so low (39 on DX currently). He has great physical tools and his skill-set as a score first guy with good range but also good defensive upside would fit in really well with Milwaukee. Even his lack of true point guard playmaking isn't a big deal with guys like Giannis, Middleton, Brogdon on the roster. I just don't see why this guy isn't higher on some boards.

Ive been saying since before the season that I think Milwaukee can be a perfect fit for him. Wouldnt have to be the primary facilitator right away because of Giannis but he can be a really good scorer from all 3 levels and can defend. I think hes the perfect PG to compliment Giannis.

It also all depends on who youre listening to when it comes to his position, DX has him mid 2nd while guys like Fran Frachilla has been saying since the start of the combine that hes hearing he can go as early as in the lottery. Im sure teams are going to fall in love with him during the interviews and his workouts. Great athleticism and shooting and scoring tends to translate pretty well in workouts.

I could see him playing the "Bayless role" really effectively with the Bucks. As in shooting open 3s, take it to the paint when it is there and occasionally making something happen late in the clock. It'd be a damn near perfect fit and then you still have all the upside as he has time to grow his game.

Yup. I think Frank and Bayless are very similar coming out of college. Strong athletic guards that can shoot. I do think Frank is a little more agile and quicker than Bayless though. So I really am curious if Frank can become what many thought Bayless would become but never really did. But ya I think Frank and the Bucks are perfect fits for both sides. Frank can play the 1 defensively while basically playing a 2 offensively and not having to be the primary ball handler and facilitator. And The Bucks need a guy that can defend the 1 but can be an effective athletic scorer off the ball and still allow Giannis to have the ball in his hands.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,474

Post#93 » by LofJ » Wed May 31, 2017 2:09 am

If the Hornets can't trade back with Portland I'd be fine with taking him at 11. We need a reliable scorer off the bench that is big enough to share the court with Kemba for stretches (like we had with J Lin the season before last). I think he'd play well with both Kemba and Batum.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#94 » by KqWIN » Wed May 31, 2017 5:14 am

I'm high on Frank, but the PG skill questions are valid. It was a unique situation at Duke. He's a pure scorer, but pushed into more of game manager role by deferring to Tatum, Kennard, and Allen. He did a fine job, but he wasn't able to shine and was pushed towards the weaker part of his game.

To me he's a scoring guard. If he adds the PG skills, gravy...but that is not his meal ticket. The good thing for him is that the modern game doesn't demand a PG with strong traditional skills. It's all about the triggering the advantage off the dribble. He should be able to do that at the next level.
Osirus89
Starter
And1: 2,016

Post#95 » by Osirus89 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:37 pm

Looks like OKC will take Frank. I hope he can reach his potential with the Thunder, but I am perfectly happy with the pick.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,880
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#96 » by NO-KG-AI » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:54 am

Didn't follow him closely, but as a Pels fan, I like everything I read in this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
SFrush
Sixth Man
And1: 778

Post#97 » by SFrush » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:40 pm

Goober wrote:
SFrush wrote:Should have returned to Duke. He's headed to the second round.

Not at all! No way even with his foot surgery the Jazz don't draft him at 24 imo, there's not a pick that doesn't make more sense for them, local product, a guy who can be an offball scorer (huge need for us) defensive potential, and potential to become our PGOTF (could be in competition with Exum, which i think would be good for both cause I think they could actually play together with Hayward on the team)

There are more teams in front of the Jazz who I know are heavily intruiged by Frank.

Apparently they weren't that intrigued.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#98 » by doordoor123 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:22 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:Didn't follow him closely, but as a Pels fan, I like everything I read in this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

I like him for the Pelicans in terms of scoring from the wing, but he's not your answer a point guard if Holiday leaves.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,762

Post#99 » by Upperclass » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:35 pm

I maintain that he'll be one of the five best players from this draft.. probably as soon as this season if his injury doesnt keep him sidelined. Arenas was a 2nd round pick once as well. Odd that he fell, but draft was definitely stacked
goober
GOTB's Cancun

Post#100 » by goober » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:40 pm

SFrush wrote:
Goober wrote:
SFrush wrote:Should have returned to Duke. He's headed to the second round.

Not at all! No way even with his foot surgery the Jazz don't draft him at 24 imo, there's not a pick that doesn't make more sense for them, local product, a guy who can be an offball scorer (huge need for us) defensive potential, and potential to become our PGOTF (could be in competition with Exum, which i think would be good for both cause I think they could actually play together with Hayward on the team)

There are more teams in front of the Jazz who I know are heavily intruiged by Frank.

Apparently they weren't that intrigued.

once they traded up for Donovan mitchell I knew that they wouldn't take Frank. great pick by the Pelicans!

Return to NBA Draft