ImageImageImageImage

Could AG be our future Center in a few years?

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

T-Cat
Sixth Man
And1: 428

Post#1 » by T-Cat » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:19 pm

He's our most physical player in the post with an emerging offense game and could be a nightmare offensively at the 5 spot!

Obviously Jonathan Isaac could help him defend post players with his length and shot blocking presence, once he gets stronger!

I'm thinking he could be a Anthony Davis/AK47 hybrid player for us!

Imagine if Vogel utilizes this lineup in the future, we could change the way a lot of teams guard us!
Patrick1978
Veteran
And1: 872

Re: Could AG be our future Center in a few years? 

Post#2 » by Patrick1978 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:54 pm

I would like to see a Line-Up of
Simmons
Fournier
Hezonja
Isaac
Gordon

Imo very interesting

Hope that gordon resigns with the magic next year
Magic din romania

Ma numesc petre,sunt de la constanta

Fire Frank Vogel
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,371

Post#3 » by PrimeThyme » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:31 pm

Full time center? Doubtful. But I don't see why he couldn't get significant minutes there similar to what Draymond gets for the warriors.
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,050

Post#4 » by MagicStarwipe » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:50 pm

I really don't agree that he's the most physical player. Isaac seems more physical already just judging by summer league. He's slender, but is not afraid to mix it up. Looks like he could be a really good rebounder too.
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,901

Post#5 » by drsd » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:18 pm

tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,104

Post#6 » by tiderulz » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:38 pm

teams would just dump it to the post and opposing centers would shoot over AG or destroy him in the post. he is not a physical defender
OrlandoMagic
Lead Assistant
And1: 435

Post#7 » by OrlandoMagic » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:06 pm

People must forget physical and athletic don't mean the same thing
bargnanimvp
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,362

Post#8 » by bargnanimvp » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:48 pm

No, AG doesn't bang like a big. He's a good defender but he's better as a perimetre defender or against the more athletic pfs not the beefier centres. If isaac bulks up though a line up with AG and Isaac as our PF/C would be great and very versatile
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,147

Post#9 » by Optimus_Steel » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:00 pm

tiderulz wrote:teams would just dump it to the post and opposing centers would shoot over AG or destroy him in the post. he is not a physical defender

And he has a short wing span.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
aka: prorl
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#10 » by OrlandO » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:40 pm

I don't think he has the strength in his legs to play big minutes at C. Would take a lot of abuse from too many Cs at this point and that could impact his play on the other end. The league will have to continue evolving to the point where the majority of Cs become similarly sized to him.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,396

Post#11 » by Bensational » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:38 am

Isaac looks better suited to being a spot C in future. He's skinny, but bulk will only matter against C's who are bangers. He's still got the length and hops to get blocks and rebounds if he gets pushed out of position. Offensively, he'd open a lot of doors as a stretch 5 who could easily take any 5 off the dribble (except Draymond).
T-Cat
Sixth Man
And1: 428

Post#12 » by T-Cat » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:49 am

tiderulz wrote:teams would just dump it to the post and opposing centers would shoot over AG or destroy him in the post. he is not a physical defender

Defensively he would have problems right now because he would have to get stronger to battle other bigs!

I mean even Durant muscled him in the post!

All I'm saying is I like his upside more as a center defensively than Vucevic!

But his real value would be offensively in transition against other center's = BBQ chicken!
Darth Magic
Veteran
And1: 707

Post#13 » by Darth Magic » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:16 am

I think Issac has a better shot at being our future Centre than AG does. and honestly, I would love if that happened.

PG: Simmons
SG: Fournier
SF: Hezojna
PF: AG
C: Issac

Simmons-AG pick and roll with Fournier - Mario and Issac spreading ther floor. Yes please. :nod:
"Real Gs move in silence; like lasagna" Jeff Weltman
ivDT
RealGM
And1: 1,578

Post#14 » by ivDT » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:34 am

T-Cat wrote:

Defensively he would have problems right now because he would have to get stronger to battle other bigs!

I mean even Durant muscled him in the post!

All I'm saying is I like his upside more as a center defensively than Vucevic!

But his real value would be offensively in transition against other center's = BBQ chicken!

that's not really saying much.
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,184

Post#15 » by cedric76 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:59 am

Could biz be our pg?

Biz
Isaac
Ag
Mo
Vuc

However I'm not too sure about ag at sf but it might work

Sent from my SM-A310F using RealGM mobile app
Grayson or Monk? Bring the cheapest

unleash Jett next seaon
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,261

Post#16 » by pepe1991 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:16 am

Honestlly, Gordon might be most overhyped Orlando Magic player in team's history. People went from new Blake Griffin to "I'm thinking he could be a Anthony Davis/AK47 hybrid player for us! " and in mean time he is 11-12 ppg -6 rpg player without much offensive skills and ok but not elite defense. And when he played the best? When teams were tanking or resting for playoffs and magic were running like maniacs so he had chance to get lot of garbage putbacks and transition points. ( much like Kenneth Faried who in 2013-14, playing with highest pace team, averaged 20 ppg and 10 rpg in last two months just because fast pace allowed him to do so, not because he was that good )
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
drsd
RealGM

Post#17 » by drsd » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:42 am

OrlandoMagic wrote:People must forget physical and athletic don't mean the same thing

Indeed!

Physical:

Athletic:

Not the same !!!!!

drsd
RealGM

Post#18 » by drsd » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:50 am

pepe1991 wrote:Honestlly, Gordon might be most overhyped Orlando Magic player in team's history. People went from new Blake Griffin to "I'm thinking he could be a Anthony Davis/AK47 hybrid player for us! " and in mean time he is 11-12 ppg -6 rpg player without much offensive skills and ok but not elite defense. And when he played the best? When teams were tanking or resting for playoffs and magic were running like maniacs so he had chance to get lot of garbage putbacks and transition points. ( much like Kenneth Faried who in 2013-14, playing with highest pace team, averaged 20 ppg and 10 rpg in last two months just because fast pace allowed him to do so, not because he was that good )

+1

Looked it up, and was wowed by the answer.
Over three years, Gordon has been most similar to Ersan İlyasova. In other words Gordon so far projects as an 14/7 guy as his best-ever year.

Over his career, Gordon is most similar to a combo-wing: Landry Fields. Gordon would be projected to do more than be a five-year mashup that is retired by 26.

But the stats are not kind for Gordon.

So what is the upside for Gordon, he has started his career not to dissimilar as Gordon Hayward. Hayward needed year-4 to have his first acceptable year. And years 5 and 6 were real break-out seasons statistically.

If Gordon wants to be more Hayward and less İlyasova, this coming year he needs to be a 15/2/6 guy for the Magic.

ralphie9898
Analyst
And1: 390

Post#19 » by ralphie9898 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:27 am

yeah he could be our lone big guy and play a center like role in some lineups but no he is not a center. He isn't that physical and putting him there takes away one of his best assets and that is the athleticism to guard 4s and 3s and even guards when he has to switch. Wer tried him at SF for a reason. Now he is at PF and he has excelled there. He is a PF and even in today's game he isn't a center. Draymond isn't a good comparison as he is more physical then Gordon. Yeah he can be our 5 in some small ball lineups but he is a PF not a center.
ralphie9898
Analyst
And1: 390

Post#20 » by ralphie9898 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:35 am

T-Cat wrote:He's our most physical player in the post with an emerging offense game and could be a nightmare offensively at the 5 spot!

Obviously Jonathan Isaac could help him defend post players with his length and shot blocking presence, once he gets stronger!

I'm thinking he could be a Anthony Davis/AK47 hybrid player for us!

Imagine if Vogel utilizes this lineup in the future, we could change the way a lot of teams guard us!

Ag is not Anthony Davis. Davis is taller and far more skilled then Gordon. He is not our most physical player. He is probably our most athletic player but he is not that physical. He is best used at PF where we can use his great athleticism more as it gets lost putting him at center for any extended time. I don't know what you are seeing to where he can be Anthony Davis or Kirilenko who are taller and more skilled. And adding muscle and weight could hurt his athleticism. He also doesn't shoot it as well as those guys. Which is part of why he struggled at the 3 spot but it can hid at the 4 spot some.

Return to Orlando Magic