ImageImageImageImageImage

Melo traded to OKC Thread (Cont.) - Put Melo stuff in here thanks xoxo Cap

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,309

Re: Melo traded to OKC Thread (Cont.) - Put Melo stuff in here thanks xoxo Cap 

Post#621 » by dakomish23 » Tue Oct 3, 2017 6:22 pm

Greenie wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
Greenie wrote:Yep....and then wonder why we suck on defense.

That **** went so much deeper than Melo. He’s gone now. Same ****, different day.

It will still be his fault, guaranteed.

People love stats until it doesn’t fit an agenda. The Knicks have had a garbage defense 14 of the last 15 years.

The one year we were good? Tyson was here...with Melo. Woody was our coach. :banghead:

Or they only use stats & ignore all context.

If Melo stayed, they'd be able to see just how devastating having a traffic cone at PG is to your team defense. Now, when we will look better on that end because Frank & Baker will get a lot of minutes at PG, they'll attribute it to Melo no longer being on the floor and ignore the DRose aspect.

Melo sucked on D, but nonstop PG penetration will kill you every time.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#622 » by Greenie » Tue Oct 3, 2017 6:39 pm

dakomish23 wrote:
Greenie wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
It will still be his fault, guaranteed.

People love stats until it doesn’t fit an agenda. The Knicks have had a garbage defense 14 of the last 15 years.

The one year we were good? Tyson was here...with Melo. Woody was our coach. :banghead:

Or they only use stats & ignore all context.

If Melo stayed, they'd be able to see just how devastating having a traffic cone at PG is to your team defense. Now, when we will look better on that end because Frank & Baker will get a lot of minutes at PG, they'll attribute it to Melo no longer being on the floor and ignore the DRose aspect.

Melo sucked on D, but nonstop PG penetration will kill you every time.

No one will deny Melo being a poor defensive player. Put his ass on a PF and he can be alright. Have his ass chasing SF’s on the perimeter and you deserve a garbage defense.
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#623 » by Sark » Tue Oct 3, 2017 6:47 pm

SelbyCobra wrote:
Read on Twitter

Dude really needs to stop with the hoodie now. It was funny during the summer, but now it's corny.
Rotten Apple
General Manager
And1: 5,113

Re: Melo traded to OKC Thread (Cont.) 

Post#624 » by Rotten Apple » Tue Oct 3, 2017 6:55 pm

NoStatsGuy wrote:
MDDN48 wrote:
sushibear wrote:
Lol oh shiet I forgot about him. Where do we put him?

Not that it means anything, but he started at the 3, for the open practice at the Garden today.

he wil play over kuz and Lance. probably see some time at the 4 aswell.

i dont know why the knicks in here hate dougie so much. hes a legit nba player unlinke kuz and baker for example

Doug just isn't good. I talked to Chicago fans and OKC fans, he's just not good, I think that's the kindest way to put it.
Rotten Apple
General Manager

Post#625 » by Rotten Apple » Tue Oct 3, 2017 6:56 pm

Sark wrote:
SelbyCobra wrote:
Read on Twitter

Dude really needs to stop with the hoodie now. It was funny during the summer, but now it's corny.

Why do things like that bother you? Kevin Love had one on yesterday for example. Lots of NBA players do it.
Rotten Apple
General Manager

Post#626 » by Rotten Apple » Tue Oct 3, 2017 6:57 pm

god shammgod wrote:
Knicksfan1992 wrote:
Greenie wrote:
It always comes from the coach. Lets run this back to our Knicks.

We entered last season without implementing a defensive scheme and the players actually said so. That’s why Rambis was placed in charge of it. Jeff never took the responsibility to handle that in his own so Phil appointed Kurt. That’s unacceptable....on Jeff’s behalf.

He better get it together.

All while playing guys out of position due to poor roster construction. A problem that still haunts us today.

i just heard the cavs are starting love, bron, crowder, wade, rose/i.t. - the knicks are gonna play 2 bigs against lineups like these ?

Kanter guarding Love with Porzingis/McDermott on Crowder/LeBron is going to be fun.
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,352

Post#627 » by F N 11 » Tue Oct 3, 2017 6:59 pm

Rotten Apple wrote:
NoStatsGuy wrote:
MDDN48 wrote:
Not that it means anything, but he started at the 3, for the open practice at the Garden today.

i dont know why the knicks in here hate dougie so much. hes a legit nba player unlinke kuz and baker for example

Doug just isn't good. I talked to Chicago fans and OKC fans, he's just not good, I think that's the kindest way to put it.

I read that he didnt get touches in the post where he is great at. Finally has a fast paced offense in which I think he can excel. Just play D.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
Rotten Apple
General Manager

Post#628 » by Rotten Apple » Tue Oct 3, 2017 7:01 pm

K P 6 wrote:
Rotten Apple wrote:
NoStatsGuy wrote:

I read that he didnt get touches in the post where he is great at. Finally has a fast paced offense in which I think he can excel. Just play D.

So if he's great in the post why would he finally excel in a fast paced offense? That doesn't really go together, I doubt Hornacek is going to call for post ups from the 3 spot. His 3s in Phoenix played more like Kuz.
F N 11
RealGM

Post#629 » by F N 11 » Tue Oct 3, 2017 7:06 pm

Rotten Apple wrote:
K P 6 wrote:
Rotten Apple wrote:

So if he's great in the post why would he finally excel in a fast paced offense? That doesn't really go together, I doubt Hornacek is going to call for post ups from the 3 spot. His 3s in Phoenix played more like Kuz.

what? He was good in the post in college guy. That was his bread and butter and he never got chances to do much of it in the NBA bc of his role. With minutes he can maybe show it off a bit. Have you seen him play? If so you would know he's a spot up shooter in the league and moves without the ball. Tailor made for how we are trying to play.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#630 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Tue Oct 3, 2017 7:14 pm

K P 6 wrote:
Rotten Apple wrote:
K P 6 wrote:I read that he didnt get touches in the post where he is great at. Finally has a fast paced offense in which I think he can excel. Just play D.

what? He was good in the post in college guy. That was his bread and butter and he never got chances to do much of it in the NBA bc of his role. With minutes he can maybe show it off a bit. Have you seen him play? If so you would know he's a spot up shooter in the league and moves without the ball. Tailor made for how we are trying to play.

This. I always felt he was somewhat miscast as simply a three point shooter (even though he's a damn good one both stationary and on the move) - he's MUCH more skilled scoring the ball than people give him credit for. He's always on the move when he's supposed to be (great at hitting empty spots when guards drive for the kick-out), can put the ball on the floor when guys close out too much, and can hit in the paint, mid-range, and from 3 (and deep 3). He's a scorer who's a great shooter, not necessarily someone who's only a spot up shooter. I think he'll get some minutes at the 3, but I'm personally looking forward to watching the offense when he and KP are at the 4/5.
Rotten Apple
General Manager

Post#631 » by Rotten Apple » Tue Oct 3, 2017 7:18 pm

K P 6 wrote:
Rotten Apple wrote:
K P 6 wrote:I read that he didnt get touches in the post where he is great at. Finally has a fast paced offense in which I think he can excel. Just play D.

He hasn't been good yet in the NBA by almost every standard. The people who have watched him have stated so. Again how's he gonna post up in a fast paced, up tempo offense. The ball will be in the Guards hands and if not then KP's. He was just filler in the trade anyway, I'm not gonna expect much out of a guy who's done nothing in his career so far. He's been just another guy, that aint gonna change.
Rotten Apple
General Manager

Post#632 » by Rotten Apple » Tue Oct 3, 2017 7:20 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
K P 6 wrote:
Rotten Apple wrote:

This. I always felt he was somewhat miscast as simply a three point shooter (even though he's a damn good one both stationary and on the move) - he's MUCH more skilled scoring the ball than people give him credit for. He's always on the move when he's supposed to be (great at hitting empty spots when guards drive for the kick-out), can put the ball on the floor when guys close out too much, and can hit in the paint, mid-range, and from 3 (and deep 3). He's a scorer who's a great shooter, not necessarily someone who's only a spot up shooter. I think he'll get some minutes at the 3, but I'm personally looking forward to watching the offense when he and KP are at the 4/5.

This post sounds so familiar lol

Anyway he didn't prove it to the Bulls nor the Thunder. I doubt he does it here, there's no evidence to support otherwise.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#633 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Tue Oct 3, 2017 7:27 pm

Rotten Apple wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
K P 6 wrote:what? He was good in the post in college guy. That was his bread and butter and he never got chances to do much of it in the NBA bc of his role. With minutes he can maybe show it off a bit. Have you seen him play? If so you would know he's a spot up shooter in the league and moves without the ball. Tailor made for how we are trying to play.

Anyway he didn't prove it to the Bulls nor the Thunder. I doubt he does it here, there's no evidence to support otherwise.

Familiar how? He absolutely did prove it on both teams. Just because he didn't get the opportunity to do it every time down doesn't mean it wasn't there.
F N 11
RealGM

Post#634 » by F N 11 » Tue Oct 3, 2017 7:28 pm

Rotten Apple wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
K P 6 wrote:what? He was good in the post in college guy. That was his bread and butter and he never got chances to do much of it in the NBA bc of his role. With minutes he can maybe show it off a bit. Have you seen him play? If so you would know he's a spot up shooter in the league and moves without the ball. Tailor made for how we are trying to play.

NBA is about opportunity and the knicks have a huge one right there and he started the open practice which was a hint. Lets see who starts tonight.
Rotten Apple
General Manager

Post#635 » by Rotten Apple » Tue Oct 3, 2017 7:33 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
Rotten Apple wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:

Familiar how? He absolutely did prove it on both teams. Just because he didn't get the opportunity to do it every time down doesn't mean it wasn't there.

The player you described then saying him and KP at the 4/5, sounds really familiar lol

Anyway, so two teams he previously been on have seen him do everything you posted and decided to just not give him more minutes to do all of that? I don't buy it man.
Rotten Apple
General Manager

Post#636 » by Rotten Apple » Tue Oct 3, 2017 7:36 pm

K P 6 wrote:
Rotten Apple wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:

NBA is about opportunity and the knicks have a huge one right there and he started the open practice which was a hint. Lets see who starts tonight.

I don't care if he starts, I'm just saying he's not the player you or others think he is, if he proves me wrong fine(he won't).
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,653

Post#637 » by Knicksfan1992 » Tue Oct 3, 2017 7:37 pm

Rotten Apple wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:

Like Kt said those weren't great situations for him to prove it in. The Bulls were a contending team when he got drafted and last year had 3 guys who demanded the ball in their hands and Doug kind of had to play off the ball all the time as a role player which he was very good at I might add. He also had to contend for minutes with a very similar player to him in Mirotic.

Then he joined a Thunder team late in the season with Westbrook pretty much hogging the ball and doing everything while not having time to really gel with anyone.

Now he's coming to a team that doesn't have a classic iso scorer or dominant ball handler and he should get way more varied touches over the course of the season. We'll see if he produces or if he still slots in to a one trick pony role. With KP at the 5 sometimes I suspect Doug is going to have some of the best spacing he's ever seen at the NBA level (Both OKC and Chicago were mediocre from deep and filled with wings who couldn't shoot consistently). I think he'll be a nice piece for us going forward.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 81,776

Post#638 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Oct 3, 2017 7:39 pm

Sark wrote:
SelbyCobra wrote:
Read on Twitter

Mother Melo
Rotten Apple
General Manager

Post#639 » by Rotten Apple » Tue Oct 3, 2017 7:39 pm

Knicksfan1992 wrote:
Rotten Apple wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:

Like Kt said those weren't great situations for him to prove it in. The Bulls were a contending team when he got drafted and last year had 3 guys who demanded the ball in their hands and Doug kind of had to play off the ball all the time as a role player which he was very good at I might add. He also had to contend for minutes with a very similar player to him in Mirotic.

Then he joined a Thunder team late in the season with Westbrook pretty much hogging the ball and doing everything while not having time to really gel with anyone.

Now he's coming to a team that doesn't have a classic iso scorer or dominant ball handler and he should get way more varied touches over the course of the season. We'll see if he produces or if he still slots in to a one trick pony role. With KP at the 5 sometimes I suspect Doug is going to have some of the best spacing he's ever seen at the NBA level (Both OKC and Chicago were mediocre from deep and filled with wings who couldn't shoot consistently). I think he'll be a nice piece for us going forward.

All he did in the scrimmage was spot up, albeit he hit the shots at a good clip but I just don't see this array of offensive ability. College and the pros are different.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#640 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Tue Oct 3, 2017 7:43 pm

Rotten Apple wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
Rotten Apple wrote:

The player you described then saying him and KP at the 4/5, sounds really familiar lol

Anyway, so two teams he previously been on have seen him do everything you posted and decided to just not give him more minutes to do all of that? I don't buy it man.

20 minutes off the bench isn't much...? I don't think he's a starter, but saying he didn't show anything is simply wrong. The closest he's been in to the offense we will be running (more free flowing) was in Chicago, and he absolutely showed his versatility. Even in OKC when the entire offense was Westbrook, he was able to show some of his versatility, even if it was more limited because of the lack of creativity on offense.

Return to New York Knicks