Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,639

Detroit Pistons - Orlando Summer League Notes 

Post#1 » by Smitty731 » Sat Jul 8, 2017 3:44 am

Hey all!

Here are this year's notes from Orlando Summer League. Hopefully some things of interest in here!

1. They were super impressed with Henry Ellenson. The quote that stood out was "He was brutal for most of last year. Barely functional in the NBAGL. But by the end of the year, he figured things out. He got in his own head too much. Once he started just playing, he was better."

2. They are really happy with Luke Kennard and that was part of what led to them moving on from Kentavious Caldwell-Pope. Kennard may not start this year with Avery Bradley now there, but he could be the starter long term.

3. The surprise of SL was Eric Moreland. He was one of the better bigs in Orlando for the week. That landed him a deal for camp that could turn into more.

4. This is a big year for Stanley Johnson. He needs to show real improvement on the offensive end. Most seem split on him.

5. Michael Gbinje was up and down. He's probably looking at some more NBAGL this year.

6. The Langston Galloway deal was a shock, but they think he'll be their top guard off the bench eventually. He may even start the year at the 2. They feel good about the backcourt with him added.

7. Don't be surprised if there is no other big move coming after the Bradley/Morris trade. They think if he's healthy from the jump, which he should be, Reggie Jackson will bounce back to form.

8. It happened after SL, but they are thrilled to have Bradley. And the intention is to sign him long term.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,848

Re: Detroit Pistons - Orlando Summer League Notes 

Post#2 » by tmorgan » Sat Jul 8, 2017 3:46 am

Thanks, Smitty. Did anyone say anything about how the hell we're supposed to have minutes for Reggie, Ish, Bradley, Galloway, and Kennard? Rookie is gonna rot on the bench, methinks.
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,148

Post#3 » by ElectricMayhem » Sat Jul 8, 2017 3:50 am

Thank you as always Smitty. It's good to hear from a hard-working insider. I don't think Silent G will ever be an NBA player. I wish we had rolled the dice on Felder instead. Maybe he wouldn't have made it, but I would have felt better giving him a shot.
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#4 » by Pharaoh » Sat Jul 8, 2017 5:00 am

Galloway won't start the season as the SG - AB will

Galloway might be the first guard off the bench though - and that could change a lot of things for us if he performs

RJ 26
AB 30

40 minutes between Ish, Kennard & Galloway isn't going to be enough.

We could opt to rest dudes on back to backs more, could play Kennard extensively against weak teams and sit him vs quality teams...there's a bunch of ways to manage the rotation and depth is always a good thing over 82 games

Sent from my SM-J110F using RealGM mobile app
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Smitty731 » Sat Jul 8, 2017 5:03 am

Pharaoh wrote:Galloway won't start the season as the SG - AB will

Galloway might be the first guard off the bench though - and that could change a lot of things for us if he performs

RJ 26
AB 30

40 minutes between Ish, Kennard & Galloway isn't going to be enough.

We could opt to rest dudes on back to backs more, could play Kennard extensively against weak teams and sit him vs quality teams...there's a bunch of ways to manage the rotation and depth is always a good thing over 82 games

I should have cleaned that up. That note was from before the AB trade happened. I agree with you that AB will start.
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Smitty731 » Sat Jul 8, 2017 5:03 am

tmorgan wrote:Thanks, Smitty. Did anyone say anything about how the hell we're supposed to have minutes for Reggie, Ish, Bradley, Galloway, and Kennard? Rookie is gonna rot on the bench, methinks.

The Bradley deal hadn't happened yet in Orlando. And I only got to talk to one Pistons guy here in Vegas tonight. So, not much to go off of there.
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#7 » by Blkbrd671 » Sat Jul 8, 2017 6:15 am

Essentially because we committed to RJ and Dre, and KCP didn't show enough, we have to roll with RJ and Dre. I would have love to put Bradley next to KCP and SJ for our future. Many forget he was a pg in college
AnnArborpiston
Sophomore
And1: 49

Post#8 » by AnnArborpiston » Sat Jul 8, 2017 8:48 am

RJ (25- protect his knee)/ Ish (23)
AB (30) / Kennard (18)
Harris (20) / SJ (28)
Leuer (20) / Harris (15) / Ellenson (13)
Dre (33 / Leuer (8) / Boban (7)

Keep Galloway on the bench as backup for any injuries or back to backs. He will be needed, but let's have Luke play from the start.
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,101

Post#9 » by Kilo » Sat Jul 8, 2017 12:55 pm

I'm surprised they were so impressed with Henry Ellenson. I'm sure they loved his offense, but every damn game the opposing PF was their top scorer it seemed. Ellenson was useless on defense. With so much focus on Kennard being bad on defense and needing to work on it - that message should be front and center to Ellenson to put in total effort there first. I mean threat to Kennard is play defense or you don't sniff the floor, the message to Stanley is play defense to earn your minutes.

Kennard did look really savvy out there. Always in the open spots, always reading the defense to know where to be and where the space will be and getting there. I was looking forward to KCP defending Kennard in scrimmages in camp to get him ready, but Bradley will be just as good in that venture.

I think Galloway was signed to be the starting 2-guard when KCP turned down the $80M contract and there was fear of a Brooklyn offersheet. I do think we would have let him walk for 20M and went with Galloway/Kennard and probably signed another vet SG with the rest of the exceptions. I really like our five guards - if Reggie is healthy.

Moreland's deal is weird. It's not guaranteed until 2019 off-season, but it's a three year deal. So we can cut or trade him to be cut at any time until then if he's flopping, but we made sure to have him under contract for three years to have his full Bird Rights just in case he goes Hassan Whiteside I guess.

Gbinije should be cut. He has a $500K buyout option by July 15th or on the books for $1.3M. He's already 25 yrs old as well - he was a five year college player. Can we buy him out and then sign him to one of those two way deals for $275K?

I don't expect another big move. Our hands are tied on Reggie until he proves healthy enough. I think we sign Lorenzo Brown and Anthony Tolliver and call it an off-season.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,485

Post#10 » by whitehops » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:11 am

Smitty731 wrote:Hey all!

Here are this year's notes from Orlando Summer League. Hopefully some things of interest in here!

don't know how i missed this first time around, thanks for the insider notes smitty!
jakebernat
Sixth Man
And1: 767

Post#11 » by jakebernat » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:38 am

Blkbrd671 wrote:Essentially because we committed to RJ and Dre, and KCP didn't show enough, we have to roll with RJ and Dre. I would have love to put Bradley next to KCP and SJ for our future. Many forget he was a pg in college

Ah yes, one of the first of many of your "KCP and AB could've coexisted" posts.

I hope people don't actually think/expect that AB will play any PG at all.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#12 » by Blkbrd671 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:53 am

jakebernat wrote:
Blkbrd671 wrote:Essentially because we committed to RJ and Dre, and KCP didn't show enough, we have to roll with RJ and Dre. I would have love to put Bradley next to KCP and SJ for our future. Many forget he was a pg in college

ah yes , one of the first of many "i don't understand positionless basketball" post.

Whats ironic is that SVG literally said, one of the things that drew him to AB is being able to provide a secondary ball handler..............while AB at pg may not be ideal, defensively teams would have a real hard time and playing pg in our system is not hard
JohnReese
Senior
And1: 270

Post#13 » by JohnReese » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:01 am

Bradley going to some top team next summer.

Quote me when that happens.

San Antonio will have cap space and is a perfect fit.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#14 » by Blkbrd671 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:18 am

JohnReese wrote:Bradley going to some top team next summer.

so we lost KCP and Mook for a 2nd round pick?
Pharaoh
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: Detroit Pistons - Orlando Summer League Notes 

Post#15 » by Pharaoh » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:38 am

Blkbrd671 wrote:
jakebernat wrote:

ah yes , one of the first of many "i don't understand positionless basketball" post.

Whats ironic is that SVG literally said, one of the things that drew him to AB is being able to provide a secondary ball handler..............while AB at pg may not be ideal, defensively teams would have a real hard time and [i]playing pg in our system is not hard[/i ]

To the bold: there's a big difference between being the secondary ball handler and being the PG. I'm sure you know this.

SVG did say AB would be a secondary ball handler - note that he didn't say he'd play PG!

To the italics: I don't care what kind of offensive structures you're running play PG is hard - I'm sure you know that too!

Managing the pace, the clock, directing players, choosing who shoots & when & where they shoot...

That's the tip of the iceberg!

Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#16 » by Pharaoh » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:43 am

JohnReese wrote:Bradley going to some top team next summer.

I can see that happening for sure

But when the choice is to overpay KCP for 4/5 years and the other is to avoid the tax & get a season of AB it's not hard to see why SVG & Gores went that way.

We bitch about not having quality players...one falls into our laps and we complain that 12 months from now he'll be gone?

Can we not have a month or 2 or 6 of enjoying AB as a Piston?

Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#17 » by Blkbrd671 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:09 am

Pharaoh wrote:
To the bold: there's a big difference between being the secondary ball handler and being the PG. I'm sure you know this.

SVG did say AB would be a secondary ball handler - note that he didn't say he'd play PG!

To the italics: I don't care what kind of offensive structures you're running play PG is hard - I'm sure you know that too!

Managing the pace, the clock, directing players, choosing who shoots & when & where they shoot...

:lol: :lol:

Ish smith literally just pushes the ball in transition and then runs around in the half court trying to get someone open. We know at least, per SVG, that he's going to be effective in the half court, so then your saying ....he.....can't.....push the ball in transition? definitely disagree

have you never watched james harden!? Klay thompson!?

SVG has even said KCP can play some PG, on the national team practices he did, so if your saying AB can't play PG and we know KCP can, then again we should have resigned KCP
Pharaoh
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Detroit Pistons - Orlando Summer League Notes 

Post#18 » by Pharaoh » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:24 am

Blkbrd671 wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:

Ish smith literally just pushes the ball in transition and then runs around in the half court trying to get someone open. We know at least, per SVG, that he's going to be effective in the half court, so then your saying ....he.....can't.....push the ball in transition? definitely disagree

SVG has even said KCP can play some PG, on the national team practices he did, so if your saying AB can't play PG and we know KCP can, then again we should have resigned KCP

Cue Allen Iverson talking about practice!

Dre hits FTs at 80% in practice dude - can't come close to that in games.

There's a big difference between running set plays in practice and doing it for real in a actual NBA game...

But you know that. I swear you argue just to pass the time

#Glenn

Blkbrd671
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Detroit Pistons - Orlando Summer League Notes 

Post#19 » by Blkbrd671 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:58 am

Pharaoh wrote:
Blkbrd671 wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:

Cue Allen Iverson talking about practice!

Dre hits FTs at 80% in practice dude - can't come close to that in games.

There's a big difference between running set plays in practice and doing it for real in a actual NBA game...

But you know that. I swear you argue just to pass the time

#Glenn

its like you don't understand development and how players gradually transition to production in games. Point is that coach and national coaches thought enough of KCP ball handling and decision making to give him that responsibilty . So bury your head in the dirt all you want but it happened.

There's enough minutes for LG but there all of sudden not enough minutes for KCP. Idk what you guys are worried about, if KCP sucks as bad as you hope he does, his minutes will look justified.

Your mistaken as this isn't a argument, I've brought legitimate points that your just avoiding or ignoring.
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#20 » by Pharaoh » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:43 pm

There's a big difference to playing Galloway or Kennard 15-20 minutes a game and giving those minutes to KCP while AB gets 30

Has it occurred to you that those coaches put KCP in that position in practice in order to develop his ball handling & PG skills?

Does that not suggest he does not yet possess the required skillset to play PG outside of controlled practice situations?

Isn't that part of developing players in order to "gradually transition to production" in games?

As for me hoping KCP sucks in the future:

WTF?

I'm the guy that wanted to draft Mitchell so we could team him with KCP down the line...along with SJ...for a top flight perimeter defense!

I'm the guy that wanted to change the offensive structure last training camp in order to (partly) develop KCP!

I'm the guy that posted his shooting numbers by the month!

Don't **** tell me I want him to suck - he's one of "my" guys in the league!

Return to Detroit Pistons