ImageImageImageImageImage

Around the MLB

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb

Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,638

Re: Around the MLB 

Post#121 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:42 am

Hellickson traded. Baltimore gives up Hyun Soo Kim international bonus pool money as a part of the deal.

Amazing how they give up international bonus pool money like it's nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#122 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:42 am

Btw.

Excited or bitter about Beltre closing in on 3,000 hits?

I'm a little bittersweet about it but he's been a joy to watch over the years.

HOF

“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Feelings on Beltre 

Post#123 » by Ranma » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:01 am

Quake Griffin wrote:Btw.

Excited or bitter about Beltre closing in on 3,000 hits?

I'm a little bittersweet about it but he's been a joy to watch over the years.

HOF

I'm more bitter than excited mostly because I hate Boras for steering him out of town. He was my favorite Dodger during his time here. I still like him but I can't root for him in another uniform.
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM

New Member of 3,000-Hit Club 

Post#124 » by Ranma » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:36 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#125 » by Neddy » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:38 pm

congrats to old dodger! i remember him like it was yesterday, when he first came up at age 17. can't believe Adrian's career has come thus far to get to 3000.

Adrian can now join Stan "the Man" Ross!
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#126 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:20 pm

I hate Dave Dumb Browski with a passion.
He will take any great thing and ruin it by dealing all the prospects for ready now players.

The Red Sox ownership should have seen this coming when they hired him. Just LMAO at how much he has dealt from a farm he didn't help create.

With that said....
3 prospects sent for Addison Reed. Takes a chess piece off the board for us.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Around the MLB 

Post#127 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:52 pm

Brian Cashman - one of the best in the business.

Funny how the Yankees went from looking not good at all, to promising, to October contenders with solid SP and a bullpen that's nails.

Frazier and Gleyber are still in the fold for the Yankees as well. Best part of it all.

Winners win. Losers lose.
Dave Dummies Dave Dummy.
I hate both teams equally but will LOL if the Yankees take the east from those boys.

Ranma
RealGM

Thank Jeebus No 

Post#128 » by Ranma » Fri Aug 4, 2017 6:10 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Neddy
RealGM

Re: Thank Jeebus No 

Post#129 » by Neddy » Fri Aug 4, 2017 8:42 pm

Ranma wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

wut

like we needed more reasons to hate the Gnats.

and it would have been very hard to still be a dodger fan if Jered the Russianagent Kushner was our owner.

what a near disaster we missed.
ehhhhh f it.
Ranma
RealGM

Picture Perfect 

Post#130 » by Ranma » Sat Aug 5, 2017 8:10 am

Read on Twitter
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#131 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Aug 7, 2017 12:10 pm

On the subject of drafting, development, maintaining the pipeline etc. etc.

Take a look at the Texas Rangers:
2 WS trips in 2010 and 2011.
Had a good farm.
Good developmental system.

They trade 4 players for Cole Hamels.
2 for Lucroy (one being a stud OF).

In less than a year's time, it looks like this organization should have held on to its prospects. They're not a good major league team. The farm is thin and they got back fat Willie for Yu.

Baseball America dropped its organizational rankings:
Texas and the Red Sox were in the bottom 3rd Farm Systems.

Giants and Cubs were bottom of the barrell.

Dodgers were still in the Near-Elite Farm category

I mean. How often are these blockbuster deals worth it for the team acquiring the "superstar"?

Ranma
RealGM

Ump Finally Gets Suspended 

Post#132 » by Ranma » Wed Aug 9, 2017 2:29 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Major League Pwnage of Patriots' Hubris 

Post#133 » by Ranma » Wed Aug 9, 2017 2:32 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Crawford vs. Verdugo 

Post#134 » by Ranma » Wed Aug 9, 2017 3:45 am

I'm going to say something bordering on blasphemy here. Despite the vast discrepancy in their respective rankings on MLB Pipeline's current top 100, I'd rather have J.P. Crawford (62nd) on the Dodgers for the long-term than Alex Verdugo (28th).

Would that mean that I would trade them for each other straight up right now? No, as that would be a bit of mismanagement of assets. However, if we could package Verdugo, Gavin Lux (9th in Dodgers' system) and filler for Crawford, Daniel Brito (20th in Phillies' system) and either Mickey Moniak (33rd overall) or Sixto Sanchez (52nd), I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger for a second.

This is an unrealistic scenario since current rankings have less emphasis on long-term projections than current production. Moniak is the Philies' best prospect and former 2016 1st overall pick while Sanchez is right behind him as their answer to Yadier Alvarez (51st). As such, I suspect both homegrown products are coveted by Philadelphia more than Verdugo.

I also have to acknowledge that my assertion of Crawford over Verdugo also places me in a suspect position given that I've also been pointedly critical of Billy Gasparino for selecting Hunter Renfroe over him as well. Renfroe is batting slightly better in MLB at .235 than Crawford's .231 in AAA, plus, Renfroe has 20 homers to boot. Maybe I'm stubbornly myopic but I still like Crawford over either Renfroe and Verdugo in the long-term, though time is running out for me to hold onto this position.

While I certainly think Verdugo will hit for a higher average than Renfroe as a Major Leaguer, I just don't see him ever developing power as he's already physically developed for his stocky body type. In fact, I think he can only go down from here if and when he gains weight. Likewise, Renfroe certainly has exhibited in-game power in the Show but I seriously have doubts he'll ever be much better than a .250 hitter. At the same time, he presents the potential of being a big-time power bat capable of averaging over 30 HRs for a big chunk of his career.

Meanwhile, Crawford has been struggling with his bat this season, which explains his drastic drop in the prospect rankings. He's faster than Verdugo but not really a speed demon on the base paths as an average runner, but he's still only 22 years old, takes walks and doesn't strike out much. While it's certainly not a sure thing, Crawford still has upside in his bat with his advanced approach at the plate and he's already an outstanding defender at SS with a strong arm.

The Dodgers already have a similar player in Ronny Brito in the system but Brito bats right-handed while Crawford swings lefty and is the better fielder. Verdugo definitely looks to be the safer bet right now to be a solid MLB player but I still like his upside. Admittedly, while I like to "swing for the fences" with first-round draft picks, that philosophy is not as appropriate for players 5 years into their professional career in the minor leagues. Like I said, time is running out for Crawford to show progress as a hitter but his glove is already more than ready for the big leagues.

Read on Twitter
Neddy
RealGM

Re: Crawford vs. Verdugo 

Post#135 » by Neddy » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:04 am

Ranma wrote:'m going to say something bordering on blasphemy here.

yo Ranma, where are you going to put JP?

Cody's got the first base locked down for next 15 years if we can sign him when he hits FA in 6 years.
Corey's the SS of today and tomorrow. same as Cody.
Turner is the oldest, but into the first year of his 5 year deal.

only spot in the infield that we could use a guy like Crawford, is the 2nd base. but as of right now we have Forsythe whom I believe the FO will bring back in similar capacity, and even Utley may sign another 1 year deal. Barnes plays 2nd. carrying 3 catchers, we can have Grandal and Barnes out there at the same time. but the person that is most likely to win the 2nd come 2018, imo will be Chris Taylor. he is a natural infielder who is having a breakout season. his offense is too great to sit him down for a defensive upgrade. next season, Andrew Toles, Trayce Thompson, Rob Segedin will be ready by Spring Training as well crowding the field even more. that is on top of having Puig-Kike-Joc on the roster locks.

Crawford is too close to the majors right now at AAA too, and his path is blocked thus little leverage is there when we want to trade him. I think our own guys in the farm, such as Ronny Brito and Errol Robinson are just as good of defensive SS who are little further down in the system, allowing some maneuvering before we stuff JP in AAA purgatory for the next 3 years.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#136 » by Quake Griffin » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:19 am

How did Crawford drop so far in the rankings?

I thought he was somewhere in the top 15.
Ranma
RealGM

No Room for Crawford 

Post#137 » by Ranma » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:37 am

Neddy wrote:yo Ranma, where are you going to put JP?

I'm actually glad you brought this up and called me out on it, Neddy. My initial impression was that there would be no room for Verdugo and Crawford could be stashed longer. After thinking about it afterwards, I realized I was wrong on both counts. Regardless of prospect rankings, trade value and roster-spot vacancy, I like Crawford better in a vacuum more than Verdugo for the long-term.

Having said that, you're right. Things seem more aligned to have Verdugo on the MLB roster in 2018 even if he doesn't start the season there. Ethier will not be on the roster next year. Trayce Thompson is playing himself into being Van Slyked. I'm not concerned much with Segedin. Toles should be ready next year. Pederson still needs to figure things out at the plate.

Verdugo seems to be in line to be Puig's eventual replacement, but with Pederson struggling to find consistency in his bat, he could find a regular role in CF while Kendall is still developing.

Crawford, on the other hand, is currently blocked by Freddy Galvis in Philadelphia but Galvis will be a free agent and J.P. seems slated to be on the roster by next season. While his glove is flashy, he has a bit of Jose Offerman in him in being error prone. I thought we could stash him longer in our system but time is actually running out for him in the minors.

My thinking was to have Crawford take over SS when we move Seager to 3B, but that won't happen any time soon. From a timing and logistics perspective, you're right, it doesn't make sense to trade for him.

I keep having the thought that we will eventually either sign Bryce Harper as a free agent or trade for Mike Trout, which makes Verdugo expendable IMO. If we ever do trade for Trout, Verdugo might actually have to be a part of that package. Then again,
I also think we'll be pursuing Manny Machado in free agency, so Crawford's presence makes even less sense in that regard.
Ranma
RealGM

Crawford's Struggle with the Bat 

Post#138 » by Ranma » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:45 am

Quake Griffin wrote:How did Crawford drop so far in the rankings?

I thought he was somewhere in the top 15.

Crawford was on the verge of being the best prospect in baseball but Moncada blocked him and he went into a tailspin with his bat.

While he has an advanced approach at the plate and makes a lot of contact without striking out much and drawing a lot of walks, Crawford started the year off miserably with the bat, which caused his precipitous drop in the mid-term ranking. However, he has since started to bat well again but his average is still lower than currently the same as Hunter Renfroe's Major League batting average.

The funny thing is that Verdugo has had a banner year at the plate but has been slumping of late.
Ranma
RealGM

Jeter Now Part Owner of Marlins 

Post#139 » by Ranma » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:13 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Rule Changes Being Worked On 

Post#140 » by Ranma » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:57 am

Read on Twitter

Return to Los Angeles Dodgers