Illegal Offense

DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Illegal Offense 

Post#1 » by DoItALL9 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:05 pm

Are these rules still in existence?

If so, what are your thoughts on Eliminating these listed below? It could give teams more options\open up creativity for coaches since so many fans believe the Warriors are unbeatable. The rules were created in the 80s because teams employing these methods "weren't opening up the game and weren't fun" but now PEOPLE ARE CLAMORING FOR MORE POST BASKETBALL! (Or just some variety instead of corner 3s)

Specifically, I'm referring to the "Charles Barkley" & "Michael Jordan" Rules, respectively :

(Charles Barkley)
A five-second count will begin if an offensive player with the ball and not facing-up starts dribbling below the free throw line extended while being closely guarded or starts dribbling outside and then penetrates below the free throw line extended while being closely guarded. (The five-second count commences when the offensive player penetrates the free throw line extended.) After five seconds, a violation will have occurred and the offensive team will lose possession.

(Michael Jordan)
There has been a growing propensity among coaches to move three men above the top of the key, thus clearing the way for two-man games or individual forays like those of Chicago's Michael Jordan. According to Rod Thorn, the league's vice president in charge of operations, those isolation tactics were "getting away from what the game is about. So, beginning this season (1987), a referee can call what will be known as an "illegal offense" and award the opposing team the ball to inbound.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/1987/09/21/nba-creates-an-illegal-offense-call/7cbd3cb1-9f67-4a11-bb0d-bcc991b74982/?utm_term=.509a558fabd3

Similar to illegal defense being scrapped (minus 3 in the key which is the same for both sides of the ball) why not allow more styles of offense for different personnel.
"Styles make fights" is the saying!

Sent from my LG-H872 using RealGM mobile app
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,676

Re: Illegal Offense 

Post#2 » by nedleeds » Sun Oct 1, 2017 1:05 pm

Jordan rule matter before zone was legal. Remember you had to play man to man. So 3 dudes would be off the court, then you had a post up HOFer and an entry passer. It was awesome.
Zenzibar wrote:Nevertheless, Payton is not a finished product yet and unless the team moves him in a couple of weeks, I anticipate him trending upward with this coaching staff.
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,662

Post#3 » by Smitty731 » Sun Oct 1, 2017 4:26 pm

This isn't really a CBA or Business topic and is best suited for the General Board.
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant

Re: RE: Re: Illegal Offense 

Post#4 » by DoItALL9 » Sun Oct 1, 2017 4:41 pm

nedleeds wrote:Jordan rule matter before zone was legal. Remember you had to play man to man. So 3 dudes would be off the court, then you had a post up HOFer and an entry passer. It was awesome.

I saw it as a rules issue as well as fan entertainment question. The rules were created because the competition committee felt the tactics were bad for business.
If you'd like to move it the GB that sounds fine though.

BdeRegt
Lead Assistant
And1: 724

Post#5 » by BdeRegt » Mon Oct 2, 2017 6:07 pm

MJ rule is a non-issue with change in illegal defense rules. Putting 3 guys way out there to have to be guarded doesn't matter anymore because teams can ignore them and play help defense. I think illegal defense change negates the Barkley rule as well. Teams can bring help so easily now that no one would be just backing down anyone. I don't think either of these rules going away would change anything as obvious because they aren't being called. If it was an advantage to use these tactics, teams would try to push them to the limit where you'd see them called.
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant

Re: RE: Re: Illegal Offense 

Post#6 » by DoItALL9 » Sat Oct 7, 2017 4:34 pm

Smitty731 wrote:This isn't really a CBA or Business topic and is best suited for the General Board.

Are you able to move it over there?

DoItALL9
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by DoItALL9 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:56 pm

Has the competition committee looked at eliminating offensive and defensive 3 seconds calls recently?

DBoys
Starter
And1: 221

Post#8 » by DBoys » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:42 pm

DoItALL9 wrote:Has the competition committee looked at eliminating offensive and defensive 3 seconds calls recently?

Doubt it.

Return to CBA & Business