ImageImageImageImageImage

[Community Thread] Welcome To New York! - Intros Here Too

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Jrod89
Ballboy
And1: 33

Re: [Community Thread] Welcome To New York! - Intros Here Too 

Post#541 » by Jrod89 » Tue Aug 8, 2017 5:56 pm

I made a thread for suggestions on somewhere to eat in NYC y was it locked? I have seen many threads like this and other random threads y lock it with no explanation ?
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,011

Post#542 » by King of Canada » Tue Aug 8, 2017 6:12 pm

Jrod89 wrote:I made a thread for suggestions on somewhere to eat in NYC y was it locked? I have seen many threads like this and other random threads y lock it with no explanation ?

We don't generally have many OT threads going and try to keep them in check. Threads like this one are great for random OT questions and discussion.

What kind of restaurant are you looking for? Something fancy, or just some good hardy local food?
BAF Pacers

F. Campazzo/ J. Clarkson/ K. Lewis Jr
D. Mitchell/ J. Richardson/S. Merrill
Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

F. Mason, Jontay, J. Harris

RIP mags :beer:
Jrod89
Ballboy

Post#543 » by Jrod89 » Tue Aug 8, 2017 6:27 pm

Dosnt need to be fancy we have been multiple times over the years and have been sick of all the chains and carmines etc just wanted something diff we are open to anything . Steak, Italian etc
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#544 » by magnumt » Tue Aug 8, 2017 8:03 pm

Jrod89 wrote:Dosnt need to be fancy we have been multiple times over the years and have been sick of all the chains and carmines etc just wanted something diff we are open to anything . Steak, Italian etc

Brooklyn and Queens have a TON of great old school Italian places to eat.

Long Island has more pricier but more classy and great for "Date Night" type places. Definitely more homey than the ones in Manhattan.

Great Neck in Long Island has some GREAT options.

--Mags :beer:
BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#545 » by King of Canada » Tue Aug 8, 2017 8:08 pm

magnumt wrote:
Jrod89 wrote:Dosnt need to be fancy we have been multiple times over the years and have been sick of all the chains and carmines etc just wanted something diff we are open to anything . Steak, Italian etc

Long Island has more pricier but more classy and great for "Date Night" type places. Definitely more homey than the ones in Manhattan.

Up for some BBQ? Carl Ruiz recommended this place if in Manhattan

https://mobile.twitter.com/BlueSmokeNYC
BAF Pacers

Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

Jrod89
Ballboy

Post#546 » by Jrod89 » Tue Aug 8, 2017 8:45 pm

That BBQ place sounds good.anything within 15 min of the Gotham comedy club
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,258
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#547 » by BKlutch » Wed Aug 9, 2017 4:16 pm

King of Canada wrote:
magnumt wrote:

Up for some BBQ? Carl Ruiz recommended this place if in Manhattan

https://mobile.twitter.com/BlueSmokeNYC

I've been to the Blue Smoke on 27th St. and loved it. It's a fun and delicious way to have a casual dinner - but way way too messy for a hot date.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#548 » by magnumt » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:17 pm

BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#549 » by King of Canada » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:29 pm

So, the trip to DC seems like it's going to happen. Am I a mad man if I catch a train into Manhattan to catch a Knicks game, and then train back out to DC all without sleeping? It has to happen. Can't wait for the schedule to drop. I'll be savage if we're not at home.
BAF Pacers

Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

BKlutch
RealGM

Post#550 » by BKlutch » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:24 pm

King of Canada wrote:So, the trip to DC seems like it's going to happen. Am I a mad man if I catch a train into Manhattan to catch a Knicks game, and then train back out to DC all without sleeping? It has to happen. Can't wait for the schedule to drop. I'll be savage if we're not at home.

I know guys who go to DC from NYC and come back in the same day. If you want to save some time, use the Acela - it's the faster train, by far. The regular Amtrak makes all local stops.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#551 » by br7knicks » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:04 pm

how is kawhi a lower rating than KD? kawhi is the best player in the NBA right now...FOH
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
BKlutch
RealGM

Post#552 » by BKlutch » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:56 pm

br7knicks wrote:how is kawhi a lower rating than KD? kawhi is the best player in the NBA right now...FOH

Michael Jordan himself recently said Kawhi is the best 2 way player in the NBA at this time. Maybe he needs to defer to the ratings, too. :lol:

br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#553 » by br7knicks » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:21 pm

hey, so does anyone here play poker online?

i know it's not technically legal in the NY, but does running your account through paypal negate that whole wording of being legal or not?

if it is, can i use my VPN to play?
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#554 » by King of Canada » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:17 pm

SO, it looks like the Knicks are at home Nov 1st vs the Rockets. I'm going to try to get into the city to possibly see Melo's first game back (will be just outside of DC that week). Anybody have season tickets that they sell? Not much on Stubhub yet and singletickets aren't up yet to buy direct.
BAF Pacers

Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,324

Post#555 » by Mecca » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:07 am

2 months ago I went for an X-Ray for my aching shoulder. Dr. told me X-Rays were negative, did some tests, and told me I was fine. Up until last week, I had still been in pain and went for an MRI. Turns out I tore my labrum and my scapula. Only way to describe it is heartbreaking as the gym is pretty much my life/passion.

I don't think I'll need surgery. Has anyone recovered here without surgery and how long were they out of commission?
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
BKlutch
RealGM

Post#556 » by BKlutch » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:24 am

Mecca wrote:2 months ago I went for an X-Ray for my aching shoulder. Dr. told me X-Rays were negative, did some tests, and told me I was fine. Up until last week, I had still been in pain and went for an MRI. Turns out I tore my labrum and my scapula. Only way to describe it is heartbreaking as the gym is pretty much my life/passion.

I don't think I'll need surgery. Has anyone recovered here without surgery and how long were they out of commission?

It took me six months to feel 90% better. A woman friend just did this and was told 4-6 months, but I think that if she wanted to work out or was really athletic, it would be longer. Now I still feel it for about 5 minutes in the morning, but I never notice it again after that. So if I don't throw my cutter, I could still pitch for the Yankees.

Mecca
RealGM

Post#557 » by Mecca » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:38 am

BKlutch wrote:
Mecca wrote:2 months ago I went for an X-Ray for my aching shoulder. Dr. told me X-Rays were negative, did some tests, and told me I was fine. Up until last week, I had still been in pain and went for an MRI. Turns out I tore my labrum and my scapula. Only way to describe it is heartbreaking as the gym is pretty much my life/passion.

It took me six months to feel 90% better. A woman friend just did this and was told 4-6 months, but I think that if she wanted to work out or was really athletic, it would be longer. Now I still feel it for about 5 minutes in the morning, but I never notice it again after that. So if I don't throw my cutter, I could still pitch for the Yankees.

Thanks for the help man.

I gotta ask, when you tore it, did you have full ROM? The ability to move it without any significant pain? Like I have full ROM, put on shirts, and lifted weights with it for 2 months.
Brooklyn Nets
BKlutch
RealGM

Post#558 » by BKlutch » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:54 am

Mecca wrote:
BKlutch wrote:

Thanks for the help man.

I gotta ask, when you tore it, did you have full ROM? The ability to move it without any significant pain? Like I have full ROM, put on shirts, and lifted weights with it for 2 months.

Almost full ROM - I couldn't use it to scratch the other side of my back. That's how it hurt the most. I had some pain lifting it straight up, but never lost ROM in that direction and that pain subsided much earlier than the one where I had to bend it over to get the other side of my back. Yes, it was my right shoulder, so I carried my (heavy) briefcase to work using either my left hand, or put the strap over my right shoulder (which was also fine).

The problem is most people won't exercise enough to regain full usage. And if you really want to push it, the tendons and ligaments don't really heal, but the muscles grow and protect them. That's why an athlete probably needs surgery - to tolerate the rapid hard movements. If you're not going to push it and only do relative safe gym workouts, you could get by without the surgery. But if you want to slug it out with Mayweather, I'm afraid you'll have to get a great surgeon. (And then a great psychiatrist, because you'd be crazy.)

Mecca
RealGM

Post#559 » by Mecca » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:00 am

BKlutch wrote:
Mecca wrote:
BKlutch wrote:It took me six months to feel 90% better. A woman friend just did this and was told 4-6 months, but I think that if she wanted to work out or was really athletic, it would be longer. Now I still feel it for about 5 minutes in the morning, but I never notice it again after that. So if I don't throw my cutter, I could still pitch for the Yankees.

Thanks for the help man.

Almost full ROM - I couldn't use it to scratch the other side of my back. That's how it hurt the most. I had some pain lifting it straight up, but never lost ROM in that direction and that pain subsided much earlier than the one where I had to bend it over to get the other side of my back. Yes, it was my right shoulder, so I carried my (heavy) briefcase to work using either my left hand, or put the strap over my right shoulder (which was also fine).

The problem is most people won't exercise enough to regain full usage. And if you really want to push it, the tendons and ligaments don't really heal, but the muscles grow and protect them. That's why an athlete probably needs surgery - to tolerate the rapid hard movements. If you're not going to push it and only do relative safe gym workouts, you could get by without the surgery. But if you want to slug it out with Mayweather, I'm afraid you'll have to get a great surgeon. (And then a great psychiatrist, because you'd be crazy.)

Man, I feel your pain. I had to move houses last week and single handedly handled the move for 4 people with a torn labarum. Pain was crazy.

Appreciate the insight and knowledge my man. I've read that it could heal on its own if the tear is minor like mine, so hopefully I'll be cool to lift in a month or so. I know Melo never got surgery for his torn labarum and is cool now.

I'm a hardcore gym-nut and have a lot of lean muscle so I should be protected.
Brooklyn Nets
BKlutch
RealGM

Post#560 » by BKlutch » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:03 am

Mecca wrote:
BKlutch wrote:
Mecca wrote:
Thanks for the help man.

Man, I feel your pain. I had to move houses last week and single handedly handled the move for 4 people with a torn labarum. Pain was crazy.

Appreciate the insight and knowledge my man. I've read that it could heal on its own if the tear is minor like mine, so hopefully I'll be cool to lift in a month or so. I know Melo never got surgery for his torn labarum and is cool now.

I'm a hardcore gym-nut and have a lot of lean muscle so I should be protected.

I think the key is doing the right exercises in the gym, and there's no reason you can't continue to be in shape. I wasn't in great shape when I hurt it - that's part of the reason. I was tired and pushed myself.

Good luck, and remember, if you do decide you want to challenge Mayweather, there's enough crazy guys on this board we could probably get everyone a group discount with a great shrink.

Return to New York Knicks