ImageImageImageImageImage

The MeloPause Trade Thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

VirginiaKnickFan
RealGM
And1: 2,849

Re: The MeloPause Trade Thread 

Post#1821 » by VirginiaKnickFan » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:41 pm

HEZI wrote:
eagle54 wrote:For guys who thinks the rockets major annoucement it's about Melo, your wrong

Read on Twitter

The owner probably saw how much he has to pay in luxury taxes now and said F this I'm out

Or the owner realized what Melo and his trade kicker would cost and F this I'm out. :lol:
louieOrr
Sixth Man
And1: 474

Post#1822 » by louieOrr » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:42 pm

Also important to note,

Mills was asked about a timetable to resolve the Melo situation. He stated there was not.

He's playing his hand well
GEOLINK
General Manager
And1: 8,310

Post#1823 » by GEOLINK » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:09 pm

I understand locking your best player up but that Harden contract is ridiculous and almost idiotic.

Might as well give him part ownership too.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,200

Post#1824 » by DOT » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:13 pm

GEOLINK wrote:I understand locking your best player up but that Harden contract is ridiculous and almost idiotic.

I mean, you lock up an MVP caliber player for 6 years, one you can build a team around

It's a lot of money, but that's what the going rate is these days
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 38,214

Post#1825 » by KnicksGod » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:15 pm

K-DOT wrote:
GEOLINK wrote:I understand locking your best player up but that Harden contract is ridiculous and almost idiotic.

I mean, you lock up an MVP caliber player for 6 years, one you can build a team around

It's a lot of money, but that's what the going rate is these days

Lock him up before he has more playoff performances like his last one. The dude is a little overrated but he's definitely good for some more production.
seren
RealGM
And1: 4,204

Post#1826 » by seren » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:31 pm

Owners don't make that decisions based on a player's contract. If anything, locking in a guy like Harden would improve the value of the team.

Sent from my XT1575 using RealGM mobile app
Gil
Starter
And1: 1,283

Post#1827 » by Gil » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:59 pm

Lol, what? This is beyond idiotic. Harden's contract was well deserved. He's been an MVP caliber player for 3 straight seasons & puts up historic numbers.
GEOLINK
General Manager
And1: 8,310

Post#1828 » by GEOLINK » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:27 pm

Gil wrote:

Lol, what? This is beyond idiotic. Harden's contract was well deserved. He's been an MVP caliber player for 3 straight seasons & puts up historic numbers.

Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#1829 » by Sark » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:48 pm

HEZI wrote:
eagle54 wrote:For guys who thinks the rockets major annoucement it's about Melo, your wrong

Read on Twitter

The owner probably saw how much he has to pay in luxury taxes now and said F this I'm out

That and he knows that a prolonged lockout is coming, since the salaries are getting out of control, and this current market is an unsustainable bubble.
CANiLIVE
Sixth Man
And1: 220

Post#1830 » by CANiLIVE » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:56 pm

I'm really thinking the trade won't happen till close to the season or trade deadline, seems like there's no real need to rush the team into a bad move, perry might start reaching out to melo seeing if he will be willing to be a mentor for kp.

Knicks are trying to change the perception of them not wanting melo to melo will be a good vet for our young players.

Making him seem as a asset rather than trash outside msg, it's how the situation should've been handled the 1st time around.

Very telling how the front office wants to move, A lot of damage control to be done.
RealGM
And1: 39,138

Post#1831 » by 2010 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:01 pm

I think right now Melo and his team has to see the writing on the wall that no trade to Houston is going down. One, because they are not the ideal trade partner for us asset wise. And two, because the team has just been announced as for sale.

Melo and his team might have to become more amenable to being traded to other destinations. I wonder if OKC would like to add him to their Westbrook/George nucleus. Melo can contend for this season, then opt-out at the end of the season and join the club of his choice at that point. Same thing with Portland. I think this all may end up playing in our favor. More suitors equate to a better potential haul.

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
VirginiaKnickFan
RealGM
And1: 2,849

Post#1832 » by VirginiaKnickFan » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:05 pm

2010 wrote:I think right now Melo and his team has to see the writing on the wall that no trade to Houston is going down. One, because the are not the ideal trade partner for us asset wise. And two, because the team has just been announced as for sale.

Melo and his team might have to become more amenable to being traded to other destinations. I wonder if OKC would like to add him to their Westbrook/George nucleus. Melo can contend for this season, then opt-out at the end of the season and join the club of his choice at that point. Same thing with Portland. I think this all may end up playing in our favor. More suitors equate to a better potential haul.

The pause maybe gives Cleveland to get serious if they want a shot a Melo. Problem is they are lacking a GM.
Fury
RealGM
And1: 14,936

Post#1833 » by Fury » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:05 pm

2010 wrote:I think right now Melo and his team has to see the writing on the wall that no trade to Houston is going down. One, because the are not the ideal trade partner for us asset wise. And two, because the team has just been announced as for sale.

Word the sale may push him to Portland
Marty McFly
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Post#1834 » by Marty McFly » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:09 pm

you'd think that even though it's minny, melo might be willing to head out there to play for thibs, knowing they have butler and towns. that frontline defense would be absolutely atrocious though.
Guano wrote:Fourni3r forgetting he has Bob cousy handles

Woodsanity wrote:Imagine trusting a team with World B Flat on it without Lebron keeping him in check.
Carl_Karlson
Head Coach
And1: 3,030

Post#1835 » by Carl_Karlson » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:15 pm

No Melo, No CP3 for the Rox next year. Love it
WTF Post of 2017:

If Phil pulled that off, I would put a put a paper bag over my head, paste a picture of Jeannie on it, poke a hole through the mouth, and give Phil the best BJ he's ever had in his entire life.[/quote]
red96
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,380

Post#1836 » by red96 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:28 pm

fatalogic wrote:Lmao that's great. Sign Harden to 220+ million then sell the team. Owner must of have looked at that repeater luxury tax bill like.
[gfycat]gfycat.com/DeepWanAnnelid[/gfycat]
You guys aren't aware of what's really going on. Harden's extension wasn't reported in the media correctly. His raise doesn't start until the 2019-20 season at $37,800,000 million. To help put it in perspective, Harden's salary for the next 2 seasons are roughly 28M and 30M respectively. LBJ salary next year is $33.2M. Curry's salary for the next 3 seasons, $34.6, $37.4M, and $40.2M. Westbrooks extension will be higher than Harden's too, due to more years played in the league. This is the going price for top 10 players. Harden contract is fine and the Rockets aren't even over the luxury cap right now.
"Morey decided in 2007 that Steve Francis was to be the "franchise player" of the Rockets only to play what... 5 games? Morey didn't think Marc Gasol was worth a look that year,"
-baki "the Rockets fan"
newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,545

Post#1837 » by newyorker4ever » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:49 pm

red96 wrote:

fatalogic wrote:Lmao that's great. Sign Harden to 220+ million then sell the team. Owner must of have looked at that repeater luxury tax bill like.
[gfycat]gfycat.com/DeepWanAnnelid[/gfycat]
You guys aren't aware of what's really going on. Harden's extension wasn't reported in the media correctly. His raise doesn't start until the 2019-20 season at $37,800,000 million. To help put it in perspective, Harden's salary for the next 2 seasons are roughly 28M and 30M respectively. LBJ salary next year is $33.2M. Curry's salary for the next 3 seasons, $34.6, $37.4M, and $40.2M. Westbrooks extension will be higher than Harden's too, due to more years played in the league. This is the going price for top 10 players. Harden contract is fine and the Rockets aren't even over the luxury cap right now.

It was reported correctly by some media outlets but some didn't report it this way.
selenium
Sophomore
And1: 79

Post#1838 » by selenium » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:50 pm

Told you all we werent gonna sell low on Melo.

If he wanna leave, waive the NTC, welo.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,200

Post#1839 » by DOT » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:52 pm

BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
ctorres
RealGM
And1: 3,556

Post#1840 » by ctorres » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:55 pm

Since we can assume that Melo would prefer playing with Cleveland or Houston over New York, what I would really like to know is if Melo would prefer New York over the 27 other teams in the NBA.

I'm surprised Melo's "team" or "people" haven't reached out to any beat writer or reporter with the scoop that Melo is willing to play out another season with the Knicks if it came down to it. I feel that would be a power play on Melo's part and would put the pressure on the Knicks' brass to desperately get a deal done.

Return to New York Knicks