ImageImageImageImage

How good will Jaylon Smith be?

Moderator: Texas Chuck

Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,001

Re: How good will Jaylon Smith be? 

Post#21 » by Mr B » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:12 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:Is it just me, or is Jaylon Smith look too light for you guys? He looks very lean to me.

No, not to me. He's almost 250 lbs and I remember them saying that he's bigger from his college days. He added the weight in order to make to move to MLB. It is possible though that he's lost some weight just from all the running.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,242

Post#22 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Sep 7, 2017 2:22 pm

No set backs in preseason. Its time to snap on the helmet and see what we have in this kid. Lets hope he turns out to be another gem like Dak.
NickAndersonsBack25
Rookie
And1: 67

Post#23 » by NickAndersonsBack25 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:07 pm

He looked good, and he has a good person to learn from in Sean Lee.
Bobby Knight says:
"Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win."
"You don't play against opponents, you play against the game of basketball. "
Mr B
RealGM

Post#24 » by Mr B » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:53 am

There are a couple things I still want to see from him like having to cover a RB that is actually good coming out of the backfield, or when he finds himself having to cover a TE. What I saw was very encouraging though.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,974

Post#25 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:42 am

NickAndersonsBack25 wrote:He looked good, and he has a good person to learn from in Sean Lee.

He and Lee looked like they had really good chemistry out there. Looked like a couple of D-Men in hockey on several plays with their coordination. Combined 15 tackles between the two. I liked what I saw.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#26 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:12 pm

He sure hasn't looked good or able to pick up the slack since Sean Lee went down. Maybe Mr. B. was right. The knee just isn't ready or he is just simply over rated. Our defense has been shredded two weeks in a row now. And it has been almost a decade now that our LB's still can't cover good pass catching Rb's out of the back field let alone tackle them.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#27 » by Mr B » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:31 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:He sure hasn't looked good or able to pick up the slack since Sean Lee went down. Maybe Mr. B. was right. The knee just isn't ready or he is just simply over rated. Our defense has been shredded two weeks in a row now. And it has been almost a decade now that our LB's still can't cover good pass catching Rb's out of the back field let alone tackle them.

He’s definitely not healthy. When he’s out there you can that he sees where he needs to go he’s just not able to react fast enough. I’ve also noticed that when he does make a tackle he’s not able to drive through the tackle. When he makes contact he’s usually falling backward. He’s an absolute liability on the field.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#28 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:57 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:He sure hasn't looked good or able to pick up the slack since Sean Lee went down. Maybe Mr. B. was right. The knee just isn't ready or he is just simply over rated. Our defense has been shredded two weeks in a row now. And it has been almost a decade now that our LB's still can't cover good pass catching Rb's out of the back field let alone tackle them.

He’s definitely not healthy. When he’s out there you can that he sees where he needs to go he’s just not able to react fast enough. I’ve also noticed that when he does make a tackle he’s not able to drive through the tackle. When he makes contact he’s usually falling backward. He’s an absolute liability on the field.

You've summed it up better than I could ever have. He's chasing too much and overpursuing plays. His coverage skills are horrible.

I honestly hope it's just a case of learning the game and getting up to speed. Just don't know if his legs will allow that.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#29 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:29 pm

Once again, when Sea Lee was out, our defense stunk. Which tells me we are still extremely weak at LB. Jaylon Smith wasn't as impactful as I thought he was. LB, D-line and Wr are my top priorities this upcoming draft.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#30 » by Mr B » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:06 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:Once again, when Sea Lee was out, our defense stunk. Which tells me we are still extremely weak at LB. Jaylon Smith wasn't as impactful as I thought he was. LB, D-line and Wr are my top priorities this upcoming draft.

Wait, wait, wait... did you just suggest an offensive position should be targeted in the draft? Hahaha! Has hell officially frozen over?
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#31 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:27 am

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:Once again, when Sea Lee was out, our defense stunk. Which tells me we are still extremely weak at LB. Jaylon Smith wasn't as impactful as I thought he was. LB, D-line and Wr are my top priorities this upcoming draft.

Wait, wait, wait... did you just suggest an offensive position should be targeted in the draft? Hahaha! Has hell officially frozen over?

I'd love to go all out on defense again this year. But I am overly concerned with O-line depth and I hate our WR situation. Both Dez and Williams are horrible.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#32 » by Mr B » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:38 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:

I'd love to all out on defense again this year. But I am overly concerned with O-line depth and I hate our WR situation. Both Dez and Williams are horrible.

Just giving you a hard time. I actually agree that WR and OT have to be considered in the 1st round. If they go WR I would look at Courtland Sutton from SMU. I think Calvin Ridley from Bama will already be gone and Sutton will be the best WR available. He’s a stud though and has #1 WR written all over him.

bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#33 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:37 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:

I'd love to all out on defense again this year. But I am overly concerned with O-line depth and I hate our WR situation. Both Dez and Williams are horrible.

Just giving you a hard time. I actually agree that WR and OT have to be considered in the 1st round. If they go WR I would look at Courtland Sutton from SMU. I think Calvin Ridley from Bama will already be gone and Sutton will be the best WR available. He’s a stud though and has #1 WR written all over him.

But I still want a 1-Tech true DT and another LB. Defense baby. Defense. Can never have enough. I'm a libra and old school. It's my parents fault!! that's it, my parents fault. :wink: :eyebrows:
Mr B
RealGM

Post#34 » by Mr B » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:30 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:I'd love to all out on defense again this year. But I am overly concerned with O-line depth and I hate our WR situation. Both Dez and Williams are horrible.

But I still want a 1-Tech true DT and another LB. Defense baby. Defense. Can never have enough. I'm a libra and old school. It's my parents fault!! that's it, my parents fault. :wink: :eyebrows:

I really hope (pray) they draft Vita Vea if he’s in the board at 19. It wouldn’t be a sexy pick but it would help the team as much as it did when they drafted Fredrick in the 1st round. I agree 100% with Jimmy’s old theory that teams should be built from the inside out. A guy like Vea would do wonders for Jaylon Smith’s career.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#35 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu Feb 1, 2018 6:49 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:Is it just me, or is Jaylon Smith look too light for you guys? He looks very lean to me.

He's probably at the right weight. I just want to see him at the right skill set.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#36 » by Mr B » Fri Feb 2, 2018 6:38 am

Otis Driftwood wrote:

He's probably at the right weight. I just want to see him at the right skill set.

He should be playing on the Strong Side and occasionally rushing the passer. I’d love for then to draft Tremaine Edmunds and put him in the middle and move Jaylon to the SAM.
gravytrain24
Bench Warmer
And1: 312

Post#37 » by gravytrain24 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:41 am

I think smith can be a solid olb, he just needs time. This is a great draft bc multiple people can drop. Like Roquan Smith, can be the mlb to replace lee.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#38 » by Mr B » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:59 pm

gravytrain24 wrote:I think smith can be a solid olb, he just needs time. This is a great draft bc multiple people can drop. Like Roquan Smith, can be the mlb to replace lee.

I would love to get Roquan Smith and a lot of the latest mocks have him dropping to around 19. I’m not real sure where he plays though. He’s kind of small. The WLB is the best spot for him but Sean Lee is already playing that side. I think he might the too small for MLB, unless they draft a huge 1-tech DT (which we know they won’t). So that leaves SLB. I know he played that at Georgia some but again not sure about his size.
gravytrain24
Bench Warmer
And1: 312

Post#39 » by gravytrain24 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:47 am

Mr B wrote:
gravytrain24 wrote:I think smith can be a solid olb, he just needs time. This is a great draft bc multiple people can drop. Like Roquan Smith, can be the mlb to replace lee.

I would love to get Roquan Smith and a lot of the latest mocks have him dropping to around 19. I’m not real sure where he plays though. He’s kind of small. The WLB is the best spot for him but Sean Lee is already playing that side. I think he might the too small for MLB, unless they draft a huge 1-tech DT (which we know they won’t). So that leaves SLB. I know he played that at Georgia some but again not sure about his size.

A Smith sandwich with Lee filling would be great.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#40 » by Mr B » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:41 am

gravytrain24 wrote:
Mr B wrote:

A Smith sandwich with Lee filling would be great.

Sean Lee can’t play the middle anymore though because he can’t stay healthy.

Return to Dallas Cowboys