Thunder Offseason Trade Game

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

Dn4sty
Analyst
And1: 1,906

Thunder Offseason Trade Game 

Post#1 » by Dn4sty » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:56 pm

I talked to Andre Roberstan about this idea, and he said to run with it. If you are like me, you are suffering major NBA withdrawals. I figured this might be a way to pass some time between now and the beginning of the season.

Here is the game: The Thunder are all in this season and you have been tasked with bringing this roster to its highest peak. You will make trade(s) and sign free agent(s) in order to produce the best Thunder roster possible for this season.

Here are the rules:

1. Russ and PG13 are off limits via trade
2. Steven Adams is nearly untouchable in trade as well. He can be traded, but the return has to be legit.
3. Luxury tax is a concern, but takes a back set to improving the team.
4. Trades MUST be within the realm of possibility and be realistic (you aren't getting KAT for Singler).

The members of this forum will have a week or so to make whatever roster changes they feel makes this team best. They will post their trade(s) and free agent singing(s), the rationale for the trade(s) and free agent(se), and final roster. At the conclusion, everyone will vote on which team they fill would give the Thunder the best chance at winning at the highest level possible.

***Carmelo will not accept a trade to the Thunder in this game***
Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,623

Re: Thunder Offseason Trade Game 

Post#2 » by Andre Roberstan » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:12 pm

His Melo point is worth noting. Any guy who has a no-trade clause (or a situation close to it, e.g. Nerlens Noel) SHOULD be off-limits.
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 911

Post#3 » by retrobro90 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:43 am

At or around the deadline. Two teams that could be out of the playoff hunt and possibly willing to be vet sellers for future talent: IND, LAC. Indy probably has the better chance to make the playoffs because of the east and I doubt they'd take on a tanking philosophy. LAC's chances of making it dwindle on account of Griffin not returning until December and many of their pieces don't quite fit. The goal with either of these trades is to bring in another 2 way playmaker to OKC that can play both guard positions (with and without Russ on the floor).

IND trade idea.

OKC OUT: Terrance Ferguson, Doug Mcdermott, Raymond Felton, OKC 2018 2nd

OKC IN: Cory Joseph, IND 2018 2nd

LAC trade idea.

OKC OUT: Alex Abrines, Raymond Felton, OKC 2018 2nd

OKC IN: Patrick Beverley
Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Re: RE: Re: Thunder Offseason Trade Game 

Post#4 » by Pillendreher » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:37 pm

retrobro90 wrote:OKC IN: Patrick Beverley

I hereby banish you from these lands. Be gone, wretched beast.
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,188

Post#5 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:19 pm

retrobro90 wrote:
IND trade idea.

OKC OUT: Terrance Ferguson, Doug Mcdermott, Raymond Felton, OKC 2018 2nd

OKC IN: Cory Joseph, IND 2018 2nd

LAC trade idea.

OKC OUT: Alex Abrines, Raymond Felton, OKC 2018 2nd

OKC IN: Patrick Beverley

I feel like both those trades have us overpaying for the incoming players.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Balkman32
Lead Assistant
And1: 808

Post#6 » by Balkman32 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:23 pm

Pillendreher wrote:

I would actually Love for the Thunder to add Beverley. But, I would not deal Abrines. He has some serious Ginobili in his game.
Dn4sty
Analyst

Post#7 » by Dn4sty » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:33 pm

I'm working on my final team. Thank goodness for the trade exceptions.
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#8 » by Pillendreher » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:51 pm

Balkman32 wrote:
Pillendreher wrote:

I would actually Love for the Thunder to add Beverley. But, I would not deal Abrines. He has some serious Ginobili in his game.

gtfo

"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 911

Post#9 » by retrobro90 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:17 pm

Russ and Bev have buried the hatchet. If they're on the same team theres no reason for any animosity. Bev's skill set is pretty much EXACTLY what Russ needs next to him in the back court.

Also overall I think OKC fans are a little too high on Abrines. I like him as well and I expect him to have a good year but there's no way he's got Ginobili in his game outside of being foreign and spanish speaking. Bev is an established player that has Abrines licked on either end of the floor. Alex can't be a primary handler/facilitator. Bev can. Beverley is also one of the premier defenders for his position and Alex gets routinely burned with any good dribble penetrator. Alex is also 24. I know he was a rookie last season but outside of whatever jump he makes this year it's gonna be hard for him to get meaningful improvement in the subsequent seasons. To me, he seems like he'll sort of always be an above average bench player. I know that's unpopular but I think it's just wise to sell a guy like that while his value is skewed upwards.

For the Indy trade: If it's an overpay on our part maybe instead we swap out Mcdermott for Singler and IND keeps their 2nd?
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#10 » by bondom34 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:23 pm

Yep, I'd take Bev. Russ is cool w/ him, so am I.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Balkman32
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by Balkman32 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:22 pm

retrobro90 wrote:Russ and Bev have buried the hatchet. If they're on the same team theres no reason for any animosity. Bev's skill set is pretty much EXACTLY what Russ needs next to him in the back court.

Also overall I think OKC fans are a little too high on Abrines. I like him as well and I expect him to have a good year but there's no way he's got Ginobili in his game outside of being foreign and spanish speaking. Bev is an established player that has Abrines licked on either end of the floor. Alex can't be a primary handler/facilitator. Bev can. Beverley is also one of the premier defenders for his position and Alex gets routinely burned with any good dribble penetrator. Alex is also 24. I know he was a rookie last season but outside of whatever jump he makes this year it's gonna be hard for him to get meaningful improvement in the subsequent seasons. To me, he seems like he'll sort of always be an above average bench player. I know that's unpopular but I think it's just wise to sell a guy like that while his value is skewed upwards.

For the Indy trade: If it's an overpay on our part maybe instead we swap out Mcdermott for Singler and IND keeps their 2nd?

Abrines can shoot it. We have never had a sharp shooter from 3. Now we want to deal our best shot at one for a backup PG. I like Beverley and I do as well think he is a nice fit with Russell because they can play together. I always felt like Beverley brought out the best in Westbrook. I don't think it matters which side of the court he is on for this to continue. I also think having Beverley in a Rockets and/or Warriors series would be BIG. I doubt the Clippers sell low. But, I would tend to think that the 2018 Bulls 2nd rounder could fetch Beverley by it self. I also really wonder if the Clips might entertain blowing it up after watching the first couple months of the season. Blake could be dealt after Jan 15. I think the Thunder would give up alot to get Blake and Beverley.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by bondom34 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:06 pm

Bev shot more 3s at a higher percentage than Abrines last year.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#13 » by Pillendreher » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:10 pm

Patrick Beverley himself might have cost us several titles with that stunt he pulled. But alas, all is forgotten.
Balkman32
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by Balkman32 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:45 pm

bondom34 wrote:Bev shot more 3s at a higher percentage than Abrines last year.

I bet Abrines passes him this year and for the rest of their careers. Abrines is going to be a good one. Plus he is confidant.
Balkman32
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by Balkman32 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:47 pm

Pillendreher wrote:Patrick Beverley himself might have cost us several titles with that stunt he pulled. But alas, all is forgotten.

Not forgotten but now he owes us back pay. He would fit the backup PG spot and give us another guy who can play some minutes at the 2 and maybe guard the really good PG and let Russ take a break from guarding the best guy.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by bondom34 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:07 pm

Balkman32 wrote:

I bet Abrines passes him this year and for the rest of their careers. Abrines is going to be a good one. Plus he is confidant.

I like him too but Bev shoots over 38 percent career. It was a below average year and shot better.
Dn4sty
Analyst

Post#17 » by Dn4sty » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:10 am

So he question I keep trying to answer is basically this:

Does a pretty substantial trade now enhance the ability of OKC to be able to pounce on a deal for a player like Griffin/Barnes at the deadline or does it hurt it?

For instance is Wes Matthews/Seth Curry/Yogi Ferrell a more attractive package than Kanter/McDermott/Ferguson. I lean towards yes, but am not completely convinced, because I think the Bulls 2018 2nd would need to be in the deal for either trade.

I lean towards using the rest of the Ilyasova trade exception, but first need to clear a roster spot.

Lastly I'm probably going to considered crazy by some, but I actually like having a player with Kanter skill set on this roster (even if he's overpaid). You could likely get Okafor from Philly and replace much of what you get from Kanter, but again Philly likely wants Bulls 2018 2nd.

In the end I'm leaning towards figuring out a way to add a microwave scorer (Seth curry/Will Barton) and another young PF (Trey Lyles maybe???) unless the Pacers suddenly are open to trading Thaddeus Young.

It seems like I've worked through about 50 different scenarios. I'm still not completely set on what I think is best.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by bondom34 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:02 am

Barton's a guy I really like. Other than that a PF would be nice, though trying to find the right one is tough.
Atomic Punk
Pro Prospect
And1: 328

Post#19 » by Atomic Punk » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:14 pm

bondom34 wrote:
Balkman32 wrote:

I like him too but Bev shoots over 38 percent career. It was a below average year and shot better.

I hate Beverly like poison, but.....he would definitely help. I wouldn't give up the pick though.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by bondom34 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:37 pm

Atomic Punk wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
Balkman32 wrote:

I hate Beverly like poison, but.....he would definitely help. I wouldn't give up the pick though.

That's fair, not sure he has that much value myself. Just as a player he'd definitely help a ton.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder