Pacers projected to have $47 million in cap space for '18

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

pacerfan1984
Ballboy
And1: 16

Pacers projected to have $47 million in cap space for '18 

Post#1 » by pacerfan1984 » Fri Sep 8, 2017 8:16 pm

RealGM is projecting the Pacers to have $47 million in cap space for the summer of '18 which is among the most in the NBA. I'm not sure who will be available next summer. Can anyone throw out potential players the Pacers might target??
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Re: Pacers projected to have $47 million in cap space for '18 

Post#2 » by pacers33granger » Fri Sep 8, 2017 8:25 pm

Depending on price Avery Bradley could be an interesting fit next to Dipo.

The big problem I see though is the majority of the good free agents are either out of our league (Lebron, Westbrook, etc.) or RFAs that we won't chase.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,305

Post#3 » by boomershadow » Fri Sep 8, 2017 9:02 pm

The thought that has been mulling around my brain is Isaiah Thomas. If other teams are leery of giving him the kind of contract he wants, I think it would be a good roll of the dice. If it worked out, he'd be a monster on the offensive end for us. And if it didn't, I don't think we'd likely to be much worse than the team would already be without making such a move. I don't think it's terribly likely to happen, or that many other Pacers fans will think it's a good idea, but it's what I've been thinking about.

I also like the idea of Cousins. Get him to the East and see if he can't bring a team some playoff success here. He couldn't do it in the West, but man is it brutal over there.

I don't think either are super realistic though. More likely, we try to build around the guys we have and add smaller names on smaller contracts around them.
Baller1234a
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,714

Post#4 » by Baller1234a » Fri Sep 8, 2017 9:31 pm

Get IT and Bradley for ~20 mill each
IT/Bradley/Turner can get you into the playoffs imo
Bet with Stillwater Celtics will finish 6th or higher in ECF Standings Regular Season(17-18). [WON]
Lazlo4D
Sophomore
And1: 81

Post#5 » by Lazlo4D » Fri Sep 8, 2017 10:18 pm

I was thinking that if Thaddeus Young opts out out his option year (2018-19 at $ 13.7M) then the Pacers have close to $ 60 Million in cap space possible. Likely to opt out to get more $ on the open market with more years.

Moving Victor Oladipo out without anything coming back, would give them $ 80M. At least economics wise, they could have several young players in place and build a super-team on top of that. Getting them here to Indiana would be the trick...
pacerfan1984
Ballboy
And1: 16

Post#6 » by pacerfan1984 » Fri Sep 8, 2017 11:52 pm

Lazlo4D wrote:I was thinking that if Thaddeus Young opts out out his option year (2018-19 at $ 13.7M) then the Pacers have close to $ 60 Million in cap space possible. Likely to opt out to get more $ on the open market with more years.

Moving Victor Oladipo out without anything coming back, would give them $ 80M. At least economics wise, they could have several young players in place and build a super-team on top of that. Getting them here to Indiana would be the trick...

Why would they ship Oladipo out?? Makes absolutely no sense after you just traded for him
Lazlo4D
Sophomore

Post#7 » by Lazlo4D » Sat Sep 9, 2017 1:37 am

pacerfan1984 wrote:Why would they ship Oladipo out?? Makes absolutely no sense after you just traded for him

If, next summer, there were 3 or 4 superstars that wanted to play together in the Eastern "Cupcake" Conference and they needed a team with $80M or more of cap space to make it happen, then you shipping Oladipo out could help you accomplish that. That's why I mentioned it. Otherwise, I would agree, there is no reason to do it.

Obviously very unlikely but then again, 10 years ago, who would have predicted the GS, OKC, or Cleveland as SuperTeams or close to it.
HurricaneDij25
Junior
And1: 276

Post#8 » by HurricaneDij25 » Sat Sep 9, 2017 3:46 pm

Unless anyone thinks Westbrook would consider coming here to play with ex-teammates Oladipo and Sabonis I don't think it's worth the time or effort to deplete payroll for this FA class of 2018.
tocooks101
Senior
And1: 429

Post#9 » by tocooks101 » Sat Sep 9, 2017 5:06 pm

Jabari Parker, IT, Noel, Smart and Mcdermott would be my top 5 I am targeting.
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 825

Post#10 » by Pacersike » Sat Sep 9, 2017 11:17 pm

The Pacers better have some other tricks up their sleeves, because I see very few good players interested in joining a mediocre team that has Turner and Dipo as it's best players unless we offer them silly money. Which we won't because we're on a budget.

We should be thanking heaven and earth if CoJo plays well and the Pacers are able to re-sign him. Other free agents that the Pacers realistically can get, are pretty much on the same tier as CoJo. The tiers above just seem out of reach.

To think otherwise is a bit weird if I'm honest. Especially because in the other thread of the Pacers making the playoffs the majority was saying the Pacers would miss the playoffs. It's either one or the other. Lottery, cold, small market teams don't get good free agents. Though I must admit Indianapolis doesn't have those terrible hurricanes that other cities get sometimes.

David West might have been the only good free agency signing in (more than) a decade and he was coming off ACL surgery.
This is exactly why Oladipo and his 4 years contract represent so much value to the Pacers. Give him more options and he could go Teague on us and sign for another team. Even the Oladipo's of the NBA are that hard to get for our team.

I'd say let us not overpay for midget point guards or other starting shooting guards and try to build the right way by being patient and get/acquire some draft picks that will give us good players. Hopefully without diva mentality this time.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#11 » by basketballwacko2 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:45 am

Lazlo4D wrote:I was thinking that if Thaddeus Young opts out out his option year (2018-19 at $ 13.7M) then the Pacers have close to $ 60 Million in cap space possible. Likely to opt out to get more $ on the open market with more years.

Oladipo is not gonna get traded.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#12 » by basketballwacko2 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:56 am

tocooks101 wrote:Jabari Parker, IT, Noel, Smart and Mcdermott would be my top 5 I am targeting.

Parker and IT are gonna have to prove they can play. Noel is a limited player who wants huge money, he turned down $17 million for 4 yrs, McDermott hasn't show me that he's worth more than $5-6 million per yr. Smart is a good defender is he a point or shooting guard?

No matter how much cap space the pacers have it's unlikely they sign anyone who matters.
tocooks101
Senior

Post#13 » by tocooks101 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:42 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
tocooks101 wrote:Jabari Parker, IT, Noel, Smart and Mcdermott would be my top 5 I am targeting.

Parker and IT are gonna have to prove they can play. Noel is a limited player who wants huge money, he turned down $17 million for 4 yrs, McDermott hasn't show me that he's worth more than $5-6 million per yr. Smart is a good defender is he a point or shooting guard?

No matter how much cap space the pacers have it's unlikely they sign anyone who matters.

We will likely have the most cap space in the league, who do you think we should target?
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#14 » by basketballwacko2 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:57 am

tocooks101 wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:

We will likely have the most cap space in the league, who do you think we should target?

I have not seen a list of Free Agents for next summer. I would not force anything and sign some guy to a huge contract. I'd rather use the space to help some team make a deal and get paid off #1 picks the philly has done.
tocooks101
Senior

Post#15 » by tocooks101 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:10 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
tocooks101 wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:

I have not seen a list of Free Agents for next summer. I would not force anything and sign some guy to a huge contract. I'd rather use the space to help some team make a deal and get paid off #1 picks the philly has done.

That is a solid strategy, not sure thats the approach our front office is going to take based on Pritchards comments about the PG trade and the direction Simon wants to go. I think we will definitely be in the market to overpay for some top FA's.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#16 » by basketballwacko2 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:31 pm

They have done it before giving outrageous contracts to players like Croshere, and Tinsely. Most of the time the Pacers over pay on their own players. At one time JO was the 2nd highest paid player in the NBA.
Lazlo4D
Sophomore

Post#17 » by Lazlo4D » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:43 pm

Isaiah Thomas and Avery Bradley were key pieces of the Celtic teams that have been pretty good the last couple years. They are now on Cleveland and Detroit respectively but will be unrestricted next summer. Either or both would be nice additions to the Pacers.

The Lakers are likely going to have to renounce Julius Randle to finish off their tampering plans and sign Lebron, Westbrook, George or whoever. He might be a young player with potential to pickup.
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#18 » by Moooose » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:12 am

I'd like Randle and KCP. Just like Lazlo said, the Lakers will probably let Randle walk. His game is improving and won't demand much usage.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#19 » by LloydFree » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:00 pm

If Thaddeus Young opts out and can get another GM to give him another 13 million per deal, his agent should be labeled a genius.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,072

Post#20 » by Wizop » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:04 pm

Dipo is the two. Turner is the five. Is Joseph the one we want? Is GRob the three? Leaf or Sabonis the four? If we have a high lottery pick, does the draft give us a one, three, or four? If the draft gives us a two or a five would we try Dipo at one or Turner at four? Could Sabonis or Ike be starting caliber fives pushing Turner to four?.

I'm not ready to answer any of these questions without seeing the team play this year.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.

Return to Indiana Pacers