Junior
And1: 123

Rowan Barrett Jr., best 16 years old player in the World 

Post#1 » by Stackey » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:19 pm

Some facts:

- Born in 2000, NBA draft class of 2019
- Left handed 6'7'' SG/SF with long wingspan, good athlete and a good passer
- Considered as best Canadian prospect since Wiggins
- Currently ranged as number 1 prospect in the entire North America among 2000. born players by ESPN and Future150

TheGoodDoctor
General Manager
And1: 8,607

Re: Rowan Barrett Jr., best 16 years old player in the World 

Post#2 » by TheGoodDoctor » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:43 pm

I wouldn't make too much out of it until he is 17-18 years old ie/ look at how Seventh Woods is an after thought. Although one thing you can say for this kid is he does have legit height/measurements that SW lacks. Looks good so far, will obviously need to see in a year or so from now how his skill/development is coming along.

Also even as a Canadian I will say that I would be a reluctant to get to caught up in the hype when I believe Wiggins fell well short of expectations imo. Although AW should be a pretty damn good player in the league, he doesn't actually strike me as this MVP caliber/generational talent that everyone was dubbing him and now apparently they're starting with Rowan. Here's praying he does become that elite level player.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,047

Post#3 » by The_Hater » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:56 pm

TheGoodDoctor wrote:I wouldn't make too much out of it until he is 17-18 years old ie/ look at how Seventh Woods is an after thought. Although one thing you can say for this kid is he does have legit height/measurements that SW lacks. Looks good so far, will obviously need to see in a year or so from now how his skill/development is coming along.

Also even as a Canadian I will say that I would be a reluctant to get to caught up in the hype when I believe Wiggins fell well short of expectations imo. Although AW should be a pretty damn good player in the league, he doesn't actually strike me as this MVP caliber/generational talent that everyone was dubbing him and now apparently they're starting with Rowan. Here's praying he does become that elite level player.

Most top prospects fall well short of the hype, not just those from Canada. That's because there's not one direction to go when you're considered a surefire superstar. Barnes,Mohammed, Randle, Parker, Okafor and Skai all fell varying degrees as well.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#4 » by HeartBreakKid » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:27 pm

TheGoodDoctor wrote:I wouldn't make too much out of it until he is 17-18 years old ie/ look at how Seventh Woods is an after thought. Although one thing you can say for this kid is he does have legit height/measurements that SW lacks. Looks good so far, will obviously need to see in a year or so from now how his skill/development is coming along.

Seventh Woods was like 13 or 14 when his hype exploded, 16 is a lot more relevant when judging a prospect.
Zombiesonics
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,213

Post#5 » by Zombiesonics » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:01 pm

Charles Bassey is actually
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,314

Post#6 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:50 pm

Just to early to say he's #1. A couple of things you have to take into account. Yes he's eligible to be drafted in 2019 but right now he's playing with the draft class of 2020. He also just turned 16 and just finished his freshman year in high school. I was 16 the first couple of months my senior year (turned 17 in Nov). Right now he is on track to turn 20 a week or so after he graduates high school. So he is a lot older than most guys his grade. So like someone brought it up earlier with Seventh Woods as a freshman was considered the best in his class, JP Tokoto was considered one of the best in his class as a freshman.

There is a reason most of the big scouting services don't make a top list, because they know it can change drastically. Right now most other freshman haven't hit their growth spurts and no clue what type of athletes their going to be
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,322

Post#7 » by CptCrunch » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:34 am

The_Hater wrote:

Most top prospects fall well short of the hype, not just those from Canada. That's because there's not one direction to go when you're considered a surefire superstar. Barnes,Mohammed, Randle, Parker, Okafor and Skai all fell varying degrees as well.

I love how you bundled Parker and Okafor together with Barnes, Shabazz and Randle. Okafor and Parker performed in college and are some of the better younger prospect. Okafor is the most underrated player in the league. Parker is the best prospect in his class. Clear agenda there.

Randle's development has stagnated in the NBA, but he was a solid college player. Barnes and Shabazz are massive busts relative to their high school ranking and NBA performances.

Regardless, you point is true. When you are the top, there is only one direction to go.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 9,508

Post#8 » by Chuck Everett » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:01 am

paulbball wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

I love how you bundled Parker and Okafor together with Barnes, Shabazz and Randle. Okafor and Parker performed in college and are some of the better younger prospect. Okafor is the most underrated player in the league. Parker is the best prospect in his class. Clear agenda there.

Randle's development has stagnated in the NBA, but he was a solid college player. Barnes and Shabazz are massive busts relative to their high school ranking and NBA performances.

Regardless, you point is true. When you are the top, there is only one direction to go.

Massive busts relative to their high school rankings? Barnes just got 94 million and Shabazz is going to get paid as well. I think we need to re-calibrate the word bust as it relates to high school. Just because you're a top 5 HS player doesn't mean you will make the NBA or even be an NBA all-star. You still need size, speed, skills and the right measurables.

Usually when we describe busts, we describe where a player was selected in the draft. Not where they were ranked in HS.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,047

Post#9 » by The_Hater » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:14 am

paulbball wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

So you were initially offended by the list I put together and accused me of having a 'clear agenda' and then ultimately agreed with my point.

Since you know what my clear agenda was, could you please let me know what that would be?
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
janmagn
Starter
And1: 341

Post#10 » by janmagn » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:34 pm

I think that age thing is gonna hurt his stock

Lähetetty minun LG-H440n laitteesta Tapatalkilla
Stackey
Junior

Post#11 » by Stackey » Sun Jul 9, 2017 12:44 pm

Stackey
Junior

Post#12 » by Stackey » Sun Jul 9, 2017 12:45 pm

It's already solved:

Luka Dončić, number 1 of the draft 2018

Rowan Barrett Jr., number 1 of the draft 2019

coutournant
Junior
And1: 75

Post#13 » by coutournant » Sun Jul 9, 2017 3:28 pm

Very impressive player, unstoppable !
Too bad France didn't let Doumbouya play this U19 world championship. I think he can challenge him as the top 2000 prospect in the world.
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,448

Post#14 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Sun Jul 9, 2017 8:26 pm

HeartBreakKid wrote:

Seventh Woods was like 13 or 14 when his hype exploded, 16 is a lot more relevant when judging a prospect.

This.

And wasn't Seventh Woods issue that he pretty much stopped growing?
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
mojo13
Veteran
And1: 1,880

Post#15 » by mojo13 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:34 pm

Stackey wrote:It's already solved:

Is Barrett better than Wiggins at the same age? Seems similar athleticism but RJ has better defense, much better playmaking/passing and Bball IQ (played PG vs the US with Lindel Wigginton hurt). He also seems to rise to the occasion when the spotlight and pressure is on. Something Wiggins has been often criticized for.
oddwolfhooligan
Sophomore
And1: 83

Rowan Barrett Jr., best 16 years old player in the World 

Post#16 » by oddwolfhooligan » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:20 pm

mojo13 wrote:

Is Barrett better than Wiggins at the same age? Seems similar athleticism but RJ has better defense, much better playmaking/passing and Bball IQ (played PG vs the US with Lindel Wigginton hurt). He also seems to rise to the occasion when the spotlight and pressure is on. Something Wiggins has been often criticized for.

Barrett easily projects as a better NBA player than Wiggins did. Wiggins is a better athlete, but Barrett is better at just about everything else while still being a very high level athlete. For my money, he's the best wing prospect since Durant and has a legitimate argument over Bagley as the best prospect in the world.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,880
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#17 » by NO-KG-AI » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:24 pm

Barrett, Bagley, and Williamson are somehow all the greatest prospect of all time.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,762

Post#18 » by Upperclass » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:51 pm

He looks alot like Harrison Barnes / Rodney hood.. not seeing "it"
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,396
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#19 » by E-Balla » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:10 pm

Barrett is going to be in the 2020 draft or 2021 even. He plays under his age which is always a warning flag (I remember hyping Shabazz to this day).
oddwolfhooligan
Sophomore
And1: 83

Post#20 » by oddwolfhooligan » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:26 pm

E-Balla wrote:

Barrett is going to be in the 2020 draft or 2021 even. He plays under his age which is always a warning flag (I remember hyping Shabazz to this day).

Barrett is likely to move up to 2018 which would qualify him for the 2019 draft. Also, he constantly plays against kids that are the same age as him or a year older and still dominates. He is in no way a comparable situation to Shabazz who ended up being a 21 year old freshmen.

Upperclass wrote:He looks alot like Harrison Barnes / Rodney hood.. not seeing "it"

Barrett has way better ball skills than both had at the same stage, better passing ability, better all around scoring, better rebounding ability, better defensive potential, better body control, more quickness, a better motor, more killer instinct, etc. etc. They don't compare as prospects.

Return to NBA Draft