Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 259

Re: Around the NFL Thread 

Post#1742 » by Jikkle » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:11 pm

ChrisPozz wrote:
Read on Twitter

"Some team" as in the 49ers.

Unless Snyder blows Cousins away with an offer at the last minute, is crazy and spiteful enough to franchise him again for a 3rd time, or Cousins sustains a significant injury this upcoming season it's almost certain he becomes a 9er next year.

Cousins wants it bad, Shanahan wants it bad, and the 9ers have more than enough cap space to do it.
ChrisPozz
RealGM
And1: 450

Post#1743 » by ChrisPozz » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:14 am

Woody Paige: John Elway will become NFL's highest-paid VP/GM shortly

http://gazette.com/woody-paige-john-elway-will-become-nfls-highest-paid-vpgm-shortly/article/1607192

I get it. I like a ton of what you get from Elway and kind of always wanted to give him a shot, though anybody and their dog had to know it was only going to be with one organization.

When I disagree with him in the draft, however, I often have disagreed with HARD. That's one of my only gripes about him. When I think he's swung and missed, I have thought it's going to be a big miss (e.g. Brock Osweiler, Cody Latimer, Ty Sambrailo, Russell Okung, Aqib Talib for character, etc.). Obviously I haven't always been right on the things I thought would be big misses. Still, I absolutely love a lot of what he's done and I always loved listening to him from the very start when he got the big title there.

Anyway, at the same time, that title will be short lived as there's going to be a bunch of big names coming up for new contracts that could and probably should just sneak by him a bit assuming the Broncos didn't go far above and beyond here.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#1744 » by ChrisPozz » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:34 pm

Former Texas RB D’Onta Foreman arrested early Sunday

http://www.hookem.com/2017/07/16/former-texas-rb-donta-foreman-arrested-early-sunday/

This is following him showing up to May camp out of shape and overweight.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 225

Post#1745 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:59 pm

Ezekiel Elliott - RB - Cowboys

Dallas PD released a statement saying they are investigating an alleged assault stemming from a Sunday night altercation in which Ezekiel Elliott was reportedly involved.

The statement did not mention Elliott or anyone else as a suspect, and the alleged victim does not know who assaulted him. The incident did take place at the same bar Elliott was reported to have had an altercation, however. Already expected to hand down a short suspension for Elliott stemming from domestic violence allegations last summer, an NFL spokesperson said the league is "aware of" this situation "and looking into it to understand the facts."
Source: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Jul 17 - 10:13 AM

Ezekiel Elliott - RB - Cowboys

TMZ Sports reports a witness saw Ezekiel Elliott punch a man at a Dallas-area bar Sunday night.

A video shows the victim laying on the ground after the incident, but there is no video of the actual altercation. The victim suffered a broken nose. Despite a witness identifying Elliott as the assailant, police did not make any arrests because of a lack of information and the fact the witness appeared to be intoxicated. Police also did not speak with Elliott because he was gone by the time they arrived. No charges have been filed at this time.
Source: TMZ Sports

Jul 17 - 11:31 AM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#1746 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:30 pm

Kirk Cousins - QB - Redskins

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports the Redskins made their best contract offer to franchise-tagged Kirk Cousins in May.

The offer was up from the ridiculous $20 million per year Washington had been offering, but the annual average still fell short of the $24 million Cousins will earn this year on the tag and only contained two guaranteed years, according to Pelissero. These details show the Redskins were not serious about signing Cousins to a long-term deal, so it is not surprising he seems more than happy to play out this season under the terms of the tag. The two sides still have until 4 pm ET today to work out a deal, but it is not going to happen.
Source: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Jul 17 - 8:40 AM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#1747 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:13 pm

Dave Gettleman - G - Free Agent

Panthers fired GM Dave Gettleman.

To call this move shocking would be an understatement. The Panthers did suffer through a disappointing 6-10 season in 2016, but they had been to the playoffs in Gettleman's other three years in charge including a Super Bowl berth in 2015. Gettleman is also a respected talent evaluator who drafted well during his time in Carolina. All of that suggests something behind the scenes prompted this move. It is worth noting star TE Greg Olsen has thrown around the idea of a holdout, LB Thomas Davis is entering his contract year, and Gettleman did not handle the departures of either Steve Smith or Josh Norman particularly well, a fact NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports bothered owner Jerry Richardson. Brandon Beane, who likely would have been the top in-house replacement, accepted the Bills' GM job in May.
Source: panthers.com

Jul 17 - 12:28 PM
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#1748 » by ChrisPozz » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:30 pm

Read on Twitter

Please make this happen for them again. Remember they already just lost Brandon Beane to Buffalo (former Niners option).
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#1749 » by NinerSickness » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:37 am

The deadline for the 'Skins to extend Kirk Cousins' contract passed today.

ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#1750 » by ChrisPozz » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:24 pm

ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#1751 » by ChrisPozz » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:37 pm

The MMQB Mailbag: Don’t Assume Kirk Cousins Will End Up in San Francisco . . . Plus Your Thoughts on the All-Time Draft

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/07/19/kirk-cousins-washington-redskins-themmqb-all-time-draft-reader-responses?utm_campaign=themmqb&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#1752 » by ChrisPozz » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:52 pm

ChrisPozz wrote:Jaguars DE Dante Fowler arrested in St. Petersburg

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/jaguars-de-dante-fowler-arrested-in-st-petersburg/2330847

Read on Twitter
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#1753 » by NinerSickness » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:29 am

Mike Williams to have season-ending back surgery?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2716122-mike-williams-reportedly-may-need-season-ending-surgery-for-back-injury

Chargers can't catch a friggn' break. It might be time for them to think about trading Phillip Rivers while he still has value, so they can rebuild.

...Trade him to the 49ers, that is. :nod:
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#1754 » by NinerSickness » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:34 am

ChrisPozz wrote:
ChrisPozz wrote:Jaguars DE Dante Fowler arrested in St. Petersburg

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/jaguars-de-dante-fowler-arrested-in-st-petersburg/2330847

Read on Twitter

Armstead for Fowler on a buy-low proposition? :wink:
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#1755 » by ChrisPozz » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:57 pm

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-cornerbacks-bears-camp-preview-spt-0720-20170719-story.html

Currently on roster: 9.

Projected on final roster: 5.

Roster locks: Prince Amukamara, Marcus Cooper.

Good bets: Cre'Von LeBlanc, Bryce Callahan.

On the bubble: Kyle Fuller, Johnthan Banks, Sherrick McManis.

Practice squad candidates: None.

Camp depth: B.W. Webb, Rashaad Reynolds.

Fuller would be on my emergency list of CB names if he's available at some point. I worry a little bit about Fangio's comments about his desire to come back but if I felt good about all that, he'd be on there.

Damning evaluation signals Kyle Fuller's time with Bears running out

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/ct-kyle-fuller-vic-fangio-biggs-spt-1221-20161220-column.html

OT: Lorenzo Jerome, who was one of my favorite UDFAs league wide and somebody I wanted drafted, has spent time at CB and nickel, and whether or not that was just for a look see for versatility options I don't know, but I don't like him at any CB spot at all.

He's a move safety exclusively in my mind and somebody I'd love to see given the chance or a little more leeway than others if it's not completely unwarranted through camp.

Just pointing that out because soon when you start to see these roster projections, I would never put Jerome into the CB discussion when coming up with the numbers. He doesn't factor into that for me at all.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#1756 » by ChrisPozz » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:04 pm

Source: Free-agent WR Anquan Boldin will visit the Buffalo Bills on Monday.

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0680110784465869111-4

A Zay Jones-Anquan Boldin meeting room would be an interesting thing IMO.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#1757 » by ChrisPozz » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:07 pm

Falcons' roster projection enhanced by Dontari Poe, rookies

http://www.espn.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/68125/falcons-roster-projection-enhanced-by-dontari-poe-rookies

RUNNING BACKS (3): Devonta Freeman, Tevin Coleman, B.J. Daniels

Freeman and Coleman, with a combined 4,527 yards from scrimmage and 39 touchdowns over the past two seasons, form arguably the best 1-2 running back combo in the league. Daniels, a college quarterback, has played quarterback, running back and receiver in the NFL and also has return ability, so he's the wild card to surpass Terron Ward as the No. 3. Rookie draft pick Brian Hill struggled in minicamp but has potential.

I was more interested in him as a move TE when he was drafted by the Niners but watching him try to get that 3rd spot will be an interesting roster battle.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#1758 » by ChrisPozz » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:59 pm

Jim Harbaugh hires ex-49ers executive Tom Gamble at Michigan

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/07/21/jim-harbaugh-hires-ex-49ers-executive-tom-gamble-at-michigan/

This is interesting on so many different levels. Partially because I'm part Buckeyes fan.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#1759 » by ChrisPozz » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:05 pm

ChrisPozz wrote:Former Texas RB D’Onta Foreman arrested early Sunday

http://www.hookem.com/2017/07/16/former-texas-rb-donta-foreman-arrested-early-sunday/

This is following him showing up to May camp out of shape and overweight.

Report: D’Onta Foreman tests negative for marijuana, according to attorney

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/07/21/report-donta-foreman-tests-negative-for-marijuana-according-to-attorney/
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#1760 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:36 pm

Next year both Sammy Watkins and DeAndre Hopkins will be FAs. I say we go after both of them:

DeAndre Hopkins - WR - Texans

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports walk-year WR DeAndre Hopkins will report on time to camp.

Hopkins staged a one-day holdout at the start of last year's camp to protest a lack of contract talks, but the situation looks like it is a little better this year. Hopkins said in June he loves playing for the Texans, and GM Rick Smith said in March the team is "intent" on signing Hopkins to an extension. Of course, he still does not have a new deal as he enters the final year of his rookie contract, so the positive words have yet to turn into action. Perhaps that will change during camp.
Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Jul 23 - 5:05 PM

Return to San Francisco 49ers