Wolves Attempting To Re-Sign Shabazz Muhammad

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Wolves Attempting To Re-Sign Shabazz Muhammad 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:36 pm

The Minnesota Timberwolves are attempting to re-sign Shabazz Muhammad in free agency.

The Wolves allowed Muhammad to become an unrestricted free agent after it looked like he wouldn't fit into their plans. The Wolves can only offer Muhammad the veteran's minimum.

Muhammad's market in free agency has been more tepid than some expected.

Via Darren Wolfson/ESPN

ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Re: Wolves Attempting To Re-Sign Shabazz Muhammad 

Post#2 » by ChokeFasncists » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:46 pm

Vet min? He's worth more than that
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,501

Post#3 » by MagicFan101 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:34 pm

ChokeFasncists wrote:Vet min? He's worth more than that

He is but I doubt money is his concern right now. He would likely accept the vet minimum with a team offering him consistent minutes or even a chance at a starting job for one year.

Teams aren't throwing around cash like last year. Without a big offer, surely playing time is his primary focus and Minny can't offer him that. But he sure would be a great piece to round out the rotation there.
dan-man
Sixth Man
And1: 364

Post#4 » by dan-man » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:03 pm

Another victim to the over stated salary cap of 2016. Timofey Mozgov and Lual Deng are ROFL right now.
Bobalob
Bench Warmer
And1: 882

Post#5 » by Bobalob » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:14 am

MagicFan101 wrote:

He is but I doubt money is his concern right now. He would likely accept the vet minimum with a team offering him consistent minutes or even a chance at a starting job for one year.

Teams aren't throwing around cash like last year. Without a big offer, surely playing time is his primary focus and Minny can't offer him that. But he sure would be a great piece to round out the rotation there.

Ehhh idk about that.

Teague, Wiggins, Butler, Crawford 6th man instant scoring (Muhammad's old role) and Jones backup PG

Towns, Deng, Gibson, Patton

There's really no minutes for him he'd be better off taking a 1 year deal on a youthful said where he can get buckets
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,810

Post#6 » by HotelVitale » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:36 am

He's been a pretty junk overall NBA player so far, a tunnel vision weak shooter who plays some of the worst defense around. A lot of that's bad habits but right now he's not worth more than a minimum. I say this as someone that sort of likes him as a player--one of the few modern guys to play bully ball and post dudes up from 18 ft away. He's not worthless but he's not good right now.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#7 » by ChokeFasncists » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:30 am

HotelVitale wrote:

He's been a pretty junk overall NBA player so far, a tunnel vision weak shooter who plays some of the worst defense around. A lot of that's bad habits but right now he's not worth more than a minimum. I say this as someone that sort of likes him as a player--one of the few modern guys to play bully ball and post dudes up from 18 ft away. He's not worthless but he's not good right now.

Ya, he can really score, very suitable as instant offense off the bench IMO.

Maybe he can be the Dion Waitors of next year?
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Jim Dolan
Starter
And1: 470

Post#8 » by Jim Dolan » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:16 pm

He's got a cool name though. Shabazzzzz!
Biscayne Beast
Senior
And1: 594

Post#9 » by Biscayne Beast » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:22 pm

Should sign with the Hawks
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Post#10 » by DoItALL9 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:46 pm

The Lakers should give him a looksie
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,810

Post#11 » by HotelVitale » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:49 pm

ChokeFasncists wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:

Ya, he can really score, very suitable as instant offense off the bench IMO. Maybe he can be the Dion Waitors of next year?

I guess that's his best case, but there are two big differences:
1) Waiters can play the lead guard role to initiate the offense and distribute some, (He's not particularly good at that but he can do it), while Shabazz literally just takes the ball and tries to bully and post his way to the rack (or catches and shoots at a fairly low %). Quick stat to visualize this: Waiters averaged almost seven (7!) times more assists per minute and only 0.3 times more turnovers than Shabazz. There are tunnel vision guards--and then there's Shabazz in a category all his own.
2) Waiters has always just been at defense but Shabazz always had the worst defensive numbers of any rotation player in the whole league (this year he was the absolute lowest overall in DBPM, and second lowest SF in DRPM (behind McDermott)).
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach
And1: 2,323

Post#12 » by ImHeisenberg » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:45 pm

"attempting"? What? No room for the veteran's minimum in their budget? Guy has no market.
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,501

Post#13 » by MagicFan101 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:45 am

Bobalob wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:

Ehhh idk about that.

Teague, Wiggins, Butler, Crawford 6th man instant scoring (Muhammad's old role) and Jones backup PG

Towns, Deng, Gibson, Patton

There's really no minutes for him he'd be better off taking a 1 year deal on a youthful said where he can get buckets

Huh? I said "Without a big offer, surely playing time is his primary focus and Minny can't offer him that."

Return to Wiretap Discussion