ImageImageImageImageImage

My Sunday Afternoon sitting next to Scott Perry & Steve Mills - UPDATE pg 7 - Delvec is a hero!!!

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

delvec19
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,917

My Sunday Afternoon sitting next to Scott Perry & Steve Mills - UPDATE pg 7 - Delvec is a hero!!! 

Post#1 » by delvec19 » Mon Aug 7, 2017 8:36 pm

OK let me start by saying I rarely ever post on this forum anymore, just more of a lurker and in-season game thread commenter once in a while. But I HAD to share this.

My friends and I always do some sort of baseball road trip in the summer. This year was 2 Yankees @ Cleveland games Fri and Sat nights. Then we figured we hit up Pittsburgh on the way back Sunday. My other friend decided he would meet up with us last minute and ended up buying a 1st row seat to the Pitt game (since they were so cheap $90!) Right next to the visitor dugout on the field basically. I went and sat with him since there was an empty seat.

All of a sudden these 2 guys come down and I didn't really give them a good look at first since you never expect it be anyone important. I had casual talk with Scott without even knowing it was him at first. Talking about good the seats were and how we had to watch out for passed balls by the first baseman. After a few mins I glanced at him and the guy he was with...that's when I realized it was Scott Perry and Steve Mills. Both wearing Steelers caps. It took me another inning to get the guts to tell them that I knew who they were and that I was a big Knicks fan!

They told me they were both in town visiting the Steelers practice and training camp. They could not have been any nicer and more down to the earth. I stressed how big of a fan I was among other topics and said that majority of us fans were for a legit rebuild, they brought this point up again later and I told them yes absolutely we fans are willing to wait years and that want it built the right way. To build around KP, Willy, and Frank specifically. One of my early questions and I couldn't believe I asked it, but I brought up Melo and what's going on with him...they decided to get pretty mum about it and then they said "just wait and see". I didn't wanna pry any further than that. We also talked about the rookies, Frank's injury, Dotson, and they brought up they were impressed with Kornet. They brought up how the media thinks they speak for the fans and I 100% agreed and told them guys like Isola and Berman were jokes. They laughed. We discussed how it's simply a player's league, the Warrior's stranglehold on the league (including how they built their team with draft picks and were able to land Durant). I brought up if they thought LeBron was leaving Cleveland, Perry gave me a subtle nod of the head. I brushed upon Kyrie, but I didn't ask if they were after him. I just made it a point that we were over going after other teams' superstars and that we wanted a home grown team of our own.

My friends decided to hit the road unfortunately around the 6th inning since it was a long drive home to NJ (surprised those 2 stayed as long as they did), wish I could have talked more, but we shook their hands, congratulated them again on their new jobs and thanked them for their time.

EDIT: Here's my proof, I was too shy to ask them for a legit pic, but my buddy snapped a candid shot here haha

JXL
General Manager
And1: 8,382

Re: My Sunday Afternoon sitting next to Scott Perry & Steve Mills at the Pirates game 

Post#2 » by JXL » Mon Aug 7, 2017 8:40 pm

Interesting. Did you ask them if they're moving Noah's contract sometime before training camp?
BIRD UP!
#OGKENOBI

Follow me on X: @sirJXL
delvec19
Assistant Coach

Re: My Sunday Afternoon sitting next to Scott Perry & Steve Mills at the Pirates game 

Post#3 » by delvec19 » Mon Aug 7, 2017 8:43 pm

JXL wrote:Interesting. Did you ask them if they're moving Noah's contract sometime before training camp?

I never brought up Noah unfortunately haha.
JXL
General Manager
And1: 8,382

Post#4 » by JXL » Mon Aug 7, 2017 8:45 pm

delvec19 wrote:
JXL wrote:Interesting. Did you ask them if they're moving Noah's contract sometime before training camp?

I never brought up Noah unfortunately haha.

Too bad, cause they might just droop their heads knowing that contract is an anchor.

That's cool though. So that must mean the "Anthony to the Rockets" trade might get done sooner than later.
BIRD UP!
#OGKENOBI

Follow me on X: @sirJXL
symbiotic
Sixth Man
And1: 705

Post#5 » by symbiotic » Mon Aug 7, 2017 8:46 pm

Thank you for re-iterating to them that Knick fans know what it takes to rebuild a team the right way and trust the process. It's amazing to hear feedback from the people who actually make the decisions.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 89,960

Post#6 » by Capn'O » Mon Aug 7, 2017 8:46 pm

You are a gentleman and a scholar. Thanks for sharing and thanks for communicating the Good Fight.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Rodimus921
Veteran
And1: 101

Post#7 » by Rodimus921 » Mon Aug 7, 2017 8:48 pm

Wow great job. I saw Mills when he was under Thomas back in 2007 in a Borders book store. I didnt have the guts to ask him anything but Im glad you did. Its good to see that management is willing to talk to the knicks fans on their personal time.
ChaosHamster
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,864

Post#8 » by ChaosHamster » Mon Aug 7, 2017 8:48 pm

Thanks for the write-up. Interesting.

We also talked about the rookies, Frank's injury, Dotson,

What did they tell you?
BowlRips
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,834

Post#9 » by BowlRips » Mon Aug 7, 2017 8:50 pm

Good to see them actually bonding! Feel like Phil made Mills his personal secretary
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,333

Post#10 » by Phish Tank » Mon Aug 7, 2017 8:51 pm

well Scott Perry's a natural Steelers fan since his father was a Steeler.

I wouldn't be surprised if Mills was also a Steelers fan either.
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#11 » by magnumt » Mon Aug 7, 2017 8:52 pm

Did they say anything about Frank?

Thanks for emphasizing that we WANT to keep our youth! :clap:

Also, thanks for sharing your story!

--Mags :beer:
BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,048

Post#12 » by Jalen Bluntson » Mon Aug 7, 2017 8:58 pm

Awesome. You did good telling them we want a real rebuild/homegrown team. Pretty cool story. Wish you could have asked about only playing 5 games in SL. That is a major head scratcher.

Cool shyt
:beer: RIP mags
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 99,637

Post#13 » by mpharris36 » Mon Aug 7, 2017 9:01 pm

magnumt wrote:Did they say anything about Frank?

Thanks for emphasizing that we WANT to keep our youth! :clap:

Also, thanks for sharing your story!

seriously, im glad they didn't bump into 3tothemelo :lol: :lol:

im sure execs don't take everything us fans say to heart but the fact that he said we are really focused on youth and will support the team through the rebuild.

I wish he asked if they already have there sigths on next years draft class ***cough doncic cough***
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#14 » by magnumt » Mon Aug 7, 2017 9:01 pm

Are We Ther Yet wrote:Awesome. You did good telling them we want a real rebuild/homegrown team. Pretty cool story. Wish you could have asked about only playing 5 games in SL. That is a major head scratcher.

Cool shyt

I have a strong feeling they might add it switch back to the Vegas SL next year. Doing Orlando was Phil's thing IIRC. :dontknow:

BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6
delvec19
Assistant Coach

Post#15 » by delvec19 » Mon Aug 7, 2017 9:01 pm

Phish Tank wrote:well Scott Perry's a natural Steelers fan since his father was a Steeler.

I wouldn't be surprised if Mills was also a Steelers fan either.

Yup he told me that's how they got the seats to the game. Someone high up in the Steelers organization (forgot the name)
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 99,637

Post#16 » by mpharris36 » Mon Aug 7, 2017 9:02 pm

this is awesome delvec...got some nice info out of them without being obnoxious...wished you got in a question about the 2018 draft class and what players were peaking there interest already... :lol:
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
delvec19
Assistant Coach

Post#17 » by delvec19 » Mon Aug 7, 2017 9:03 pm

ChaosHamster wrote:Thanks for the write-up. Interesting.

We also talked about the rookies, Frank's injury, Dotson,

What did they tell you?

I basically asked have they seen any play from Frank since his injury, they said no but should be fine for camp. They really love the player's they've brought in this offseason.
adjacent2bench
RealGM
And1: 7,476

Post#18 » by adjacent2bench » Mon Aug 7, 2017 9:04 pm

Dude, you did great. Thanks for sharing. It's great that they hear from true fans that we're fine and excited about a rebuild.
delvec19
Assistant Coach

Post#19 » by delvec19 » Mon Aug 7, 2017 9:07 pm

Yeah guys, trust me I wish I had more time to talk with them and that i could have wracked my brain for more interesting topics and questions but being so overwhelmed in that moment... I did the best I could do haha.
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,867

Post#20 » by NoLayupRule » Mon Aug 7, 2017 9:08 pm

Awesome stuff

Return to New York Knicks