Horry:"Stars Have to Dumb Down Their Game With The Spurs", Blames Pop for Fisher's '.4' shot

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

fortinbras
Junior
And1: 404

Horry:"Stars Have to Dumb Down Their Game With The Spurs", Blames Pop for Fisher's '.4' shot 

Post#1 » by fortinbras » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:50 am

Robert Horry still burning bridges

http://news4sanantonio.com/sports/spurs-zone/ex-spur-robert-horry-says-players-have-to-dumb-down-their-game-with-spurs

Stars Have to Dumb Down Their Game With The Spurs
Former San Antonio Spurs forward Robert Horry was a guest on Cavs' Richard Jefferson's podcast, Road Trippin', when the two former Spurs talked about their playing time in San Antonio.

RJ started the segment questioning why established players who come into the Spurs' system struggle, like LaMarcus Aldridge, Mike Finley, Antonio McDyess,and Jefferson himself to name a few

Horry, who admits he struggled once he arrived in San Antonio, pointed to the fact established stars have to "dumb down" their game with the Spurs, which in turn hurts their performance.

"And I told Michael Finley, when he got there, I said Mike, let me tell you something... in order for you to be successful, you have to dumb your game down."

"You have to be a robot. Because when you get to San Antonio, they get A-B-C-D. If you try to go A-B-E, they look at you like what are you doing?"

Horry admitting he did not pay attention to Head Coach Gregg Popovich when he was yelled at.

"I remember one time Pop yelled at me and I just started laughing."

"You know I ain't going to pay your (expletive) attention."

But "Big Shot Bob" didn't stop there.

http://news4sanantonio.com/sports/spurs-zone/robert-horry-blames-popovich-for-derek-fishers-4-shot

Horry blames Popovich for Derek Fisher's '.4' shot
As the topic of the Spurs continued, Horry spoke on the infamous Derek Fisher ".4" shot in the 2004 postseason versus the Lakers. As he remembered the play, he stated he felt Head Coach Gregg Popovich was to blame for how that game unfolded.

“The funny part is if I’d have did what I wanted to do, we would’ve won that game.

“So Pop doesn’t like Kobe. He was like, ‘I don’t like him. I don’t want him to hit a game-winner,’ and so he says, ‘Rob, when Kobe comes off, just guard him.’

“I was like, ‘No, you want the ball to go away from the basket.’

“Where I was standing, Kobe comes off, I actually did this, ‘One thousand one, no I shouldn’t do it, (expletive) it, I gotta do what the coach says.’

“So I run over to Kobe, the spot I leave, kicks it right to Fish, Fish catches and turns. I’m looking to Pop the whole time like, ‘See, if you make ’em throw ’em out that way, away from the basket, going this way and turning,’ I’m like, ‘Really?’

“I was just shaking my head, and after that. It was a wrap.”
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach
And1: 2,638

Re: Horry:"Stars Have to Dumb Down Their Game With The Spurs", Blames Pop for Fisher's '.4' shot 

Post#2 » by SelfishPlayer » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:57 am

Popovich can always be questioned until he wins a championship without Tim Duncan.
SelfishPlayer wrote:The Mavs won playoff games without Luka

The Mavs missed the playoffs without Brunson.
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Re: Horry:"Stars Have to Dumb Down Their Game With The Spurs", Blames Pop for Fisher's '.4' shot 

Post#3 » by Kabookalu » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:01 pm

“So I run over to Kobe, the spot I leave, kicks it right to Fish, Fish catches and turns. I’m looking to Pop the whole time like, ‘See, if you make ’em throw ’em out that way, away from the basket, going this way and turning,’ I’m like, ‘Really?’

Then the year after he wins a championship with them.
Read on Twitter
AdagioPace
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,137

Post#4 » by AdagioPace » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:39 pm

people make decisions and live with the consequences. sometimes works sometimes doesn't
If Horry hadn't listened to pop they wouldn't have won in 05 an 07

Horry was clutch, he was good at making shots. That was your job. Stick to it
"La natura gode della natura; la natura trionfa sulla natura; la natura domina la natura" - Ostanes
Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 9,850

Post#5 » by Woodsanity » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:04 pm

Horry you aren't a star.

Only the playoffs separate the true great ones and frauds.
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,298

Post#6 » by Dr Aki » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:39 pm

Breaking news

Players have minds of their own.
Cyrusman122000
Analyst
And1: 2,919

Post#7 » by Cyrusman122000 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:46 pm

Is anyone aware of something that happened between horry and the Spurs?
First the comments about Duncan and now this? Something must've happened
infintybeyond
Rookie
And1: 1,799

Post#8 » by infintybeyond » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:47 pm

Woodsanity wrote:Horry you aren't a star.

So he's not allowed to voice his opinion? Stars do struggle a bit in SA. The Spurs run a system that maximizes team play and sacrifices individual stats. They share the ball and play winning basketball. It's a tough adjustment for some stars to make, especially when they are used to playing individually then for the team.
Kevin Johnson
Analyst
And1: 7,835

Post#9 » by Kevin Johnson » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:49 pm

I was shocked when I saw Pop yell frantically at Pau Gasol for not running a play right in the playoffs. He continued yelling at him after time out with Gasol timidly apologizing.

I can understand why NBA veterans would not put up with that and not surprised that Aldridge tired of that really quick. Remember, Rodman said Pops has a big ego and thinks he's god.

People love to put Pop on a pedestal but every coach has their flaws. Even Phil Jackson's rep has taken a big hit lately and Riley is not revered as he once was.
Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 9,850

Post#10 » by Woodsanity » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:52 pm

infintybeyond wrote:

So he's not allowed to voice his opinion? Stars do struggle a bit in SA. The Spurs run a system that maximizes team play and sacrifices individual stats. They share the ball and play winning basketball. It's a tough adjustment for some stars to make, especially when they are used to playing individually then for the team.

His opinion is bad honestly. This is the same guy who said Hakeem was 20x better than Duncan, he clearly has an agenda against the Spurs and acts like he is way better than he really is when he was just a solid role player who ring chased.

Only the playoffs separate the true great ones and frauds.
draftnightsuit
Analyst
And1: 6,576

Post#11 » by draftnightsuit » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:57 pm

I hate how people chide Phil Jackson for having great players then act like Popovich is some genius who makes the best out of mediocre players.

Last time I checked, the Spurs were perennial playoffs contenders who couldn't get over the hump for years. Then they tanked one year and ended up with a once in a lifetime talent in Tim Duncan. Then Popovich joins the team right after.

He inherited the same exact situation as Phil Jackson.
Jables
Analyst
And1: 2,443

Post#12 » by Jables » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:58 pm

Ah I remember now.

Horry is an absolute tool. How the hell do you dumb his game down anyway lmao, he was a genius at struggling to get near 10 points per game I'll say that much.
Shock Defeat
General Manager
And1: 16,891

Post#13 » by Shock Defeat » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:59 pm

Pop forces you to play the right way, but at the same time it suffocates a player's creativity on the basketball floor. That's why Duncan and Leonard are perfect players for Pop. They are literal robots on the basketball court.
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#14 » by macNcheese3 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:01 pm

is this an excuse for LMA? He dumbed his own game down. He looked absolutely lost out there vs GSW.
SamSepiol
Rookie
And1: 3,614

Post#15 » by SamSepiol » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:06 pm

fortinbras wrote:
"You have to be a robot. Because when you get to San Antonio, they get A-B-C-D. If you try to go A-B-E, they look at you like what are you doing?"

Makes sense actual robots have been most successful in Pop's teams.

ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,188

Post#16 » by ThunderBolt » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:10 pm

SelfishPlayer wrote:Popovich can always be questioned until he wins a championship without Tim Duncan.

I agree. Some people will never satisfy critics. Popovich proved he was a fraud this year. Getting to the WCF after losing Duncan, controlling game 1 against the warriors without your starting pg until Kawhi got hurt against the Warriors...the game has clearly passed him by. Just like spurs players are only system players, pops is a system coach. Never mind that he implemented the system, the point remains- if popovich didn't build a successful winning culture at the spurs then he wouldn't be a successful winning coach. He is nothing more than a product of himself.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Kevin Johnson
Analyst
And1: 7,835

Post#17 » by Kevin Johnson » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:11 pm

fortinbras wrote:But "Big Shot Bob" didn't stop there.

http://news4sanantonio.com/sports/spurs-zone/robert-horry-blames-popovich-for-derek-fishers-4-shot

Horry blames Popovich for Derek Fisher's '.4' shot
As the topic of the Spurs continued, Horry spoke on the infamous Derek Fisher ".4" shot in the 2004 postseason versus the Lakers. As he remembered the play, he stated he felt Head Coach Gregg Popovich was to blame for how that game unfolded.

“The funny part is if I’d have did what I wanted to do, we would’ve won that game.

“So Pop doesn’t like Kobe. He was like, ‘I don’t like him. I don’t want him to hit a game-winner,’ and so he says, ‘Rob, when Kobe comes off, just guard him.’

“I was like, ‘No, you want the ball to go away from the basket.’

“Where I was standing, Kobe comes off, I actually did this, ‘One thousand one, no I shouldn’t do it, (expletive) it, I gotta do what the coach says.’

Shock Defeat wrote:Pop forces you to play the right way, but at the same time it suffocates a player's creativity on the basketball floor. That's why Duncan and Leonard are perfect players for Pop. They are literal robots on the basketball court.

I am sure Duncan felt Pops was a dumbass like Horry did for benching the greatest PF of all-time with 28 seconds away from a title with a 5-point lead against the Heat when he chose to play Boris Diaw instead and gave away the championship.

But Duncan probably doesn't GAF and wouldn't waste his time dwelling on this like Horry does when he could be playing D&D or Warcraft with his friends
3Diamantidis
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,300

Post#18 » by 3Diamantidis » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:14 pm

Only a 7x champion. What does he know about winning?
Hindenburg
Head Coach
And1: 13,854

Post#19 » by Hindenburg » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:27 pm

Simmons just turned down more money and went to the Magic to not play for Pop

Pop is notoriously difficult to play for and get along with
-Sammy-
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,668

Post#20 » by -Sammy- » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:41 pm

The people going in on Pop are silly; his success and his legacy are made, and he's way past the point of having to prove himself.

The people going in on Horry are equally silly; he was on those teams, he has a point-of-view and a right to express it-- in fact, a duty, as he's a basketball commentator.

Return to The General Board