Donovan Mitchell - where's the hype?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,623

Re: Donovan Mitchell - where's the hype? 

Post#101 » by Cappy_Smurf » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:55 am

Ettorefm wrote:
MalonesElbows wrote:The Jazz seem to really like Mitchell and he likes the organization. With the Jazz potentially losing some wings soon they could try and make a splash to move up and get him.

Donovan Mitchell is 6'2/6'3 and a guard. How is losing some wings relevant to their decision?

Ettorefm wrote:
zzaj wrote:
Ettorefm wrote:
Nope.

Yep.

SG's and SF's are the typical "wings" in that nomenclature.

Yes. Both, not just Shooting Guards.

I can only assume you are trying to say you think he is a point guard, which isn't correct IMO. He can guard either the 1 or 2 defensively, but offensively he is more of a shooting guard right now.
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,244

Post#102 » by Catchall » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:42 pm

Offensively, Mitchell is similar to Eric Gordon. Defensively, he's similar to Avery Bradley. He could be really good. He's better playing off the ball than on the ball at this stage, but he can play next to Hill or Exum and defend either guard position.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#103 » by Catchall » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:51 pm

GimmeDat wrote:He can play a bit of pseudo-PG if you're running him with a ball handling wing/forward, but he's quite distinctly a SG overall, though. I think people might be overdoing the PG aspect because they're worried about his size at the 2, but I don't think it's too much of an issue given his length.

I've mentioned the comparison before, but Eric Gordon. Gordon was 6'3 and a 6'9 wingspan, so very similar physically, and they're both plus athletes. Very similar posture/form on their jumpers as well (though Gordon doesn't jump as much), and they both have good handle/creation abilities for SG's.

yes. nailed it.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#104 » by Catchall » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:53 pm

Jazz are ecstatic that they were able to nab Mitchell, btw.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
crazy_me_87
Analyst
And1: 1,877

Post#105 » by crazy_me_87 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:56 pm

He really has played well so far in the Summer League. 20/3/3 with 4.4 steals per Game

In his 37 Points/ 8 Steals Game he looked really, really good. He is a great defender... can hit the Open Three and Mid Range Shot and he attacks the Rim.

He really looks like a poor mans Dwade out there so far. He propably will never be nearly as good but the combination of Raw Athletism with a Strong Body, Craftiness and playing hard on both ends really is simillar.

He seems to also be a bright hard working Kid... Could be a real Steal for the Jazz
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,488

Post#106 » by Patsfan1081 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:44 pm

GimmeDat wrote:I don't get the Marcus Smart comparisons - Mitchell is a much better shooter, more of an above the rim athlete, has more dynamic handles and shiftiness to get in to gaps, etc.

He, like most people, isn't as dogged defensively, and Smart's probably a better passer, but I like Mitchell's potential well beyond what Marcus Smart is atm.

Was Mitchell a much better shooter in college? Yeah his three point % was better their sophomore years but Smart had the better ts% both years at college and was a more efficient finisher at the rim. Mitchell hasn't been very effiecent this summer league(36% in Vegas and 43% in Utah), especially from the three point line. I'll admit though I have no clue how he'll be as a pro, he'll def be a good defender and slasher most likely but there's still questions with his shooting.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Re: RE: Re: Donovan Mitchell - where's the hype? 

Post#107 » by sipclip » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:06 am

Patsfan1081 wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:I don't get the Marcus Smart comparisons - Mitchell is a much better shooter, more of an above the rim athlete, has more dynamic handles and shiftiness to get in to gaps, etc.

He, like most people, isn't as dogged defensively, and Smart's probably a better passer, but I like Mitchell's potential well beyond what Marcus Smart is atm.

Was Mitchell a much better shooter in college? Yeah his three point % was better their sophomore years but Smart had the better ts% both years at college and was a more efficient finisher at the rim. Mitchell hasn't been very effiecent this summer league(36% in Vegas and 43% in Utah), especially from the three point line. I'll admit though I have no clue how he'll be as a pro, he'll def be a good defender and slasher most likely but there's still questions with his shooting.

There aren't any questions with his shooting stroke. It is a thing of beauty. What hurts him is shot selection but I expect that to improve once the season gets going since he won't be the number 1 option.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using RealGM mobile app
cksdayoff
RealGM
And1: 3,636

Post#108 » by cksdayoff » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:34 am

if mitchell's handles improve, he is going to be a monster
#failforfultz
Catchall
RealGM

Post#109 » by Catchall » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:48 am

Jazz staff are starting to compare Mitchell to Lillard and McCollum based on what they've seen in practices. Their expectations are becoming very high.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,213

Post#110 » by EvanZ » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:19 pm

Catchall wrote:Jazz staff are starting to compare Mitchell to Lillard and McCollum based on what they've seen in practices. Their expectations are becoming very high.

If he's anything like McCollum on offense, he's going to be a superstar, because his defense is looking elite.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
PerkinsFor3
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,975

Post#111 » by PerkinsFor3 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:44 am

Gary Harris....
crazy_me_87
Analyst
And1: 1,877

Post#112 » by crazy_me_87 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:38 am

EvanZ wrote:
Catchall wrote:Jazz staff are starting to compare Mitchell to Lillard and McCollum based on what they've seen in practices. Their expectations are becoming very high.

If he's anything like McCollum on offense, he's going to be a superstar, because his defense is looking elite.

Thats true.. If he could ever develop into a Lillard or McCollum level of Scorer with his already elite looking defense... oh boy..
Catchall
RealGM

Post#113 » by Catchall » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:48 am

PerkinsFor3 wrote:Gary Harris....

Mitchell is more athletic, shifty and explosive than Harris. Very different player.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
PerkinsFor3
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,975

Post#114 » by PerkinsFor3 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:57 am

Because Harris isnt explosive or athletic....

Main difference is Harris was a worse shooter but with better shot selection.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#115 » by GimmeDat » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:42 am

I don't think Harris is on Mitchell's level of athleticism. That's not to say Harris is a bad athlete. I think Mitchell has more shiftiness and moves to his offensive game though, Harris is a bit more limited in that regard and more of an elite 3/D guy.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#116 » by stitches » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:35 am

GimmeDat wrote:I don't think Harris is on Mitchell's level of athleticism. That's not to say Harris is a bad athlete. I think Mitchell has more shiftiness and moves to his offensive game though, Harris is a bit more limited in that regard and more of an elite 3/D guy.

Yeah... agree with that... with one small addition - Mitchell is extremely explosive from 2 feet, but nowhere near as explosive as Harris from 1 foot.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,213

Post#117 » by EvanZ » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:55 pm

Why are people talking about Gary Harris? Dude is ranked #85 in DRPM just among shooting guards. He's an awful defender.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,364

Post#118 » by baldur » Wed Aug 2, 2017 5:08 am

is he going to start this season?
Catchall
RealGM

Post#119 » by Catchall » Wed Aug 2, 2017 6:01 pm

baldur wrote:is he going to start this season?

He's not expected to start. Rubio and Hood are expected to be the starting backcourt. Mitchell and Exum are expected to come off the bench and be given a long leash to play fast and attack. If Mitchell progresses quickly though, the Jazz could make a roster move and start him towards the end of the season. Exum, Hood and Favors all need new contracts for next season, and likely one of them will be moved.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
cksdayoff
RealGM
And1: 3,636

Post#120 » by cksdayoff » Sat Aug 5, 2017 12:51 am

only thing holding mitchell back right now are his handles
#failforfultz

Return to NBA Draft