ImageImageImageImageImage

[Community Thread] Welcome To New York! - Intros Here Too

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Battery
Analyst
And1: 158

Re: [Community Thread] Welcome To New York! - Intros Here Too 

Post#521 » by Battery » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:38 am

Jose7 wrote:Secondly: anyone know any info about car audio systems?

Looking to upgrade my current situation. 2017 chevy cruze, I want an amp and subwoofer but don't got any idea about this type of **** or cost.

Let a nikka know.

That's a very nice looking car. I'm sure if you searched the internet there are forums devoted to the Chevy Cruze where you can learn about what audio enthusiasts think would work best in your car. I am actually looking at the Chevy Cruze because my 2012 Infiniti special edition G37 XS is now starting to cost way too much in repairs. Good luck with the car!
Kurt Rambis
Senior
And1: 483

Post#522 » by Kurt Rambis » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:59 am

Hi.. I'm Kurt and i am an asscoholic.
JM88
Sophomore
And1: 51

Post#523 » by JM88 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:51 pm

Hello Knicks nation. I'm 29 year old danish guy. Watched and loved to play some basketball as a kid in the 90's, but back then it was always way secondary to soccer and later football. I completely lost interest of the NBA from the late 90s until 06. I watched a lot of Portland, Cavs and Knicks in the beginning, but ultimately fell completely in love with the Knicks in 10. Having no affiliation with US outside of visiting New York a couple of times, watching the Knicks, NFL draft and Syracuse (football!) live, i've fallen in love with the city and hence developed into a fan of the Knicks, Giants, and Orange since. Becoming a Giants fan was really not on purpose, as i did something i never would have thought i would. Switch teams. Originally i was a Packers fan since 03. As i watched more and more New York sports, i just started to watch both the Packers and the Giants every week, and at some point my small 'affiliation' to New York just made my feeling about the Giants stronger than the Packers, i guess. It's no longer a 'competition' between the two. Go Giants! :)

Anyways. The Knicks are the most important sports team to me now, and I think i've been reading on realgm since 07, so i guess it's time to be a little more active. It's really hard to find any danish Knicks fans to talk to anyway. ;-) For some reason the Nets merchandise is pretty much urban fashion in Denmark, so they seem to have a lot more "fans". Although that also means the average Nets fan knows **** compared to average Knicks fan! :-)
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#524 » by magnumt » Mon Jul 3, 2017 1:19 am

JM88 wrote:Hello Knicks nation. I'm 29 year old danish guy. Watched and loved to play some basketball as a kid in the 90's, but back then it was always way secondary to soccer and later football. I completely lost interest of the NBA from the late 90s until 06. I watched a lot of Portland, Cavs and Knicks in the beginning, but ultimately fell completely in love with the Knicks in 10. Having no affiliation with US outside of visiting New York a couple of times, watching the Knicks, NFL draft and Syracuse (football!) live, i've fallen in love with the city and hence developed into a fan of the Knicks, Giants, and Orange since. Becoming a Giants fan was really not on purpose, as i did something i never would have thought i would. Switch teams. Originally i was a Packers fan since 03. As i watched more and more New York sports, i just started to watch both the Packers and the Giants every week, and at some point my small 'affiliation' to New York just made my feeling about the Giants stronger than the Packers, i guess. It's no longer a 'competition' between the two. Go Giants! :)

Anyways. The Knicks are the most important sports team to me now, and I think i've been reading on realgm since 07, so i guess it's time to be a little more active. It's really hard to find any danish Knicks fans to talk to anyway. ;-) For some reason the Nets merchandise is pretty much urban fashion in Denmark, so they seem to have a lot more "fans". Although that also means the average Nets fan knows **** compared to average Knicks fan! :-)

Welcome!

I think we have a few Danish regulars here as well. I know one of the former Bulls' Mods is Danish (Morten Jensen).

--Mags :beer:
BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6
WajaBawl
Starter
And1: 2,250

Post#525 » by WajaBawl » Tue Jul 4, 2017 10:32 pm

JM88 wrote:Hello Knicks nation. I'm 29 year old danish guy. Watched and loved to play some basketball as a kid in the 90's, but back then it was always way secondary to soccer and later football. I completely lost interest of the NBA from the late 90s until 06. I watched a lot of Portland, Cavs and Knicks in the beginning, but ultimately fell completely in love with the Knicks in 10. Having no affiliation with US outside of visiting New York a couple of times, watching the Knicks, NFL draft and Syracuse (football!) live, i've fallen in love with the city and hence developed into a fan of the Knicks, Giants, and Orange since. Becoming a Giants fan was really not on purpose, as i did something i never would have thought i would. Switch teams. Originally i was a Packers fan since 03. As i watched more and more New York sports, i just started to watch both the Packers and the Giants every week, and at some point my small 'affiliation' to New York just made my feeling about the Giants stronger than the Packers, i guess. It's no longer a 'competition' between the two. Go Giants! :)

Wow, I was literally coming into this thread thinking I'd be the only Danish guy on this board. What the hell JM88 :x

Obv jk :D Nice dude! Where in Denmark are you from?

As for me, what's up guys! Longtime lurker here as well, I think I probably visit this site at least 20 times a day, and greatly appreciate the knowledge you guys have for the game (some of you :P ). Been a huge fan of the Knicks ever since my first trip to New York back in 2012. Got family living in Staten Island aka. 'The Forgotten Borough', and as soon as I came to their house the first thing they asked me was what team I supported. At that time I didn't really know NBA too well, having only watched the NBA Finals for the first time between the Thunder and Heat prior to my trip to NYC. The NBA isn't really a big thing here in Denmark as it is more football (not soccer, I will fight you), but it has definitely picked up the last 4 or so years. Just this summer, Karl Anthony Towns came to my small town Odense, where he was participating in a celebrity game and did interview questions which was pretty cool.

- Video starts at 0:20, I'm sitting in the stands watching KAT murder the Danish celebs.

Needless to say, I fell in love with New York and by association the Knicks. A lot of posters here are veterans, who have been fans since like, the 90's. Whoa. I can only respect that, as we all know life as a Knick fan is grueling and sometimes painful. I can proudly say that although I haven't been a fan as long as you guys, I've been right there with you across the Atlantic, supporting the Knicks. Even when the team went 17-65 back in the 2014-15 season, I was ready every night for game-time at 1 AM which is when games start over here. Biggest waste of money on league pass, but I guess I am addicted :lol: Other than that, I play club basketball now in my spare time and follow the NBA religiously.

Sorry for the long post! Now STFU and GTFO!
RealGM's Scandinavian Correspondent
JM88
Sophomore

Post#526 » by JM88 » Thu Jul 6, 2017 10:14 am

WajaBawl wrote:

Wow, I was literally coming into this thread thinking I'd be the only Danish guy on this board. What the hell JM88 :x

Nice! Yeah, like i said, i don't see so many danish Knicks-fans, so good to meet one in here. I do imagine though, that there are more NBA fans on RealGM (like magnumt) pointed out. Just like with football (yes, to me it's football - not soccer! ;-), some of us decide to be quite a nerd about the sport. The american forums are just a bit more interesting. Anyways. I'm born in Aarhus, but Copenhagen has been a bigger part of my life, and that is where i have been living for a while (well, sometimes, like now, in a Copenhagen suburb).
Battery
Analyst
And1: 158

Post#527 » by Battery » Thu Jul 6, 2017 11:34 pm

WajaBawl wrote: A lot of posters here are veterans, who have been fans since like, the 90's. Whoa. I can only respect that, as we all know life as a Knick fan is grueling and sometimes painful. I can proudly say that although I haven't been a fan as long as you guys, I've been right there with you across the Atlantic, supporting the Knicks. Even when the team went 17-65 back in the 2014-15 season, I was ready every night for game-time at 1 AM which is when games start over here. Biggest waste of money on league pass, but I guess I am addicted :lol: Other than that, I play club basketball now in my spare time and follow the NBA religiously.

:lol:

Sorry but that made me laugh. Some of us have been fans since the 70's. :o black and white TV baby, no cable had to turn the channels with tweezers because the knob broke off. :lol:
Kurt Rambis
Senior
And1: 483

Post#528 » by Kurt Rambis » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:07 am

Battery wrote:
WajaBawl wrote: A lot of posters here are veterans, who have been fans since like, the 90's. Whoa. I can only respect that, as we all know life as a Knick fan is grueling and sometimes painful. I can proudly say that although I haven't been a fan as long as you guys, I've been right there with you across the Atlantic, supporting the Knicks. Even when the team went 17-65 back in the 2014-15 season, I was ready every night for game-time at 1 AM which is when games start over here. Biggest waste of money on league pass, but I guess I am addicted :lol: Other than that, I play club basketball now in my spare time and follow the NBA religiously.

:lol:

Sorry but that made me laugh. Some of us have been fans since the 70's. :o black and white TV baby, no cable had to turn the channels with tweezers because the knob broke off. :lol:

Now we have HD but Dolan comes with it. :lol:
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,011

Post#529 » by King of Canada » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:33 pm

Picked up a ball this weekend with the kids for one of the only times in 20 years. I used to play every day, and could throw down a 2 handed dunk (6ft point guard). I can still dunk on a 8.5 ft hoop! lol
BAF Pacers

F. Campazzo/ J. Clarkson/ K. Lewis Jr
D. Mitchell/ J. Richardson/S. Merrill
Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

F. Mason, Jontay, J. Harris

RIP mags :beer:
gavran
RealGM
And1: 7,187

Post#530 » by gavran » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:57 pm

Prague + Guns N' Roses = the best time ever. If anyone was wondering.
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#531 » by magnumt » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:52 pm

King of Canada wrote:Picked up a ball this weekend with the kids for one of the only times in 20 years. I used to play every day, and could throw down a 2 handed dunk (6ft point guard). I can still dunk on a 8.5 ft hoop! lol

3PT shooting and Rebounding were my thing. Always had HORRIBLE handles tho.

BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,168

Post#532 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:27 pm

Can I throw this up here just for sh*ts and giggles? Not looking for a political debate. This is just for fun.

http://deadstate.org/kellyanne-conways-flashcards-spark-photoshop-battle/
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#533 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:28 pm

magnumt wrote:
King of Canada wrote:Picked up a ball this weekend with the kids for one of the only times in 20 years. I used to play every day, and could throw down a 2 handed dunk (6ft point guard). I can still dunk on a 8.5 ft hoop! lol

Setting screens for Wingo and Rebounding were my thing. Always had HORRIBLE handles tho.

That's better. 8-)
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#534 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:29 pm

Are you still working out? If so, it would probably take you a month or two to get back hops.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#535 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:32 pm

JM88 wrote:
WajaBawl wrote:

Nice! Yeah, like i said, i don't see so many danish Knicks-fans, so good to meet one in here. I do imagine though, that there are more NBA fans on RealGM (like magnumt) pointed out. Just like with football (yes, to me it's football - not soccer! ;-), some of us decide to be quite a nerd about the sport. The american forums are just a bit more interesting. Anyways. I'm born in Aarhus, but Copenhagen has been a bigger part of my life, and that is where i have been living for a while (well, sometimes, like now, in a Copenhagen suburb).

What's immigration like in Denmark these days? I don't suppose it's letting in any Americans, are they?
gavran
RealGM

Post#536 » by gavran » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:00 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
What's immigration like in Denmark these days? I don't suppose it's letting in any Americans, are they?

They don't let Albanians in.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#537 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:03 pm

gavran wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

Ha, can't say I blame them.
JM88
Sophomore

Post#538 » by JM88 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:49 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
JM88 wrote:
WajaBawl wrote:

Alright. So no Melo trade by 5.45 today, so i'll go straight to the hot topic of danish politics instead, i suppose.

Let me start out by clarifying that, although some things are facts, the way most, if not all people, perceive the politic going on is affected by ones own beliefs, i think. So i will tell you that while i am trying to be as objective as one can be, i am no doubt affected by being heavily interested in politics and is on the left wing.

Now. To answer your question. When talking about immigration in denmark, the hot topic is not working immigration, but more like the immigration of especially muslim refugees. Or at least refugees from areas, where most people assume they are muslims, which is not always the case. An american who already has work suited up in Denmark, shoudn't have much problems. And obviously we are a part of EU, which means it's pretty easy to immigrate from other EU countries. While i believe Denmark, at least back in the days, had a reputation of being very open minded, and also having pretty open boarders, that has definetly changed into much more strict rules in a span of several years. The parties known for being very, ehm, protective of 'danish values' have been getting increased power over these years. Dansk Folkeparti (or The danish national parti) are now the second largest parti for the first time, which is largely because of a growing belief that immigration has been a huge probably for Denmark in years, for several reasons (some more legit than others). So no surprise, quite a few of the other parties are now much more strict in the immigration than they used to be. I will note though, that most of europe had a huge immigration of syrian refugees two years, where the EU countries mostly pointed to other countries with an attitude that "this is not mine (x country) problem. Somebody else take care of it". The lack of solution between the EU countries definetly sparked an even larger need for the politicians to make very strict rules. But obviously this is when talking about refugees. I don't believe it's becomming tougher to move to Denmark as a working immigrant, and there definetly seems to be a reasoning among politicians that we NEED to be able to be attractive for very skilled upper class (businessmen, scientists, etc...) working people. And furthermore, that there is a lot more positive narrative about people from america and western europa, than from anywhere else. I'm not sure how much the last part influence the legislations, but i can tell for sure that a lot of our politicians looove USA. It's no secret that Denmark considers USA a very important ally in a lot of ways.

That's about as neutral an assesment of the current situation, as i can deliver. I will, shortly, point out a few of my own point of views on the subject as well. First of, i will note, that the narrative that some of the politicians are creating are that 'muslim culture is very difficult to integrate in our society, and that we can not let out outshine our danish values". Again, it's worth noting that since a lot of the immigration to denmark is muslims, that makes it a huge part of the danish debate. The muslim population in Denmark still isn't very large, however, but people fail to see this. While the above is a big part of the open discussion, i also think that it is really not the reason as many people votes the way they do, as some people think. It is clear that a lot of the votes for strict immigration rules, are from parts of Denmark, where they don't really meet a lot of people who immigrates here permanently. Instead, they face the problem that Danish workers are usually working on contractual minimum terms negotiated by the working union. We get paid a good amount of money, compared to most other countries. That means that a lot of other EU citizens of the working class, are working here for periods at a lesser salary, while danes can make the choice of working on lesser terms that our unions have created for us over decades of building up the way they are influential in our 'working society'. Or not have a job. This choice are happening a lot more in the part of Denmark, where most of the votes for strict immigration rules are comming from. It should be noted, that this is also often a vote of being sceptical of EU. But not always - I'm casting a vote for a fairly sceptical opinion of EU, but for a lot lesser strict rules of allowing refugees to come. And a lot more focus on actually trying to help immigrants, fit into the danish society without having to give up their own cultural values. Anyways. Point is, that i believe there is currently actually a misdirection in the immigration legislation, because i think there is in large a misunderstanding of why a lot of people in the aforementioned areas votes the way, they do. Some of these votes are without a doubt, people who actually want lesser strict rules of immigration, BUT wants the immigrants to work at the same terms as the danish workers. Two very different issues, that are not specified openly enough in the public debate, and is hard to seperate for some people when casting their votes. At least if they don't have time to go deep into the political discussions. In this regard, it is also notable that the capital have a much more openminded politic, are generally very left wing-oriented, and the same goes to a lesser degree in the other few fairly big cities. Which also happens to be where you generally know a lot of people from several cultural backgrounds.
DrKnick
Starter
And1: 580

Post#539 » by DrKnick » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:11 pm

Am I welcome in Denmark?

Jeg elsker dansk piger og musik.
gavran
RealGM

Post#540 » by gavran » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:50 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
gavran wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

Ha, can't say I blame them.

Nothing is good enough for you people.

http://www.syri.net/politike/82819/denoncimi-i-dekanit-te-faktultetit-te-arteve-figurative-ardian-isufi-shtatorja-e-skenderbeut-ne-hungari-nje-turp-hellip/

Return to New York Knicks