Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,662

New $50k rule claims first victim? 

Post#1 » by Smitty731 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:54 pm

**Cross-post from Trades & Transactions Forum**

Hey all!

Thought you might like to read a Twitter thread I did on the new $50k guarantee rule impacting a potential waiver claim for Quinn Cook, who was let go by the Pelicans a few days ago.

Read on Twitter

Start with that tweet and it will open the whole thread.

Thanks!

Smitty
DBoys
Starter
And1: 221

Re: New $50k rule claims first victim? 

Post#2 » by DBoys » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:15 pm

I'm not sure how Cook is a victim here. He apparently isn't a player good enough to where teams are sure they want him on their 15-man (because no one is willing to even invest 100K in the ability to have him on their team this year), but would like the option to have him on a 2-way or a GL deal (perhaps using an Exhibit 10 process) if they sign him and he doesn't make the 15-man.

His situation ...
1 He got his 25K guarantee, from being waived
2 Now he'll perhaps sign a brand new deal with someone, maybe a 2-way, or maybe an Exhibit 10 where he'll get another 50K in guarantee money when it's done.
3 And he'll land in GL this season, which is what his skill level seems to merit, based on actions by teams.

Am I missing anything?
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by Smitty731 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:11 pm

DBoys wrote:I'm not sure how Cook is a victim here. He apparently isn't a player good enough to where teams are sure they want him on their 15-man (because no one is willing to even invest 100K in the ability to have him on their team this year), but would like the option to have him on a 2-way or a GL deal (perhaps using an Exhibit 10 process) if they sign him and he doesn't make the 15-man.

His situation ...
1 He got his 25K guarantee, from being waived
2 Now he'll perhaps sign a brand new deal with someone, maybe a 2-way, or maybe an Exhibit 10 where he'll get another 50K in guarantee money when it's done.
3 And he'll land in GL this season, which is what his skill level seems to merit, based on actions by teams.

Am I missing anything?

My take on it was that several teams were willing to claim him, but since they couldn't then have him as an affiliate player due to the $50k rule, they didn't bother. So, instead of being claimed, getting his $100k and being on an NBA team, now he has to catch on somewhere else, likely for less of a guarantee.

On the flip side, he now gets to pick his next destination. And he certainly could get more than $100k guaranteed in the end. I was simply going off having multiple teams tell me directly that they would not claim him because of the $50k rule.
DBoys
Starter
And1: 221

Post#4 » by DBoys » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:11 pm

"....and being on an NBA team..."

This is not about him losing a shot at the NBA. He's just losing a few dollars before he plays in the GL.

If he were worthy of an NBA slot at all, that wasn't altered. He can still get one. Just go sign a deal with anyone.

And if he would have been claimed, that team could have sent him for some or much of the year to GL as an NBA send-down. Apparently no team saw him as much likelihood to be good enough for their NBA roster - and that, rather than the rules, is why they declined.

In essence, this is a GL-caliber guy. In prior years, he may have made a few more dollars before ending up in GL. But while the money will be a bit different (now a max to him of 75K rather than 100K), the end result of where he plays is still the same: G-League.
MarkDeeks
Junior
And1: 553

Post#5 » by MarkDeeks » Tue Sep 5, 2017 9:52 pm

Smitty731 wrote:**Cross-post from Trades & Transactions Forum**

Hey all!

Thought you might like to read a Twitter thread I did on the new $50k guarantee rule impacting a potential waiver claim for Quinn Cook, who was let go by the Pelicans a few days ago.

Read on Twitter

Thanks!

Smitty

Never thought to match the Twitter handle and the forum handle before. Seems obvious now.
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Smitty731 » Wed Sep 6, 2017 1:17 am

MarkDeeks wrote:
Smitty731 wrote:**Cross-post from Trades & Transactions Forum**

Hey all!

Read on Twitter

Thanks!

Smitty

Never thought to match the Twitter handle and the forum handle before. Seems obvious now.

I hope in a good way, but I fear not.

Return to CBA & Business