What's In Store for Oakland A's Sonny Gray

Moderator: HMFFL

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,900

What's In Store for Oakland A's Sonny Gray 

Post#1 » by HMFFL » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:33 pm

Sonny Gray once again showed us he is a great pitcher, in case you needed a reminder. Wednesday he made his first impression on spring training with two solid innings and a few strikeouts. It wasn't perfect, but for his first game action in months proved he is worthy of a third consecutive Opening Day start.

He is just 26-years old and is making his third Opening Day start in his third full season in the bigs. That is impressive. I began to ponder Gray's future, not necessarily as an Athletic, because we all know how that might turn out. I took a look into what makes Gray successful to see if there are clues as to what he might become.

As a 25-year old last season Gray a 2.73 ERA and finished just a shade below 4 fWAR. His FIP was a solid 3.45, his K-BB% was 13.2, and his GB/FB ratio was 1.72. He is a pitcher that knows how to limit baserunners and runs. He relies on weak contact on balls hit on the ground, but can get a strikeout or two when needed. It is a unique set of skills. http://www.athleticsnation.com/2016/3/11/11194844/whats-in-store-for-oakland-as-sonny-gray
Prince12
RealGM
And1: 2,750

Re: What's In Store for Oakland A's Sonny Gray 

Post#2 » by Prince12 » Fri Apr 8, 2016 10:15 am

1-0
@mkebucksaus just kicking off. Give it a follow!

https://twitter.com/mkebucksaus
StackG00dman
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#3 » by StackG00dman » Wed Jul 5, 2017 6:53 am

Looks like team is banking on being good by the time the new park opens up. Sonny would be 32/33 by that time if it all goes well. Hasnt been Sonny in a while. Astros need some starting pitching.... He gone. Hopefully we can get some prospects for him
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,900

Post#4 » by HMFFL » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:42 pm

Everything is indicating that Sonny will be moved before the trade deadline.
The New York Yankees appears to be the top team as for now. Correct if that's not accurate.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#5 » by FNQ » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:06 pm

I'm not sure if I'm an A's fan anymore, but the return for Gray, IMO, was underwhelming. 2 guys who are out for the year plus Jorge Mateo, an all-speed type with little else to hang his hat on.

On the plus side, we're stockpiling youth and there was no rumor of Khris Davis getting dealt, so all of that is positive. The negative - our young arms are severely lacking and Fowler instantly becomes our best young OF by about a mile, devestating knee injury or not

Return to Oakland Athletics