ImageImageImageImageImage

2017 Offseason Thread

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Re: 2017 Offseason Thread 

Post#661 » by MartinToVaught » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:37 am

Akklaim1 wrote:I don't know where else to post this. But a quick question for my fellow Kings and Clipper fans here. With no more deep playoff expectations, which means no pressure, which team LA team gives their fans a little bit more optimism? The Kings or the Clippers? Both teams are kinda in a similar situation, except the Kings have a new coach and the Clippers are still stuck with Doc.

Definitely the Clippers right now. I don't trust Rob Blake one bit as the Kings' GM. I'm still not over the way he quit on us as a player. It feels like we're doing what bad hockey franchises usually do and hiring the "good ole' boys" to run the show.
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 71,840

Post#662 » by Wiltside » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:10 pm

Big changes this offseason in Clipperville, but I'm kind of excited to see how you go. The old core was getting stale.

Biggest questions for you guys:

1. Can Blake stay healthy?
2. Who starts at PG? Beverley or Teodosic?
3. Is this DJ's last year in LAC?
4. Will Gallinari justify the investment?

We've penned some broader thoughts on the offseason, and how the offense might look with Blake Griffin being your defacto PG. I'd be interested in your thoughts: https://thefourpointplay.blog/2017/09/13/nba-clippers-season-preview/
Formerly BG44, MB30 and Wade County at BasketballForum.com
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#663 » by GimmeDat » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:47 am

Any insight on Diamond Stone? Do you think he has potential as an NBA player?
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#664 » by Neddy » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:02 am

GimmeDat wrote:Any insight on Diamond Stone? Do you think he has potential as an NBA player?

old school center. he can't run, but he can shoot from mid range and has some post moves. a great score in a slow paced half court game. can't play much defense, not a rim protector. won't be able to catch up to today's fast paced NBA. can fill up space but surprisingly a bad rebounder for his size. but he does possess one hell of a name.
ehhhhh f it.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,898

Post#665 » by esqtvd » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:53 am

Neddy wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:Any insight on Diamond Stone? Do you think he has potential as an NBA player?

old school center. he can't run, but he can shoot from mid range and has some post moves. a great score in a slow paced half court game. can't play much defense, not a rim protector. won't be able to catch up to today's fast paced NBA. can fill up space but surprisingly a bad rebounder for his size. but he does possess one hell of a name.

Remember how long DJ was mediocre as he slowly learned the NBA trade. And the Kings invested 2 years in Hassan Whiteside--also age 20 and drafted in the 2nd round like DJ and Diamond--until they finally gave up and cut him loose. He kicked around not only in D-League but also in China and with something called Al Mouttahed Tripoli of the Lebanese Basketball League until at age 25, suddenly the light went on and he was an NBA-ready beast. A Miami team that was going nowhere gave him a WTF shot at mid-season and the rest is big-money history.

Here's a recent thing on Diamond, who remains unsigned to even a 2-way despite a decent Summer League showing.

https://www.ridiculousupside.com/2017/9/11/16283788/whats-going-on-with-diamond-stone-nba-gleague-nbagl-gleague-atlanta-hawks
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#666 » by GimmeDat » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:37 am

Neddy wrote:

Thanks for the insight, sounds like his college scouting reports still ring true.

Do you think he can develop beyond those limitations, though? He seems to have decent size/length for a C, and while he may not be super mobile or athletic, the sort of measurements he possesses you would hope could turn him in to a solid rim protector at least. Any particular reasons you think he's been a bad rebounder?

esqtvd wrote:Remember how long DJ was mediocre as he slowly learned the NBA trade. And the Kings invested 2 years in Hassan Whiteside--also age 20 and drafted in the 2nd round like DJ and Diamond--until they finally gave up and cut him loose. He kicked around not only in D-League but also in China and with something called Al Mouttahed Tripoli of the Lebanese Basketball League until at age 25, suddenly the light went on and he was an NBA-ready beast. A Miami team that was going nowhere gave him a WTF shot at mid-season and the rest is big-money history.

Bulls just signed him, btw. The examples you're throwing around give me hope, but DJ and Hassan had undeniable athletic upside that they 'put together'. Do you think Stone is too slow/unathletic to have much upside or if he gets it together he can be a really solid NBA player?
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#667 » by esqtvd » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:35 pm

Diamond scored 31 in his D/G-League debut, but as Neddy says, that's old school. He doesn't seem to have the lunchbucket mentality and court sense that you want from a center in the 21st century. This blog seems spot-on.

https://www.blogabull.com/2017/9/14/16305956/bulls-sign-diamond-stone-to-partially-guaranteed-deal

This move is very likely a training camp signing as the Bulls bigs rotation is already crowded. With the Bulls already having Robin Lopez, Bobby Portis, Lauri Markkanen, and Cristiano Felicio, with Nikola Mirotic still unsigned but possible to return, there is a good chance Stone goes down to the G-League.

He was a 5-star recruit as a high school player, rated No. 6 in his class by ESPN. Went to Maryland with first round buzz, but they had a disappointing season and he was exposed as a slow, low post scorer during the exact time that type of player was being fazed out of the league. He can definitely score with his back to the basket, but he doesn't really seem athletic enough to be a rim protector at this level.

With that in mind, it looks it’s all but certain Stone is just a camp body and a G-League stint will likely be in his near future. Hopefully he can develop some more skills while in the G-League and learn how to be more versatile offensively.
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#668 » by Neddy » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:56 am

Diamond is already near ceiling imo. he needs to shed some weight, get lean, and run. if he can expand his range to a legit NBA 3 point line and do it consistently, and get slim enough to run without taxing his knees, then he could be a niche-role player in rotation. only way that I can see him growing into a star, is if he works his ass off far more than DJ ever had. DJ was always gonna be a late bloomer due to his childish ways, but his physical tools are even better than Blake. I can't put Diamond in that category.
ehhhhh f it.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#669 » by esqtvd » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:54 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#670 » by bondom34 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:27 am

Read on Twitter
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,288

Post#671 » by nickhx2 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:17 pm

excellent!
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#672 » by esqtvd » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:46 am

This whole NBA season is a lame-duck session

Read on Twitter

Cavs are dead man walking win or lose
LeBron to the Lakers because no other franchise makes sense
GSW the ultrateam

CP and Harden the only possible Cinderella
Clips last season in the LA sun before LBJ and PG

f***, man
Cassandra
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#673 » by MartinToVaught » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:16 pm

And why exactly are we believing the crap that spews out of Colin Cowherd's mouth? This is the same clown who said Bill Belichick was going to be Michigan's next coach after they fired Brady Hoke.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#674 » by esqtvd » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:07 pm

well, LeBron staying in Cleveland looks unlikely
and Herd is not the only one saying this
it was just an example, bro

I wonder how the Cavs fans will treat this season
like the Raider fans? Enjoy it while it lasts?

it's just so weird
hurricane's coming
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#675 » by MartinToVaught » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:12 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Forte IV
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,497

Post#676 » by Forte IV » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:14 pm

As much as people didn't like him, I'ma miss Mike Smith's extreme homerism. Settle down Bruce Bowen doesn't quite have the same ring to it.
If the Clippers win the championship next year I'm getting banned from RealGM
JGOJustin
Pro Prospect
And1: 726

Post#677 » by JGOJustin » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:28 pm

- Sad to see Mike go. Chemistry with him and Ralph was unmatched

- Optimistic about this season if they can stay healthy. The starting lineup to me is really good, potentially. Pat / Austin / Gallo provide some great shooting / scoring / two way potential, while Blake and DJ are blake and DJ. Really excited to see Austin as a full time starter.
@JamalCristopher - Come Back To California https://soundcloud.com/jamalcristopher/california
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,288

Post#678 » by nickhx2 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:14 am

oh that is actually really sad to me. i've watched mike for years and have always thought he was great with ralph, and assumed he'd stay on long after ralph had retired.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#679 » by esqtvd » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:01 am

Austin getting ready for his big opportunity
boom or bust

notice where he's shooting from
CP's old favorite spot, the right elbow
it's up for grabs now
plant your flag!

Read on Twitter
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#680 » by esqtvd » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:05 am

Man on a Mission

Austin RiversVerified account
@AustinRivers25
Just a dedicated man with big dreams to fulfill! Guard for the los Angeles Clippers , and former Blue Devil! M.o.a.M

Read on Twitter

Return to Los Angeles Clippers