The Official Metamoris/BJJ/Grappling Thread

Moderator: lilfishi22

REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Re: The Official Metamoris/BJJ/Grappling Thread 

Post#341 » by REDDzone » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:54 pm

I like Cobrinha but kind of hope Rafa comes out of retirement just to end that party next year.

Always been a big fan of JT, so happy to see him win gold.

I've never seen anyone so relaxed while rolling as Gordon Ryan. Did he ever so much as get out of breathe the entire tournament? Even in absolute when they had virtually no time between matches.

Yuri was limping to the podium which is probably why he didn't do Absolute. I think he would have had a great chance, especially since he beat Felipe at weight.

Not the biggest Buchecha fan except for the fact that I'm glad he dethroned Orlando Sanchez.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#342 » by REDDzone » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:56 pm

Gordon Ryan is hilarious btw. Back to back on Instagram yesterday (paraphrasing):

After he won weight: "What can you say now haters? I'm the best in the world!"
After he lost in Absolute: "Okay haters, I lost to Felipe again, lay it on me."
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,429

Post#343 » by Susan » Fri Dec 1, 2017 3:24 am

A big guy named Wes just joined my BJJ gym. Used to train with you Redd at 360.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#344 » by REDDzone » Fri Dec 1, 2017 4:06 am

Susan wrote:A big guy named Wes just joined my BJJ gym. Used to train with you Redd at 360.

This was a looong time ago because I can remember someone that we used to call "Big Wes" (lol) but I can't picture his face right now. Soo many people cycle in and out. He def wasn't around for long.

EDIT: This was killing me so I kept thinking about it and it came to me. He was a white belt when he was here but I think he was around for awhile, he was just kind of in and out. Nice guy though.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#345 » by REDDzone » Fri Dec 1, 2017 2:10 pm

BTW if anyone is interested and has fight pass, the EBI Absolutes is this Sunday. My teammate Dan Borovic is competing which is cool. Otherwise lots of good guys will be there, Gordon Ryan, etc.
Susan
RealGM

Post#346 » by Susan » Sat Dec 2, 2017 5:26 pm

REDDzone wrote:BTW if anyone is interested and has fight pass, the EBI Absolutes is this Sunday. My teammate Dan Borovic is competing which is cool. Otherwise lots of good guys will be there, Gordon Ryan, etc.

Saw he was matched up against Gordon...yeeesh.
REDDzone
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: The Official Metamoris/BJJ/Grappling Thread 

Post#347 » by REDDzone » Sat Dec 2, 2017 5:30 pm

Susan wrote:
REDDzone wrote:BTW if anyone is interested and has fight pass, the EBI Absolutes is this Sunday. My teammate Dan Borovic is competing which is cool. Otherwise lots of good guys will be there, Gordon Ryan, etc.

Saw he was matched up against Gordon...yeeesh.

Best case scenario. Nobody will care if he beats one of the lesser known guys and then loses to Gordon in the second round.

If he somehow beats Gordon, and Dan is a strong starter for sure, then we have an effing Eddie/Royler situation on our hands lol. Ryan is the hottest grappler on the planet right now. Or at least second behind Pena after what he did at ADCC.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#348 » by REDDzone » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:16 pm

Well, five and a half years later, this finally happened: promoted to purple.

If I look like I had just been put through the ringer by a host of browns and blacks just before this picture, its because I was.

Susan
RealGM

Post#349 » by Susan » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:53 pm

Congrats!!
Susan
RealGM

Post#350 » by Susan » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:00 am

REDDzone wrote:Well, five and a half years later, this finally happened: promoted to purple.

If I look like I had just been put through the ringer by a host of browns and blacks just before this picture, its because I was.

Both of your guys (Roberts and Radke) had to fight our monster in the advanced no-gi at the Grappling Games. Dude wrestled at Purdue at HW and is a really awesome dude but I feel bad that out of everybody in the tournament it had to be 360 guys that he faced.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#351 » by REDDzone » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:36 am

If he beat Charlie he's really legit, that dude is a problem. Was it absolute or something? Not sure why they would be the same weight class otherwise, as I think Charlie walks around at ~185, despite fighting mma at 155.
Susan
RealGM

Post#352 » by Susan » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:28 am

REDDzone wrote:If he beat Charlie he's really legit, that dude is a problem. Was it absolute or something? Not sure why they would be the same weight class otherwise, as I think Charlie walks around at ~185, despite fighting mma at 155.

Yea, absolute.

Dude's 265 and is so technical. Used to train with McCorkle and Mitrone. I think he beat Charlie by points 10-0. In no-gi I'll hit a triangle on him maybe 1/10 times (every other time he'll shrug it off) and I'm able to take his back because wrestlers love to arm drag themselves in guard.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#353 » by REDDzone » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:37 am

Sounds like a beast! Post vids if any come across your timeline. Would have been cool to see what would have happened if Borovic was there. I saw Charlie get just barely edged out by Dante in competition. Him losing to anyone is a rarety tbh.
Susan
RealGM

Post#354 » by Susan » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:04 pm

REDDzone wrote:Sounds like a beast! Post vids if any come across your timeline. Would have been cool to see what would have happened if Borovic was there. I saw Charlie get just barely edged out by Dante in competition. Him losing to anyone is a rarety tbh.

I want him to come to the next Brasa training. Between Dan, those new guys at Comrpidos who wrestled at U of I and the rest of the group it would be awesome to see.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#355 » by REDDzone » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:15 pm

Where do you train now?
Susan
RealGM

Post#356 » by Susan » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:22 pm

REDDzone wrote:Where do you train now?

Mission MMA in the city. Still with Brasa through Ramiro Mota.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#357 » by REDDzone » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:16 pm

Susan wrote:

Nice, got it. I was watching some of your guys out at World's. Can't believe how far Rohan has come in the last 2-3 years. Collar/sleeve, loop choke, collar/sleeve, loop choked his way to 4-5 victories at adult purple belt. Really impressive.
Susan
RealGM

Post#358 » by Susan » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:35 pm

REDDzone wrote:
Susan wrote:

Nice, got it. I was watching some of your guys out at World's. Can't believe how far Rohan has come in the last 2-3 years. Collar/sleeve, loop choke, collar/sleeve, loop choked his way to 4-5 victories at adult purple belt. Really impressive.

Brohan is a nomad.

But yeah, if you play his game he's really freaking good. I haven't rolled with him in a minute but he folds up like a cheap chair when passed. Nobody is as dedicated to the sport as that kid though and nobody gets made fun of as much as him.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#359 » by REDDzone » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:47 pm

I'd heard he's gotten really good recently, I haven't rolled with him in at least 2 years. But yea I'd guess he'd have a hard time if a you passed his guard given the size difference, regardless if he gives up. :) Also I'm completely down for the fun making.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#360 » by REDDzone » Sun Oct 7, 2018 12:12 am

This will get lost in the shuffle with tonight's event but I'm honestly kind of in awe of Gordon Ryan at this point. For him to sweep, pass, mount, and eventually submit Josh Barnett in like 4 minutes or whatever is honestly just jaw dropping to me. That kid is just amazing, despite the meh schtick.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts